The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
IMG_20210126_154256.jpg

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Doesn't mean someone is going to be eager to take his contract, especially with the salary cap likely declining this offseason. Bradford was in his sixth season when he got traded and we never extended him, so he had at most one year left on his deal which meant pretty much zero long term cap issues for either of the trade partners in that one.
I can't be so sure.
Look at a team like Indy.
They made it to the playoffs this year.
They have a fairly decent team.
Then Rivers retires.

Goff would be a great fit in Indy, if they don't make a run for Watson.

Shuie3225

Starter
The fact that they're openly talking like this is so weird man

Is it weird?? In all walks of life people get paid to perform. Our QB is fucking makingn $30+ million dollars a year..and is holding the offense back. Its not surprising at all. McVay has extremely high standards. For McVay not to commit to Goff being the starter was one thing, but to double down the day after and not commit to him being on thr roster was surprising.

One week later the GM is doing the same thing. Now I seriously think McVay wants him gone. This is getting very interesting. Wow wow wow.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
This is becoming more and more clear it’s to motivate Jared to improve what he did wrong this year. I just hope Snead and McVay are looking in the mirror to get better too.

It’s weird. Only thing that makes sense to me is McVay & Snead want to put pressure on Goff to focus and work harder — ala Phil Jackson type motivation via the media.

If they truly want him gone, they are only damaging themselves in efforts to trade him for some value. It’s also a huge admission of their own fault in giving him the keys and the huge extension. So I gotta believe they understand that and it’s simply a plan to light a fire under Goffs ars motivation.

Man, I hope you guys are right. That would be by far the most sane play in all of this. I might feel different if Bill O'Brien was still running the show in Houston, but they have someone now who's not that dumb.

Our QB playing with a busted thumb on his throwing hand currently has the third highest playoff passer rating this season behind Mahomes and Rodgers.
Goff-Postseason.png

Also, notice the sack numbers in that.

Of those who only played two games, only Lamar Jackson took more, and probably because he's not that great of a passer and runs too quickly. Josh Allen took more, but that was over three games. Jackson and Oompa Loompa are the only ones with a higher average per playoff game on that list. Meanwhile, Rothlesberger didn't take any against the Browns and still threw 4 picks at home against a team whose defensive backfield was decimated due to Covid. Probably Goff's fault.

Bearrister

Rookie
Doesn't mean someone is going to be eager to take his contract, especially with the salary cap likely declining this offseason. Bradford was in his sixth season when he got traded and we never extended him, so he had at most one year left on his deal which meant pretty much zero long term cap issues for either of the trade partners in that one.

Good point -Goff’s high-priced 4-year extension starts next year. So whoever trades for him would be committing to cap issues for the next several years for a QB with an unclear career trajectory. That’s going to lower our leverage in any potential trade.

Let me make clear - I have faith in Goff and think he can turn things around, whether it’s with the Rams or someone else. But I’m also anticipating the shit that opposing teams will counter with.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't be so sure.
Then Rivers retires.

Indy is the perfect trade partner if they like Goff. My guess is that SF outbids them for Stafford. They pick too low in the Draft to have a top QB fall to them. Goff fits their system to a T (he plays a lot like Philip Rivers). They have a studly OL if they replace the retiring Castonzo. And they have the cap money to absorb Goff's deal and still bring in weapons for him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope so, but playing devil’s advocate, Goff’s contract is also a lot bigger than Osweiler’s. If I’m a potential trade partner, I’m hammering that fact to leverage as many picks as possible. At the very least the Osweiler trade is the floor of any potential deal.

Yeah but one qb is garbage and the other was part of the 2nd most wins in the league since 2017.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Is it weird?? In all walks of life people get paid to perform. Our QB is fucking makingn $30+ million dollars a year..and is holding the offense back. Its not surprising at all. McVay has extremely high standards. For McVay not to commit to Goff being the starter was one thing, but to double down the day after and not commit to him being on thr roster was surprising.

One week later the GM is doing the same thing. Now I seriously think McVay wants him gone. This is getting very interesting. Wow wow wow.
I'm beginning to think, a handshake deal may already be done.

I agree with @Ram_Rally. I find it odd as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good point -Goff’s high-priced 4-year extension starts next year. So whoever trades for him would be committing to cap issues for the next several years for a QB with an unclear career trajectory. That’s going to lower our leverage in any potential trade.

Let me make clear - I have faith in Goff and think he can turn things around, whether it’s with the Rams or someone else. But I’m also anticipating the shit that opposing teams will counter with.

That's not accurate. The team trading for him acquires him on an affordable deal (because we eat the dead cap). He'll be making about $25 million per year for them, and they can cut him with no dead cap after 2022. If they cut him after 2021, they still save $10 million against the cap. The contract isn't problematic for the team acquiring him. He'd be making about what Jimmy G, Stafford, and Derek Carr make.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope so, but playing devil’s advocate, Goff’s contract is also a lot bigger than Osweiler’s. If I’m a potential trade partner, I’m hammering that fact to leverage as many picks as possible. At the very least the Osweiler trade is the floor of any potential deal.

