The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
We're going to give up something of value to get rid of a two-time Pro Bowl QB who has led us to over 40 wins and a Super Bowl appearance over the past four years? C'mon.

the GM of which team would trade for him and his contract right now?

Who is going to give up value for him?

TexasRam

Legend
I don’t think it’s a pissing contest-I just replied to a comment about Brady. Both are obviously all time greats. One guy just played better come playoff time.

As for your Tampa comments I agree with some of your points however the great young high draft pick with all those weapons around him couldn’t sniff the playoffs while a 43 year old man stepped in and in his first year is a game away from the Super Bowl.

And as for all that talent, Brown wasn’t signed till later in the year, Gronk is an old man dragged from retirement and Evans and Godwin missed games or played hurt during the year.
It should go without saying that Brady was blessed with a top Defense for many if not nearly all those years. Or a cheating coach that made a top defense every year, however you want to look at it.

I'm not in the camp that would certify Brady as the best ever. He is a very accurate smart thrower with a top ability to raise his game when the game is on the line. But his Tampa success is highly related to the wideouts. He has 3 top WR's of which at least two and maybe all three will be Hall of famers. This is the first time Brady has thrown 40 TD's since 2007 and only the second time in his career, the time he had Randy Moss. While they have been in and out of the lineup and injured, they got healthy at the right time and Brown settled into the office in those last 4 games when Brady started playing lights out vs some bad defenses. Fortunately for them they are peaking at the right time with these WR's mostly healthy and Brown learning the offense.

One thing I will give Brady credit for, pushing for Brown. He believed in giving the guy another chance and despite what you think of Brown, this may give Brady another ring which furthers Bradys legacy for those that don't take a deep dive into the reasons behind his success.

Ellard80

Legend
Not taking away from their D but part of the reason is that’s what happens when your QB doesn’t turn the ball over like 4 times a game.

well Brady was having turn over issues for 3/4th of the year.... the last 4 games or so when they got hot - one of the reasons was he stopped turning it over....

We had 13 total turnovers.... goff had 17...

brady was average... maybe slightly above average in turnovers this year... the reason brady had a good year was that he had 40 td passes.. and 4700 yards.

He wasn't spectactular when it game to turnovers...

JRobinson

MiLB
well Brady was having turn over issues for 3/4th of the year.... the last 4 games or so when they got hot - one of the reasons was he stopped turning it over....

We had 13 total turnovers.... goff had 17...

brady was average... maybe slightly above average in turnovers this year... the reason brady had a good year was that he had 40 td passes.. and 4700 yards.

He wasn't spectactular when it game to turnovers...

But dude.... 40 TDs is a ton. I’ll take those picks if he’s gonna throw that many TDs and score. Especially when you have a defense.

Ellard80

Legend
I agree that win and losses cant be credited to anyone one player but that's the thing. When the rams lose who's the single player who gets call out every single time without fail fair or not? Its Goff. Those same people say that "quarterbacks are suppose to elevate those around them" my question is who did Watson elevate last season on his way to a 4-12 record? I cant remember a "top 5 quarterback" ever having a record like that. Seeing the Texans go 4-12 leaves me concerned about trading a qb who has never had a losing record no matter what happened around him since 2017 for watson.

The QB as a singular player ... does have the biggest effect on the wins/losses of the game. It's the only player that touches the ball every play on offense. However its of course just one player out of 22 on the field - so its not like basketball.

As for Watson - the Texans had a had one of the top 5 shitty defenses - like 28th in scoring... they also had the 31st ranked rushing attack.

Their teams sucked... all they had was watson and some fast recievers.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm about done in here this thread is getting kind of silly and it's gonna be a looooooooooonnnnggg off season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the GM of which team would trade for him and his contract right now?

Who is going to give up value for him?

I don't know. GMs don't call me to tell me their thoughts. When Wentz was expected to be on the block, he was going to have a market. If Wentz was going to have a market, Goff would have a market. But at the end of the day, why would we give up a starting QB for crap value? We're winning with Goff. Paying another team to take him would be a fantastic addition to this franchise's long history of stupid decisions.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I don't know. GMs don't call me to tell me their thoughts. When Wentz was expected to be on the block, he was going to have a market. If Wentz was going to have a market, Goff would have a market. But at the end of the day, why would we give up a starting QB for crap value? We're winning with Goff. Paying another team to take him would be a fantastic addition to this franchise's long history of stupid decisions.

maybe. I’m pretty soured and there is a good chance I’m over reacting. He just has such poor pocket presence and doesn’t take care of the ball - I get the sense that McV wants to move on. So why get rid of him? The cap space. Simple as that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
maybe. I’m pretty soured and there is a good chance I’m over reacting. He just has such poor pocket presence and doesn’t take care of the ball - I get the sense that McV wants to move on. So why get rid of him? The cap space. Simple as that.

