The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ya something is definitely in the works. I can’t think of any other reason that they would let this story run like this. Wouldn’t put anything past this front office so this is going to be a crazy offseason lol
I wonder if they're signaling to other teams that they'd do an osweiler type trade to get him off the books.

HellRam

Starter
I'd rather we quit taking unnecessary cap hits and build a better team around Goff for the time being.

It's also disappointing to see the Rams coaching/front office pretty much brush aside the fact that Goff played pretty good these playoffs. Why not build on that going into the offseason?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
It's funny cause some of us lost faith in Goff some in mcvays play calling. When I think about it what if goff lost faith in Mcvay and mcvay in Goff. That's hard to comeback from. Might not be that Goff is regressing because of his skills or mcvay can't call a game. Maybe Goff wants to do more and is handcuffed cause he lost that right when mcvay had to dumb down the offense handcuffing mcvay himself and goff. If both feel shackled by one another. That's hard to come back from. So it will take some offseason marriage counseling as Wyche reported. This can go really well or realty bad.
This is the best angle I've had for Goff in a while and it might be more worrisome. If they can't repair it one has to go and in my opinion it will be Goff but then because of the stalemate his value blows. Maybe it isn't entirely Goffs fault in a way he lost trust that trust was lost in him. So he just goes for "safe" play even forcing all short plays then Mcvay sees that and calls safe plays to make him feel comfortable and that's why he is scared to let it fly in the red zone etc.

Yes Goff turnover issues got us here prior to mcvay losing trust. Maybe this is being put out there purposely to light a fire under goff and if he doesn't start trusting himself to do what he is capable of. In turn mcvay will let it rip in preseason and see how he handles it. After that if it doesn't jive then they are at the point of no return.

A change of scenery might be best without trust this isn't going to work. It would be better if it was mechanics or putting more work in but it if they cannot work out the trust issues it's only going to get worse.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather we quit taking unnecessary cap hits and build a better team around Goff for the time being.

It's also disappointing to see the Rams coaching/front office pretty much brush aside the fact that Goff played pretty good these playoffs. Why not build on that going into the offseason?
Yeah that's the real issue. We give out some awful contracts.

However, on Goff's performance. I think we have to differentiate between playing well and playing gutsy. The Seahawks win was gutsy but his numbers were bad. I get it, the thumb, but it still wasn't great. Just gutsy. The Packers game. I mean 21 completions for 174 yards is not effiicient enough. If you're Mcvay, those 2 games don't sway you that much.

Tano

Legend
I just feel it is wrong to move on from Goff because there is no one out there better than Goff that we can get and keep the CAP manageable.

We are going to screw ourselves in the foot with CAP issues is they do decide to trade Goff. The team will be overall worse even if we get a better QB for McVay's system because of this CAP issue.

HellRam

Starter

However, on Goff's performance. I think we have to differentiate between playing well and playing gutsy. The Seahawks win was gutsy but his numbers were bad. I get it, the thumb, but it still wasn't great. Just gutsy. The Packers game. I mean 21 completions for 174 yards is not effiicient enough. If you're Mcvay, those 2 games don't sway you that much.

Have you seen the other QBs numbers. I believe Goff had the 3rd highest passer rating out of the 14 playoff QBs. Plus that's with average oline and no true dynamic receiving option.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
Les Snead certainly didn’t help this topic. He just said “he’s a Ram in this moment.” Just got the video on the NFL app.

If we can’t get Watson, I just don’t see why we don’t continue to build around Goff. No one else excites me. But hey, we got rid of Cooks and Gurley and they both, in hindsight, were smart moves to make. Although, of course, it didn’t help us from a cap perspective but I digress.

Bearrister

Rookie
I wonder if they're signaling to other teams that they'd do an osweiler type trade to get him off the books.

Thats a good comp. The Rams would have to trade Goff and a few picks to entice someone to take his contract. With Goff’s cap hit, that suggests that they’ll go with a lower-cost replacement QB (Darnold or another mid-tier free agent QB). With whatever they’d have to trade to make a Goff dumping trade work, they’ll have even less assets to make a Watson or Rodgers trade doable.

For comparison, the Texans traded Osweiler, a future 2nd round pick, and a 6 round pick, to Cleveland for a 4th round pick. Given Goff’s contract, the Rams would have to trade at least that level of picks, if not more - unless the other team actually thinks they can make it work with Goff.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I just feel it is wrong to move on from Goff because there is no one out there better than Goff that we can get and keep the CAP manageable.

We are going to screw ourselves in the foot with CAP issues is they do decide to trade Goff. The team will be overall worse even if we get a better QB for McVay's system because of this CAP issue.