I'm laughing you out of the room if I'm the Rams. Osweiler wasn't a starting QB. In the past four years, at his best, Goff was a top 10 QB. At his worst, he was around #20. You don't dump a guy like that. We're winning football games with him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm beginning to think, a handshake deal may already be done.

I agree with @Ram_Rally . I find it odd as well.

The only explanations I have are: (1) they are going to make a deal in the next month and are finalizing things or (2) they want to motivate Goff this off-season.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I can't be so sure.
Then Rivers retires.

Indy is the perfect trade partner if they like Goff. My guess is that SF outbids them for Stafford. They pick too low in the Draft to have a top QB fall to them. Goff fits their system to a T (he plays a lot like Philip Rivers). They have a studly OL if they replace the retiring Castonzo. And they have the cap money to absorb Goff's deal and still bring in weapons for him.

He would be a great fit for them. And given what @jrry32 says, he probably sees his career rebound in that scenario. Which will of course beg the question, why didn't we try to create those same conditions for him here?

You know who else gets paid to perform? You know who else got an extension after the 2018 season? McVay. Has he performed as well the last two years? Did he see to it that the offensive line problems of 2019 were eliminated, that we got rid of our weakest link that has gotten our QB sacked time and time again and has contributed in us having to shorten the passing game? Has his playcalling gotten better or at least stayed as creative as it was?

Bosses certainly need to hold their subordinates accountable. But they also have to account for their own screw-ups, and McVay has had plenty of his own, some of which have directly and negatively impacted the subordinate he now seems to eager to scapegoat.

Bearrister

Rookie
That's not accurate. The team trading for him acquires him on an affordable deal (because we eat the dead cap). He'll be making about $25 million per year for them, and they can cut him with no dead cap after 2022. If they cut him after 2021, they still save $10 million against the cap. The contract isn't problematic for the team acquiring him. He'd be making about what Jimmy G, Stafford, and Derek Carr make.

Interesting, I didn’t realize the dead cap money works that way. I thought it meant that, for example, the Rams would have $22 million in dead cap in 2021if we traded Goff, but the other team would still be on the hook for the remainder of Goff’s contract (IOW, they’d pay him $35 million in 2021, $36 in 2022, etc.). If that’s the case the Rams have more options than I thought.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The only explanations I have are: (1) they are going to make a deal in the next month and are finalizing things or (2) they want to motivate Goff this off-season.
Those are the only 2 I can think of.

I just don't see this current organization bashing their starting QB out of anger and spite. It is completely beneath them.

We also haven't heard anything from Goff. So I'm sure he and his agent know what the truth is.

Shuie3225

Starter
He would be a great fit for them. And given what @jrry32 says, he probably sees his career rebound in that scenario. Which will of course beg the question, why didn't we try to create those same conditions for him here?

We cannot build a great OL this off-season. Upgrading center wont turn this line into a top unit. Indy has a top 5 OL. It doesn't make sense to run Goff out another season behind an average OL, we know what kind of QB play we'll get.

Given teams will only have to pay Goff $25M or so next year, I definitely expect there to be suitors. Some people think a handshake deal is already in place. Hard to say but based on everything we've been hearing from McVay and now Snead.. I think the odds are now in favor of us moving him this off-season.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm a big fan of Snead, but I do not like the jab he took at Goff... "well, he's a Ram right now..". What the fuck is that? Criticize him all you want in private, but you don't disrespect any man in public. What's next... is Goff gonna criticize McVay for his play calling? Or Snead for his draft picks? Let's have a full-blown team meltdown, as long as we're at it. And BTW... I watched the 49er highlights... the defense stunk until the second half. I also saw Kupp drop a long pass, then a TD pass, then Reynolds made another half-ass attempt at catching a pass. The line seems to block well on run plays but struggles on pass plays. In other words, lots of blame to go around. Very disappointed in Snead and McVay though, for calling out any player, especially after giving him a big contract.

Bearrister

Rookie

Of all things, there’s a worthwhile word in those Twitter comments that we’re not paying enough attention to - “disrepect.” The NFL is a business, but on a certain level I’d imagine a player (no matter how much $$$ they make) doesn’t want to be somewhere they aren’t wanted. If I’m Goff, McVay and Snead’s comments make it clear that I’m not wanted anymore. It’ll be really hard to mend the relationship with comments like this - they can’t recross this bridge if Goff stays in the roster. That’s why I think the FO must have something lined up.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Right there with you. I'll add a small twist though. Maybe they're having positive talks with several teams but each team is a little gun shy. So all of this public stuff is to get other suitors to play chicken. Because, like you said, it may be painfully clear that someone is in on Goff at this point.