The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else think Snead's quoting Aaron Rodgers "the future is a beautiful mystery" is him signaling that Rodgers is headed to LA? Guy lives in San Diego in the off-season. Wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world for him to finish things out here...
Yep, crazier things have happened, for sure.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear what you mean. But at some point, to me, the Professional Bad Taker Drunk Armchair QB COACH GM, GOFF has to elevate his own game for that money. He's been paid to be a difference maker, and he isn't (so far).
Oh agreed he has to play better at some point or he will be out of the NFL. But Like @jrry32 mentioned above look what happens to Brady when they don’t block for him. Give tb12 Blythe and things look a lot different IMO he doesn’t function well with pressure up the middle. Now not saying Goff is Brady by any means but he is a traditional pocket passer and traditionally those players don’t do well when they can’t step up in the pocket.

honest question when was the last time you watched a rams game and watched Goff sit in the pocket for an extended period and scan the field. The type of play where the announcer says something like “he has all day to throw” not that something like that should be the norm or anything but I genuinely don’t remember a single play like that this year. And some of that is because of play calling but than you have to ask yourself why are the plays being called that way.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Oh agreed he has to play better at some point or he will be out of the NFL. But Like @jrry32 mentioned above look what happens to Brady when they don’t block for him. Give tb12 Blythe and things look a lot different IMO he doesn’t function well with pressure up the middle. Now not saying Goff is Brady by any means but he is a traditional pocket passer and traditionally those players don’t do well when they can’t step up in the pocket.

honest question when was the last time you watched a rams game and watched Goff sit in the pocket for an extended period and scan the field. The type of play where the announcer says something like “he has all day to throw” not that something like that should be the norm or anything but I genuinely don’t remember a single play like that this year. And some of that is because of play calling but than you have to ask yourself why are the plays being called that way.
I'm not disagreeing. The pass blocking at certain times left me pissed. But not all the time. And to answer that, I can't recall a time but I also spend more time watching the play than listening.

On the flip side, other than a small handful of teams, how many QBs get that?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The dude talking about the cap though I feel if you have that job and are going to be a part of that segment you should study up more on Goff contract. It's not good but it's tradable. It actually makes him reasonably price to the acquiring team. And yes if pre June trade then 22 mill dead cap but post June it's a lot less. If you just focus on the dead cap if you cut him well yea great job but dig a bit further man. If you have that job then you make the rest of the cast look silly because they just follow suit. Goff can be traded you heard Snead say it and we know the numbers in here. They were willing to eat 21 million for cooks I'm sure they are ok eating 22 million for what ever plan they have in store if they have one.

Also as far as cutting Goff. Wether we have issues with him or not my opinion is he is not a cuttable qb. No not because of the 65 million but because he is not terrible he has some great tools and accomplishments and is still very young so he holds value. These dudes need to just stop yapping and maybe dig a bit more inside the numbers.
The dead amount doesn’t change. They years we pay it does just wish people understood this and communicated it proper.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The dead amount doesn’t change. They years we pay it does just wish people understood this and communicated it proper.

That's my point they have that job they telling everyone the rams are stuck with Goff because of the contract. It's like do your job if your going to put information out there. Especially when the GM just said anything can be done.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's my point they have that job they telling everyone the rams are stuck with Goff because of the contract. It's like do your job if your going to put information out there. Especially when the GM just said anything can be done.
It’s not just him but yes the media is complicit in this. People around here say if we do a post June 1st we save money. Horseshit we still incur the same amount of dead cap it’s just spread over 2 years. And if we don’t trade him until after June 1st it costs even more. Which is another thing people don’t get.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Regardless of your thoughts on JG, this is some strange behavior and communication coming from the FO.... I don't like it. Goff deserves better than this.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the flip side, other than a small handful of teams, how many QBs get that?
Well consistently almost no one. That’s why I said not that something like that should be the norm I’m just saying there’s a reason we can’t even remember a single time.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
It’s not just him but yes the media is complicit in this. People around here say if we do a post June 1st we save money. Horseshit we still incur the same amount of dead cap it’s just spread over 2 years. And if we don’t trade him until after June 1st it costs even more. Which is another thing people don’t get.

