The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they are entertaining a June trade of Goff. At that stage you want to let people know he's available and try to sell his value a bit to see what the market is.
Unless they can trade him in Feb/March with a post June 1 designation, I dont see how this is remotely possible.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I have come to terms with the fact Jared won't be with the Rams next season.

After all this bullshit from Mcvay and Snead there's no way he will return to the team.

Imagine if they trade him away and roll with wolford? I don't think I'd be able to watch them play again.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Unless they can trade him in Feb/March with a post June 1 designation, I dont see how this is remotely possible.
You don't see how it's possible for them to trade him post June 1st? Not sure what you mean there.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Go look at all the playoff teams. Then tell me which ones had a worse OL than the Rams.

I can think of only one possibility, Seattle, and we already know what happened to them. Who else had an OL that was as equal to or less than the Rams of the teams that made the playoffs. Go ahead, we'll wait.

Look man there are a lot of ways to look at this. Especially how the QB affects line play. Is he making the correct protection calls? Is he getting the ball out quick when he sees pressure? Is he making the right read based on the coverage or the correct decision, etc?

But isolating the OL and looking at their performance alone, they are no where near as bad as many around here are making them out to be. People talk about the OL like it was trash. The 2019 line was bad, but this year was FAR improved. But you would never know that given peoples tone and all the OL hate. But I get trying to move blame from Goff to the OL, makes sense. But IMO our line was league average AT WORST, and I would say top 1/3 of the league probably. We had the #10 rushing attack in the NFL. You have forgotten what the OL looked like last year if you think the 2020 line was bad.

Still all this being said..our opinions on the OL dont mean shit. It's what McVay thinks and how he's evaluating the offensive performance. And McVay obviously feels Goff should have played better and is the problem. He didn't blame the OL. He didn't call out individual lineman like he did with Goff. That should tell you a lot. McVay knows more about offensive football then everyone on this forum combined.

PFF rank #3 (dont necessarily agree but take it for what its worth) --- https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

Undroppables rank #11-- https://www.theundroppables.com/rankings/offensive-line/

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You don't see how it's possible for them to trade him post June 1st? Not sure what you mean there.

They could. But that's a long time to wait. Teams, including us, typically need clarity at QB before that point.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They could. But that's a long time to wait. Teams, including us, typically need clarity at QB before that point.
Price also goes up for us after then because we've paid his roster bonus while what we get goes down if somebody else has to pay it.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Look man there are a lot of ways to look at this. Especially how the QB affects line play. Is he making the correct protection calls? Is he getting the ball out quick when he sees pressure? Is he making the right read based on the coverage or the correct decision, etc?

But isolating the OL and looking at their performance alone, they are no where near as bad as many around here are making them out to be. People talk about the OL like it was trash. The 2019 line was bad, but this year was FAR improved. But you would never know that given peoples tone and all the OL hate. But I get trying to move blame from Goff to the OL, makes sense. But IMO our line was league average AT WORST, and I would say top 1/3 of the league probably. You have forgotten what the OL looked like last year if you think the 2020 line was bad.

Still all this being said our opinions on the OL dont mean shit. It's what McVay thinks and how he's evaluating the offensive performance. And McVay obviously feels Goff should have played better and is the problem. He didn't blame the OL. He didn't call out individual lineman like he did with Goff. That should tell you a lot. McVay knows more about offensive football then everyone on this forum combined.

PFF rank #3 (dont necessarily agree but take it for what its worth) --- https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings

Undroppables rank #11-- https://www.theundroppables.com/rankings/offensive-line/

Lot of words for evading the question, not to mention failing to give a satisfactory answer.

Let's do this again, and don't both responding if you can't come up with answers:

1) of the 13 other teams that made the playoffs, which ones had an OL that was less than or equal to ours?
2) of the 7 other teams that played in the divisional round, which ones had an OL that was less than or equal to ours?
3) of the four teams that played for a conference championship, whose OL was less than or equal to ours?

I'll give my own answers:

1) Seattle, and perhaps Chicago had OLs that were *maybe* less than or equal to ours. So at best, the Rams OL ranked 12th out of 14 teams that made the playoffs. And still, the Rams advanced to the divisional round.
2) Of the 7 other teams that played in the conference finals, all of them had an OL better than ours. Blythe wouldn't have been a starter on any of them, and on some, only Whit would have stood a chance.
3) The Rams OL isn't even close to any of those of the teams that made the final four.

MachS

Hall of Fame

First McVay two days in a row declining to commit to Goff.. Now Snead is doing it in his next media session. Holy shit. The writing is on the wall IMO. No way Goff doesn't take this as disrespect and a lack of faith. How could he not??

Snead has always done a great job with trades so I trust him, but I hope we find the best deal possible.

Now go get Watson dammit!!

