The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I'm not positive Goff will take the Rams to the promised land and win us Super Bowls in the future if we hold on to him.

But I am convinced if we send him packing he will be a thorn in our side and an embarrassing example on why you shouldn't give up on young QBs.
I can see him being damn good for a long time.
You can solve that problem by trading him to someone like the Bengals or football team.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll grant you the Wilkins INT. He got fooled and did not expect Wilkins to drop out. But claiming that on the other two INTs is bullshit. On the SF INT (Kinlaw), he got hit while he was throwing the ball, which caused it to go straight to Kinlaw instead of Kupp. On the Miami INT (Rowe), the free rusher hit his arm as it was coming forward, which caused the ball to float straight to Rowe. If Goff made a mistake on either play, it was trying to throw instead of taking a sack and living to fight another down.

Yep agreed and that's exactly what McVay brought up - that taking a sack was the better option in some situations

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm not positive Goff will take the Rams to the promised land and win us Super Bowls in the future if we hold on to him.

But I am convinced if we send him packing he will be a thorn in our side and an embarrassing example on why you shouldn't give up on young QBs.
I can see him being damn good for a long time.
I wish Goff the best if things go the way it looks right now. IMO he's in that above average range. Can that make you look stupid? Sure all that would take is a situation where everything around him is ideal.

But I'm not going to act like this is Fisher getting rid of a QB. McVay knows his shit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep agreed and that's exactly what McVay brought up - that taking a sack was the better option in some situations

I agree with McVay, but that's the sort of shit that young QBs do.

fearsomefour

Legend
Snead getting a little too cute in his response IMO.
That’s Snead’s MO.
He’s a politician when talking to the press.
He could be talking about a cobb salad giving a toast at a wedding or talking about firing his best friend....same vagaries and bull shit.

dang

Legend
I’m genuinely curious how you came to this conclusion. Wolford completed 3 passes for 29 yards before Goff came in and we still won. Are you saying we lose if we didn’t have those 29 yards from Wolford first?
perhaps too much meat tornado?

Shuie3225

Starter
Would you be happy with McVay continuing to run the offense the way he did this year, with no deep threat

I thought this originally too but to me me this theory went out the window when Walford came in and completed 4 passes of 20+ yards in the air in his very first start in the NFL. He also narrowly missed on another 2-3 deep balls. Goff completed 2 passes of 20+ yards in the air his previous 6 starts.

Our route combos have deep routes built in, and Goff is the one that decides to take the underneath routes for whatever reason. He doesn't get enough blame for his lack of aggressiveness and accuracy down the field to me. It's been 2 years now of non existent explosive passing plays. Walford comes in and we're suddenly throwing the ball down the field constantly? McVay didnt change the scheme...the QB makes the decision where to throw the ball. Granted we dont have a pure deep field burner anymore, but our WRs are more than capable of making plays down the field. Goff was 32nd ranked in the NFL in Yards Per Attempt in the air.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I wish Goff the best if things go the way it looks right now. IMO he's in that above average range. Can that make you look stupid? Sure all that would take is a situation where everything around him is ideal.

But I'm not going to act like this is Fisher getting rid of a QB. McVay knows his shit.

Martz knew his shit too. Dumped Warner for Bulger and let the other problems linger and never looked at his own contribution to the demise of Warner with the Rams. Cost him his job eventually. He even later admitted (far too late obviously) that he got Warner killed. And we know what Warner eventually did.

McVay is a good coach and yes, he knows his shit. But like Martz, another brilliant offensive mind who knew QBs, McVay is human and capable of making mistakes. How he handles this, and what happens with Goff should the Rams get rid of him will make or break his career here.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Forgetting loving or hating Goff assuming there was a taker like the colts would the rams be able to get there 1st and 3rd (or 4th) for Goff and 4th(or 5th)?

What do you guys love him hate him or tweeners believe his value is?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I thought this originally too but to me me this theory went out the window when Walford came in and completed 4 passes of 20+ yards in the air in his very first start in the NFL. He also narrowly missed on another 2-3 deep balls. Goff completed 2 passes of 20+ yards in the air his previous 6 starts.

Our route combos have deep routes built in, and Goff is the one that decides to take the underneath routes for whatever reason. He doesn't get enough blame for his lack of aggressiveness and accuracy down the field to me. It's been 2 years now of non existent explosive passing plays. Walford comes in and we're suddenly throwing the ball down the field constantly? McVay didnt change the scheme...the QB makes the decision where to throw the ball. Granted we dont have a pure deep field burner anymore, but our WRs are more than capable of making plays down the field. Goff was 32nd ranked in the NFL in Yards Per Attempt in the air.

