The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, I doubt the Texans or the Rams are going to want to wait until June 1st to make a decision on their starting QBs. Second, trading Goff after June 1st means we eat only $6.8 million in dead cap in 2021, but there's still another $15.4 million in dead cap in 2022. It just moves the dead money forward.
And currently, Watson's 2022 guaranteed salary is 35 mill, and is guaranteed 37 mill in 2023 (Salary 20m bonus 17m)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been saying this since the rumors started, but people dont understand a no trade clause I guess.
And some people dont understand how it works for the player.
He can refuse a trade to the Jets even if they offer 3 1st round picks but if the Rams offer is considerably less, they dont have to accept the trade. Then, Watson can decide if he wants to sit out the season. If the trade isnt equitable, Houston doesnt have to make it.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm glad that we aren't paying a QB 35 million and having to sit through 4-12 seasons!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm glad that we aren't paying a QB 35 million and having to sit through 4-12 seasons!

but apparently jared goff had nothing to do with the rams 10 wins. it was mcvay, the d, the rbs, the wrs, the waterboy. jared just stood there and watched all those wins unfold.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the lesson is quit signing dudes early. It sounded good and all to lock core guys up early but money can fuck people up and change perspectives and injuries are always a play away so if you play that a little tighter you'll avoid a lot of shit.

This. Les seems like a really good dude, bit we all have our breaking points - if we traded Goff this year it would look like our front office just blindly hands out contracts

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I think Ramsey was the last big deal the Rams will hand out for awhile.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but apparently jared goff had nothing to do with the rams 10 wins. it was mcvay, the d, the rbs, the wrs, the waterboy. jared just stood there and watched all those wins unfold.

You just have to be realistic man. It's pretty easy to get a league average QB like a Gardner Minshew. So let's go through and see which games we win with a league average QB like him:

Cowboys - W - Goff didn't have a particularly great game, nor did he have a bad game - about average

Eagles - W - while Goff did have a great game here, the Eagles were no match for us top to bottom

Bills - L - Goff played out of his mind in the second half, we likely get destroyed with a league average QB

Giants - W - defense held them to 9 points

Football Team - W - Goff played really well here, but again the defense dominated

Niners - L - but Goff played one of his worst games here, it's likely closer with a league average guy

Bears - W - defense dominated

Dolphins - W - we held Miami to 150 yards, no way this should be a loss, even with a below average QB

Seahawks - W - again, the defense held them to 13 points for most of the game

Bucs - L - Goff played great, one of his best games

Niners - W - Goff turned the ball over too many times here

Cardinals - L - another one that Goff played really well, and with the special teams fumble and long KR, we probably lose without him

Patriots - W - even with nobody at QB

Jets - W - yes the defense was disappointing, but the INT here was one of the two main reasons (along with the blocked punt) that we lost - every team has a poor showing, but the inexcusable errors, regardless of opponent - that INT where Goff was under no pressure and threw it straight to a defender, along with the blocked punt - are, well, inexcusable

Seahawks - L - even with another QB I think we lose here

Cardinals - W

Seahawks playoffs - W

Packers playoffs - L

The comp for our team that comes to mind is the Case Keenum led Vikings from 2017 - their WRs were better, run game worse, defense a little worse - but they went 13-3. I actually have us at 11-5 as opposed to 10-6 - many here agree that Goff was below average this year, so I don't think it's a stretch to say we'd have been one game better with a guy like 2017 Case Keenum or this year's Gardner Minshew.

That's not to say Goff brought no value - we should have won the Bills game, primarily because of him, and we beat the Cardinals and Bucs because of him. Those are three games where he very positively affected the outcome, along with the Eagles, Washington and Seattle games - very positively. Then there are the games where he very negatively affected the outcome - which seems to be where most Rams fans disagree - and because of team construction, we didn't actually need good Goff to win some of those games - so the question for me is, would we be better off saving $30 million and reinvesting that into the OL and WRs? Hell yes. For, IMO, two years running now. Goff will likely get another chance to prove himself next year, but for two years now it hasn't been great - even with OL issues - because it is possible for both the OL AND QB to struggle.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I do NOT want the Rams to trade Jared Goff.

I do NOT think they should.

