The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty simple, if the rams have a chance to get better at QB, Rodgers, Watson then you try to make it happen. If they cannot Goff should be the QB of this team. People like to hate on Goff for whatever reason but I don’t care how good our defense played you don’t go 10-6 with Walford playing qb. Goff had 13 int and 4FL this year. Remember that great Super Bowl year he had? He had 12 Int and 5FL. The big difference is he didn’t have the touchdown numbers and he had a guy named Todd Gurley catching passes out of the backfield. Having Cam Akers as the #1 back should take a lot of pressure off Goff
The problem being is that it's not just logic in this decision. Goff no longer has faith in McVay and the Rams. Keeping him after trying to dump him is going to cause dissention in the lockerroom and just telling Goff to "deal with it" will be a wound that will never heal until he is moved. We pretty much have to move on now and it sucks..

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff talked to Silver?

Was that the "marriage counseling" report?
No that was after the wildcard game, where silver talked about goff being a competitor and being upset that the Rams went with woldford. And now Goff felt like his skill set wasn't being utilized.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last Super Bowl Appearance:
Aaron Rodgers - 2010-11 season
Drew Brees - 2009-10 season
Philip Rivers - Never
Ben Roethlisberger - 2010-11 season
Deshaun Watson - Never
Russell Wilson - 2014-15 season

Patrick Mahomes and Tom Brady are the exceptions, not the rule.

I'd have expected the Rams to win the Super Bowl with all of them with our team this year too.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But you said, and almost everyone else here said, all Goff has to do is play mistake free football and the Rams would win the superbowl. Don't you remember that?

Unfortunately when the defense plays like a horse's arse mistake free football isn't gonna cut it. The team needs perfection from the qb.

Wherever Jared plays next year he has to realise that enjoying life is nice but when a team is paying you tens of millions of dollars to get wins you better be prepared. Otherwise the coach and gm start telling the media you're their qb "right now".

For a season, not a game. It doesn't undo how often he turned the ball over in the regular season.

It's seriously confusing that fans are throwing shade at Snead and McVay over this. They've more than earned our trust, are better at evaluating football players than we are and we don't know the whole story or why they may need "marriage counseling"

Robert

Rookie
The problem being is that it's not just logic in this decision. Goff no longer has faith in McVay and the Rams. Keeping him after trying to dump him is going to cause dissention in the lockerroom and just telling Goff to "deal with it" will be a wound that will never heal until he is moved. We pretty much have to move on now and it sucks..
I mean how do you know Goff doesn’t have faith in McVay? Is that just your opinion? No where have a read anyone said they were gonna dump him. They stated Goff is a Ram right now this could be a tactic to light a fire to let Goff know he isn’t safe and he needs to improve. Goff is a professional athlete and has always taken scrutiny well

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yep you have described it well my friend. The messaging is off. Big time. Something has shifted.

I don't agree on the lack of extra work statement. Unless I missed something that appears made up. I don't think there is any question of Goff's work ethic.

But you are correct something is going down and it is most likely they are dealing Goff or going to try hard.

Here is my guess how it went down. I think the blame Goff was getting from Mcvay and Oconnell in his ear after somewhere around the Seattle game ghost interception intensified. This is the same week he broke his thumb. My guess is Jared got tired of being the scape goat for the shitty Oline and play calls that were clearly getting predictable.

I honestly believe Jared got tired of the BS blame game and bowed up to Mcvay. When Mcvay told Jared that Wolford would be starting we know for a fact via Jareds statement at the press conference that he disagreed with Mcvay and wanted to start. There was probably a huge loss of trust in Mcvay for not backing Jared and I am sure Jared let him know. I would. I would say I disagree with starting Wolford but you are the coach and I accept whatever you say and wont complain to the media. But I bet at this exact time Jared finally let Mcvay know how much BS it was to blame him for the terrible decision not to upgrade the Oline and the play calls that were getting snuffed out due to Mcvay not innovating.

I am be wrong but it looks to me like the Goff Mcvay marriage died that day.

Mcvay then went to Snead and said we are moving on. They kept it private but are on the same page with their messaging to the media.

Mcvay was too stubborn to admit he was part of the problem with the play calls and Oline decisions.

Goff was tired of the blame and let Mcvay know the reality.

So here we are.

Reminds me of a Pearl Jam song....

Once divided -- nothing left to subtract
Some words when spoken -- can't be taken back
Walks on his own -- with thoughts he can't help thinking
Future's above -- but in the past he's slow and sinking
Caught a bolt 'a lightnin' cursed the day he let it go
Nothingman -- isn't it something.

One day one of these two may curse the day they let the marriage go.