$12 million in cap space ain't shit. We have a two-time Pro Bowl QB who helped us make the Super Bowl two years ago, has had us in the playoffs in three of the past four years, and hasn't led us to a losing record in any season under McVay. Jettisoning that dude before he has even reached the window for pocket passers to enter their prime is a questionable decision. Paying another franchise to take that dude is downright lunacy.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Would have, could have, should have but didn’t-and they had much better offensive talent around them than Brady ever had. Rodgers has never adapted to the talent around him-everyone else has to adapt to his style of play-including his coaches. That’s why he’s only been to one Super Bowl.
Manning was a great regular season QB and I’m a huge fan of his but bottom line is he never carried his teams come playoff time.

Brady goes to a new team this year, totally new players and no training camp. Has no RB, an ancient TE, WRs who are either injured half the time or are head cases and he’s one game away from the Super Bowl. In his last 6 games he has 16 TDs and 1 Int. So the more important the games the better he got-that’s why he’s better than Manning.

And please stop replying to me because I have to throw up every time I defend the guy. Lol
Brady might have the best group of skill players outside of Kansas City.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
The QB as a singular player ... does have the biggest effect on the wins/losses of the game. It's the only player that touches the ball every play on offense. However its of course just one player out of 22 on the field - so its not like basketball.

As for Watson - the Texans had a had one of the top 5 shitty defenses - like 28th in scoring... they also had the 31st ranked rushing attack.

Their teams sucked... all they had was watson and some fast recievers.
That doesn't excuse 4-12. Teams that finish with that record are usually looking for a new quarterback in the offseason. Plenty of quarterbacks have been in a similar situation and still managed to pull of a better record than that. My question still hasnt been answered. Why wasn't he able to elevate his team to more win than just 4 wins? Isnt that what top 5 quarterbacks are suppose to do? If he cant do that then why would the rams pay 3 1st rounds picks and more for him when they already have a qb that has never had a losing season?
Sorry but I'm not gonna overlook going 4-12 when he started all the games. That's a huge concern for me.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
$12 million in cap space ain't shit. We have a two-time Pro Bowl QB who helped us make the Super Bowl two years ago, has had us in the playoffs in three of the past four years, and hasn't led us to a losing record in any season under McVay. Jettisoning that dude before he has even reached the window for pocket passers to enter their prime is a questionable decision. Paying another franchise to take that dude is downright lunacy.

you believe in him a lot more than I do. Time will tell. I guess I hope you are right - I want him to be good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
you believe in him a lot more than I do. Time will tell. I guess I hope you are right - I want him to be good.

42-20 in the regular season and 3-3 in the playoffs over the past four years as a young QB. Fuck yes, I believe in him as our QB. If he goes out and shits the bed next year, he'll lose my faith. But right now, he's still my guy. I'd prepare for the worst, but I'm not in favor of this team moving on right now. The only exception to that statement is if we can find somebody truly better who is also relatively young (i.e., Watson).

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The QB as a singular player ... does have the biggest effect on the wins/losses of the game. It's the only player that touches the ball every play on offense.
Every center in the NFL:
1611234773509.jpeg

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would have, could have, should have but didn’t-and they had much better offensive talent around them than Brady ever had. Rodgers has never adapted to the talent around him-everyone else has to adapt to his style of play-including his coaches. That’s why he’s only been to one Super Bowl.
Manning was a great regular season QB and I’m a huge fan of his but bottom line is he never carried his teams come playoff time.

Brady goes to a new team this year, totally new players and no training camp. Has no RB, an ancient TE, WRs who are either injured half the time or are head cases and he’s one game away from the Super Bowl. In his last 6 games he has 16 TDs and 1 Int. So the more important the games the better he got-that’s why he’s better than Manning.

And please stop replying to me because I have to throw up every time I defend the guy. Lol
Brady’s supporting cast is stacked. The rest I could care less about ...carry on

Ellard80

Legend
That doesn't excuse 4-12. Teams that finish with that record are usually looking for a new quarterback in the offseason. Plenty of quarterbacks have been in a similar situation and still managed to pull of a better record than that. My question still hasnt been answered. Why wasn't he able to elevate his team to more win than just 4 wins? Isnt that what top 5 quarterbacks are suppose to do? If he cant do that then why would the rams pay 3 1st rounds picks and more for him when they already have a qb that has never had a losing season?
Sorry but I'm not gonna overlook going 4-12 when he started all the games. That's a huge concern for me.

... no running game and no defense... you can't win football games with 1 out of 4 sides of the ball playing well.

Can't believe you are being serious? Are you trolling and I'm falling for it?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
... no running game and no defense... you can't win football games with 1 out of 4 sides of the ball playing well.

Can't believe you are being serious? Are you trolling and I'm falling for it?
Its exaggeration to make a point I assume. I find some of the responses funny, because there's a contingent here who seemingly give Goff no respect for wins, and blame him for losses. But Watson bears no blame in winning only 4 games.
Again, its exaggeration because I think its pretty clear that Watson is the 3rd best QB in the game right now, awful season aside.
There were 5 games last season that Houston lost where Watson had the ball late with a chance to tie or take lead and none of those were converted.
In theory, the "elite" QB should be able to flip the outcome of at least 1 or 2 of those.
But as we all know, football isnt played on a spreadsheet, outcomes are dependant on so many factors.
Me personally? I would excuse each loss as not on his shoulders, and point to the 21 wins over the previous 2 seasons to show what he can do with a "little" help