The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Again I disagree. I think Goff tried to complete it since it was 4th and 2. It was just a terrible throw from what I saw. Reynolds was open and would have caught it if it was a yard to the right.

However, I do agree that Verrett made an unreal play to catch the ball. He should not have been in that spot.

I have a feeling neither one of us is going to budge on this so I will agree that you have a point but I believe my point is right so....

Agree to disagree
Is what it is. The shame of all of this is that Kupp had totally dropped a TD on 3rd down. They had 2nd and goal from the 1, and couldnt get 6. Watching this play over again, I dont see where Reynolds is open, and why Woods and Reynolds were so close to each other. Awful play by the O, great play by the D, but if Kupp catches the ball or they can just run it in from the 1, this isnt even a discussion.
7:33 mark-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7T2rAJRWE&feature=onebox

Tano

Legend
Is what it is. The shame of all of this is that Kupp had totally dropped a TD on 3rd down. They had 2nd and goal from the 1, and couldnt get 6. Watching this play over again, I dont see where Reynolds is open, and why Woods and Reynolds were so close to each other. Awful play by the O, great play by the D, but if Kupp catches the ball or they can just run it in from the 1, this isnt even a discussion.
7:33 mark-
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj7T2rAJRWE&feature=onebox

That looks open enough for Goff to complete. Seen him make that type of pass many a time.

Reynold's tried jumping to his left for it. I agree - halfhearted attempt but I don't think Reynolds needs to jump for it if Goff throws it a yard to the right. Maybe the defender behind Reynolds would have knocked it away but if Goff throws it lower and to the right - I think that is a TD.

But yeah - what was Woods doing in the vicinity.

Reynolds would have been wide open if Woods stayed at the Goal Line.

1611674975163.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reynold's tried jumping to his left for it. I agree - halfhearted attempt but I don't think Reynolds needs to jump for it if Goff throws it a yard to the right. Maybe the defender behind Reynolds would have knocked it away but if Goff throws it lower and to the right - I think that is a TD.
Screen grabs dont show the play, Reynolds on his break had a LB between he and 16 so the ball had to be floated and 11 is too shallow. There was a tight window where Goff could have had Reynolds for 6 earlier, that was the miss there IMO. With Woods not keeping Verett off, I dont see any pass that could have been completed there. If Goff made a mistake there I believe he should have sold that he was looking at Woods, even a fake pump. Had a clean pocket for a change. Alas, to the original point, that's a 4th down play, shouldnt have even come to that.
And if the D could have given them the ball back down 8, I think they could have made it a nail biter for San Fran

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All I know is, watching Brady enjoy good protection really underscores how much they need to shore up the line and protection schemes. We all know how good Goff can be when he has good protection. Unfortunately we all know how bad he can be when its not good.

Tano

Legend
Screen grabs dont show the play, Reynolds on his break had a LB between he and 16 so the ball had to be floated and 11 is too shallow. There was a tight window where Goff could have had Reynolds for 6 earlier, that was the miss there IMO. With Woods not keeping Verett off, I dont see any pass that could have been completed there. If Goff made a mistake there I believe he should have sold that he was looking at Woods, even a fake pump. Had a clean pocket for a change. Alas, to the original point, that's a 4th down play, shouldnt have even come to that.
And if the D could have given them the ball back down 8, I think they could have made it a nail biter for San Fran
Oh it had to have been a great to perfect pass to get it completed, but my point for that game that Goff was not throwing great to perfect passes all game. He was at best throwing below average to decent passes that game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh it had to have been a great to perfect pass to get it completed, but my point for that game that Goff was not throwing great to perfect passes all game. He was at best throwing below average to decent passes that game.
Made some great passes in that game that werent caught too. Go to the 9:35 mark, we all ask, what happened to the deep ball? Here's one

Tano

Legend
Made some great passes in that game that werent caught too. Go to the 9:35 mark, we all ask, what happened to the deep ball? Here's one
That was probably his best pass of the day other than the one to Kupp that he dropped.

But the majority of his passes the rest of the game just seemed off that game especially in the first half.

I need to re-watch that game though.

I remember his first half being terrible and getting better in the second half.