I think that's a LOT of projection. I dunno how Goff is in private, but that seems like too much.

WE don't know if they had words at all, let alone which words they'd have beyond "I can play, Sean" and "we're gonna go with Wolford, you'll suit up as his backup just for this game, but you're thumb needs to heal." That's about as far as any projection makes sense insofar as we can discern that's what was said based on any number of reports including how both of them talked about it.

We have no idea if any trust was broken or how Goff or McVay felt at that time or even before and it would be irresponsible to project our feelings and/or what little we can discern from reports about their relationship into conversations that were pivotal in their relationship. Especially, we have no idea if Jared took issue with the OL, if it were so bad an issue that it was raised with McVay, or if McVay blamed anything on Goff. Blame is a very strong word.

All we know is that McVay has been dissatisfied with the results and that SOMETHING moved McVay from "get better every day" to "he's our QB right now"

None of us know and none of us WILL know because it's unlikely McVay says anything bad about Goff... presuming they move on without him which seems more certain, but who knows in this league anymore?

I also think that the deep game has been an issue for McVay. Where Goff maybe didn't know what to do with Blythe being in his lap most of the time, Wolford had the mobility to move and still throw the deep ball. What's upsetting is that a) Goff DID move and make those throws in 2017/18, so why does he NOT move now? b) Goff seems much more focused on the rush now than he was when he was younger. c) McVay looks to have specific desires for his offense and how the QB plays in that offense and Goff even in making plays isn't getting it done.

Rest assured if Goff were simply maintaining his 2018 level of play with zero improvement, we're not having this conversation. Not remotely close.

McVay absolutely has owned up to his share in the blame and has continually taken responsibility for it. The big change was in sharing the blame which was a first for him.

Just think of how badly McVay had to be pissed to even START to not take full blame... He's NEVER done that before.

Lemme be clear. I don't think any of this is about drama.

I think McVay is an animal... a cunning perfectionist who can have patience with a lot of things, but not about how the offense is run. Even in doing well, he's very hard on himself for not doing better. Anyone remember how we all implored him to have some balance in his life because we were worried he'd do a Vermeil?

So, I don't take all of this as a matter of drama or how they've communicated. I think McVay has been CRYSTAL clear what he wants. Goff may disagree or see things differently, but THAT can be the only thing that could even possibly have gotten us to this point.

TL;dr McVay wants the offense run in a specific way and this is the second year in a row that Goff isn't doing that. Even if 2019 is written off due to the OL issues and Gurley being at 50% at best, this year? The offense was almost unrecognizable and even in victory, McVay seemed constantly pissed.

Honestly, I think if given the choice of being kicked in the nuts of have his offense not run the way he wants it, even if it leads to 10 wins? Yeah, McVay would take the kick in the nuts. THAT'S how much he hates his offense not running efficiently.

We'll see how it all plays out, but the one thing I feel confident about is that there wasn't any drama. Frustration from unmet expectations? You bet...from both sides, but no drama.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Source? Where are you getting that "Goff no longer has faith in McVay and the Rams?"

That's beyond a stretch.

Would they have to mend fences if they don't deal him? Yeah, sure.

But McVay is a professional and has always been clear and intentional in his communication. Even if it comes down to "look, we're not seeing eye to eye on this, but we have to figure it out."

Goff is as even keeled as they come and McVay has never shown any ego when it comes to communication, so the idea that they couldn't reconcile flies in the face of literally everything we know about them.

Might Goff be traded? Sure.

And as a fan, I've had plenty of fun speculating because I'm caught up on my streaming movies and with our season over, it's been a fun diversion.

But let's be real for a moment. We can't just divorce ourselves of everything we know about Goff, McVay, Snead or Demoff because we have holes in our knowledge.

I mean in Jurassic Park, they filled in the holes of the dinosaur DNA with reptilian DNA that made sense... they didn't just stuff it with jelly from a donut and call it a day. All of this projection is the jelly from a donut. It may be sweet and pretty tasty in the right context, but it just doesn't fit here... at all.

McVay is upset. Goff disagreed with McVay's assessment that he couldn't play and when called on to play, Goff played pretty well, all things considered.

This is already crazy enough when we stick with the facts that we are in possession of and use straight logic to fill in the holes we can. Beyond that??? It's not even an educated guess...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The fact that they're openly talking like this is so weird man

Im grossed out by it.
The McBae bullshit is over for me.
I think McVay is a bright dude, a charismatic leader and has been great for us. But his shine isn't what it used to be.
Too much "he's a genius" talk too soon. Now our offense has went downhill fast and quite frankly McVay has as much to do with that as our QB IMO.
I mean Jesus Christ, is this how the org treats Jared behind closed doors? Like he's Jeff Fishers kid, being raised by a new step dad? Im just saying the teams behavior and language is really gross to me right now. IDGAF what they really think about some guys - the way they are handling it makes me thinking "No wonder the relationship is strained - these guys are total dicks!".

