The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Imo no I much rather keep goff. Stafford is intriguing but he hasn't accomplished anything in his long career. Goff has simply accomplished more so far and his career has barely started.

Dude it's totally unfair to say Stafford has accomplished anything when he is on one of the poorest run organisations in all of professional sports. An organisation that had two of their best players ever at their respective positions just quit/retire lol. If we make excuses as to why Goff has regressed the last two seasons on a team that has been better than Staffords and an very well run organisation it's completely unfair to say that about Stafford. If Goff has a lest than perfect environment what has poor Matthews environment been lol.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
If we could bring in Stafford to push Goff, I would love it, always been a fan of his.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lions are actively looking for a trade partner for Stafford. I wonder if the Rams will explore that option.

Stafford has struggled to stay healthy of late and has never won shit in his career. He's a box-score accumulator, a QB that fantasy football owners love. But the numbers are hollow imo.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Well we should ask ourselves how would Goff have faired on those very same Detroit teams? The guy has had no offensive line at times gotten smashed horrible organisation 67 head coaches different systems and never a true running back. It's hard for me to criticize the guy.

All that said Stafford for Goff due to age I'd be nervous. I'd only do that if we had or took an air apparent.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It’s fun to think about and discuss trades but salary cap implications are a real thing; and some of the moves being discussed on this and other threads are just not realistic.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I don't want Stafford here, but i am interested to see what he would be worth in a trade.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Dude it's totally unfair to say Stafford has accomplished anything when he is on one of the poorest run organisations in all of professional sports. An organisation that had two of their best players ever at their respective positions just quit/retire lol. If we make excuses as to why Goff has regressed the last two seasons on a team that has been better than Staffords and an very well run organisation it's completely unfair to say that about Stafford. If Goff has a lest than perfect environment what has poor Matthews environment been lol.
We'll agree to disagree. I don't think it's unfair to judge a player who has a sample size of 10+ years.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It will be interesting to see what the lions get for Stafford. They need to do a total rebuild, so I think it would have to be a couple of good picks or one good pick and an assortment of mid tier picks.
A team that is close but needs a QB would be a good bet.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
We'll agree to disagree. I don't think it's unfair to judge a player who has a sample size of 10+ years.

We are talking Detroit Lions here....nothing I said wasn't true. They are horrible. See Barry Sanders also see Megatron ...I'm not comparing careers what i said is " how do we think Goff would have performed on Detroit since he was drafted" Better than Stafford or no? I'm very interested in hearing what people think. If Goff put up Stafford numbers on this team there probably wouldn't be such a hostile Goff environment.
Stafford can sling it his age is the only concerning thing for me.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
We are talking Detroit Lions here....nothing I said wasn't true. They are horrible. See Barry Sanders also see Megatron ...I'm not comparing careers what i said is " how do we think Goff would have performed on Detroit since he was drafted" Better than Stafford or no? I'm very interested in hearing what people think. If Goff put up Stafford numbers on this team there probably wouldn't be such a hostile Goff environment.
Stafford can sling it his age is the only concerning thing for me.
I dont play what ifs man I think its pointless. I can only go by what has actually happened.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I dont play what ifs man I think its pointless. I can only go by what has actually happened.

Sometimes when evaluating talent it's all about the "what if's" though man....that's what the whole draft is about right? Stafford has put up some great numbers on terrible teams and terribly run teams he has had it all go against him not just a perceived bad offensive line or no deep threat. So we can't compare the two but if Goff were to match Staffords numbers on this rams team or others we would have a trophy or two.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We are talking Detroit Lions here....nothing I said wasn't true. They are horrible. See Barry Sanders also see Megatron

The Rams were no better than the Lions when we got our QB.
If you're going to play the trading places game with Goff on those Lions teams, does he also get to start his career throwing to Megatron?
If so, I imagine Goff would have put up gaudy numbers early on too.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
If you're going to play the trading places game with Goff on those Lions teams, does he also get to start his career throwing to Megatron?

Disagree entirely...when Stafford was running around avoiding sacks to get the ball to Megatron it wouldn't of worked for Goff and Goff had gurley a beast at the time so argument to be made both ways. The lions haven't stopped being shit though that's the thing. Goff had a half of season in the outhouse then went to the penthouse. Yes he played well but the organisation made changes great changes and fave give stability weapons a line etc.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Stafford through his age-26 season
77 games
35-42 record
1848/3099
59.6%
21,714 passing yards
7.0 YPA
131 passing TDs
4.2% TD%
85 Ints
2.7% Int%
83.6 Passer Rating
1 Pro Bowl Appearance
2 Playoff Appearances (0-2 record)

Jared Goff through his age-26 season
69 games
42-27 record
1536/2421
63.4%
18,171 passing yards
7.5 YPA
107 passing TDs
4.4% TD%
55 Ints
2.3% Int%
91.5 Passer Rating
2 Pro Bowl Apperances
3 Playoff Appearances (3-3 record)

Matt Stafford from his age-27 season forward
88 games
39-48-1 record
2050/3125
65.6%
23,395 passing yards
7.5 YPA
151 passing TDs
4.8% TD%
59 Ints
1.9% Int%
96.2 Passer Rating
0 Pro Bowl Appearances
1 Playoff Appearance (0-1 record)

Young Goff has been a much better QB than young Stafford. Look at the jump Stafford made once he hit his prime. I don't know why so many people are unwilling to wait and see what Goff is capable of doing once he hits his prime.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
The game is slightly different now passing wise to compared first seasons and again all to convenient to put stats up but do not tell the full story.....Goff outhouse to penthouse= better stats and not by a huge margin either .... Stafford outhouse to outhouse. Got to tell the full story. Need to be objective. Sorry

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
As I stated before, would love for Stafford to push Goff, not necessily swap without a preseason battle.

Being this is a trade only, it's a bit out of our range for cap. I could see Indy making a push for him, think it would be a good fit, he's got fire and still has a live arm.

jacktheripper85

Starter
As I stated before, would love for Stafford to push Goff, not necessily swap without a preseason battle.

Being this is a trade only, it's a bit out of our range for cap. I could see Indy making a push for him, think it would be a good fit, he's got fire and still has a live arm.

At this stage of his career Stafford isn’t going anywhere to sit on the bench. He’s going somewhere where he is going to start.

Bearrister

Rookie
At this stage of his career Stafford isn’t going anywhere to sit on the bench. He’s going somewhere where he is going to start.

Yup no question, say what one will about Stafford, at the very least he’s an NFL starter. As I said in my earlier post, if Stafford comes here it’s not to be QB competition for Goff (the most realistic scenario for the Rams this offseason). Stafford only comes here if Goff is gone - and I’m sure salary cap-wise that’s the only way it would work.

Bearrister

Rookie
Another angle I just thought about regarding Stafford. If I understand Goff’s contract correctly, we take a salary cap hit of $22.5 million if we trade Goff - still a 12.5 million savings from paying him his full amount. But we’d also have to pay Stafford, whose owed $20 million. This is likely an overly-simplistic read of the salary cap situation, but in essence that means about $42 million of our 2021 salary cap space would be for the QB position (Stafford plus Goff’s dead money).

If this is correct, is Stafford enough of an upgrade to take the additional salary cap hit? I say no - I’m still in the camp that Goff can turn things around in the right scenario. Someone like Watson is worth it, but not Stafford.