The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There's also the small technical detail of finding a better qb if you dump Goff.

Yeah, that one is kind of important too, because if the new guys shits the bed people will start looking at the coach. And new QB or Goff, you still have to put him in a situation in which he can succeed - harder if you give up draft capital and salary cap room.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Yea all of us have our own opinions of Goff, but whatever they are we still want the Rams to win by any means.

I dont care if its with Goff at QB, Hecker, a high school QB... I just want to win a super bowl. People take this QB thing too personally because they're emotionally invested in Goff. But at the end of the day we should trust McVay and root for the franchise to win no matter who is playing on the field.
Goff is the feel-good story for us as Rams fans. The "bust." The guy who didn't know which way the sun rose and set. The guy who wasn't supposed to be any good. The Rams had "made an egregious mistake" drafting him instead of Wentz.

Now? Well, I know I don't have to sing his praises to you because you know them. I think it suffices to say that Goff is not any of those things he was supposed to be, although the jury is still out on his career trajectory. The fact is that many QBs are taken #1 yet few go on to even be a perennial starter.

Anyways, I'm not ready to give up on Goff just yet because of all of that. I am absolutely emotionally attached to him. He "stuck it to the man," as did I—vicariously—through him.

I dont think i could ever truly stop being a Rams fan. But seeing him traded would honestly break my heart.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's yet another stat that paints our OL as average to above average:

Goff's pressure percentage was 13th best

That's not McVay getting Goff killed - that's McVay giving Goff opportunities that he wasn't taking advantage of.

When you watch them on Sunday, do they look above average?

Do they pass the eyeball test?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you watch them on Sunday, do they look above average?

Do they pass the eyeball test?
Some of them do but for the most part no not often enough. But somebody will come up with some metric and pound it on the table even if on other players that metric is counter to what they think of another player. PFF is a flawed system and the others that follow suite likewise. They're nice but people really shouldn't be citing them as the end all be all of rating systems.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't see how it's possible for them to trade him post June 1st? Not sure what you mean there.
Because the NFL draft is in April.
This is going to be a QB rich draft and if the Rams are going to trade Goff they had better be in position to draft one this year
If they are trading for a QB they’ll need as much draft equity as they can get. A 1st rounder next year is probably worth less than the second rounder they have this year
As for the cap, they take a near 23 mill cap hit for signing bonus and restructure and that become 25 mill after his roster bonus gets paid out. Whether that’s split between 21-22 it doesn’t matter it’s still a huge chunk of change.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just watched Goff highlights from the MIN game 2 years ago, and man.. he used to throw an absolute beautiful deep ball and was looking safeties off.

And no, not every play did he have great protection. Just his body language, and demeanor seem so different.

That Goff deserved to be paid.

Every so often, I rewatch the Rams/Chiefs highlights...

THAT Goff had all the earmarks of the next great pocket passer.

Maybe Goff needs a montage to recapture that guy...

iu

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

iu

Young QB volatility. Patience, my friend.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
My opinion is that Goff and Mcvay agreed to part ways somewhere before Goff talked to silver. I think Goff was trying to clear his name for suitors. Speculation but it adds up.

Goff talked to Silver?

Was that the "marriage counseling" report?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

iu

Who thought after that game we'd be seeing the situation as it stands now?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Because the NFL draft is in April.
This is going to be a QB rich draft and if the Rams are going to trade Goff they had better be in position to draft one this year
If they are trading for a QB they’ll need as much draft equity as they can get. A 1st rounder next year is probably worth less than the second rounder they have this year
As for the cap, they take a near 23 mill cap hit for signing bonus and restructure and that become 25 mill after his roster bonus gets paid out. Whether that’s split between 21-22 it doesn’t matter it’s still a huge chunk of change.
Yes and this is why I think they trade for a guy if they go that route of moving on from Jared. Because they can use futures picks to get him and line up their QB room as best they can under the circumstances. Then move Goff after June 1st and gain $27M in cap space.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Anyone else think Snead's quoting Aaron Rodgers "the future is a beautiful mystery" is him signaling that Rodgers is headed to LA? Guy lives in San Diego in the off-season. Wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world for him to finish things out here...

Very curious turn of phrase from the ordinarily somewhat less than totally articulate Mr Snead.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes and this is why I think they trade for a guy. Because they can use futures picks to get him and line up their QB room as best they can under the circumstances. Then move Goff after June 1st and gain $27M in cap space.
If the Rams were going to bring in a new QB, they would have to trade Goff before they traded for him. And future picks are less valuable than current. So trading for a QB relying solely on future picks means you’d have to give up more than what you would pay this.
and again, with this being a hot QB draft, who’s trading their QB without putting themself in position to draft one?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes and this is why I think they trade for a guy if they go that route of moving on from Jared. Because they can use futures picks to get him and line up their QB room as best they can under the circumstances. Then move Goff after June 1st and gain $27M in cap space.

If we trade for another QB before June 1 with Goff on the roster, it'll fuck up our cap, which prevents us from making any FA moves. And what other teams wants to wait until June 1 to deal with their QB situation? I should also note that OldSchool is right. We actually only gain $25.325 million if we wait until after June 1 because we pay Goff's roster bonus.

