The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shuie3225

Starter
Ok, but that's one game - can you really project that over a whole season? That's not exactly a statistically significant sample size. It's also one game where the offense didn't score a TD, and against a D that Goff has repeatedly carved up since McVay's arrival.

We're only talking about that one game..and again more deep completions than Goff's previous 6 games COMBINED.

I'm not trying to forecast an entire season with Walford, I think it would be stupid to trade Goff and start Walford. But what his playing time told me is we could be throwing the ball downfield a lot more than we had with Goff.

What is the single biggest difference in our passing game now versus 2017/2018? We dont get explosive chunks in the passing game anymore. In those past years we would get 5+ every single game. Now Goff is 32nd in yards per attempt through the air. And every drive is a grindy 10-15 play drive that has to be perfect. That's, not what McVay wants.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
If Goff goes I'm gone, I've never felt that way before but that's how I feel, you don't get rid of the guy who's given you winning seasons for 4 straight years, 3 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl appearance, that would be the stupidest move ever. if that happens fuck Snead, fuck McVay and fuck the Rams

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hindsight sure is a bitch.

I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong. I thought letting Saffold go was the right move because of his age and durability issues earlier in his career. But we should have kept him. We have missed him since he left.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If Goff goes I'm gone, I've never felt that way before but that's how I feel, you don't get rid of the guy who's given you winning seasons for 4 straight years, 3 playoff appearances and a Super Bowl appearance, that would be the stupidest move ever. if that happens fuck Snead, fuck McVay and fuck the Rams

There is no winging season this year without that D.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm not afraid to admit I was wrong. I thought letting Saffold go was the right move because of his age and durability issues earlier in his career. But we should have kept him. We have missed him since he left.
I'm with you there. I thought it was the right move too. And hindsight, I thought giving Goff that extension was too.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
I'm not saying I believe the media heads, but if Goff is indeed butt hurt about not starting against Seahawks he needs to get over it. He was clearly not ready to play that game, and we probably lose if he starts. He played well against Greenbay, but his throwing was way off against the Seahawks.

But like I said, I don't believe that Goff is that mad about not starting that game. Maybe if Wolford shit the bed, but Goff was the worse QB that game.
I’m genuinely curious how you came to this conclusion. Wolford completed 3 passes for 29 yards before Goff came in and we still won. Are you saying we lose if we didn’t have those 29 yards from Wolford first?
I specifically remember cringing on several of Wolfords passes, expecting them to be interceptions. Dudes ball has no zip on it...it floats a little. He has to 100% throw with perfect timing and anticipation. What happens when defenses start playing a soft pattern matching zone against Wolford that keeps everything in front??

Dude starts throwing a lot of pics.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm with you there. I thought it was the right move too. And hindsight, I thought giving Goff that extension was too.

I'm still not convinced we were wrong on that one. But we should get an answer this off-season or next season on that question.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I specifically remember cringing on several of Wolfords passes, expecting them to be interceptions. Dudes ball has no zip on it...it floats a little. He has to 100% throw with perfect timing and anticipation. What happens when defenses start playing a soft pattern matching zone against Wolford that keeps everything in front??

Dude starts throwing a lot of pics.
Yeah he threw a deep out vs Seattle that was about an inch from being picked. And when that's picked you're gonna feel it with all that green around him. Wolford can't throw that route late (Goff can btw) it has to be on time. The arm strength basically buys you room for error.

I think Wolford effed himself. He will most likely never be given the keys to a division round playoff team again. Guys like him who have limits get their shots they by God better take advantage.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm still not convinced we were wrong on that one. But we should get an answer this off-season or next season on that question.

I don't want to be wrong, I LOVE the 17 and 18 Goff. And some of 19. But, things have changed.

If he's our QB next year, I sure as hell will cheer for him. Just because I might not have personal faith in a player, doesn't mean I don't want them to be successful.

Our team success relies on there success.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I said something similar the day they traded Dickerson. Could not believe they couldn't see what he meant to the Rams. And then again when the Rams let Kevin Greene go who was another favorite player, and then a full decade of suck. Then even when we struck lightning with Vermiel the Rams fucked it up and we had an abbreviated window as a result.

Goff is just the latest example of this. The NFL is a brutal business.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So basically even you admit now that we need to upgrade the OL. I would like another deep threat in our WR room for sure, but I think VJ can provide some of that and with enough time for the QB to throw and good route running WRs (which ours most definitely are) you can still have a deep game without blazing speed. People seem to forget that Ike and Torry, while fast enough, weren't the guys who left flames in their wake (Ike was about a 4.5 40 guy), and yet they had no problem getting open deep. But the point is moot when the QB can't take the time to throw the deep or even intermediate routes, and that was the case far too often this year.

It probably will. But you have to make choices. Two years ago we let Saffold walk and paid Dante Fowler a year prove it deal. This past season we paid Leonard Floyd on a one year prove it deal. While those signings were certainly good for our defense, they came with an opportunity cost of letting Saffold walk, as money used to pay Fowler and then Floyd could have covered a big chunk of Saffold's salary, if not the whole thing. We could have slipped Corbett in a C and Edwards at RG, and our OL would almost certainly be better, particularly with the beastly manner Saffold had played for the past couple of years and is still doing in TN. In that case, maybe we don't have as good a defense but we have a better offense and maybe we're not having a debate about our QB.