Imagine your team saying "Hey, we want to sign you long term. Then we are going to dismantle the parts around you that helped you achieve that contract. On our end, our play calling and game plans on offense will also be meh inspiring. All of our resources will go to the other side of the ball and as our offense takes a big dip, we will be assisting the media in laying all of our offensive problems at your feet.
...we just want to be better on offense."

Gtfoh.

I think all of the negative hype surrounding Goffs rookie season is a stigma he can't escape from the media while all of the over the top praise for McVays inherent genius early in his career has created a bit of an over-inflated ego situation. Our offense struggles? Must be that shitty QBs fault. Can't possibly be the genius.

Its a marriage motherfuckers. You proposed to him.
What they are doing now doesn't show they want to make it work. It's the equivalent of discussing your marital problems with some chick you met oline. Either work privately to fix it or don't but it doesn't make Goff look bad.

Memphis Ram

Legend
@Memphis Ram still think no one has come close to saying Goff gets no credit for winning and all the credit for losing?? My man just said we would have lost a game if Goff started it when Wolford only threw 6 passes....isn’t that the same thing ?

Well technically, he didn't say every game as was quoted, but it is close. First one I've seen. But, are there really enough posters posting this opinion for a mantra type Goff gets no credit response towards anyone who has a critique of Goff?

TexasRam

Legend
I think that's a LOT of projection. I dunno how Goff is in private, but that seems like too much.

WE don't know if they had words at all, let alone which words they'd have beyond "I can play, Sean" and "we're gonna go with Wolford, you'll suit up as his backup just for this game, but you're thumb needs to heal." That's about as far as any projection makes sense insofar as we can discern that's what was said based on any number of reports including how both of them talked about it.

We have no idea if any trust was broken or how Goff or McVay felt at that time or even before and it would be irresponsible to project our feelings and/or what little we can discern from reports about their relationship into conversations that were pivotal in their relationship. Especially, we have no idea if Jared took issue with the OL, if it were so bad an issue that it was raised with McVay, or if McVay blamed anything on Goff. Blame is a very strong word.

All we know is that McVay has been dissatisfied with the results and that SOMETHING moved McVay from "get better every day" to "he's our QB right now"

None of us know and none of us WILL know because it's unlikely McVay says anything bad about Goff... presuming they move on without him which seems more certain, but who knows in this league anymore?

I also think that the deep game has been an issue for McVay. Where Goff maybe didn't know what to do with Blythe being in his lap most of the time, Wolford had the mobility to move and still throw the deep ball. What's upsetting is that a) Goff DID move and make those throws in 2017/18, so why does he NOT move now? b) Goff seems much more focused on the rush now than he was when he was younger. c) McVay looks to have specific desires for his offense and how the QB plays in that offense and Goff even in making plays isn't getting it done.

Rest assured if Goff were simply maintaining his 2018 level of play with zero improvement, we're not having this conversation. Not remotely close.

McVay absolutely has owned up to his share in the blame and has continually taken responsibility for it. The big change was in sharing the blame which was a first for him.

Just think of how badly McVay had to be pissed to even START to not take full blame... He's NEVER done that before.

Lemme be clear. I don't think any of this is about drama.

I think McVay is an animal... a cunning perfectionist who can have patience with a lot of things, but not about how the offense is run. Even in doing well, he's very hard on himself for not doing better. Anyone remember how we all implored him to have some balance in his life because we were worried he'd do a Vermeil?

So, I don't take all of this as a matter of drama or how they've communicated. I think McVay has been CRYSTAL clear what he wants. Goff may disagree or see things differently, but THAT can be the only thing that could even possibly have gotten us to this point.

TL;dr McVay wants the offense run in a specific way and this is the second year in a row that Goff isn't doing that. Even if 2019 is written off due to the OL issues and Gurley being at 50% at best, this year? The offense was almost unrecognizable and even in victory, McVay seemed constantly pissed.

Honestly, I think if given the choice of being kicked in the nuts of have his offense not run the way he wants it, even if it leads to 10 wins? Yeah, McVay would take the kick in the nuts. THAT'S how much he hates his offense not running efficiently.

We'll see how it all plays out, but the one thing I feel confident about is that there wasn't any drama. Frustration from unmet expectations? You bet...from both sides, but no drama.
And you could be right.

