The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Or maybe it was what they had to do to say that Goff's on the market without saying anything.

Technically, they can say that they were always behind him and never said he'd be traded. We ALL are reading the same stuff between the lines, but this stuff goes away all the time.

I agree with everyone here that Goff's done as a Ram, but it doesn't mean they'll be able to get anything done and Goff may have another year here. I dunno. We know they can't cut him and won't ship him out for a ham sandwich. They won't do that.

But yeah, once McVay and Snead said it the same way... that put the league on notice. And if half of the NFL or w/e it was has already placed calls to the Lions... they'll be interested in Goff as well.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I listened to this part of Snead’s interview and it’s even worse. Bill Plaschke asked him point blank 2x (it sounds like this was a question towards the end of the interview), “You haven’t said that Goff will be your QB in 2021, you know how this is going to sound to everyone, you know the chatter this is going to cause. I’m giving you the opportunity to end that chatter and say that he’s your QB in 2021 or going forward. Is he going to be your QB?” Plaschke gave him the very clear, open opportunity to squash this talk. Snead chose not to, and in fact this is when he said the line about “Jared’s our QB right now, what is it, January 26? That’s a fact, that’s obvious.”

As I’ve said many times, I still don’t get the advantage of putting this out publicly unless you have something lined up. I don’t buy the “light a fire under Goff’s ass” argument. Telling someone publicly, in essence, that you don’t want them on the roster isn’t how you do it.

Agree. We're past the "light a fire" stage. If it were just McVay, then maybe. But not both of them.

Putting it out there may be how they send up the signal to other GMs that Goff is available without ever saying that he's available.

It may be inartful, but it's how things get done these days...

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
You gotta at least be fair with your assessment. Goff has never had an elite WR two very solid possession types. Goff has never had an Elite TE unless you think Higs is elite. Goff shredded people when he had an Elite OL and RB though. I feel like he needs good pass blocking to succeed which is true for almost all QB's.

Also come on with those stats. We all know there were major weaknesses on our Oline. Changing the offense to quick passing attempts because we cant maintain blocks doesn't mean the oline was a top unit...it means we asked less of them.
No, but people act like he's surrounded by a bunch of scrubs when he's not. And people act like the OL was awful, when it wasn't. Can it be upgraded? You're damn right. But Goff at some point needs to learn how to feel pressure and move around.

He had his fair share of unforced turnovers, unforced missed throws and yada yada.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I’m definitely going to start incorporating the phrase “beautiful mystery of the future” into daily conversation.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He got knocked out of multiple games this past season with injuries. At least two that I can think of.

He also missed half of the 2019 season.

No, but people act like he's surrounded by a bunch of scrubs when he's not. And people act like the OL was awful, when it wasn't. Can it be upgraded? You're damn right. But Goff at some point needs to learn how to feel pressure and move around.

He had his fair share of unforced turnovers, unforced missed throws and yada yada.

Nobody acts like he's surrounded by scrubs. We act like this team has more flaws than just #16. Goff's issue isn't feeling pressure and moving around. It's staying calm while under pressure and making good decisions.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Everyone knows where I am at this point. I am aware Goff has certain tools but I have posted repeatedly about what I think the issues are.

That said I live breathe eat rams but go or stay, trade or don't and I am all for moving on after seeing that this may be a trust issue on both ends which looks to be irreparable. I still feel the kid doesn't deserve to be embarrassed.
Regardless of skill set or trust or pros and cons etc. Unless something awful went down behind the scenes like mad disrespect or he popped off at the mouth I'm not down with doing it this way. Just do your business the way you always have if you have something good in the works than fine great those of us that feel a change is necessary are ok with that we trust the regime but don't put the kid out there to handle all the wolves.

Forgetting football, as a human being ok maybe they let him know we are trying to move in a different direction secretly, thats fine but his home has always been Cali his family etc. so let him process that he may be leaving. At least protect him from the media until it's done that's what shocks me about the whole thing.

You guys know my feelings and I even took a different angle yesterday to maybe see it from a different perspective but all roads lead to a parting of ways as of now but weird how unlike the "new rams" to go about it this way.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Watson is just one hypothetical. The cap isn't an issue with Watson as even a "first day of the year" trade for Watson SAVES the Rams $2M against the cap. So the cap isn't an issue.

It still results in dead cap money, no matter when the trade is official, both this year and next. And dead money is money that can't be spent on other players.

I can understand the concern that they will "Martz this up". I share that concern. That said, I don't think we have the same Goff we had in 2018 and I don't pretend to know the reason, but the end result is the the judgment is that the Rams seem to be moving on from 2020 Goff.

We haven't, but we haven't seen a lot of what we saw in 2018 that is entirely outside of Goff's control. We have seen serious regression in the OL, and after an offseason to fix it the Rams pretty much decided to stand pat. Instead of fixing the line, McVay tried to adjust the offense around that to mask its weaknesses, but that's like stuffing dirty laundry into the hamper - you may not see it but sooner or later the smell is going to get out. And at critical times, it did. Because of the OL deficiencies, we've seen our play action game suffer, as well as our ability to throw downfield, as either the QB gets sacked or isn't confident in the guys in front of him, not to mention nowhere to step up to when the blocking doesn't hold. And we've seen at times some really, really bad playcalling.

