The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
The Rams drafted Ogletree to contain Krapernick and Wilson. And it worked.

It exposed if you flush Krapernick out of the pocket and contain him from running he has no game.

And that was the end of Krapernicks playing career. He seriously is not that good as a QB.

oldnotdead

Legend
DX you should look at other contracts before you make assertions that Goff's contract is hard to move around. Nothing could be farther from the truth. His contract is actually cheaper than Watson's by a wide margin.

The truth is this all much about nothing. The Rams have an out in his contract after this coming season if they want to move on from Goff. IMO they will draft a QB and give him a year to develop. This will give Goff one more year to re-establish himself as the unquestioned starter. This season was atypical in more than one way. Also,T Goff's contract isn't the issue actually. His contract allowed them to extend Woody and Ramsey. The real problem is the huge drop in cap. That should begin to turn around next year as the vaccines will begin to turn things around.

So with a huge drop in the cap it's all a matter of surviving this year and it makes no sense to jeopardize the extension of the two biggest priorities, Floyd and Williams. They can make room for Floyd by releasing Whitworth and Havenstein and other dead weight. I'd rather have Floyd and Williams than Whitworth and Havenstein. They can trade Havenstein to Staley.

Williams being a RFA is an advantage. I wouldn't trust tagging him. Just extend him now for 5 years with this year being a cap friendly number. This will give the Rams 2 of the best lockdown CBs. It would be foolish to make big roster moves like trades this year. Jared proved how good he can be. Time to evolve Sean's finesse offense into a combination of finesse passing with power running. They have a solid backup in Wolford. There is simply no need to panic and make a difficult situation worse.

The Rams simply need to weather this reduced cap problem and continue forward improving their depth this year. Their priority this year IMO will be edge opposite Floyd.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im gonna be pissed if out Oline doesnt change/improve next year. Im still annoyed that we didnt draft any oline until the 7th round in 2020. We drafted Bryce Hopkins in the 4th who didnt do anything this year. McVay loves tight ends but he doesnt seem to draft them well... Gerald everett is meh and was a reach also.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Does anyone else watch Snead talk and wonder how he has a job as an NFL GM?
Im gonna be pissed if out Oline doesnt change/improve next year. Im still annoyed that we didnt draft any oline until the 7th round in 2020. We drafted Bryce Hopkins in the 4th who didnt do anything this year. McVay loves tight ends but he doesnt seem to draft them well... Gerald everett is meh and was a reach also.

Disagree about Everett. He wasn’t a reach, he just didn’t make the jump. He’s shown flashes of what could be, and then drops. He reminds me a lot of Kenny Britt. Looks the part, and will always have you thinking that “this is the year he puts it together.”

RamWoodie

Legend
I just ain't buying all the talk about Goff right now.

Just like the Rams were "closed mouthed" and up and let Gurley go...the same thing could happen here.

I'll say this to McVay though before he gives up on Goff...he needs to look in the mirror because he's the one calling the plays. I'm just saying, McVay gets kinda "Mike Martzish" with the offense.

How many times in the Green Bay game did he roll Goff out???

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
So ill put is this way

You have to chose between keeping mcvay or keep goff.

what would you do? You don't have to answer if you don't want to.

Replacing the coach and the QB is a crap shoot

But I think the answer is obvious.....

But that's a false choice. We don't have to make that decision at this time. WTF are McVay and Snead drinking?

Shuie3225

Starter
I'll say this to McVay though before he gives up on Goff...he needs to look in the mirror because he's the one calling the plays. I'm just saying, McVay gets kinda "Mike Martzish" with the offense.

Don't think you were paying close attention to our boot legs the last 6 games of the season or so. Teams were having their edge defender stay home, and rush Goff as soon as he came out of his play fake. Every single PA boot there was someone right in Goffs face immediately. We ran it so much teams started taking it away. Its funny how people just assume McVay doesn't know what hes doing and "decided" to go away from it.

Teams made it a focus to stop it, because it was a big part of our passing offense. They forced Goff to sit in the pocket, read the defense, and go through his progressions...which he doesn't do well. McVay didn't just stop running boots for no reason. Come on man.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well, since this is the main subject of the offseason here is a good run down of exactly what would happen with our cap depending on how Goff is moved IF he is moved. Obviously, the only likely scenario is a pre-June 1st trade.

Pre-June 1 cut

2021 dead cap: $65.525 million 2021 cap savings: -$30.9 million A quick glance at the above numbers makes it very clear that the Rams are not going to cut Goff. If they keep him on the roster, he'll cost them $34.625 million – still a hefty figure. If they cut him before June 1, he will cost the Rams $65.525 million. So why would they pay $30.9 million more to cut him than to just keep him on the roster? So do not expect the Rams to even slightly consider cutting Goff before June 1. It's not happening.

