The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Overrated? Lol. As a disclaimer to the following I can’t stand Tom Brady and despise the Patriots. Having said that he is absolutely the GOAT-in terms of athletic ability and natural talent-no. But as a winner-not even close.

The guy is 43 yrs old and is playing in his 15 championship game. That’s right-15th. I can’t even fathom that. Easy division? Ok, then explain his record against the NFC (65-20). Plenty of opportunities for teams to knock him out in the playoffs-couldn’t get it done so if anyone wants to complain about the division he played in explain his record outside of the division.

Great coaches-obviously Belechick but outside of him you could argue that Brady made those coaches around him look good based on their track record once they left the Patriots. Josh McDaniel-lol. The guys a clown.

How about the talent around him? For the most part the guys thrown the ball to a bunch of mid round WRs. When he did get a talent like Moss he put up insane numbers and basically obliterated every team he faced. Can’t remember the last time he’s had a big time RB either. The guys adjusted to the talent around him every year-whether it be his TEs, WRs or RBs the guy always knows who to throw the ball to no matter the talent around him. As a side note how about him making his OL look better. He made a lot of his lineman millionaires when they left the Pats and most of them played like shit with their new teams.

Like I said-I can’t stand that smug faced fuck but I respect the work he puts in-not many guys work harder than him to be the best. I wish our QB who has more natural ability would spend half the time Brady puts in trying to win championships.
Just overrated as in not the greatest of all time. Rodgers and Manning would've won 8 in new England lol

Memphis Ram

Legend
That's called double dipping
If Goff plays in 2021, he hits the Cap for 34 mill, if traded, they get hit with a 22 mill cap hit. Add in Minshew's 850k and you are basically paying 23 mill for Minshew to be QB vs Goff.
No thanks

AND realizing a $11,575,000 NET cap savings (Cap savings with Goff deal $12.425,000 - Minshew's $850,000 base).
PLUS getting other compensation AND freeing up $31,660,000 cap space in 2022 (Goff's $32,625,00 - Minshew's $965,00 base). Extra cap space that can be used to bring in more help they way they structure contracts with lower first year salaries and roster bonuses set for the following league year.

Of course the compensation has to be paid, too but if it's draft choices it's still a tremendous cap savings EACH year. Of course, Minshew and the player(s) selected would have to pan out.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Guys, in my mind it has to be one of two things.
Either Goff is a pro bowl QB that just needs a better Oline and we would be crazy to trade him.
Or Goff is a slightly above average QB or worse and in that case who would in their right minds trade for him and his contract?

Either way he is a Ram next year.

A team that doesn't have or believes that they can win with an above average QB. If Sam Bradford and his high contract (at that time) can get traded twice for decent compensation, then so can Goff and his two good knees.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A team that doesn't have or believes that they can win with an above average QB. If Sam Bradford and his high contract (at that time) can get traded twice for decent compensation, then so can Goff and his two good knees.

Plus, teams all have different opinions on QBs. Some might be like me and see Goff as a guy who is still young and can be great. Others might be like the fans in our base who think he's barely starting caliber.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Just overrated as in not the greatest of all time. Rodgers and Manning would've won 8 in new England lol

Would have, could have, should have but didn’t-and they had much better offensive talent around them than Brady ever had. Rodgers has never adapted to the talent around him-everyone else has to adapt to his style of play-including his coaches. That’s why he’s only been to one Super Bowl.
Manning was a great regular season QB and I’m a huge fan of his but bottom line is he never carried his teams come playoff time.

Brady goes to a new team this year, totally new players and no training camp. Has no RB, an ancient TE, WRs who are either injured half the time or are head cases and he’s one game away from the Super Bowl. In his last 6 games he has 16 TDs and 1 Int. So the more important the games the better he got-that’s why he’s better than Manning.

And please stop replying to me because I have to throw up every time I defend the guy. Lol

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
I am all for QB competition. I think Goff needs it which is why they should get this guy.
0425_spo_ldn-l-goff-prank1.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would have, could have, should have but didn’t-and they had much better offensive talent around them than Brady ever had. Rodgers has never adapted to the talent around him-everyone else has to adapt to his style of play-including his coaches. That’s why he’s only been to one Super Bowl.
Manning was a great regular season QB and I’m a huge fan of his but bottom line is he never carried his teams come playoff time.

Brady goes to a new team this year, totally new players and no training camp. Has no RB, an ancient TE, WRs who are either injured half the time or are head cases and he’s one game away from the Super Bowl. In his last 6 games he has 16 TDs and 1 Int. So the more important the games the better he got-that’s why he’s better than Manning.

And please stop replying to me because I have to throw up every time I defend the guy. Lol

I'm not going to get into the Brady-Manning pissing contest, but this is a really bad opinion. Dude has the best group of weapons in the NFL. This is a team that had the #3 scoring offense in the NFL and led the league in passing yards last season with Jameis. Brady has an incredible supporting cast in Tampa and a top 10 defense.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
AND realizing a $11,575,000 NET cap savings (Cap savings with Goff deal $12.425,000 - Minshew's $850,000 base).
PLUS getting other compensation AND freeing up $31,660,000 cap space in 2022 (Goff's $32,625,00 - Minshew's $965,00 base). Extra cap space that can be used to bring in more help they way they structure contracts with lower first year salaries and roster bonuses set for the following league year.

