The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to exit the thread again because we're at the pointless and silly point of this now. For McVay and Snead either bring in some real competition/an upgrade or support your QB and the rest of the offense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It certainly does seem between yesterday and today it went from "we're unsure Goff is going to be here next year" to "we're going to make Goff compete for his job."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm going to exit the thread again because we're at the pointless and silly point of this now. For McVay and Snead either bring in some real competition/an upgrade or support your QB and the rest of the offense.
source.gif

Two hours later OS be like...

iu

WestCoastRam

Legend
I say this with respect, I think you're making unsound assumptions. I've kept trying to tell people this (for years now). Young pocket passers are volatile from season to season and even week to week. Many of the good ones didn't find consistency until they hit their prime. And that window generally starts between 27 years old and 30 years old. But people are so quick to give up on QBs these days.

People assume that progression is linear. You get more experience, so you should keep getting better. It doesn't work that way. Pocket passers have inconsistencies up until their primes. But when they hit their primes, they generally settle down and are fairly reliable from year to year. Next season starts that window for Goff.

To demonstrate my point, look at Goff's and Peyton Manning's career arcs:

Outside of their rookie years, they're nearly identical through their respective age-26 seasons. I don't think anybody would tell you that Peyton Manning wasn't preparing for games back then. I'm not a patient person, so I get the desire to have an answer on Goff now. But I think we're just going to have to wait and see how things play out.

Well, I like what you're saying! And I want you to be right.

And there's def points we agree, I don't think progress is linear either. We may just be looking at different sample sizes.

But mostly, I want to find something I can hang my hat on when it comes to Jared. I'm not particularly a fan of the idea of starting over at QB and realize the reality is that there really isn't much of an opportunity to upgrade him this year or even possibly next year.

Bearrister

Rookie
People assume that progression is linear. You get more experience, so you should keep getting better. It doesn't work that way. Pocket passers have inconsistencies up until their primes. But when they hit their primes, they generally settle down and are fairly reliable from year to year. Next season starts that window for Goff.

To demonstrate my point, look at Goff's and Peyton Manning's career arcs:

Outside of their rookie years, they're nearly identical through their respective age-26 seasons. I don't think anybody would tell you that Peyton Manning wasn't preparing for games back then. I'm not a patient person, so I get the desire to have an answer on Goff now. But I think we're just going to have to wait and see how things play out.

Wow you’re right, I know context matters but the numbers are remarkably similar through their age 26 year.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
This thread is gonna hit 250 pages by the start of the 2021 season at this rate.

I'm fine with Goff heading to the 2021 season, I expect the O-line to improve from average to good if we want him to succeed. As jrry mentioned, pocket passers hit their prime by their late 20s / early 30s, we're gonna have to be patient with Goff if we want to see the dividends pay off. I much prefer a pocket passer as they provide longevity from avoiding injuries barring bad O-line protection. Mahomes went through a few injuries now and I expect defenders to have an easier time getting hard hits on him when the talent pool dries up due to him eating up most of their cap space.

Glad I have other leisurely entertainment to distract me from the madness of a speculative offseason.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Man at this rate we'll get the #questfor100round2 before the Super Bowl.

Could we...dare I say...have a #questfor200 ????

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't think the organization does or should care what these talking heads say. But, fwiw, they have been clowning Goff since 2016. Go watch that **************** Nick Wright on his show they don't even call him Goff they just call him little hands. It's pathetic because you know he wouldn't say it to his face.
Nick Wright should not be allowed near a camera. Dude has a face for radio at best. Man is he punchable....

