The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
We cannot build a great OL this off-season. Upgrading center wont turn this line into a top unit. Indy has a top 5 OL. It doesn't make sense to run Goff out another season behind an average OL, we know what kind of QB play we'll get.

Given teams will only have to pay Goff $25M or so next year, I definitely expect there to be suitors. Some people think a handshake deal is already in place. Hard to say but based on everything we've been hearing from McVay and now Snead.. I think the odds are now in favor of us moving him this off-season.

Disagree - upgrading the C will do wonders for this OL. One weak link can ripple through the entire OL, and nobody who's not high on meth right now thinks that Blythe is anything other than a weak link. So damn many running and pass plays have been blown up this season because Blythe whiffed on his blocks. Just that one position - which could have been upgraded before last season - would help a lot.

It wouldn't necessarily bring it up to 2017-2018 standards (when Blythe played better, at least until the latter part of '18), but it would certainly improve it a lot. And @jrry32 's plan to go after Larry Warford and move Corbett to C is one that should be looked at, because if Warford is ready to play then our line is instantly and significantly upgraded under that scenario.

Bearrister

Rookie
I'm a big fan of Snead, but I do not like the jab he took at Goff... "well, he's a Ram right now..". What the fuck is that? Criticize him all you want in private, but you don't disrespect any man in public. What's next... is Goff gonna criticize McVay for his play calling? Or Snead for his draft picks? Let's have a full-blown team meltdown, as long as we're at it. And BTW... I watched the 49er highlights... the defense stunk until the second half. I also saw Kupp drop a long pass, then a TD pass, then Reynolds made another half-ass attempt at catching a pass. The line seems to block well on run plays but struggles on pass plays. In other words, lots of blame to go around. Very disappointed in Snead and McVay though, for calling out any player, especially after giving him a big contract.
Bingo. That line about “what’s today’s date, January 26?” What kind of smart-ass comment is that? That’s totally disrespectful. Hence my comments above about not being able to unring this bell.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He would be a great fit for them. And given what @jrry32 says, he probably sees his career rebound in that scenario. Which will of course beg the question, why didn't we try to create those same conditions for him here?

I hope we do. I think we'll regret trading Goff if we don't land a MVP-caliber QB (Watson or Rodgers). We'll see what they do.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Our QB playing with a busted thumb on his throwing hand currently has the third highest playoff passer rating this season behind Mahomes and Rodgers.

Lol a two game sample size doesn't undo two seasons of turning the ball over way too much lol.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
It's my opinion that the OL was good this year - the game that bothered me most this year for Goff was the first Niner game and he had clean pockets all night.

It's obviously not shared by many people but if you factor in every position on offense and the coach, there not many QBs that have a better situation than Goff.

And AD only has a few years of THIS type of play left - Goff may well his his prime, but by the time he does, the rest of the team might not be good enough to win it all - but IMO it is now.

The obvious rebuttal is that the defense let us down but if Goff was just average, IMO we get a first round bye and it's a completely different story.
Yeah, worried about donalds invincibility and when he starts falling off. How many years has goff been " developing"? The window is closing but..... they are at least in it every year. Just remember the spagnulo and fisher years? Oh boy.

madrid311

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
No I didnt...I said "If you would choose Goff over McVay you're fucking nuts."

Meaning that McVay's opinion and judgement is what should matter most and what really counts. If he's calling out Goff to the media for his bad play...That means Goff is not playing well, regardless of what anyone around here thinks. If McVay thought the fault was all on the OL he would've called them out, or said we need to improve our blocking. But he chose his words wisely and made a decision to not only call out Goff, but not commit to him next year.

So if you truly value McVay's opinion and his ability to coach and evaluate football talent...that should tell you a lot about his opinion of Goff right now.
The best post so far!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol a two game sample size doesn't undo two seasons of turning the ball over way too much lol.

Thanks for your contribution. We were talking about his performance in the playoffs. Gotta take a shot at Goff even when it's not relevant to the discussion. :rolleyes:

Shuie3225

Starter
Some interesting dialogue here between Rich Hammond and Mike Silver. Silver is the closest reporter to Goff and texts him personally.

Screenshot_20210126-142202.png

Screenshot_20210126-142218.png

Bearrister

Rookie
Right there with you. I'll add a small twist though. Maybe they're having positive talks with several teams but each team is a little gun shy. So all of this public stuff is to get other suitors to play chicken. Because, like you said, it may be painfully clear that someone is in on Goff at this point.

That makes sense. Snead’s comment about “anything is possible in a salary-capped league” could be his way of signaling to potential suitors, “hey trading Goff isn’t as unworkable as you think. We have options, so don’t come at us with crap deals.”

madrid311

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
Again the OL was not as bad as many around here are making it out to be. People have forgotten the 2019 OL. But blaming the OL and McVay are just more convenient for some, even though McVay HIMSELF was the one calling out Goff to the media. McVay didnt call out the OL. He called out his QB.

I was just letting you know Goff had 2.5sec per drop-back last year so you might need to work on a new theory. Lack of a deep threat and new girlfriend seem to be popular ones lately.
I also belive he didn't know where the sun rises or sets, I forget. Either way not the brightest turnip in the patch. Lolol

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Again the OL was not as bad as many around here are making it out to be.

Go look at all the playoff teams. Then tell me which ones had a worse OL than the Rams.