Of course the compensation has to be paid, too but if it's draft choices it's still a tremendous cap savings EACH year. Of course, Minshew and the player(s) selected would have to pan out.
So Jacksonville gets a 35 mill per year backup to Trevor Lawrence and gives the Rams compensation too?
On face value, 22 mill for Minshew vs 34 mill for Goff? No brainer I stick with the SB QB

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to get into the Brady-Manning pissing contest, but this is a really bad opinion. Dude has the best group of weapons in the NFL. This is a team that had the #3 scoring offense in the NFL and led the league in passing yards last season with Jameis. Brady has an incredible supporting cast in Tampa and a top 10 defense.
Its hard to believe but Tampa gave up almost 100 points less than 2019. Thats insane

jacktheripper85

Starter

I don’t think it’s a pissing contest-I just replied to a comment about Brady. Both are obviously all time greats. One guy just played better come playoff time.

As for your Tampa comments I agree with some of your points however the great young high draft pick with all those weapons around him couldn’t sniff the playoffs while a 43 year old man stepped in and in his first year is a game away from the Super Bowl.

And as for all that talent, Brown wasn’t signed till later in the year, Gronk is an old man dragged from retirement and Evans and Godwin missed games or played hurt during the year.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm not against the Rams drafting a QB to develop. Hell, Dak, Wilson, and even Brady were all drafted in the later rounds.
Not that I think that Dak is better than Goff.

I just think that it will be almost impossible to trade Goff unless someone knows he is better than some think. I'd hate to see him go to Indy and then take off and be one of the best in the league like he was in 2018 and we're stuck developing a QB that may never make it at all.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Dead serious. It makes zero sense to credit one player with wins and losses when they play half the snaps in the game. Watson was the perfect example of that - his numbers are fantastic and the offensive production they had was very good.

Not a soul on the planet can logically argue that Mitch Trubisky/Nick Foles were better than Watson, yet the Bears won twice as many games as the Texans.

Wins and losses are what matters most but it's impossible for one player to win a game, which makes it a team stat, not a player stat.
I agree that win and losses cant be credited to anyone one player but that's the thing. When the rams lose who's the single player who gets call out every single time without fail fair or not? Its Goff. Those same people say that "quarterbacks are suppose to elevate those around them" my question is who did Watson elevate last season on his way to a 4-12 record? I cant remember a "top 5 quarterback" ever having a record like that. Seeing the Texans go 4-12 leaves me concerned about trading a qb who has never had a losing record no matter what happened around him since 2017 for watson.

Memphis Ram

Legend
So Jacksonville gets a 35 mill per year backup to Trevor Lawrence and gives the Rams compensation too?
On face value, 22 mill for Minshew vs 34 mill for Goff? No brainer I stick with the SB QB

Looks like you are lost here. Don't think I can make it any more plain. Sorry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t think it’s a pissing contest-I just replied to a comment about Brady. Both are obviously all time greats. One guy just played better come playoff time.

As for your Tampa comments I agree with some of your points however the great young high draft pick with all those weapons around him couldn’t sniff the playoffs while a 43 year old man stepped in and in his first year is a game away from the Super Bowl.

And as for all that talent, Brown wasn’t signed till later in the year, Gronk is an old man dragged from retirement and Evans and Godwin missed games or played hurt during the year.

You're confused as to how Tampa is doing better with a first-ballot HOFer than they did last year with a guy who isn't even a starting QB right now? Seriously? "Old man" Gronk is 31 years old and can still play. He chose to retire. He wasn't forced into retirement.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I don't think that would be the scenario. Assuming Indy likes Goff, I would assume the scenario is trading Goff to Indy (the Colts have a buttload of cap space and need a QB) and then trading for Minshew. (And Minshew would cost a lot less in terms of trade compensation.) I am not for that plan because I am not ready to give up on Goff, but for those who are, it's a reasonable option.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not taking away from their D but part of the reason is that’s what happens when your QB doesn’t turn the ball over like 4 times a game.
Was going to point out that Brady threw 2 pick sixes this season, however when I realized that Jameis threw an unconscionable 7 pick sixes in 2019, I figured I should keep quiet...
Oops, guess that slipped out after all

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think that would be the scenario. Assuming Indy likes Goff, I would assume the scenario is trading Goff to Indy (the Colts have a buttload of cap space and need a QB) and then trading for Minshew. (And Minshew would cost a lot less in terms of trade compensation.) I am not for that plan because I am not ready to give up on Goff, but for those who are, it's a reasonable option.
Didnt realize that was the scenario, its hard to keep up with all of the scenarios.
Ironic though since I suggested a Goff trade to Indy could actually work this morning.....

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am not for that plan because I am not ready to give up on Goff, but for those who are, it's a reasonable option.

It doesn't matter what we want, only what Mcvay and Sneed want.

And judging by his "evaluating" comment Mcvay has already made up his mind.

jacktheripper85

Starter
You're confused as to how Tampa is doing better with a first-ballot HOFer than they did last year with a guy who isn't even a starting QB right now? Seriously? "Old man" Gronk is 31 years old and can still play. He chose to retire. He wasn't forced into retirement.

Not really confused. Maybe you should should read my first post in the conversation with this individual and you’ll see how this whole thing started. Frankly I’m done with the conversation because I’ve had my fill of defending Tom Brady.