Correct on all fronts but damnnnnnn they being paid to put out bad information we aren't lol and then to just say the rams are stuck with Goff. Whatever happens happens just do your job better.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The problem being is that it's not just logic in this decision. Goff no longer has faith in McVay and the Rams. Keeping him after trying to dump him is going to cause dissention in the lockerroom and just telling Goff to "deal with it" will be a wound that will never heal until he is moved. We pretty much have to move on now and it sucks..
Hmmmm.... You seem to be making statements you couldn't possibly know and stating them as fact. Not sure how you could know any of this.
I mean how do you know Goff doesn’t have faith in McVay? Is that just your opinion? No where have a read anyone said they were gonna dump him. They stated Goff is a Ram right now this could be a tactic to light a fire to let Goff know he isn’t safe and he needs to improve. Goff is a professional athlete and has always taken scrutiny well
Agreed. If they are ready to move on then that is their decision. I just don't buy into much of anything that is being discussed here.
Or maybe it was what they had to do to say that Goff's on the market without saying anything.
So you think that is how negotiations go in the NFL? Downgrading your commodity in public so everyone knows you want to rid yourself of his contract? You don't think Snead would be hammering the phone lines so that every team that was even a consideration would know the situation? Seems like a pretty stupid way to go about getting value back.

Personally, I think there is at least as much of a chance that they have done this to send a warning shot to Goff that he needs to get his shit together - that he needs to put in some serious work starting immediately after the Packers game ended.

But what do I know. I'm just another Yahoo posting on a sports board. :biggrin:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmmmm.... You seem to be making statements you couldn't possibly know and stating them as fact. Not sure how you could know any of this.

Agreed. If they are ready to move on then that is their decision. I just don't buy into much of anything that is being discussed here.

So you think that is how negotiations go in the NFL? Downgrading your commodity in public so everyone knows you want to rid yourself of his contract? You don't think Snead would be hammering the phone lines so that every team that was even a consideration would know the situation? Seems like a pretty stupid way to go about getting value back.

Personally, I think there is at least as much of a chance that they have done this to send a warning shot to Goff that he needs to get his shit together - that he needs to put in some serious work starting immediately after the Packers game ended.

But what do I know. I'm just another Yahoo posting on a sports board. :biggrin:
Loyal said:
No proof aside the way things have played out and the lack of commitment in words. This is beyond lighting a fire under Goff, Mac. And none of know anything, which includes both of us. There is a hardness in McVay's face when he speaks of the situation, that I never saw in him before., which makes him look bitter and old. The words plus that look ,informs my gut belief that Goff is gone.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They sure are spending a lot of time on Jared’s shortcomings and not taking ownership of their own.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They sure are spending a lot of time on Jared’s shortcomings and not taking ownership of their own.
Mcvay is notorious for falling on the sword on behalf of the team. Even after the divisonal game he complimented Akers for scoring on " a dumb ass play call"

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

That's what's so gross to me.
When there is plenty of self reflecting to go around... lots of hard questions everyone could be asking themselves, and all of the negative attention, all of the worst kind, is being aimed at a guy who can't really defend himself, was the IMO the least responsible for our loss in the playoffs.

Sure, maybe this is a calculated risk to get Goff to perform better.
But it reeks of blame diversion, could totally backfire and its like it's avoiding the natural question: you want your QB to perform better in your new low-intensity, dink n dunk matriculation offense so he can hand off any TDs and help you win by being nutless on offense?
Gee what an exciting system to play in!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I know Goff has been discussed ad nauseam on the board. And my two cents are just my two cents. But it just seems to me that Goff's issues are consistency. And right now he's terribly inconsistent and you just can't have that in a QB. Are there things McVay could do better with the offense, sure, but it seems to me he's bent over backwards to make it as easy as possible for Jared and STILL there are consistency problems.

And, look, all I can judge is from what I know from what I see in my own life. But from what I know, consistency problems tend to come from lack of preparation. Dude's got the arm, hell, dudes even shown some good pocket movement in the past and he's shown that he can execute a superb gameplan when he's on point (read against Bucs), he's also shown that he can follow up a bad game with a good one which points me in the direction again about putting the time in. It's almost like he knows he's in trouble and doubles down on the work it takes but then lightens up the minute execution gets better.

