The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm done overrating our TEs. Well at least Higs and Everett both of whom are who they are at this stage.

I guess it's more accurate to say that I am now going to move on to overrating Hopkins, trying to delude myself that maybe he'll make a jump in year 2 and give us a nice weapon addition. :ROFLMAO:
Agreed. Higbee has 62 starts with McVay, 4 100 yard games.
only 4 in 62 games.
And yes they were in a row, however, that was it. Poof! Gone

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is interesting because maybe the Rams not having a first this year matters less. And according to Jourdan Rodrigue if the Rams traded Goff after June 1 it would only be a 6 million dollar cap hit.
Screenshot_20210119-223821_Chrome.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
We learned after the Jalen Ramsey deal...NEVER underestimate Les Snead.

EVER.

If Les wants to make it happen, he'll make it happen. One of the few dudes in the NFL with that Midas Touch...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is interesting because maybe the Rams not having a first this year matters less. And according to Jourdan Rodrigue if the Rams traded Goff after June 1 it would only be a 6 million dollar cap hit.
View attachment 43071
$6 million is nowhere close to accurate. 15 million left on signing bonus and 19.2 million in restructure. Also depends on when the trade happens if we've already paid his guaranteed roster bonus.

MachS

Hall of Fame
View attachment 43071

Been saying this since the rumors started, but people dont understand a no trade clause I guess. Draft capital does matter, but far more important is that Deshaun "approves" a trade to your franchise. The writing is already on the wall in Houston, I dont think he stays. With all the McVay comments recently I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go all in for him. He would love living in LA and playing for McVay.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
View attachment 43071

First, I doubt the Texans or the Rams are going to want to wait until June 1st to make a decision on their starting QBs. Second, trading Goff after June 1st means we eat only $6.8 million in dead cap in 2021, but there's still another $15.4 million in dead cap in 2022. It just moves the dead money forward.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$6 million is nowhere close to accurate. 15 million left on signing bonus and 19.2 million in restructure. Also depends on when the trade happens if we've already paid his guaranteed roster bonus.

$15 million left on the signing bonus and $7.2 million left on the restructure.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First, I doubt the Texans or the Rams are going to want to wait until June 1st to make a decision on their starting QBs. Second, trading Goff after June 1st means we eat only $6.8 million in dead cap in 2021, but there's still another $15.4 million in dead cap in 2022. It just moves the dead money forward.
I guess not. Unless it were agreed in principle. But I'm sure they want draft picks in this draft. Or maybe they don't because of the lack of scouting? Idk. And as far as 2022. I thought we had a better cap situation then. Is watson worth that level of a cap hit?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Jourdan said if it's post June. She seems to be knowledgeable.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
E
I guess not. Unless it were agreed in principle. But I'm sure they want draft picks in this draft. Or maybe they don't because of the lack of scouting? Idk. And as far as 2022. I thought we had a better cap situation then. Is watson worth that level of a cap hit?
Everyone needs to let the Watson to Rams stuff go....it ain't happening.

No assets to move and can't dump Goff without a lot of dead money. So how can you afford two expensive QBs when were already $20M in the hole for the cap.

If they move on from Goff it will be the 22' offseason when they have more picks and a little more wiggle room with his contract.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Jourdan said if it's post June. She seems to be knowledgeable.
Which pushes the rest of it into 2022 and fucks us then with money like we did with Gurley. That's why we have $8.4 million dead money for Gurley now in 2021. It's doable but IMO it's even more idiotic than signing somebody to a huge mega contract and then trading or cutting them for the third time in 2 years.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Pretty sure they can do it any time after the new league year starts and simply use a post June 1st designation. I think they can do that once.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Which pushes the rest of it into 2022 and fucks us then with money like we did with Gurley. That's why we have $8.4 million dead money for Gurley now in 2021. It's doable but IMO it's even more idiotic than signing somebody to a huge mega contract and then trading or cutting them for the third time in 2 years.
I think the lesson is quit signing dudes early. It sounded good and all to lock core guys up early but money can fuck people up and change perspectives and injuries are always a play away so if you play that a little tighter you'll avoid a lot of shit.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It sucks that when it came to that draft class that Jerry Jones was right.

The one thing that those contracts bought us that isn't going away... b/c we paid AD and Ramsey as well... is that guys who are at the top of their games will always consider us because we treat out players right.

We're the anti-Houston now.

Other than Peters and Matthews, I dunno of any players that weren't thrilled to be here. And their gripes don't bother me much and don't seem to have affected our standing among players.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty sure they can do it any time after the new league year starts and simply use a post June 1st designation. I think they can do that once.

They can do that with cuts. I don't think they can do that with trades. But I could be wrong.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Is Watson worth it? Sure. The bigger cap issues are on the Texans' side of the equation. The trade is worth it for us. For them? I don't see it. But I was elaborating on where the dead money would go under Jourdan's scenario.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I've stayed out of this convo... but I just really hope that the Rams aren't burning a bridge and running a good QB out of town just a few short years after finally making the move to acquire one... it's just classic Rams to jettison him after 2 seasons surrounded by a mediocre-at-best cast of skill players and underperforming overachievers across the offensive line.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kupp has also had significant injury issues and is under a three year contract.

I'm just stating hypotheticals as well; I'd rather not lose Kupp/Woods, but if we could get a talent like Freiermuth, it would be worth it. And then you still have Akers, Henderson, Woods/Kupp, Jefferson, Higbee (maybe Hopkins), and a drafted wide receiver or two to help the offense hum on all cylinders; it would just mean more 12 personnel.

Yeah Friermuth is a good TE. From what I've read on PSU boards he was given a first round grade after last season. He's a great receiver.
He is very consistent and was a go to weapon for Clifford. His blocking isn't bad but I'm sure it needs refinement. Most people see him as a Gronk type of TE. I don't like the idea of picking a TE too early though. We've seen teams recently finding good tight ends in rounds 3-5. But if he could be what Mark Andrews is for Baltimore then sure.

One thing Franklin has done well is recruit tight ends. He has two studs that already made an impact this season. Brenton Strange and Theo Johnson are looking like a they will have no trouble filling the void left by Friermuth

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Watson worth it? Sure. The bigger cap issues are on the Texans' side of the equation. The trade is worth it for us. For them? I don't see it. But I was elaborating on where the dead money would go under Jourdan's scenario.
I see. I appreciate it. I'm glad we have so many knowledgeable members on the board.