The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It doesn't mean it wasn't stupid to put that much dead cap space on this year and next year. It also doesn't mean giving out those contracts wasn't stupid as well. If McVay and Snead are in any way responsible for the Cooks and Goff contracts then advocate the year after signing players to those contracts they need to be far away from contracts in the future. We have a disturbing run of big money contracts then getting rid of the players. In a way it's worse than the stupidity that the Saints and Eagles are doing with their cap.
I fully agree. I liked the gurley contract. But I didn't know if cooks was that kinda number one. Worked out for one year. The Goff contract was a weird one. They had an extra year. If they weren't sure who he was then it was STUPID to sign him anyway.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Goff, but I also understand you cant expect to have the #1 offensive line year in and year out, and Goff is a guy who needs that at all times it seems.
Doesn't have to be #1 it should though be competent. We have issues and he doesn't always help those issues out.

Shuie3225

Starter
Fair enough but i think mcvay had a major say. And if he backs off that is a major miscalculation

This is a fair point of view I think. But I look at it a little differently.. For the sake of argument lets assume McVay has already decided he wants to move on from Goff after this year. Okay yes the decision to give him the contract is bad in hindsight. We will hurt our cap big time with all the dead money. But is it better to just sit idle and ride out Goff for another 2+ years, if you don't think he's the guy now? Isn't it better to be proactive and aggressive and try to trade for Watson, or draft a rookie, etc.. However he wants to go about it?

I don't subscribe to the "oh well we already gave him the contract so now we're stuck, and there's nothing we can do" point of view. Yes it may be hard, yes it may hurt our cap, yes McVay and Snead might take a lot of media heat... but the QB is the single most important position in all of professional sports. And if McVay doesn't think Goff can get it done anymore, than moving on now is the best option I think. Why waste another 2+ years of Donald's career, or Staley's scheme, etc. etc

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It could be that I'm half deaf but I don't hear the for now in McVay's presser and a few others I've asked also said they don't hear it. It is what it is though and honestly without this we were in for a long off season. I don't think it's smart cap management to move on from him unless you can get a replacement for him and I don't think anybody should be ok with trading AD like I've seen some idiots suggest in order to get Watson. Either way I'm not looking forward to this offseason. I made the comment a while back that I thought Jared would be our guy in 2021 but that was a prove it year and he had to remove doubts or he was gone after next year. It's still a cap hit but if he can't prove to be the guy we can't keep this show up.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Kind of unprofessional given the last two performances Goff put in with a broken thumb and no pass protection. Goff was great tonight.

I'm not sure Goff is the answer long term, but he is a starting calibre QB. And he should be that for many years to come given his age and style as a pocket passer. Team can go 10+ years looking for a legitimate starter. We don't have much draft capital, won't pick high enough in the foreseeable future to get a franchise guy, and great QBs are rarely if ever available via trade or free agency. Be careful what you wish for.

Cap wise, we likely can't move off Goff until the year after next anyway. Build the o-line. Goff needs it as a pocket passer. If we later move on, then a great o-line still sets up the next guy nicely. The game is won and lost in the trenches.

I think McVay is a good, not great, coach who has a real arrogance problem. Maybe I am wrong. But I think he's too arrogant to look in the mirror and thinks Goff is the only reason his offense was ineffective all year. Boy, is he in for a rude awakening...

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would imagine that the quarterback question is the last thing on McVay's mind after watching his number one defense drop a big turd on Lambeau field.
They've got issues but they held up all year. And despite how bad the defense played the offense still put up only 18 pts. Remember that in 2018 we were a team that could outlast opponents.

matt30

Rookie
Name
Matt
I like Goff, but I also understand you cant expect to have the #1 offensive line year in and year out, and Goff is a guy who needs that at all times it seems.

If they move on from Goff, I hope they have a long-term plan.

Budget Russell Wilson with a worse line is not something I want to see.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It could be that I'm half deaf but I don't hear the for now in McVay's presser and a few others I've asked also said they don't hear it. It is what it is though and honestly without this we were in for a long off season. I don't think it's smart cap management to move on from him unless you can get a replacement for him and I don't think anybody should be ok with trading AD like I've seen some idiots suggest in order to get Watson. Either way I'm not looking forward to this offseason. I made the comment a while back that I thought Jared would be our guy in 2021 but that was a prove it year and he had to remove doubts or he was gone after next year. It's still a cap hit but if he can't prove to be the guy we can't keep this show up.
No you're right. I think the audio that we have cuts out. Only the people on the zoom call can hear it.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Meh. I need to see the whole conversation and not just a cut off sound byte.
They’ve been shit kicking Goff all season, so I don’t see why they stop now.

I was watching the post game comments. I heard the question and answer.

I dunno what’s in McVays head or heart. That said, his answer and the tone I’ve NEVER heard from McVay before.

As I said before, it could just be the despair of losing, but it felt deeper than that... and the universal reaction from the beat writers was shock. McVay had two questions left and the room went silent. No one asked anymore questions and McVay left quickly.

This isn’t some Twitter over reaction. I’d be right there with ya if I thought it was.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
They've got issues but they held up all year. And despite how bad the defense played the offense still put up only 18 pts. Remember that in 2018 we were a team that could outlast opponents.

Yes, the real issue with this team is the O line. It needs to be improved so that Goff can stand back and wait for receivers to get open like Rogers did today. That said I think that if the defense had played like they have been recently, our running game would have at least kept us in this game and would have given us a chance to win.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Goff is a QB that needs the poroper parts around him in weapons to take some pressure off him, A strong pass protecting Oline and a diverse offense with gameplans suited to his skill set.

With the above he is capable of winning any game. Most good QB's are this way.

Only the great QB'S which IMO there are 5- 10 in the league right now can take games over on their own merits consistently
The top of the league QB talent is very good right now but some of them are long in the tooth and close to on their way out.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
You gave up on Ewe's boy?!?! SONOFA
44Pip7X.gif
Don’t listen to him @Ewe83 :hiding:

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay is seriously thinking about moving on from Goff , I sure as hell wouldn't announce it . Teams will figure you're desperate and lessen you're compensation. Of course Mcvay's decision making is highly suspect lately . Like calling his last timeout with 50 seconds having 1st and goal. Total brain fart . Someone needs to call him out for his game management and decision making. Great idea giving Rodgers the ball back before half . Free 3 points and nearly 7 thanks to the genius and the #1 defense.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Is it at all possible dude is emotional after a tough loss and just spoke without thinking how twitter and rod would dissect his every word, inflection, and body language?

Just wondering

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
People are reading way too much into the "....right now..." comment. McVay wasn't exactly thinking about proper English at that time. I am sure he had a lot on his mind. I am sure the "....right now." ending had more to do with his recent performance before today.

Besides...who's better that is available?