You know - a trend in my posts are consistently stating that Goff was terrible in the first half in a lot of games especially in the games we lost and always started to get better in the second half but couldn't quite make a comeback.

Is Goff not preparing correctly before the game and starts to loosen up by the second half. I just don't know why Goff was consistently like that this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know - a trend in my posts are consistently stating that Goff was terrible in the first half in a lot of games especially in the games we lost and always started to get better in the second half but couldn't quite make a comeback.

Is Goff not preparing correctly before the game and starts to loosen up by the second half. I just don't know why Goff was consistently like that this year.
Well, that was the trend in 2020 for sure. And the slow start was on both sides of the ball. The defense had their 1st half struggles also and were unstoppable in the 2nd half of games.
As to the why for Goff? Well, that's why we've got over 1,000 posts and running here. To my eye, Goff is at his best when they run up-tempo offense. More shotgun, more moving pocket, attack mode. So I'm not sure why the need for the slow it down, run the clock, take snaps from center with basically 7 step drop after play action which nobody is fooled by any more...
The oline just isnt physical. Good, bad or otherwise, they arent going to blow people off the ball, particularly the interior. They're at their best using motion vs power, and with an RB who has great vision, some holes are their for the taking. But my lord is that line easy to blow thru with an inside bull rush. So if I had to choose between McVay and Goff, I'm sticking with McVay every time, however his offensive scheme and play calling leaves me quite perplexed. When they (Goff in particular) look bad, it just seems like they are playing in to the strength of the D.
So for me its easy, I'm an admitted Goff homer, and think the up-tempo high octane fits the personnel much better than the more WCO ball control offense Mac has seemingly chosen to run

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Psycho_X

Legend
Wow, I'll give it to Snead... he makes the offseason as interesting as it can be at least. Will have to wait and see what magic trades he can pull out of his ass this year for better or worse.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd have thought by now that Rams fans would realize how McVay and Snead like to play the media.
How quickly we forget how they dodged all the Gurley questions about the knee, and health in general
It's totally possible they are being 100% transparent here and Goff has a lot to prove, but they also could be totally f$%ing with everyone and laughing at the idea that they are moving on
Neither would surprise me, in fact I think I'd be more surprised that they are being transparent

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd have thought by now that Rams fans would realize how McVay and Snead like to play the media.
How quickly we forget how they dodged all the Gurley questions about the knee, and health in general
It's totally possible they are being 100% transparent here and Goff has a lot to prove, but they also could be totally f$%ing with everyone and laughing at the idea that they are moving on
Neither would surprise me, in fact I think I'd be more surprised that they are being transparent
They've been transparent about contracts though. In fact. Here's Mcvay when asked about jared getting an extension last off-season:

"Whether it ends up happening this year or next year, there is a zero pct. chance this guy's not gonna get an extension he's worthy of."

That's a far cry from what we're hearing now

Bearrister

Rookie
The fact that they're openly talking like this is so weird man

Totally agree. As I and others have said, the FO being this public about Goff is really odd. Isn’t this something you’d work out behind the scenes? If you can’t work something out for a new QB, it’s going to be almost impossible to unring the bell to Goff.

It’s not like this FO to be this “sloppy.” I’ll go ahead and call my shot now - I expect the Rams to move on from Goff this off-season. The only way the FO is this public is if they genuinely believe they have something lined up. Otherwise it just doesn’t make any sense.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
The fact that they're openly talking like this is so weird man

Ya something is definitely in the works. I can’t think of any other reason that they would let this story run like this. Wouldn’t put anything past this front office so this is going to be a crazy offseason lol

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally agree. As I and others have said, the FO being this public about Goff is really odd. Isn’t this something you’d work out behind the scenes? If you can’t work something out for a new QB, it’s going to be almost impossible to unring the bell to Goff.

It’s not like this FO to be this “sloppy.” I’ll go ahead and call my shot now - I expect the Rams to move on from Goff this off-season. The only way the FO is this public is if they genuinely believe they have something lined up. Otherwise it just doesn’t make any sense.
My opinion is that Goff and Mcvay agreed to part ways somewhere before Goff talked to silver. I think Goff was trying to clear his name for suitors. Speculation but it adds up.