The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Snead is about the worst interview ever. At best, a twitchy doofus. At worst, a stammering idiot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw so many plays where all 11 defenders were within 10 yards of the LOS but I trust your eval of that more than mine. If teams were taking away our deep game they were playing right into our hands with the short game and letting Woods and Kupp get YAC - makes it worse that our offense struggled so much

But they weren't playing into our hands. McVay's offense prefers chunk plays. It's designed to heavily attack the intermediate range and take selective deep shots. Fangio smothered us in 2018 by taking away the chunk plays, stuffing the run with his front, and forcing us to try and dink and dunk it. The goal of our play-action passing game is to draw the LBs up and complete passes in the intermediate range behind them. Teams weren't giving us a lot of that this year. And we were a lot more conservative with our traditional dropback game because of our OL's challenges.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah waiting for him to get to the point can be taxing. But what I like about him is his approach and how he looks at things. He says a lot of shit that resonates to me from a lot of the training that was shoved down my throat in my active duty days, the process-improvement programs as we called them.

And I think he's got good vision too which is crucial in leadership spots. Kind of an awkward speaker but there's a sharp mind behind it IMO.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The offense also played very well at times. Their rushing attack was one of the best in the league, right? And Kupp and Woods had good years. And even Goff had some good numbers. Yet the Rams offense, for whatever reason, can't score TD's! They do all of their damage between the 20's, and then stall out. How many times did the team get stopped on the goal line? Couldn't even run it in. Is that Goff's fault too? Or McVays? The point I am trying to make is that this offense has a lot of problems... not just Goff.

Maybe McVay and Snead want a guy that can carry the team by himself, and that's not Jared Goff. At least not yet. However, it's still basically the same players on offense that went to the super bowl. They just haven't been able to score TD's since Gurley got hurt. JMHO

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
We need to upgrade our Oline and at WR even if we trade for Rodgers! Did you see how bad he looked with pressure in his face all game?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This righteous anger transferrence thing you have going from Warner to Goff I just can't get in on man. Moving on from Warner was probably the right choice. The problem I had then and now is them not having a better answer to replace him. That can happen when you have a guy who is held in high regard.

Warner also was physically not the same guy. Whereas Goff it's mental. The only value in connecting the two is trying to make McVay into Martz. For me there's too much buried BS in that path to waste my time on it. Cheers though and carry on with all that I'm sure others will take you up on it.

The larger point is that those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. I realize that it's not a perfect analogy, but it's close enough. If the Rams - again - give up on a QB who can still play and who goes to another franchise and has a career renaissance, it's damning indictment of those who let it happen.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Watching Snead interviews always ends with me saying to myself "that's 30 minutes i'll never get back."
Dude has never really said anything. He's a vault.

Glad he's our guy though.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If we're going to roll with Goff, then we have to upgrade the OL and WRs - but I think the OL and WRs were above average - however, based on my personal assessments of the Rams over the past four years, Goff was a great QB with the best all around supporting cast in the NFL. Whatever happened in the past is done - so if we keep him, we need to get him the best supporting cast, or he's going to keep struggling.

So basically even you admit now that we need to upgrade the OL. I would like another deep threat in our WR room for sure, but I think VJ can provide some of that and with enough time for the QB to throw and good route running WRs (which ours most definitely are) you can still have a deep game without blazing speed. People seem to forget that Ike and Torry, while fast enough, weren't the guys who left flames in their wake (Ike was about a 4.5 40 guy), and yet they had no problem getting open deep. But the point is moot when the QB can't take the time to throw the deep or even intermediate routes, and that was the case far too often this year.

Defense will be worse, offense needs to be much better. Easiest way to do this is moving Goff for Watson, but not likely - if we keep Goff, we need to upgrade both OL and WR or expect Goff to continue to struggle.

It probably will. But you have to make choices. Two years ago we let Saffold walk and paid Dante Fowler a year prove it deal. This past season we paid Leonard Floyd on a one year prove it deal. While those signings were certainly good for our defense, they came with an opportunity cost of letting Saffold walk, as money used to pay Fowler and then Floyd could have covered a big chunk of Saffold's salary, if not the whole thing. We could have slipped Corbett in a C and Edwards at RG, and our OL would almost certainly be better, particularly with the beastly manner Saffold had played for the past couple of years and is still doing in TN. In that case, maybe we don't have as good a defense but we have a better offense and maybe we're not having a debate about our QB.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
So basically even you admit now that we need to upgrade the OL. I would like another deep threat in our WR room for sure, but I think VJ can provide some of that and with enough time for the QB to throw and good route running WRs (which ours most definitely are) you can still have a deep game without blazing speed. People seem to forget that Ike and Torry, while fast enough, weren't the guys who left flames in their wake (Ike was about a 4.5 40 guy), and yet they had no problem getting open deep. But the point is moot when the QB can't take the time to throw the deep or even intermediate routes, and that was the case far too often this year.