The thing that is so maddening about this is that those of us who want to hold onto Goff for at least one more year will acknowledge his play as suffered and needs to improve. But getting people to realize McVay's neglect of the OL and its effects as well as the lack of scheme innovation and sometimes bad playcalling has had a major affect on Goff's play seems to be more difficult than pulling teeth from a pissed off grizzly bear. That's probably because acknowledging McVay's role in the offensive struggles severely weakens the case for moving on from Goff at the present time. And from McVay himself, I have seen very little in terms of action from him to back up his "I've got to do better" talk.

One thing I feel pretty confident in saying. I don't think McVay or Snead are hellbent to burn bridges with Goff. I think McVay has an exacting and unyielding set of expectations for the QB position and Goff hasn't met those expectations consistently enough such that the org seems ready to move on from Goff.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about being hellbent on burning bridges. It's one thing for McVay to say what he said after an emotional playoff loss, but more than a week later for Snead to say what he said makes it really look like they want to twist the knife.

And it's fine for him to have high expectations for the QB, but shouldn't he hold himself to those same expectations? Like I've said above, for all of his repeated sayings of "I've got to do better", I've seen little action from him in the last two seasons that really squares with those words.

I like Stafford, but don't see him as a "splash". Watson would be a "SPLASH"

Watson would be a splash. Stafford would be a belly flop.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
He also missed half of the 2019 season.

Nobody acts like he's surrounded by scrubs. We act like this team has more flaws than just #16. Goff's issue isn't feeling pressure and moving around. It's staying calm while under pressure and making good decisions.
Well, with all do respect, a QB that's making millions and has been in the league for a few years should have improved on that aspect and he hasn't.

And listen, I want Goff to succeed, I really do. But after the last few years and his body language/demeanor I have little confidence in him. And as I said before, IF he's the Rams QB next year, you bet your ass I'm cheering for him and hope he does well. I want to see him prove me, and so many others wrong. I'll never question him as a person, it's as a player.

IF Goff is traded, I'm a Rams fan.
IF Goff stays, I'm a Rams fan.
If McVay is here, I'm a Rams fan.
If McVay is gone, I'm a Rams fan.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, with all do respect, a QB that's making millions and has been in the league for a few years should have improved on that aspect and he hasn't.

Players have flaws. If it's a player you want to build around, you find a way to mask those flaws and play to their strengths. The Patriots understood that with Brady, who turns into a panicky little bitch when you get interior pressure on him.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Players have flaws. If it's a player you want to build around, you find a way to mask those flaws and play to their strengths. The Patriots understood that with Brady, who turns into a panicky little bitch when you get interior pressure on him.
You mean Captain Dink and Dunk?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
For me there's too much buried BS in that path to waste my time on it. Cheers though and carry on with all that I'm sure others will take you up on it.
And yet......???? Not sure why this really set you off Merlin. Seems a bit odd.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Not sure if this has been posted, but I saw this on Get Up this AM. Even Greeny is like, what are they doing?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfqEGcjRxj4&ab_channel=ESPN

The dude talking about the cap though I feel if you have that job and are going to be a part of that segment you should study up more on Goff contract. It's not good but it's tradable. It actually makes him reasonably price to the acquiring team. And yes if pre June trade then 22 mill dead cap but post June it's a lot less. If you just focus on the dead cap if you cut him well yea great job but dig a bit further man. If you have that job then you make the rest of the cast look silly because they just follow suit. Goff can be traded you heard Snead say it and we know the numbers in here. They were willing to eat 21 million for cooks I'm sure they are ok eating 22 million for what ever plan they have in store if they have one.

Also as far as cutting Goff. Wether we have issues with him or not my opinion is he is not a cuttable qb. No not because of the 65 million but because he is not terrible he has some great tools and accomplishments and is still very young so he holds value. These dudes need to just stop yapping and maybe dig a bit more inside the numbers.

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stafford...hmm...dude was taken in the draft just prior to Sam Bradford. ... When he looks into the mirror...

MFYfzd4.gif

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I always think he has a bad case of ADD and dislexia. If he had some medicine to slow his brain down and compose his thoughts it might help. I take him as a hard, relentless worker though, which helps him in his work.

its his nose man lol

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I feel ya and if anyone is acting like everyone around Goff is a scrub and none of this is on 16 they are wrong.

But the opposite is also false and you can’t claim that all of the offense has to be elite for him to succeed because we’ve seen him succeed without every position being elite. It’s not like when he did succeed he had megatron and Tony Gonzalez out there like your original post made it seem.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
This "beautiful mystery" thing is making its rounds everywhere. Even in ny sports talk shows they trying to connect the quote to Rodgers granted he (Rodgers) did say it but they saying Snead sending a message to show interest? I can see how one would think that but man this is to gasoline on a roaring fire by the rams.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
I feel ya and if anyone is acting like everyone around Goff is a scrub and none of this is on 16 they are wrong.

But the opposite is also false and you can’t claim that all of the offense has to be elite for him to succeed because we’ve seen him succeed without every position being elite. It’s not like when he did succeed he had megatron and Tony Gonzalez out there like your original post made it seem.
I hear what you mean. But at some point, to me, the Professional Bad Taker Drunk Armchair QB COACH GM, GOFF has to elevate his own game for that money. He's been paid to be a difference maker, and he isn't (so far).