MachS

Hall of Fame
Lot of words for evading the question, not to mention failing to give a satisfactory answer.

Let's do this again, and don't both responding if you can't come up with answers:

1) of the 13 other teams that made the playoffs, which ones had an OL that was less than or equal to ours?
2) of the 7 other teams that played in the divisional round, which ones had an OL that was less than or equal to ours?
3) of the four teams that played for a conference championship, whose OL was less than or equal to ours?

I'll give my own answers:

1) Seattle, and perhaps Chicago had OLs that were *maybe* less than or equal to ours. So at best, the Rams OL ranked 12th out of 14 teams that made the playoffs. And still, the Rams advanced to the divisional round.
2) Of the 7 other teams that played in the conference finals, all of them had an OL better than ours. Blythe wouldn't have been a starter on any of them, and on some, only Whit would have stood a chance.
3) The Rams OL isn't even close to any of those of the teams that made the final four.

Whatever your personal feelings are on the OL.. it doesn't change McVay's feelings on Goff. And that should be the focus, it's all that matters right now. Our coach initially, and now our GM publicly not committing to Goff next year.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the OL. Like I said IMO it's league average at worst.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Price also goes up for us after then because we've paid his roster bonus while what we get goes down if somebody else has to pay it.
My understanding is if we trade him prior to June it costs us a net $10M in cap. But if we wait until June we get cap relief (not sure how much). So maybe I've got a bad set of variables but that's why I think they hold the trade for June.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My understanding is if we trade him prior to June it costs us a net $10M in cap. But if we wait until June we get cap relief (not sure how much). So maybe I've got a bad set of variables but that's why I think they hold the trade for June.

If we trade him before June 1, we save $12.425 million in cap space in 2021. If we trade him after, we save $27.825 million in cap space in 2021 (but the rest of the dead money goes into 2022).

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Whatever your personal feelings are on the OL.. it doesn't change McVay's feelings on Goff. And that should be the focus, it's all that matters right now. Our coach initially, and now our GM publicly not committing to Goff next year.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the OL. Like I said IMO it's league average at worst.

Never said it did change McVay's feelings. But McVay is a human being too, just as capable of making mistakes, and he's made his share over the last two seasons with some head scratching personnel decisions and some baffling playcalling and game management decisions. He's good but he ain't perfect, and if he thinks he can toss his QB to the curb and roll with the OL as its presently constituted, then he's making a big mistake. If he thinks QB is the only thing holding this offense back, again, he's making a big mistake.

As far as your final comment, all of the teams other than the Rams that made the final eight had OLs that were well above league average. If I could have done a wholesale swap of their line for ours, I'd have done it in a heartbeat. And the two teams going to the Super Bowl? Both have OLs that are significantly better than what we have.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If we trade him before June 1, we save $12.425 million in cap space in 2021. If we trade him after, we save $27.825 million in cap space in 2021 (but the rest of the dead money goes into 2022).

The other catch is that if it's a post June 1st trade (even if agreed to in principle before then) the team that gets him can't have him in for OTAs until then.

MachS

Hall of Fame

If the Rams trade Jared Goff before June 1st--The Rams will incur a $22 million dollar hit in their dead cap in 2021, another $15 million in 2022, and finally $8 million in 2023. That will generate a salary cap savings of $12 million in 2021, $17 million in 2022, $23.5 million in 2023, and finally $26 million in 2024.

If the Rams trade Jared Goff after June 1st-- the team will incur $6.8 million in dead money in 2021 through 2023, ending with a measly $1.8 million salary-cap hit in 2024. Of course, the cap savings of trading Goff with a post-June 1st designation starts at $27.8 million in 2021, $25.8 million in 2022, $25 million in 2023, and ends at a savings of $26 million in 2024.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That makes sense. Snead’s comment about “anything is possible in a salary-capped league” could be his way of signaling to potential suitors, “hey trading Goff isn’t as unworkable as you think. We have options, so don’t come at us with crap deals.”
Exactly. And to teams with cap that think they're the only possible suitor,. " For all you know, our phones are ringing non-stop from cap savvy GM's"

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I'm not saying I believe the media heads, but if Goff is indeed butt hurt about not starting against Seahawks he needs to get over it. He was clearly not ready to play that game, and we probably lose if he starts. He played well against Greenbay, but his throwing was way off against the Seahawks.

But like I said, I don't believe that Goff is that mad about not starting that game. Maybe if Wolford shit the bed, but Goff was the worse QB that game.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams trade Jared Goff before June 1st--The Rams will incur a $22 million dollar hit in their dead cap in 2021, another $15 million in 2022, and finally $8 million in 2023. That will generate a salary cap savings of $12 million in 2021, $17 million in 2022, $23.5 million in 2023, and finally $26 million in 2024.
Think this is where I got a net $10M in cost. $22M hit with $12M savings.