The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
If eagles owner who has an amazing relationship with wentz this one of the reasons he fired Pederson along with Pederson not wanting to be pushed into playing wentz thankfully mcvay doesn't have that issue as his owner is amazing and they back one another up the entire regime. My point if wentz stays do the colts with that offensive line and wentz not available have interest in Goff?

Good team very good rushing attack great line and Frank Reich ...a recipe for success. If they did have interest what would you ask for? What do you think they give up? They have money for Goff and to get him more receivers as well.

Could we get a first?

Also outside the box if he had interest and Watson cannot be had the colts again become interesting ....any chance Andrew luck interested in an NFL return or is he to country not la material and very financially secure?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He cant choose the team he wants to play for per se, but he can reject a trade if/when one is proposed.
And if he refuses room enough teams that the team he wants to play for offers significantly less, then Houston doesnt have to accept the trade either.
And my head continues to spin lol

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The biggest thing for the Texans is immediate players in a 2021 high pick and the starter. Any further picks are likely to be later picks because Watson can make a team an instant winner.
I agree. I wonder if there's a young team flush with disposable talent to deal

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Minshew's rating was 95 this year. Not bad. I didn't follow the Jags at all this year so I don't know. But considering how many times they lost, I have to wonder how much his stats were boosted during garbage time when the outcome is no longer in doubt and all the defense wants is to let them run clock while he completes passes? Its a lot easier to complete passes and move down the field with 4 minutes left down 2 scores or more. The defense is giving you underneath stuff so you use the clock.

Gardner Minshew is league average QB that could replace Goff?
10 of his last 18 games, his team has scored 16 points or less
Stuff like this is classic, " Niners - L - but Goff played one of his worst games here, it's likely closer with a league average guy " Closer? Rams lost 24-16
Meanwhile, that was also the game where the defense allowed 3, 75+ yard drives in the first half and allowed San Fran to control 22 minutes of first half clock. Also the game when Goff led 2, 2nd half scoring drives a 3rd drive that couldnt get in from 1 yard line, and then couldnt stop the 49ers from making a 1st down TWICE on the last drive, thus denying a chance to win.
And that was one of Goff's worst games? Good grief
Minshew would not be brought in as a savior or a starter. He is around that range of QB who should be brought in to compete with Jared. Competition for Jared might hurt a few posters' feelings but it's a net win for the Rams IMO.

Watson on the other hand would obviously be a replacement.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's a bit of hindsight though. Yes, injuries happen and money can fuck people up. But on the flip-side, you don't pay a guy early and he goes off and drives his value up, then you are stuck having to give up more money and more cap. You won't necessarily avoid the shit and can end up getting even more of it.

There is risk in waiting on paying guys all the same that there is risk paying them too early. There is no ideal time to drive the stake in the ground unless you have a crystal ball.
I'm not talking hindsight here. I'm saying the Rams' desire to lock up elite players early has bit us over and over now. There is still room for Goff to rebound of course but the trend is clear and it's pissing me off. Here's hoping the Rams quit that shit.

Liberator

Pro Bowler
People saying our play calling is stagnant etc... watch the all 22 is you can or watch other people break it down if you can. The amount of wife open players Goff is just not seeing is shocking. It happens every single game lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Minshew would not be brought in as a savior or a starter. He is around that range of QB who should be brought in to compete with Jared. Competition for Jared might hurt a few posters' feelings but it's a net win for the Rams IMO.

Watson on the other hand would obviously be a replacement.

I'm all for competition. I simply don't agree with the people who want to dump Goff and move forward with replacement-level guys. IMO, they are overestimating McVay's abilities. And I'm a huge McVay guy. But he's not going to win like we have been with backup-caliber QBs.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People saying our play calling is stagnant etc... watch the all 22 is you can or watch other people break it down if you can. The amount of wife open players Goff is just not seeing is shocking. It happens every single game lol.
Easy to say. Would you like to support this statement at all or just "Bro go look"

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, he hasn't, so there's that. Don't box score scout. And putting Dalton in the same tier as Goff is ridiculous.

I watched Minshew some in the past two years and I like him. Not just box score scouting.

Watson was arguably a top 5 QB this year and he went 4-12 which is a dead giveaway that wins and losses should mostly be ignored when evaluating a QB - Minshew played really well this year, even in some losses.

I meant prime Dalton - that's essentially who Goff is these past two years. Was he better the two years prior? Definitely. But two years is a long time in the NFL and I'd rather not rely on him getting back to that form, especially when we likely won't be able to upgrade the offense as much as he will need it to be upgraded.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It doesn't matter how many are open if Goff is laying on his ass in the backfield.
If your watching all22. Check out the Seattle Game at the end of the season. You'll find more defenders standing on our routes, than open receivers. Seattle knew every move we were going to make.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So wait you say we have no cap if we keep Goff it will be as bad or worse if we cut hit or trade him. Add in the cost of a replacement QB and don’t try Minshew or Wolford as a replacement they’re good backups nothing more.

This is true. We're in an awful situation either way you slice it. The most prudent thing to do is to bring Goff back next year and let that be his chance to bounce back.

I was more speaking to how much better I think we would be if we could replace him and his salary with a guy like Minshew and his salary, but that's not possible with the contract right now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is true. We're in an awful situation either way you slice it. The most prudent thing to do is to bring Goff back next year and let that be his chance to bounce back.

I was more speaking to how much better I think we would be if we could replace him and his salary with a guy like Minshew and his salary, but that's not possible with the contract right now.
Even taking out salary Minshew is not a replacement to Goff he’s a backup.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm all for competition. I simply don't agree with the people who want to dump Goff and move forward with replacement-level guys. IMO, they are overestimating McVay's abilities. And I'm a huge McVay guy. But he's not going to win like we have been with backup-caliber QBs.
Fair take. My own is similar actually. I think cap-wise given that we just signed Goff that McVay won't cut bait with him this offseason. And the competition route is just common sense. The best case scenario is Goff rebounds with a huge year and we're all happy.

But... Another area where I'm a bit fringe here is that I think McVay's preference in his QBs may not match Goff's strengths. I am of the mind that McVay wants intelligence, quick processing, and hyper competitiveness in his signal caller. I don't think he needs a super elite type of QB and IMO like with Shanny he's a guy who can win with a bit less at the position.

That is why I like Minshew for competition. I think he's the right fit for McVay based on the above.

And I'd also draft a round 4 range QB prospect. Someone like Ehlinger who is a bigger version of Wolford. He's a project which is fine that's what I think Snead needs to look for.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Watson was arguably a top 5 QB this year and he went 4-12 which is a dead giveaway that wins and losses should mostly be ignored when evaluating a QB -
You cant be serious with this right? W/L is the most important stat in football. If Watson was truly top 5 then his team wouldn't have been 4-12. He would've elevated the team to more than just 4 wins. The only reason brady is considered the goat by many is because of wins.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Fair take. My own is similar actually. I think cap-wise given that we just signed Goff that McVay won't cut bait with him this offseason. And the competition route is just common sense. The best case scenario is Goff rebounds with a huge year and we're all happy.

But... Another area where I'm a bit fringe here is that I think McVay's preference in his QBs may not match Goff's strengths. I am of the mind that McVay wants intelligence, quick processing, and hyper competitiveness in his signal caller. I don't think he needs a super elite type of QB and IMO like with Shanny he's a guy who can win with a bit less at the position.

That is why I like Minshew for competition. I think he's the right fit for McVay based on the above.

And I'd also draft a round 4 range QB prospect. Someone like Ehlinger who is a bigger version of Wolford. He's a project which is fine that's what I think Snead needs to look for.
If mcvay didn't think Goff was the guy then he shouldn't have extended him.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If mcvay didn't think Goff was the guy then he shouldn't have extended him.
I agree with this but we're all human. Sometimes you realize things too late. This is a young HC he's gonna fuck up.

And things might still work out with Goff. It's up to him and whether he can get his head right.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
I agree with this but we're all human. Sometimes you realize things too late. This is a young HC he's gonna fuck up.

And things might still work out with Goff. It's up to him and whether he can get his head right.
If that's the case that's a very huge fuck up and he's had plenty of those in his young career. But his w/l record just makes his mistakes more forgiving.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he is capable of competing with Jared, then he on some level is an equal to Jared. And if he isnt a savior or starter, that says Goff isnt either. Either way, in order to get a potential starter level QB its either going to cost $$ in FA or draft picks in a trade. I dont see why you waste those investments with all the needs they have. If after 4 years Goff is not the guy, then they should move on from him. QB's dont play better if they are looking over their shoulder

MachS

Hall of Fame
You cant be serious with this right? W/L is the most important stat in football. If Watson was truly top 5 then his team wouldn't have been 4-12. He would've elevated the team to more than just 4 wins. The only reason brady is considered the goat by many is because of wins.

Because Goff was better than Watson this year right?? Goff went 10-6 and Watson went 4-12 so that means Goff was better. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

GTFO of here. You're not comparing apples to apples..your arguments are so bad its sad. Put Watson on the Rams this year instead of Goff and how many wins do the Rams have? I guarantee you 100% more than 10 wins.

All this bullshit about Watson cant be that good if his team went 4-12 is the most absurd shit ever. When you say stuff like this people need to seriously question your understanding of football.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Because Goff was better than Watson this year right?? Goff went 10-6 and Watson went 4-12 so that means Goff was better. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

GTFO of here. You're not comparing apples to apples..your arguments are so bad its sad. Put Watson on the Rams this year instead of Goff and how many wins do the Rams have? I guarantee you 100% more than 10 wins.

All this bullshit about Watson cant be that good if his team went 4-12 is the most absurd shit ever. When you say stuff like this people need to seriously question your understanding of football.
When it come to win and losses he was far better and its not even close. We dont know how Watson would fair with the rams for all we know he could end up injured essentially making him useless to us which is a good possibility considering his play style. But no point in discussing this with someone as bias as you. Feel free to scroll past my post next time.