Ok, but that's one game - can you really project that over a whole season? That's not exactly a statistically significant sample size. It's also one game where the offense didn't score a TD, and against a D that Goff has repeatedly carved up since McVay's arrival.

Bearrister

Rookie
Ok, but that's one game - can you really project that over a whole season? That's not exactly a statistically significant sample size. It's also one game where the offense didn't score a TD, and against a D that Goff has repeatedly carved up since McVay's arrival.

I’d also take the guess that Arizona probably didn’t scheme to defend the deep ball because they didn’t think Walford was a threat to throw or complete them. Walford, to his credit, took his shots.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, so let me ask you this then (my disagreement with your assessment notwithstanding):

1) Would you be happy rolling with the same OL next year as we did this year? Same 5 starters?
2) Would you be happy with McVay continuing to run the offense the way he did this year, with no deep threat and with a much shorter, condensed passing game that quickly reduced to dink-and-dunk and surrender on 3rd and long with those ridiculous WR screens that go for little if any positive yardage?

Apparently you believe that the only thing we need to do to improve the offense is get rid of Goff, am I right?

That is a super complex question. I believe that if Goff just turned the ball over a few less times, we could still be playing. Yes the defense let us down against GB - but I think QB play was by far the weakest part of the team during the season and different opponents in the playoffs could have had different results - take Green Bay as an example - their offense was unstoppable against us and then mediocre the next week against a (statistically) worse defense. Mostly because of AD IMO - if we don't play Seattle and AD doesn't get hurt, who knows. But this isn't a guarantee and I realize that, just my take.

So for this past year, I think we could have been a Super Bowl team if our QB was above average at turning the ball over.

Moving forward, I expect our defense to be worse - much worse - and the offense needs to pick up the slack.

I believe our OL is a near copy of the Chiefs - so ideally we would get Watson. But that's not realistic.

If we're going to roll with Goff, then we have to upgrade the OL and WRs - but I think the OL and WRs were above average - however, based on my personal assessments of the Rams over the past four years, Goff was a great QB with the best all around supporting cast in the NFL. Whatever happened in the past is done - so if we keep him, we need to get him the best supporting cast, or he's going to keep struggling.

TLDR:

Defense will be worse, offense needs to be much better. Easiest way to do this is moving Goff for Watson, but not likely - if we keep Goff, we need to upgrade both OL and WR or expect Goff to continue to struggle.

My issue with Goff can basically be boiled down to IMO a $34 million QB should win the Super Bowl with the team we have - but that's not productive for what to do going forward.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d also take the guess that Arizona probably didn’t scheme to defend the deep ball because they didn’t think Walford was a threat to throw or complete them. Walford, to his credit, took his shots.

Do you think teams schemed against our deep ball with Goff when we hadn't thrown deep all year?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Martz knew his shit too. Dumped Warner for Bulger and let the other problems linger and never looked at his own contribution to the demise of Warner with the Rams. Cost him his job eventually. He even later admitted (far too late obviously) that he got Warner killed. And we know what Warner eventually did.

McVay is a good coach and yes, he knows his shit. But like Martz, another brilliant offensive mind who knew QBs, McVay is human and capable of making mistakes. How he handles this, and what happens with Goff should the Rams get rid of him will make or break his career here.
This righteous anger transferrence thing you have going from Warner to Goff I just can't get in on man. Moving on from Warner was probably the right choice. The problem I had then and now is them not having a better answer to replace him. That can happen when you have a guy who is held in high regard.

Warner also was physically not the same guy. Whereas Goff it's mental. The only value in connecting the two is trying to make McVay into Martz. For me there's too much buried BS in that path to waste my time on it. Cheers though and carry on with all that I'm sure others will take you up on it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes. Teams were scheming to take away our deep and intermediate game.

I saw so many plays where all 11 defenders were within 10 yards of the LOS but I trust your eval of that more than mine. If teams were taking away our deep game they were playing right into our hands with the short game and letting Woods and Kupp get YAC - makes it worse that our offense struggled so much

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
snoff.jpg

Bearrister

Rookie
Do you think teams schemed against our deep ball with Goff when we hadn't thrown deep all year?

If I had to guess, teams probably schemed more for Goff throwing a deep ball than they would against an undrafted free agent playing his first game.