I admit we need to upgrade the OL for Goff. An above average OL isn't good enough for him - nothing short of an elite unit will allow him to be successful, which is not ideal for a QB making as much as he does.

dang

Legend
I am pretty sure no one in this forum is wishing Wolford is our starter next year. It was his ability to run and his grit that caught our attention and made us reflect on the shortcomings of Goff. I personally think Goff gets another year but he needs to elevate his game because we aren’t going to put up with this 10-6 and only 1 playoff win bullshit for long.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

So you're a Goff fan, not a Rams fan?

It's especially funny when McVay and Snead have been right to let go of or trade every player they did save for Saffold. That's close to a 90% success rate.

But hey, if you act now you can probably get a jump on Goffondemand.com

MachS

Hall of Fame
So you're a Goff fan, not a Rams fan?

It's especially funny when McVay and Snead have been right to let go of or trade every player they did save for Saffold. That's close to a 90% success rate.

But hey, if you act now you can probably get a jump on Goffondemand.com

Yea all of us have our own opinions of Goff, but whatever they are we still want the Rams to win by any means.

I dont care if its with Goff at QB, Hecker, a high school QB... I just want to win a super bowl. People take this QB thing too personally because they're emotionally invested in Goff. But at the end of the day we should trust McVay and root for the franchise to win no matter who is playing on the field.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish Goff the best if things go the way it looks right now. IMO he's in that above average range. Can that make you look stupid? Sure all that would take is a situation where everything around him is ideal.

But I'm not going to act like this is Fisher getting rid of a QB. McVay knows his shit.
BK3k8Ba.gif

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
Snead is about the worst interview ever. At best, a twitchy doofus. At worst, a stammering idiot.
100% agree. In any other profession he would be kicked to the Curb talking like a scatter brained baboon, but in this business you are judged by the bottom line wins and losses whether you had anything to do with it or not.

I would argue him and Mcvay are responsible for not understanding a very fundamental axiom in the NFL. If you don't prioritize your Oline your offensive will suffer.

I appreciate his stance on asking how our offense can get better. How he, Mcvay and all the players can be better.

He did honestly answer the question about Goff's 2020 season saying Goff played great in the beginning, had a rough stretch of turnovers and then finished strong. That is a fair evaluation. Not one mention of the Oline though which is rather disingenuous.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Goff is not Rodgers. He's got two consecutive years of bottom third production and that matters in a situation like this. He's also not a selfish or dramatic player and he knows he's been well paid and treated by the team and if they want to go another direction he'll be a pro and roll with it.

And either way back to the cap... It seems to me that trading him before June would be tough to pull off when they also have to trim cap space. That would definitely be preferable to all parties but I would think they want those big cap savings so they can at least have all this shit also help them not have to cut dudes to get to the cap.

No I feel ya Goff has never been a selfish person.. but it's just hard for me to believe if he stays a Ram there wont be a fractured relationship there with McVay. Whether or not he deserves the criticism.. first McVay and now Snead its just a lot of disrespect. I personally dont see how he stays now.

Regarding a move post June..it will be interesting to see what Snead does. He always seems to have a plan, and with the cap shrinking in 2021 I'm sure that will have an impact on what we do. Maybe he waits to see what the final cap number will be before he pulls the trigger on anything.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Keeping Goff can have the same fate for mcvay. I've seen coaches get fired for hanging on to a player for too long. Works both ways

McVay isn't going to get fired after next season for hanging onto Goff. The only scenario McVay gets fired after next season is if he gets caught with a dead girl, a live boy, or goes full Jeffrey Toobin on a Zoom call. If he keeps Goff one more year, does everything he can to improve the team around him, and Jared still shits the bed, then he'll be fully justified in moving on and only a few die-hards here will be wanting him to stay for another year.

However, if he dumps Goff this season and Jared goes on to resurrect his career elsewhere, it's going to be a big black mark against him. Ditto if he dumps Goff and the offense doesn't improve. And if both of those happen, he's going to be legitimately on the hot seat going into the season following that - and rightfully should be in that scenario. He advocated for Jared's extension, now it's up to him to do everything he can to make it work, especially since there are no medical issues and since two other big contracts have already gone south on us.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz knew his shit too. Dumped Warner for Bulger and let the other problems linger and never looked at his own contribution to the demise of Warner with the Rams. Cost him his job eventually. He even later admitted (far too late obviously) that he got Warner killed. And we know what Warner eventually did.

McVay is a good coach and yes, he knows his shit. But like Martz, another brilliant offensive mind who knew QBs, McVay is human and capable of making mistakes. How he handles this, and what happens with Goff should the Rams get rid of him will make or break his career here.

Here's yet another stat that paints our OL as average to above average:

Goff's pressure percentage was 13th best

That's not McVay getting Goff killed - that's McVay giving Goff opportunities that he wasn't taking advantage of.