Well, there are a number of possibilities on how it could shake out, and they are not all mutually exclusive from one another. Here are two:

a) If we move on from Goff and the team gets worse (not out of the question, especially with what it will do to the cap), it's not going to look good for McVay and Snead, especially after having signed off on his extension two years ago and there being no medical issues, as there was with Gurley and Cooks both.

b) If Goff goes on to succeed elsewhere, it's also going to look bad for McVay and Snead, as it will be clear that they gave up on him too soon - again, just two years after giving him a big extension, while letting the talent around him deteriorate.

If both a) and b) happen - and they both can - it's going to be a terrible indictment of both McVay and Snead.

God this franchise is fucking stupid when it comes to QBs, just fucking stupid.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you seen the other QBs numbers. I believe Goff had the 3rd highest passer rating out of the 14 playoff QBs. Plus that's with average oline and no true dynamic receiving option.
I thought it was just third highest that week. Idk. I def don't think the Rams are so lacking of weapons that our offense should be consistent pitiful. I don't think the line is bad either. Goff was tenth in the league for average time in the pocket.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
But hey, we got rid of Cooks and Gurley and they both, in hindsight, were smart moves to make. Although, of course, it didn’t help us from a cap perspective but I digress.

In both of those cases though, there were medical issues. In Gurley's case, it was fairly clear to them that his knee situation was going to prevent him from ever playing again at a level that justified the contract. Cooks had concussion issues, and is still one away from a career ender, if not worse.

Thats a good comp. The Rams would have to trade Goff and a few picks to entice someone to take his contract. With Goff’s cap hit, that suggests that they’ll go with a lower-cost replacement QB (Darnold or another mid-tier free agent QB). With whatever they’d have to trade to make a Goff dumping trade work, they’ll have even less assets to make a Watson or Rodgers trade doable.

For comparison, the Texans traded Osweiler, a future 2nd round pick, and a 6 round pick, to Cleveland for a 4th round pick. Given Goff’s contract, the Rams would have to trade at least that level of picks, if not more - unless the other team actually thinks they can make it work with Goff.

That would be just utterly fucking retarded to do without us having a first rounder this year and I believe the next due to the Ramsey trade. Giving up extra picks and further draining our draft capital, making it harder to improve the team around the QB and fix the problems we already know we have.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Goff way more talented. That might help

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't know if McVay and Goff are fighting behind the scenes or not.
If this is the case. There is no way Rogers would be a fit here. Rogers doesn't get along with anyone.

If Snead and McVay are just ready to move on, I hope to hell its not to get Rogers or Stafford.

As @dieterbrock stated. Rogers has talked about retirement in the past and will probably call it quits if he wins a Super Bowl.
Stafford is also up there in age and would only be an option for me as placeholder for a talented rookie.

Watson is the only guy that is unanimously an improvement.

My QB Wishlist for 2021
1) Watson
2) Goff
3) Rogers
4) Stafford.

These seem to be the Options as of now. Even though the outsiders are just speculatory at the moment.

Yeah. It looks like it may be an eventful offseason.

Last edited:

Bearrister

Rookie
In both of those cases though, there were medical issues. In Gurley's case, it was fairly clear to them that his knee situation was going to prevent him from ever playing again at a level that justified the contract. Cooks had concussion issues, and is still one away from a career ender, if not worse.

That would be just utterly fucking retarded to do without us having a first rounder this year and I believe the next due to the Ramsey trade. Giving up extra picks and further draining our draft capital, making it harder to improve the team around the QB and fix the problems we already know we have.

Yeah I totally agree with you. I’m starting with the premise that the Rams FO isn’t stupid, so
I’m hoping/assuming they have something lined up. But the more I think out potential scenarios (like the Goff-dumping trade outlined above) I’m seeing a lot that suggests I could be wrong about the FO. I hope I’m not.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Who knows for certain?
Look what people were willing to give up for Bradford. I cant remember the details, but we got a pretty good deal for him from Philly.
I think Philly got something decent in return when Bradford went to Minnesota.

I'm sure Goff has value to a few teams out there.
How much? Idk.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yet a McVay quote is Jared will get the extension he deserves so not sure how it can be called awful if the guy running the show says he deserved it.

Bearrister

Rookie
Goff way more talented. That might help

I hope so, but playing devil’s advocate, Goff’s contract is also a lot bigger than Osweiler’s. If I’m a potential trade partner, I’m hammering that fact to leverage as many picks as possible. At the very least the Osweiler trade is the floor of any potential deal.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yet a McVay quote is Jared will get the extension he deserves so not sure how it can be called awful if the guy running the show says he deserved it.
Because the guys making the decisions might be lol

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If they do that, I cut ties with this franchise for good. There aren't many lines for me, but that level of stupid isn't something I will abide. If they want to deal Goff to facilitate a Watson trade, I'm game. But dumping a starting QB like that is beyond the threshold for stupidity that I'll take. We got a fucking starting QB and a 2nd for Sam fucking Bradford. Goff is more durable and better than Bradford ever was.