I suspect that Jared isn't putting the time in - above and beyond - what it takes to be an elite QB. McVay has tried a lot of things with him and it works for a bit and then there's a regression which again points to lack of prep.

At this point, if you don't trade him, you have to least put him on notice (which McVay has been reluctant to do to up till now) by stating that there's a QB competition, that the effort and consistency is not good enough. I think that was the last bullet in McVay's gun. Everything else has been tried.

Of course, nothing exists in a vacuum and adding a deep threat and a better oline will help on the margins around his lack of consistency. But this is a Jared problem, for the most part.

I'd like to think it's solvable but it's on Jared to put the work in.

We'll see.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mcvay is notorious for falling on the sword on behalf of the team. Even after the divisonal game he complimented Akers for scoring on " a dumb ass play call"
He at times will blame himself but in these post season interviews all we’ve seen and heard is about jared nothing on his play calling or their lack of addressing need adequately.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He at times will blame himself but in these post season interviews all we’ve seen and heard is about jared nothing on his play calling or their lack of addressing need adequately.
I get that feeling that it's hard to know what Mcvay is getting wrong until he gets good qb play. He mentioned it during the Miami game. How the blocking was good and they had plays in place to beat cover zero but the execution was poor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Goff has been discussed ad nauseam on the board. And my two cents are just my two cents. But it just seems to me that Goff's issues are consistency. And right now he's terribly inconsistent and you just can't have that in a QB. Are there things McVay could do better with the offense, sure, but it seems to me he's bent over backwards to make it as easy as possible for Jared and STILL there are consistency problems.

And, look, all I can judge is from what I know from what I see in my own life. But from what I know, consistency problems tend to come from lack of preparation. Dude's got the arm, hell, dudes even shown some good pocket movement in the past and he's shown that he can execute a superb gameplan when he's on point (read against Bucs), he's also shown that he can follow up a bad game with a good one which points me in the direction again about putting the time in. It's almost like he knows he's in trouble and doubles down on the work it takes but then lightens up the minute execution gets better.

I suspect that Jared isn't putting the time in - above and beyond - what it takes to be an elite QB. McVay has tried a lot of things with him and it works for a bit and then there's a regression which again points to lack of prep.

At this point, if you don't trade him, you have to least put him on notice (which McVay has been reluctant to do to up till now) by stating that there's a QB competition, that the effort and consistency is not good enough. I think that was the last bullet in McVay's gun. Everything else has been tried.

Of course, nothing exists in a vacuum and adding a deep threat and a better oline will help on the margins around his lack of consistency. But this is a Jared problem, for the most part.

I'd like to think it's solvable but it's on Jared to put the work in.

We'll see.

I say this with respect, I think you're making unsound assumptions. I've kept trying to tell people this (for years now). Young pocket passers are volatile from season to season and even week to week. Many of the good ones didn't find consistency until they hit their prime. And that window generally starts between 27 years old and 30 years old. But people are so quick to give up on QBs these days.

People assume that progression is linear. You get more experience, so you should keep getting better. It doesn't work that way. Pocket passers have inconsistencies up until their primes. But when they hit their primes, they generally settle down and are fairly reliable from year to year. Next season starts that window for Goff.

To demonstrate my point, look at Goff's and Peyton Manning's career arcs:

Outside of their rookie years, they're nearly identical through their respective age-26 seasons. I don't think anybody would tell you that Peyton Manning wasn't preparing for games back then. I'm not a patient person, so I get the desire to have an answer on Goff now. But I think we're just going to have to wait and see how things play out.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Talking, yes.

But what is he *doing* about it? We've seen few scheme changes other than to condense the offense to dink and dunk to cover up for offensive line deficiencies which are in large part HIS fault for not insisting on upgrades after last year's disaster. Other than that, the scheme looks stale and ditto the playcalling. Falling on your sword in a press conference is one thing, but if you come out the next week doing the same old things and rolling with the same liabilities on your offensive line week after week, then it's all just empty talk.

If it comes down to an open competition between Goff and Worford, I think Goff wins that pretty easily. No disrespect to John, and he does have better mobility, but he's not the same passer by a long shot.