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You cant be serious with this right? W/L is the most important stat in football. If Watson was truly top 5 then his team wouldn't have been 4-12. He would've elevated the team to more than just 4 wins. The only reason brady is considered the goat by many is because of wins.
Football is a team sport. You can only judge a team by wins. Manning was a way better QB than Brady. Manning had to go up against the pats top 5 D every year. Colts D was always middle of the road. Swap teams and who is everyone saying is the goat. Put Brady on marino's dolphins. He would be forgotten by now. The team around the QB is the context that nobody wants to pay any attention to.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Football is a team sport. You can only judge a team by wins. Manning was a way better QB than Brady. Manning had to go up against the pats top 5 D every year. Colts D was always middle of the road. Swap teams and who is everyone saying is the goat. Put Brady on marino's dolphins. He would be forgotten by now. The team around the QB is the context that nobody wants to pay any attention to.
Never said football wasn't a team sport. People cant say "Elite quarterbacks are suppose to elevate the talent around them" and then when they turn in a season like 4-12 then make countless excuses as to why they finished with that record.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

View: https://twitter.com/mikesilver/status/1354518798875971590?s=21

Wow some eye opening comments here from Silver. He’s connected to Goff so when he’s says that none of this has/had been communicated by the FO directly to Goff and that Goff is mystified by the latest comments you can bet it’s the truth. Not what I want to hear honestly makes us look bad. All of this is really confusing to me. I think the rams have bungled this so far. Will be interesting to see how they play it from here.

Bearrister

Rookie

View: https://twitter.com/mikesilver/status/1354518798875971590?s=21

Wow some eye opening comments here from Silver. He’s connected to Goff so when he’s says that none of this has/had been communicated by the FO directly to Goff and that Goff is mystified by the latest comments you can bet it’s the truth. Not what I want to hear honestly makes us look bad. All of this is really confusing to me. I think the rams have bungled this so far. Will be interesting to see how they play it from here.

Thats the first we’ve heard from Goff’s side (like you said Silver is connected to Goff so I’m sure this
info comes directly from him).

The FO better have something lined up, because they’re clearly burning bridges with him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’ve watched this clip and see a lot of talking heads discuss this Goff story. This is where I have a big problem with how the Rams are handling this situation. Goff is getting *clowned* by a lot of these talking heads, and for as much as Goff’s inconsistent play opened this up, McVay and now Snead’s comments are really fanning the flames. People are having a field day with the “he’s a Ram right now. What day is it... January 26?” Line and mocking Goff throughout the media. It really shows that the FO doesn’t care how Goff feels.

Again, I have no problem if the Rams decided they need to move on. But don’t open up your QB to get clowned this way throughout the media, especially since it hurts your leverage for trade negotiations.

Well said man. I didn't want to click on that video because i knew exactly how those clowns would react. But i did anyway and boy they are arseclowns.

I'm really starting to get bitter how Mcvay and Snead have hung Jared out to dry. I have no idea what's happening behind closed doors at the Rams but did they really need to make Jared the laughing stock of the league? It's a real turn off.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Jared Goff is a grown ass man making millions of dollars, has a supermodel girlfriend and is living the LA life right now.. If he gets butthurt over what the media says about him, that's own fault.

The competitor in him should be fired up.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thats the first we’ve heard from Goff’s side (like you said Silver is connected to Goff so I’m sure this
info comes directly from him).

The FO better have something lined up, because they’re clearly burning bridges with him.

Well, Jared can always step up and prove them wrong by throwing for 4000+ yards, 30+ TDs, and a 100+ passer rating next year.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Certainly true with Goff's harshest critics around here. Or they want to pretend everything was just fine.
Well that's because you can literally subtract two AWFUL Goff games and the Rams would have been 12-4. And I'm just talking about two games that he very clearly and objectively sank the team. I also struggle seeing all of the issues that weren't just QB play. Their offensive line allowed him 2.5 seconds averaged in the pocket, tied for 10th in the NFL. So he had protection. We lacked an explosive deep threat but that's not really an excuse for our offense being so putried. I've evolved from irrational Goff lover (I fought with a chiefs fan about how Goff was better than Mahomes in 2018 lol) to being a Goff doubter. What was it about our offense do you feel hampered him? Because , outside of a few things like a deep threat, it felt like he just didn't have it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
W
Didnt realize that was the scenario, its hard to keep up with all of the scenarios.
Ironic though since I suggested a Goff trade to Indy could actually work this morning.....
Works for the Colts. They would give the chiefs and bills a run for their money. The rams would be stuck in 7 and 9 bullshit. Trading Goff is fools gold. Make the oline bigger. Stronger, better. There. Offense fixed.