It probably will. But you have to make choices. Two years ago we let Saffold walk and paid Dante Fowler a year prove it deal. This past season we paid Leonard Floyd on a one year prove it deal. While those signings were certainly good for our defense, they came with an opportunity cost of letting Saffold walk, as money used to pay Fowler and then Floyd could have covered a big chunk of Saffold's salary, if not the whole thing. We could have slipped Corbett in a C and Edwards at RG, and our OL would almost certainly be better, particularly with the beastly manner Saffold had played for the past couple of years and is still doing in TN. In that case, maybe we don't have as good a defense but we have a better offense and maybe we're not having a debate about our QB.
Hindsight sure is a bitch.

HellRam

Starter
The larger point is that those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it. I realize that it's not a perfect analogy, but it's close enough. If the Rams - again - give up on a QB who can still play and who goes to another franchise and has a career renaissance, it's damning indictment of those who let it happen.

It's entirely possible Goff is not the guy. Personally I believe he is a starting caliber QB in the NFL worst case. My issue is though, why bail on Goff so early when he is young, winning and possibly still getting better. There's no benefit cap wise of letting him go yet. So why not give him anouther year?

Just seems like a unnecessary risk to bail on him already.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Watching Snead interviews always ends with me saying to myself "that's 30 minutes i'll never get back."
Dude has never really said anything. He's a vault.

Glad he's our guy though.
Seems like the Rams are always a tough team to crack as far as info goes. And I hate it, but love it.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Martz knew his shit too. Dumped Warner for Bulger and let the other problems linger and never looked at his own contribution to the demise of Warner with the Rams. Cost him his job eventually. He even later admitted (far too late obviously) that he got Warner killed. And we know what Warner eventually did.

McVay is a good coach and yes, he knows his shit. But like Martz, another brilliant offensive mind who knew QBs, McVay is human and capable of making mistakes. How he handles this, and what happens with Goff should the Rams get rid of him will make or break his career here.
Keeping Goff can have the same fate for mcvay. I've seen coaches get fired for hanging on to a player for too long. Works both ways

HellRam

Starter
Keeping Goff can have the same fate for mcvay. I've seen coaches get fired for hanging on to a player for too long. Works both ways

Except we are a winning franchise with Goff currently. So by letting him go is a risk. Pending a Rodgers/Watson type move.

Shuie3225

Starter
I'm not positive Goff will take the Rams to the promised land and win us Super Bowls in the future if we hold on to him.

But I am convinced if we send him packing he will be a thorn in our side and an embarrassing example on why you shouldn't give up on young QBs.
I can see him being damn good for a long time.

I'll trust McVay over you or anyone's opinion on this board. The youngest coach in NFL history to have as many winning seasons as he had. A coach who transformed the 31st ranked offense to #1 in his very first year. A coach who holds himself and everyone around him to standards of greatness.

The guy who has a blood lineage to NFL greatness and has learned from some of the best coaches to ever coach in this game. Yea I'll roll with that guy's opinion of Goff...Sorry.

If McVay says we need a new QB... then we need a new QB.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Seems like the Rams are always a tough team to crack as far as info goes. And I hate it, but love it.
Yeah its usually a good idea to just wait for the Rams to break their own news, otherwise it's just 100% canned info.

Reporter: asks direct tough question

Rams: Really pleased with so and so, we have a process etc

Shuie3225

Starter
Yes. Teams were scheming to take away our deep and intermediate game.

Couldnt disagree more..teams were sitting on underneath routes and playing single high on a ton of snaps against us. They were daring us to beat them deep and we did not.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Yeah its usually a good idea to just wait for the Rams to break their own news, otherwise it's just 100% canned info.

Reporter: asks direct tough question

Rams: Really pleased with so and so, we have a process etc
Which baffles me about how Snead/McVay have publicly spoke about Goff last week.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying I believe the media heads, but if Goff is indeed butt hurt about not starting against Seahawks he needs to get over it. He was clearly not ready to play that game, and we probably lose if he starts. He played well against Greenbay, but his throwing was way off against the Seahawks.

But like I said, I don't believe that Goff is that mad about not starting that game. Maybe if Wolford shit the bed, but Goff was the worse QB that game.
@Memphis Ram still think no one has come close to saying Goff gets no credit for winning and all the credit for losing?? My man just said we would have lost a game if Goff started it when Wolford only threw 6 passes....isn’t that the same thing ?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Who's the guy who wants a shiny new Goff thread?
I'm not saying I believe the media heads, but if Goff is indeed butt hurt about not starting against Seahawks he needs to get over it. He was clearly not ready to play that game, and we probably lose if he starts. He played well against Greenbay, but his throwing was way off against the Seahawks.

But like I said, I don't believe that Goff is that mad about not starting that game. Maybe if Wolford shit the bed, but Goff was the worse QB that game.
Jake-Gyllenhall-Point-and-Laugh-Nightcrawler.gif

Merging in 3...2....1.....