Post-June 1 cut

2021 dead cap: $50.125 million 2022 dead cap: $15.4 million 2021 cap savings: -$15.5 million If the Rams wait until after June 1 – or simply cut him before that date with a post-June 1 designation – they'll still be paying a hefty amount to lose their starting quarterback. The only difference with a post-June 1 cut is that the dead money gets spread out over the next two years instead of just in 2021. So they would pay $50.125 million in dead money this year to cut him, and then another $15.4 million. The Rams would still take on $60.525 million in dead money, but they would be able to spread it out through 2022 to lessen the pain next season. Still, this isn't a feasible move for the Rams to make. Doing so would not only destroy their cap situation in 2021, but also hurt it in a big way the following year.

Pre-June 1 trade

2021 dead cap: $22.2 million 2021 cap savings: $12.425 million Here's where it becomes more possible to move Goff. If they were to trade him before June 1, they would actually save some money – which wouldn't be the case with cutting him. Their savings would only be $12.425 million, essentially paying Goff $22.2 million to be off the roster instead of $34.625 million to keep him in 2021. That's not a big savings, but considering the Rams are projected to be more than $25 million over the salary cap if it drops to $175 million, every penny counts – and that's a lot of pennies. By trading Goff, the Rams would still have to pay him any bonuses owed, but they wouldn't pay his base salaries; that obligation would go to the team that acquires him. Goff's 2021 and 2022 roster bonuses of $18 million combined was already guaranteed last March.

Post-June 1 trade

2021 dead cap: $6.8 million 2022 dead cap: $15.4 million 2021 cap savings: $27.825 million If the Rams really wanted to save money, they could wait until after June 1 to trade Goff. However, that's a risky proposition. By that point, teams would have already drafted quarterbacks, signed them in free agency and begun to lay out their plans for the upcoming season. How many teams would be interested in Goff after the draft and free agency? Trades just before and during camp do occur, but rarely for quarterbacks. If the Rams were to wait until after June 1 to trade Goff, they would save $27.825 million. The total dead cap hit would still be $22.2 million, just as it would be with a pre-June 1 trade, but $6.8 million would go toward the 2021 cap and another $15.4 million in 2022. This would be the most financially beneficial move for the Rams, but they would also have to wait a year to use any draft capital that might come in exchange for Goff.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just ain't buying all the talk about Goff right now.

Just like the Rams were "closed mouthed" and up and let Gurley go...the same thing could happen here.

I agree definitely. Sometimes he out smarts himself

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
And merging in 3,2...

I was wondering what happened to the thread before; I kept clicking on it only for it to say it didn't exist, and for a moment, I became a complete ditz and wondering what was going on.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A better trade would be.....The Packers trade Rodgers to a team for picks, players, whatever they can get

The Rams trade Goff to GB for Jordan Love and MVS.

Goff played well when LeFleur was here, perhaps he would be interested. I don't know what kind of relationship they have.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If Caserio holds Deshaun Watson hostage, then yeah, we'll keep Goff and revisit all this next year unless he plays lights out.

I still think this is a tactic... a message to other teams that it's gonna COST you to get Watson.

Which is what I said. I think the price that we're gonna pay (and I DO think we're gonna pay it) is gonna make even the most excited for Watson wince.

But it beats the crap out of wasting two HoF defenders' prime.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m beginning to think mcvays lady friend must have moaned Jared’s name at an inopportune moment

Despite watsons talent I still can’t work out why we are trading (and likely giving up WAY more than we have in any other of our blockbuster trades ) away a Qb with goffs record and stats for a guy while he has put up gaudy numbers .. still went 4-12 ..has had 2 ACLs injuries ??? and a play style that means there tmay likely be more... imma be sick if we trade goff (because I think he will bounce back in a big way especially with a new C and a deep threat ) ... my guy tells me this could back and bite us hard

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I’m beginning to think mcvays lady friend must have moaned Jared’s name at an inopportune moment

Despite watsons talent I still can’t work out why we are trading (and likely giving up WAY more than we have in any other of our blockbuster trades ) away a Qb with goffs record and stats for a guy while he has put up gaudy numbers .. still went 4-12 ..has had 2 ACLs injuries ??? and a play style that means there tmay likely be more... imma be sick if we trade goff (because I think he will bounce back in a big way especially with a new C and a deep threat ) ... my guy tells me this could back and bite us hard

That's always possible.

Snead and McVay are aggressive and that can help or hurt...sometimes both at the same time.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I’m having a difficult time not believing this is nothing more but a ploy by McVay and now I suppose even Snead to light a fire under Goff. (that’s where I am at least now, though that could require several paragraphs to explain)

But let’s say maybe it isn’t, what could possibly be the thought process, the only thing that would make sense to me is perhaps Goff doesn’t put in the time McVay would hope for (please tell me hes not pussy whipped, lol, tho that’s a real possibility) or something else equally ridiculous, I don’t believe this to be skill set driven...it “gots” to be something mental between the two.

Be interesting to see how this unfolds

Last edited: