The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What are the 2 big complaints about this years offense? OLine and a deep threat. I think Cooks would have helped a lot. The problem becomes though we used that pick for Cam Akers. So could we have got him at 57? Maybe or we could have traded up but that lessens our draft pool.
Yeah, no doubt. My point (that I didnt make clear at all) was in line with you in discussing the flawed "we all thought Cooks was untradable". Point was more that it seemed that the only way Cooks would be traded was in a salary dump, because he was finished and wasnt going to produce. That Snead made Shanola out of shiat. But turned out the 2nd rounder Houston paid was well worth it as he put up his standard 1,200 yard season.
Total opposite of thinking Snead could "work magic" and get a top 5 player for spare parts price

Ellard80

Legend
i think mcvay has higher expectations then what we have seen the last two years.

Yeah im not sure what he said exactly... but his face when he answers that question says alot.

Either way im okay with what he tries to do.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The fact that Goff played well today but this is how McVay answered the question tells you everything you need to know. He cannot be pleased with the entirety of Goff's last 2 years.

I was surprised when I saw Lindsay Thiry tweeting about this. How could Les and McVay not make a run at Watson? He came out today and asked the Texans to trade him.

wait, what? He asked for a trade or just escalated his tweets?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He basically confirmed that he's really pissed off. He said "I was at a 2 and it went 10" in response to schefter talking about his anger at the Texans.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People are reading way too much into the "....right now..." comment. McVay wasn't exactly thinking about proper English at that time. I am sure he had a lot on his mind. I am sure the "....right now." ending had more to do with his recent performance before today.

Besides...who's better that is available?
It doesn't matter what we think though. The reporters on the zoom call are the ones reporting it. They're the ones saying they heard it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well if McVays expectations for his QB play are so high and I'm sure they are... we should probably try to surround him with the tools needed to achieve meeting those expectations. If we want a QB who will create on his own, good luck getting one in the 3rd round.
Woods and Kupp are over achievers.
Our O-line is a bunch of underperforming over achievers too.
Neither unit is special. Neither unit is represented in the pro bowl.

All I know is that Goff played much better when his line and recievers were much better. Go figure, right?

Im glad we have Jalen Ramsey, but we got him at the expense of our offense.

Goff struggled mightily at times this year... and at other times he looked like his old self... early this season when he was starting games going 12-12 passing, everything was roses. Then our line and QB play regressed in a big way.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It sounds like he said "he is the QB, right. If he says now it isn't very clear to me. There is always a lot of fuel thrown on the fire between them. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
The Ram's haven't been very successful at resigning their own players. We ate $30 mil ridding ourselves of Gurley and Cook's salary. If they do the same with Goff, somebody should be looking for a job.
Yeah I think the audio breaks. Rich hammond , who I love listening to on Rams info, said that he did say it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well its funny that a tweet, with a cut off sound byte holds all this weight, but if you hear his press conference he is happy with Goff and there is no indication he wants to move on

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Sounds like Mcvay say " yea hes A qb, right." Seems like he gave them a smart ass response bc hes tired of answering that question.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah regardless of what McVay thinks in private... if McVays response is what the press is spinning it as, this kind of puts a dent in my impression of him as a leader... not a big one... but a ding at least.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Yyyyeeeahhhh I'm gonna bow out of all that. I made my feelings known.

I'm freaking out over the energy some of yall will spend on this topic haha

it’s just conversation and our season is over. We supposed to just hand out hand jobs and rah rah next year?

I really like Goff.

And...it’s a possibility we trade Goff.

That’s pretty much it.

Other than the Bills, I don’t really give a crap about any other teams in the playoffs

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is it at all possible dude is emotional after a tough loss and just spoke without thinking how twitter and rod would dissect his every word, inflection, and body language?

Just wondering
Has he ever done that before?

Also reporters aren't twitter and Mcvay knows now to steer clear of them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that doesn’t tell the whole story.

there are whole articles that detail how a Watson cap hit would work for Houston and how a Goff cap hit would work for the Rams and while not easy are doable.

And Goff’s dead money cap hit wouldn’t be $65M

I don't think we have the ammunition to land Watson, but cap space won't stop it from happening.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well its funny that a tweet, with a cut off sound byte holds all this weight, but if you hear his press conference he is happy with Goff and there is no indication he wants to move on
What did he say about Goff?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that doesn’t tell the whole story.

there are whole articles that detail how a Watson cap hit would work for Houston and how a Goff cap hit would work for the Rams and while not easy are doable.

And Goff’s dead money cap hit wouldn’t be $65M
That's for if he's cut.

Rams77

Starter
I still think the offense and Goff was/were at its best in an uptempo-hurry up with fly sweeps, motion, quick passing, play action etc...For some odd reason we go away from whats working and decide to slow shit down and become a plodding offense. Goff is a rhythm passer and you saw it tonight. It gives the defense less time to get organized and tires them out big time. Our offensive line is on the smaller side but the advantage is they should be more conditioned. I guess what McVay saw in the SB and early 2019 freaked him out and he decided that he should run a more traditional offense. But thats NOT GOFF! Thats not what this personnel is! McVay needs to look in the mirror and let his QB play to his strengths. Shore up the OLine and stay healthy and I think we’re still a top 5 team

Shuie3225

Starter

He basically confirmed that he's really pissed off. He said "I was at a 2 and it went 10" in response to schefter talking about his anger at the Texans.

Yea that was Watson's cryptic tweet from yesterday 1/15.

But today there was a new report from Sports Illustrated that Watson "just wants out" of Houston. So things are escalating.

1610858343645.png

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

He has a no trade clause and would need to approve any trade destination. Miami has already been mentioned, but I dont think he goes to the Jets or the Jags with how bad those franchises are. San Fran would be a legit possibility though and all the more reason we should be aggressive if McVay decides to go this route.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Has he ever done that before?

Also reporters aren't twitter and Mcvay knows now to steer clear of them.
No he hasn’t, that’s a fair point.
I just think we might be reading a whole lot of something into a whole lot of nothing. I’m known to be wrong occasionally though and if McVay did speak those words with intention than he chose a poor time to do it. JG has not turned the ball over in two playoff games, showed ridiculous toughness with screws in his broken thumb, and played a decent game today. It seems like the wrong time to say anything poor about JG, not to mention heading into an offseason with his team about to go their separate ways for a time is the wrong time to sow doubt in someone who just battles hard with his brothers for no particularly good reason.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It could be that I'm half deaf but I don't hear the for now in McVay's presser and a few others I've asked also said they don't hear it. It is what it is though and honestly without this we were in for a long off season. I don't think it's smart cap management to move on from him unless you can get a replacement for him and I don't think anybody should be ok with trading AD like I've seen some idiots suggest in order to get Watson. Either way I'm not looking forward to this offseason. I made the comment a while back that I thought Jared would be our guy in 2021 but that was a prove it year and he had to remove doubts or he was gone after next year. It's still a cap hit but if he can't prove to be the guy we can't keep this show up.

I heard it. I was watching live.

Here’s how we know SOMETHING was up.

Rams moderator called out 3 reporters for last questions. The first of those asked the Goff questions. The room went silent. No one asked a question or followed up. There was such a hush that McVay looked a little confused. He looked around. Still no one asked another question. So the mod called it and McVay left.

So, while I may have seen something and there’s plenty of room for speculation... that ENTIRE press group experienced something profoundly enough that they stopped asking questions.

So at the very least, it’s not just folks overreacting to a tweet.