And, because of the cap implications (to both teams), it would NOT be an easy thing to do.

If anyone here chooses to consider a trade, I think we have to consider the position of the trade-partner.

What type of team would consider acquiring Goff? Teams with weak rosters make little sense to me. However, a winning team that is talented but without a QB; and has cap space would make sense.

Especially a team with a talented O-Line, skill position talent and an offensive Head Coach. Maybe a former NFL QB.

And an AFC team that the Rams would only face once every four years

I just described the Indianapolis Colts.

Just a thought.

Ellard80

Legend
So its a team game.. so we shouldn't criticize goff too much if he loses... yet I see people on here making fun of Desean Watson for being 4-12... predictable behavior however.

The more i think about it the more i just don't see it as possible. There is no way we can pay out Goff residual cap money and Watsons money. Not to mention we don't have the trade commodities.

I think mcvay brings in competition for goff... but in the end most likely goff will be the starter next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've stayed out of this convo... but I just really hope that the Rams aren't burning a bridge and running a good QB out of town just a few short years after finally making the move to acquire one... it's just classic Rams to jettison him after 2 seasons surrounded by a mediocre-at-best cast of skill players and underperforming overachievers across the offensive line.

I remember us jettisoning a QB two years after he lost a Super Bowl game for us. It wasn't that long ago. What was that guy's name? ;)

You just have to be realistic man. It's pretty easy to get a league average QB like a Gardner Minshew.

This isn't being "realistic." It's an unreasonable opinion. It's not remotely easy to find a league starting QB, and Gardner Minshew isn't one at this point in his career. I'm not going to even bother with the rest of the baseless conjecture.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I do NOT want the Rams to trade Jared Goff.

I do NOT think they should.

And, because of the cap implications (to both teams), it would NOT be an easy thing to do.

If anyone here chooses to consider a trade, I think we have to consider the position of the trade-partner.

What type of team would consider acquiring Goff? Teams with weak rosters make little sense to me. However, a winning team that is talented but without a QB; and has cap space would make sense.

Especially a team with a talented O-Line, skill position talent and an offensive Head Coach. Maybe a former NFL QB.

And an AFC team that the Rams would only face once every four years

I just described the Indianapolis Colts.

Just a thought.

Who would trade a first round pick for 2020 Goff? I'm not sure anyone would. Anything lower and we're just reaching for the best available guy crossing our fingers we get lucky. I don't think we can afford a starting caliber quarterback. We could sign a career vet backup. But if we do that all I could think about is Clemens/Keenum/Davis. There's a reason why those guys are not considered starter material.

If they can swing a deal for Watson I'm all for it. But that does not look realistic. I think our best chance is to hold onto Goff for one more year. Maybe they can fix some of the line issues? Maybe they can get him straightened out? Maybe he can return to 2017/2018 form? If not, the following year might be more doable as far as cap implications.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'll give it a try.

I'd try to trade him to Indy, New England, or maybe even Chicago (whose lameduck GM/Coach can't wait for a rookie) for a 2nd round pick in 2021 and a conditional pick in 2022.

I believe that one of these teams would do the deal due to the need at the position and their draft position not being high enough to obtain one of the top rated rookies in a very questionable QB draft class despite the early hype.

The Rams would then have $22.2 Million in dead money in 2021, but free $12.4 million in 2021 salary cap space. Goff will count about $25 million against his new teams salary cap, IF they didn't restructure his contact.

I'd then trade WR Cooper Kupp to Jacksonville for QB Gardner Minshew (who is still on his rookie contract) and a draft choice. Then I would have a QB competition between Minshew, Wolford, Perkins, and/or another draft pick who better fits what McVay wants at QB. Kupp gives his new team's new #1 overall pick a great security blanket while the Rams save $10 million in cap space. I'd then try to use these savings for a veteran OLineman.

Robert Woods, Van Jefferson, and a rookie speedster would be my WR core along with Nsimba Webster and perhaps another cheaper veteran pickup or rookie.

Step one.
Phillip Rivers has retired and from what I've read, Eagles management is telling the coaches they interview that they want to hang on to Wentz.

Couple that with Deshaun Watson and Gardner Minshew being the same division so it's unlikely they are potential options.

Sure there are other options, but Indy has loads of cap space. Goff to Indy is possible if they are interested.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
This isn't being "realistic." It's an unreasonable opinion. It's not remotely easy to find a league starting QB, and Gardner Minshew isn't one at this point in his career. I'm not going to even bother with the rest of the baseless conjecture.

Minshew's rating was 95 this year. Not bad. I didn't follow the Jags at all this year so I don't know. But considering how many times they lost, I have to wonder how much his stats were boosted during garbage time when the outcome is no longer in doubt and all the defense wants is to let them run clock while he completes passes? Its a lot easier to complete passes and move down the field with 4 minutes left down 2 scores or more. The defense is giving you underneath stuff so you use the clock.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gardner Minshew is league average QB that could replace Goff?
10 of his last 18 games, his team has scored 16 points or less
Stuff like this is classic, " Niners - L - but Goff played one of his worst games here, it's likely closer with a league average guy " Closer? Rams lost 24-16
Meanwhile, that was also the game where the defense allowed 3, 75+ yard drives in the first half and allowed San Fran to control 22 minutes of first half clock. Also the game when Goff led 2, 2nd half scoring drives a 3rd drive that couldnt get in from 1 yard line, and then couldnt stop the 49ers from making a 1st down TWICE on the last drive, thus denying a chance to win.
And that was one of Goff's worst games? Good grief

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Who would trade a first round pick for 2020 Goff? I'm not sure anyone would.
First off, I couched the thought with the points that I did not want Goff traded, did not think they should and it would be difficult.

The reason I submitted the post is because fans rarely look at things from the “other” team’s point of view.

The Colts are set up right now but need a QB. I think they are more likely to pursue QBs such as Ryan or Stafford should their teams, with new coaches and GMs look to add draft capital while gaining cap relief.

But Goff is young and helped get the Rams to the Super Bowl two years ago with comparable talent to what IN has right now. The 21st pick might be worth it to the Colts.

Now why would the Rams do it? Only if McVay is convinced he can’t win with Goff, and they have to take a step back and move on. The 21st pick PLUS major long-term cap relief would be the reasons the Rams would make the trade.

Again, don’t want it to happen, don’t think it will happen, don’t think it should happen.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stuff like this is classic, " Niners - L - but Goff played one of his worst games here, it's likely closer with a league average guy " Closer? Rams lost 24-16
Meanwhile, that was also the game where the defense allowed 3, 75+ yard drives in the first half and allowed San Fran to control 22 minutes of first half clock. Also the game when Goff led 2, 2nd half scoring drives a 3rd drive that couldnt get in from 1 yard line, and then couldnt stop the 49ers from making a 1st down TWICE on the last drive, thus denying a chance to win.

There's also the fact that Minshew averaged the same number of turnovers per game (9 in 9 games) as Goff (17 in 17 games).

Ellard80

Legend

gardner minshew lol... yeah no thanks.

Goff is way more of a proven player than that guy...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Bottom line this thing. If McV wants to turn the page at QB, then you turn the page. It’s the most important position by far and you either have it filled or you do everything you can to fill it.

The $$ part hurts - and it will set us back - even more than Gurley - more than Cooks.

As others have mentioned - don’t ink anyone long term who you aren’t completely sold on. Injuries will happen - so it goes - but no more of these buyers remorse deals.

Still, no half measures. If McV wants to get rid of Goff, get rid of him.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone wants the shiny new toy and doesn’t see the value of their old one. No one realizes how hard it is to replace a QB (which is funny coming from Rams fans ) we don’t even have a first round pick but even if we do I wonder what we could get!
1611162272907.jpeg

1611162466330.png

1611162541822.jpeg

1611162642483.jpeg

1611162735837.jpeg

TexasRam

Legend
Everyone wants the shiny new toy and doesn’t see the value of their old one. No one realizes how hard it is to replace a QB (which is funny coming from Rams fans ) we don’t even have a first round pick but even if we do I wonder what we could get!
View attachment 43073
View attachment 43074

View attachment 43075
View attachment 43076
View attachment 43077
Dude, the truth is that list could go on pages and pages. It might surpass the “Rams Game” if we had a “Name a QB bust” thread. I think CGI needs to pick this idea up to boost our site traffic numbers :)