That’s why i framed it as “My Guess”.

I could be wrong but I also saw a change in Jared in the pressers. He grew a sack with the media and was clearly pissed off.

I also only think any person can take only so much when the blame is off scale. With Mcvays obsession with his offense and getting it right I would guess he ran out of patience and showed his loss of faith in Jared.

These are the day of our Ramlife’s.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
And you could be right.

That’s why i framed it as “My Guess”.

I could be wrong but I also saw a change in Jared in the pressers. He grew a sack with the media and was clearly pissed off.

I also only think any person can take only so much when the blame is off scale. With Mcvays obsession with his offense and getting it right I would guess he ran out of patience and showed his loss of faith in Jared.

These are the day of our Ramlife’s.
Why wouldn't McVay grow frustrsted? McVay has done everything think he can to help simplify the game, making calls for Goff and changing plays based on how the D is lining up.

At the end of the day, if it takes an Elite OL, Elite RB, Elite WRs and Elite TEs for Goff to succeed, that's pathetic.. At some point you have to overcome some of those. And people keep acting like the Rams had the worst OL, RBs, WRs and TEs around Goff, when we didn't. For all the numbers guys, PFF ranked the Rams OL #3 at the end of season (Which I disagree, I feel like it's in the 6-10 range). The skill players around him were still very good and the running game was good.

And about his sacks, he was sacked less each of the last 2 years than he was his first 3.

dang

Legend
QB dissention or QBs on the hot seat is part of the NFL. See GB, HOU, NYJ, MIA, SF, LV, DEN, JAX, CHI, DET, PHI....Why should the Rams and Hoff be immune after 2 below average years? It’s the nature of the beast.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im grossed out by it.
I think McVay is a bright dude, a charismatic leader and has been great for us. But his shine isn't what it used to be.
Too much "he's a genius" talk too soon. Now our offense has went downhill fast and quite frankly McVay has as much to do with that as our QB IMO.
I mean Jesus Christ, is this how the org treats Jared behind closed doors? Like he's Jeff Fishers kid, being raised by a new step dad? Im just saying the teams behavior and language is really gross to me right now. IDGAF what they really think about some guys - the way they are handling it makes me thinking "No wonder the relationship is strained - these guys are total dicks!".

Imagine your team saying "Hey, we want to sign you long term. Then we are going to dismantle the parts around you that helped you achieve that contract. On our end, our play calling and game plans on offense will also be meh inspiring. All of our resources will go to the other side of the ball and as our offense takes a big dip, we will be assisting the media in laying all of our offensive problems at your feet.

Gtfoh.

I think all of the negative hype surrounding Goffs rookie season is a stigma he can't escape from the media while all of the over the top praise for McVays inherent genius early in his career has created a bit of an over-inflated ego situation. Our offense struggles? Must be that shitty QBs fault. Can't possibly be the genius.

What they are doing now doesn't show they want to make it work. It's the equivalent of discussing your marital problems with some chick you met oline. Either work privately to fix it or don't but it doesn't make Goff look bad.

Great point. It’s like everyone has turned on him. I’ve been critical of his play , but also praised him when he’s played well. For McVay and Snead not standing behind him in public is ridiculous. Take care of business behind closed doors and give the man a break.
Throwing the poor kid under the bus doesn’t help our situation.
We all know that Watson or Rodgers aren’t walking through the Rams door , so you better find a way to make it right with Goff.
He’s 26 years old for Christ sake , and has played great in the past. He’s far from washed up so get back to work and make it better.
A little protection and a big possession receiver would be a great start.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im grossed out by it.

Gtfoh.

Don't you think it's odd how they've never done this with another player before though? Seems to me like McVay rightfully had issues with Goff turning the ball over - notice that's really all he ever criticized - and Goff didn't respond the right way (whether that be his actual response, or not putting in the work or whatever). It's conjecture, but really the only thing that makes sense.

rdw

Pro Bowler
I mean in Jurassic Park, they filled in the holes of the dinosaur DNA with reptilian DNA that made sense... they didn't just stuff it with jelly from a donut and call it a day. All of this projection is the jelly from a donut. It may be sweet and pretty tasty in the right context, but it just doesn't fit here... at all.

ToxI5GC.gif

Tano

Legend
Look man there are a lot of ways to look at this. Especially how the QB affects line play. Is he making the correct protection calls? Is he getting the ball out quick when he sees pressure? Is he making the right read based on the coverage or the correct decision, etc?