I can think of only one possibility, Seattle, and we already know what happened to them. Who else had an OL that was as equal to or less than the Rams of the teams that made the playoffs. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
Thanks for your contribution. We were talking about his performance in the playoffs. Gotta take a shot at Goff even when it's not relevant to the discussion. :rolleyes:

I'm hardly anything close to a "Goff basher". He's an average quarterback and I judge him on that mantra, but if an average QB turns the ball over as much as he does, then it becomes problematic.

Either way, I don't know why you want Snead or McVay to mention how good he played in the playoffs because, in my eyes, he was just okay but hey he was tough I guess. When you think about how much McVay has eaten for Goff over the years, I can see why patience is starting to run thin.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When the Rams had a better offense it was full of three wr sets with a good speed guy and a line capable of blocking.
Agreed. The problem behind all that was first losing Cooks too, because in 2020 McVay elected to play more 12 sets and in 12 you remove a WR for a TE. And the TE in question (Everett) doesn't move the bar at all.

So the offense needs a 3rd weapon, which is not a change from last offseason. We discussed the mediocrity of Reynolds last year and the board was right about that. We have discussed Everett forever and the board was right about him too. Those two guys are a big part of the reason we saw such dropoff even with our other issues but I guess as a staff and org you gotta play them and give them the opportunity seeing as how we didn't have any better options.

I'd have thought by now that Rams fans would realize how McVay and Snead like to play the media.
How quickly we forget how they dodged all the Gurley questions about the knee, and health in general
It's totally possible they are being 100% transparent here and Goff has a lot to prove, but they also could be totally f$%ing with everyone and laughing at the idea that they are moving on
Neither would surprise me, in fact I think I'd be more surprised that they are being transparent
I think they are entertaining a June trade of Goff. At that stage you want to let people know he's available and try to sell his value a bit to see what the market is. That press conference just felt like that to me.

That plus the fact we're at a disadvantage in competition with the 9ers, Saints, Patriots etc for the top vet QB options on the market leads me to think our original discussions of secondary options like Minshew and Darnold might be on point. But even those guys could quickly be out of our price range if there's too much competition.

If there's a silver lining here it's that a June trade insulates them a bit. By that I mean they still have Goff as a fallback if things don't go their way. IMO that is where they're at. And all that aside I do think this press conference insinuates that McVay is done with Goff but it wouldn't be the first time a coach has to keep a guy around for another year due to contract and you never know maybe they get back on the same page if things go that route. So for those who are hurt badly by the thought of the Rams moving on there's still a long way to go here.

I just feel it is wrong to move on from Goff because there is no one out there better than Goff that we can get and keep the CAP manageable.
We don't know that to be true. They could move up into round 1 and take a QB and we have no idea how that will work out. We can project it and all but you just don't know.

Goff has been disappointing, but even disappointing Goff is a middle of the pack starting QB.
I agree with this and it's why I'm also of the mind that keeping him is wise. Even if you pull his job and make it an open competition you still have his value and stand to gain by him getting his shit together. Because then even if he and McVay are done you can trade him with rebuilt value.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hardly anything close to a "Goff basher". He's an average quarterback and I judge him on that mantra, but if an average QB turns the ball over as much as he does, then it becomes problematic.

Either way, I don't know why you want Snead or McVay to mention how good he played in the playoffs because, in my eyes, he was just okay but hey he was tough I guess. When you think about how much McVay has eaten for Goff over the years, I can see why patience is starting to run thin.

Read the conversation, dude. I responded to A with B. And you're over here trying to argue C. You'll understand the point I was making and what I actually want, instead of asking me to defend the straw man you created. (Or better yet, ask me what my point was.)

Shuie3225

Starter
That makes sense. Snead’s comment about “anything is possible in a salary-capped league” could be his way of signaling to potential suitors, “hey trading Goff isn’t as unworkable as you think. We have options, so don’t come at us with crap deals.”

Very, very possible. Given Snead's history of being one of the best GMs in football at getting trades done.. this could very much be the case.

People saying all this talk is just motivation for Goff doesn't seem that plausible to me. We've never seen McVay and the front office take a stand like this publicly. If they really just wanted to motivate him they would do it behind the scenes because they feel Goff is still their guy. They are just flat out disrespecting him publicly now, how can that be construed as constructive? All this talk feels like Goff isn't thier guy anymore.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope for their sakes other teams also have people who understand the NFL salary cap. Seems only fans would need that clarification.

Shuie3225

Starter
He would be a great fit for them. And given what @jrry32 says, he probably sees his career rebound in that scenario. Which will of course beg the question, why didn't we try to create those same conditions for him here?

Not only that..but here's another thought...

Frank Reich was in Philly in 2016 when they traded up to #2 after we traded to #1. They had to do a TON of evaluation on Goff in case we drafted Wentz. He has done more evaluation on Goff then most other coaches I would think.

When we played Philly this year, during Doug P's media session, he was asked by a reporter what his evaluation of Goff was and if Philly would have selected him #2 if the Rams decided on Wentz. Doug P said "yes we were prepared to draft Goff at 2."

You know Reich was a big part of that evaluation process and signing off on Goff.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Rarely seen a veteran player, current starter, and former #1 draft pick disrespected like this by his coach, then his GM.

Surprising given the subterfuge employed by Ram's coach and GM in the past.

Two ways I see this going. Goff is infuriated and comes back next year with vengence and a consistent near Brady like level of play.

Or he's infuriated and will renegotiate his contract to make a trade, any trade, happen.

Lets hope for the former.

Last edited: