The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Everyone wants the shiny new toy and doesn’t see the value of their old one. No one realizes how hard it is to replace a QB (which is funny coming from Rams fans ) we don’t even have a first round pick but even if we do I wonder what we could get!
View attachment 43073
View attachment 43074

View attachment 43075
View attachment 43076
View attachment 43077
It’s also funny how they are all smiles there at the beginning of their budding stardom before reality kicks in.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude, the truth is that list could go on pages and pages. It might surpass the “Rams Game” if we had a “Name a QB bust” thread. I think CGI needs to pick this idea up to boost our site traffic numbers :)
Well when I started the post I was gonna put them all but I got bored and the post was getting too big so I only got to the 26th worst first round qb of the decade Christian Ponder :ROFLMAO:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think the lesson is quit signing dudes early. It sounded good and all to lock core guys up early but money can fuck people up and change perspectives and injuries are always a play away so if you play that a little tighter you'll avoid a lot of shit.

That's a bit of hindsight though. Yes, injuries happen and money can fuck people up. But on the flip-side, you don't pay a guy early and he goes off and drives his value up, then you are stuck having to give up more money and more cap. You won't necessarily avoid the shit and can end up getting even more of it.

There is risk in waiting on paying guys all the same that there is risk paying them too early. There is no ideal time to drive the stake in the ground unless you have a crystal ball.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let’s be real sure the oline was ranked middle of the road and that should be good enough .. but when it mattered most like 1st and 1
Man I didn’t realise that this didn’t finish typing it makes zero sense sorry lads

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember us jettisoning a QB two years after he lost a Super Bowl game for us. It wasn't that long ago. What was that guy's name? ;)

This isn't being "realistic." It's an unreasonable opinion. It's not remotely easy to find a league starting QB, and Gardner Minshew isn't one at this point in his career. I'm not going to even bother with the rest of the baseless conjecture.

Well Minshew has been as good or better than Goff these past two years, so there's that. I think it's very easy to find a Dalton/Minshew/Goff caliber QB - the league is filled with them.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For those that want to keep Goff - if this happens...

FA comes up and we have no cap space, so we can't improve the OL. We draft an offensive lineman and start him, and he struggles, or he's not ready to start. We draft a WR and he struggles or is not ready to play.

Our offense is identical to last year.

If this happens, please do not complain about the supporting cast. We are in the cap situation that we're in for numerous decisions, three of which are: trading for Cooks/paying him, paying Gurley and paying Goff - the first two an attempt at getting Goff the best supporting cast possible even though the moves backfired.

If the decisions are either keep Goff and have the same offense or trading Goff ends up the only possibility to shake things up, which would you rather have?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

FA comes up and we have no cap space, so we can't improve the OL. We draft an offensive lineman and start him, and he struggles, or he's not ready to start. We draft a WR and he struggles or is not ready to play.

If this happens, please do not complain about the supporting cast. We are in the cap situation that we're in for numerous decisions, three of which are: trading for Cooks/paying him, paying Gurley and paying Goff - the first two an attempt at getting Goff the best supporting cast possible even though the moves backfired.

If the decisions are either keep Goff and have the same offense or trading Goff ends up the only possibility to shake things up, which would you rather have?
So wait you say we have no cap if we keep Goff it will be as bad or worse if we cut hit or trade him. Add in the cost of a replacement QB and don’t try Minshew or Wolford as a replacement they’re good backups nothing more.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Espn just reported houston's starting point for Watson. 3 firsts and possibly additional picks. Yikes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Espn just reported houston's starting point for Watson. 3 firsts and possibly additional picks. Yikes.
Surprised it’s that low, I expected three firsts but thought a pro bowl player would be included.

Tano

Legend

I would rather make the playoffs with Goff than go 7 - 9 at best with an unknown crappy QB

We aren't getting Watson and anyone else that we can possibly get will make us lose more games than win.

Get us an above average center and we go 12 - 4 easy imho.

KayJay

Starter
I would rather make the playoffs with Goff than go 7 - 9 at best with an unknown crappy QB

We aren't getting Watson and anyone else that we can possibly get will make us lose more games than win.

Get us an above average center and we go 12 - 4 easy imho.
This is pretty much where I'm at. We all have our frustrations with Goff's play, but we are about results. Fact remains is that before he went down we managed to at least secure 9 wins with him at the helm. Nobody is interested in getting worse for some potential that may, or may not be there with some unknown QB. That's what you do when you are losing. We've had multiple winning seasons in a row now. We aren't here to tank.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good thing he can choose which team he'll agree to be traded to, because they'll lack assets.
He cant choose the team he wants to play for per se, but he can reject a trade if/when one is proposed.
And if he refuses room enough teams that the team he wants to play for offers significantly less, then Houston doesnt have to accept the trade either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well Minshew has been as good or better than Goff these past two years, so there's that. I think it's very easy to find a Dalton/Minshew/Goff caliber QB - the league is filled with them.

No, he hasn't, so there's that. Don't box score scout. And putting Dalton in the same tier as Goff is ridiculous.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
So wait you say we have no cap if we keep Goff it will be as bad or worse if we cut hit or trade him. Add in the cost of a replacement QB and don’t try Minshew or Wolford as a replacement they’re good backups nothing more.

Yep. People don't see this, but there is no two ways about it. Our cap situation next year is worse if we get rid of Goff - no matter how we do it - than if we keep him. If our cap situation is worse, it makes it all that much harder to fix the OL.

Simply put, our best bet this year is to do what we can to fix the OL. If we successfully fix it and Goff stays the same or regresses further, we can move on without nearly as much in cap hit and we at least have addressed that issue and will set up whoever the next QB is for success. If Goff's play improves with that of a fixed OL, then we don't need to move on.

And if the OL isn't fixed? Well, we'll have to evaluate Goff in that context. I think the biggest thing is for him to reduce unforced turnovers, which seems to be the biggest knock on his play this year.