The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bearrister

Rookie
There's gonna be offseason focus on the QB position by the Rams. They could go several different directions but at the very least there will probably be competition brought in at QB. Which I think is the way to go btw.

But either way he played well today. Whether he is what McVay wants going forward, well, that's where we sit and wait to see which of those directions he favors.

Yup, I’m as big of a Goff supporter as they come, but at the very least the Rams have to get another QB in the building who can be a viable alternative if Goff has another Miami Dolphins/49er type game. Perhaps akin to the Raiders bringing in Mariota.

I’d imagine they’ll look for a QB in the 3rd or 4th round too.

Goff was good today and definitely not the reason they lost.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Ellard80

Legend
Oh Jesus Christ

lol... well.... true statment right?

I don't think mcvay likes losing too much... but mcvay takes part of the blame for that of course.

I think he designed this short quick passin offense around goffs strenghts and the set up of our oline - basically he played to our strengths and weaknessess.

in the end however it wasn't good enough.

KayJay

Starter
Goff just needs to understand he can't have another subpar season like this one. He played well enough for us to at least bring in another viable option behind him. So that if he struggles, he can be replaced. If you can grab Watson, you do so. But if you can't I'm not exactly ecstatic to bring in anyone outside of elite QB's to replace him. As a whole, our team was average. But he for sure needs to play better. That being said, I loved him today. And he showed that he can play in this league especially in the post season.

Maybe he should keep the glove.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
lol... well.... true statment right?

I don't think mcvay likes losing too much... but mcvay takes part of the blame for that of course.

I think he designed this short quick passin offense around goffs strenghts and the set up of our oline - basically he played to our strengths and weaknessess.

in the end however it wasn't good enough.

My remark was more about thinking how such a non commitment will be interpreted by people to support their own opinions either way...

If Goff is or isn't McVays guy and there's issues between the two or not, I wish McVay would publicly have his back. Like he did with Gurleys issues.

Im not one who feels like McVay owes us the truth about anything.

JRobinson

MiLB
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's gonna be offseason focus on the QB position by the Rams. They could go several different directions but at the very least there will probably be competition brought in at QB. Which I think is the way to go btw.

But either way he played well today. Whether he is what McVay wants going forward, well, that's where we sit and wait to see which of those directions he favors.

I think this is fair and I’d like to see competition as well. But Goff was solid today.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't think McVay wants solid. That's the thing. In fact I'm bout to buckle up as I think it might be a crazy offseason for us.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
... but ya really couldn’t ask for a better game from him, even with the almost INT. He has a good first month, and a below average rest of the season, but you wanted to see him execute, and he did that. The interior of the OLine, and Mr. Edwards in pass pro... yikes. Sure wouldn’t mind a legit guard in round 2.

At any rate, I know I ruffle feathers and am a challenger, don’t expect that to change. But I love this team, I love this FO, and especially Ram brothers/sisters. Bless all of you folks.

Great season.
Rogers had two almost Ints.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have been down on Goff this year, but he showed me a lot today. Kids got guts. Wish the D had a little today

KayJay

Starter
I don't think McVay wants solid. That's the thing. In fact I'm bout to buckle up as I think it might be a crazy offseason for us.
If you want stellar, you have to give something up to get that type of quarterback play. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Like I said, if you can get Watson without gutting your team, do it. But if you can't, you do what you can to put the current QB in the position to succeed. I'm not interested in Wolford or Bryce Perkins. I want results, and Goff although frustrating at times; has produced winning results.

MachS

Hall of Fame
My remark was more about thinking how such a non commitment will be interpreted by people to support their own opinions either way...

If Goff is or isn't McVays guy and there's issues between the two or not, I wish McVay would publicly have his back. Like he did with Gurleys issues.

Im not one who feels like McVay owes us the truth about anything.

McVay has had Goff's back publicly for years and never once criticized him. Not until this year. The 2nd half of this year is the only time McVay has ever outed him publicly for any mistake or bad play that I can remember.

Again, Goff played well today it was the D that let us down... so I think its very odd the way he answered that question. And it seems like Eric Williams and Rich Hammond, two Rams writers shared the same thoughts. McVay could have easily answered that in a different way.

And Hammond keeps tweeting about it.

View: https://twitter.com/Rich_Hammond/status/1350627331769942018?s=20

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If you want stellar, you have to give something up to get that type of quarterback play. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Like I said, if you can get Watson without gutting your team, do it. But if you can't, you do what you can to put the current QB in the position to succeed. I'm not interested in Wolford or Bryce Perkins. I want results, and Goff although frustrating at times; has produced winning results.
No need to pitch me. I'm of the mind we keep Goff and get him playing well behind a better OL. I wanted OL last offseason in fact.

I am simply observing that McVay might want more at QB. I am not certain of Jared's status as our QB1 at this point basically. He's a bottom third QB this year and this was a team that had a lot of pieces. I love the guy but there's indicators so I'm expecting focus on the position and maybe a move or two. I would add competition and draft a kid who has some raw tools and see if the staff can find a diamond.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The dude just played 2 playoff games on the road with a broken thumb and no turnovers. Threw a couple TD passes. I think McVay is fine with what he’s got at QB

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Honestly I think the problem most of us goff supporters had (I know it’s my biggest annoyance) is that the hardcore goff haters would shit all over him for a bad game .they would crow for days after a loss... and yet when he came out and had a good game they were no where to be seen. Vent threads would run for 20-25 pages because most of it was goff hate and his supporters challenging it .. victory threads 10-15 because those “fans” weren’t around because they couldn’t criticise goff .. it became obvious as fuck they were here to hate on goff no matter what

This is how I feel.
There's not much constructive argument, just the usual "get rid of him"; "trade for or draft another QB".
I've never seen so much hate.

The amount of shit he gets by Rams "fans" on his instagram account leaves me wondering why he doesn't close it.

There's a lot more pieces to the offensive puzzle than meets the eye.
We definitely have our RB. Aker's not Gurley but he's going to be good.
I think Goff doesn't quite have that big personality of a leader, which is why, when Gurley was arguably the best player in the league we also saw the best Goff.
Gurley attracted a lot of attention and that made Goff feel comfortable, almost like Gurley was the unofficial leader and playmaker.
Goff hasn't had this support for two seasons after Gurley's downfall.
The OL wasn't upgraded, but reworked. It hasn't worked.

Goff finished the season strong, and that has to be good for him, the Rams, and the fans.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I know its fandom, but Watson would be sweet. I been a big Goff guy, but he's been off and causing too many turnovers all season. Cant have it. I'm buckling up for this off season