If we're going that route, it makes more sense to trade him early, avoid the roster bonus, and then move the excess money into future years via restructures. We're going to have to eat the dead cap whether we trade him before or after June 1. We eat $2.5 million less if we do it before June 1. The only difference in the two options is where the dead cap is allocated. But we can move money around fairly easily anyways.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'd rather we quit taking unnecessary cap hits and build a better team around Goff for the time being.

It's also disappointing to see the Rams coaching/front office pretty much brush aside the fact that Goff played pretty good these playoffs. Why not build on that going into the offseason?

Let's look at this analytically.

Have we EVER known this FO group to be this... I dunno... smug about a PLAYER??? This "cute" in a pedantic way before?

I mean, it's been 4 years and they've not said a single thing about a former player and they constantly talk UP current players even as they desperately need to improve.

So... let's not treat Snead, McVay et al as fans for a second. Let's just analyze this.

Snead and McVay have been almost maddeningly intentional and sincere in their communications for four years now without a single deviation. It's pretty incredible, actually, to be that consistent.

And now we have this... it is an inconsistent mode of communication ABOUT a player from a FO/HC group. It's inconsistent with literally every other communication about a player. But... even in this... they've been PURPOSEFULLY consistent... they both say "he's here for now" and continue to reinforce how the "offense has to improve"

I can only conclude a few things.

1) In the age of new media, THIS is how you fire warning shots... you "go public". Especially because Goff's SO is ON social media, he won't be able to escape it... not really. So, we may be waiting for the other shoe to drop on if it's "message received" or "I wanna divorce"

2) The Rams FO has something blockbuster lined up and they are ITCHING to say something about it, but cannot for multiple reasons. That aligns with not only what this FO has been about, but also cements if it weren't already that McVay and this FO are ALWAYS in Win Now mode. Always. This eliminates any Jordan Love, Hodges, Wolford or any other lesser QB as the reason for all this. If this is it, we're gonna find out within the first few days of the league new year.

3) I never agreed about the narrative that Goff was merely a McVay puppet as if this were Madden. That was always BS. What has always been true is that the OFFENSE has always been McVay's and when you couple the turnovers with the apparent lack of extra work... THAT has to be driving McVay almost literally insane and I can see for McVay how that has to be an unforgivable sin. The question is does Goff see it that way and will he submit, repent and atone? Or will he acquiesce and slide on out? I dunno.

But here's what I can say.

Snead and McVay are FAR too intentional with their words and actions to BOTH allow multiple opportunities to "accidentally" reiterate the same position. And we've trusted them to run a winning organization while they've been together and they've done that.

TL;dr SOMETHING's coming and it's on purpose. Whether that's a reformed and refocused Goff or they make a blockbuster deal, we'll see, but this group hasn't ever functioned this way before and I can't wrap my head around the notion that they are chosing to act irresponsibly with their starting QB by being cute and smug with their language on multiple occasions.

I also find it strange one last thing. Watson tweets a few things and Rodgers simply says he doesn't know what's next and the sports media loses its collective minds. Both the HC and GM of the Rams all but come out and say that Goff in his current form isn't gonna be here next year (meaning he drastically improves or they've already found his replacement) and... almost nothing. I'm wondering if they've disclosed a massive deal off the record, so the reporters are waiting and not reporting on this for fear of a) turning on other reporters who might ask questions and b) they don't want to accidentally disclose anything that was said off the record. I say this because while Goff is routinely ignored, McVay and Snead are not.

I find this overall silence... disturbing. Something's up. Whether it ends up good or bad, I dunno, but my spidey senses are tingling and the patterns I observe do not align with modest or prudent future actions.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone else watch Snead talk and wonder how he has a job as an NFL GM?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If we trade for another QB before June 1 with Goff on the roster, it'll fuck up our cap, which prevents us from making any FA moves. And what other teams wants to wait until June 1 to deal with their QB situation? I should also note that OldSchool is right. We actually only gain $25.325 million if we wait until after June 1 because we pay Goff's roster bonus.

If we're going that route, it makes more sense to trade him early, avoid the roster bonus, and then move the excess money into future years via restructures. We're going to have to eat the dead cap whether we trade him before or after June 1. We eat $2.5 million less if we do it before June 1. The only difference in the two options is where the dead cap is allocated. But we can move money around fairly easily anyways.

What's crazy is if we swapped Goff for Watson and picks, due to his very low 2021 cap, we'd actually save about $2M if we didn't have it be a post June 1st trade.

Anyway, I went into more in a previous post, I won't reiterate here.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They're trying to keep his value up while also saying they are moving on. It's a delicate dance apparently. :ROFLMAO:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else think Snead's quoting Aaron Rodgers "the future is a beautiful mystery" is him signaling that Rodgers is headed to LA? Guy lives in San Diego in the off-season. Wouldn't be the craziest idea in the world for him to finish things out here...
giphy.gif

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What's crazy is if we swapped Goff for Watson and picks, due to his very low 2021 cap, we'd actually save about $2M if we didn't have it be a post June 1st trade.

Anyway, I went into more in a previous post, I won't reiterate here.
There’s no way Houston is going to trade the face of the franchise and take back Jared Goff in return. That’s even beyond Bill O’Brien stuff... “If” they trade him they’re going to be looking at one of the QB’s in the draft, paired with new HC. They can sell a rebuild with a rookie qb and new HC but you’re not rebuilding with a near 30 mill per year QB