But isolating the OL and looking at their performance alone, they are no where near as bad as many around here are making them out to be. People talk about the OL like it was trash. The 2019 line was bad, but this year was FAR improved. But you would never know that given peoples tone and all the OL hate. But I get trying to move blame from Goff to the OL, makes sense. But IMO our line was league average AT WORST, and I would say top 1/3 of the league probably. We had the #10 rushing attack in the NFL. You have forgotten what the OL looked like last year if you think the 2020 line was bad.

Still all this being said..our opinions on the OL dont mean shit. It's what McVay thinks and how he's evaluating the offensive performance. And McVay obviously feels Goff should have played better and is the problem. He didn't blame the OL. He didn't call out individual lineman like he did with Goff. That should tell you a lot. McVay knows more about offensive football then everyone on this forum combined.

PFF rank #3 (dont necessarily agree but take it for what its worth) --- https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

Undroppables rank #11-- https://www.theundroppables.com/rankings/offensive-line/
The only thing I have said about the OL is that Blythe sucks.

If you look at the OL play, Blythe has been the major reason for most of the pressure that causes Goff to make bad decisions.

The other OL played well imo.

Get rid of Blythe and get an upgrade and you get rid of the weak link.

Almost every time Goff stepped up when he got pressure from the outside, Blythe would be getting bull rushed up the middle and Goff would have to either take a sack or try to throw it far sooner than he wanted to causing a bad play.

I am sticking to my guns on that one.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Nothing productive is gonna come from these types of comments and interviews from McVay and Snead at this point, but They opened that can of worms.

Goff is frustrating and hard to figure, one way or the other, but a lotta serious thought and planning needs to happen before you just give up on the guy.

Tano

Legend
I thought this originally too but to me me this theory went out the window when Walford came in and completed 4 passes of 20+ yards in the air in his very first start in the NFL. He also narrowly missed on another 2-3 deep balls. Goff completed 2 passes of 20+ yards in the air his previous 6 starts.

Our route combos have deep routes built in, and Goff is the one that decides to take the underneath routes for whatever reason. He doesn't get enough blame for his lack of aggressiveness and accuracy down the field to me. It's been 2 years now of non existent explosive passing plays. Walford comes in and we're suddenly throwing the ball down the field constantly? McVay didnt change the scheme...the QB makes the decision where to throw the ball. Granted we dont have a pure deep field burner anymore, but our WRs are more than capable of making plays down the field. Goff was 32nd ranked in the NFL in Yards Per Attempt in the air.
When I looked at every play in the first half in the Seattle game, Goff had maybe two plays where he could have gone deep instead of throwing short. And both those times, he went immediately to the main target and got close to 10 yards.

The other times, he had absolutely no one open deep.

I don't see where you can say Goff could have thrown deep if he had read the plays differently. There just weren't any.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Im grossed out by it.

Gtfoh.

It's not a marriage.

It's a business deal. It's contracts and performance. It's a job... for EVERYONE involved.

All of us would have preferred for Goff to improve on 2018 and even become that guy who transcended the issues on the OL. That didn't happen.

We have what we have.

Here's what I think.

I think the Rams, specifically McVay has had issues for awhile with Goff not running his offense the way he wants it and ESPECIALLY had issues with turnovers. Unlike Martz's offense which didn't seem to be hurt too badly with TOs, McVay's offense is much more about efficiency. TOs are more of a problem in McVay's scheme.

Prior to the last game of the season, I figured they'd focus on Goff getting better and revamping the scheme to have some alternatives in case Goff needed to be benched or got injured or they wanted to run something that was a better fit for one of the RPO QBs on the roster.

What we have now is... well, we can see through the "coach speak" and "GM speak" like never before so this is seen as a sign of disrespect. I disagree.

The Rodgers thing last year was disrespect. What's happening in Houston is disrespect. The 3 year long fiasco in Jacksonville with Tom Coughlin... that was disrespect...on a grand scale.

I don't think what's happening here is disrespect. I'm not happy with the getting cute. Both McVay and Snead have said without saying it that Goff is likely not part of the Rams' future going forward. Was there a way to say that and put it out there in a more generous way? I honestly don't think so. Still doesn't sit right.

That doesn't mean it's disrespect. If anything, they may be honing in on a blockbuster deal that doesn't involve Goff, but by doing it this way, the league is on notice and teams who need QBs who may have not considered Goff can make some calls.

To Goff's credit, he's been quiet which will add to his value. For his proponents out there, he'll be a guy who just wasn't the best fit for that offense, but has had success in a league where that's hard to do even when the stars all align.

And if all this falls apart and Goff is the QB next year, I have every faith that Goff and McVay will work their tails off to win every game and work to get to the Super Bowl.

It's not personal. It's strictly business.
iu