The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Maybe. Maybe not. Not sure if it were on this board or not, but last year about this time neither Gurley or Cooks were going anywhere either according to many.
Yeah I was shocked that Gurley was let go, I thought the salary cap impact and dead money were too great. Anything can happen IMO.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It's fun thinking about Deshaun.. but he ends up in either MIA or SF.

We don't have the draft capital or assets to pull it off.
I'm not sure Miami is ready to give up on Tua after only a few games, but you never know.

SF makes too much sense.
If SF can get Watson, they immediately jump to the favorite in our division.
I hope it doesn't happen.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm not sure Miami is ready to give up on Tua after only a few games, but you never know.

SF makes too much sense.
If SF can get Watson, they immediately jump to the favorite in our division.
I hope it doesn't happen.
And we fall further and further. It'd be frustrating.

Tano

Legend
The wrinkle here is what if Goff had time and the receiver ran the wrong route :ROFLMAO: . Or what if the line held up how long it was Intended to and no receiver got open forcing Goff to hold the ball. I don’t think this type of thing is possible to do with the limited information we have.
I will put it forward with my best opinion possible. There will be some doubt but the one I have no doubt on was the one where he threw an interception after running with the ball to the line of scrimmage in the Seattle game. That was 100% on him. He should have ran with the ball because no one was open.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I agree with this.

I realize McVay was frustrated after the game.

However, to double down on that rather than smooth things over with a, "lemme be clear. I have every faith in Jared Goff. That said, we always compete and expect competition at every position and this off season will be no different"

Sure, folks could read into that, but it'd be a stretch.

Of all the times for McVay to forget how to coach-speak... this seems like an awful time. If they can't get done what they'd like to, this could really blow up in their faces.

It's why I think something's brewing... because McVay, Snead and Demoff have been far too composed and intentional thus far to just botch something so obvious as their starting QB's relationship with the HC/playcaller...
Kinda where I’m at, McVay has been anything but incompetent in pressers before. Not to mention doubling down. Something has to be going on behind closes doors imo

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing about the OL people are forgetting is that we didn't have Edwards in that Green Bay game. Evans got owned and the dropoff ended up being profound. When healthy our starting OL is without a doubt a top 10 run game OL. Maybe top 5 but I just can't do that when Blythe "winning" a block is when he lets the guy run wherever he fucking wants then seals him.

Passing game when the OL is healthy it's a bit lower more in the low teens IMO. But even if you put them middle of the pack they're a respectable unit.

Overall we have a pretty good line. We're a Center away from what I would call a good line. And btw one reason some of the rankings look so confusing is that most teams are struggling with protections nowadays and defenses are perfecting holds that prevent interior OL from switching over to the rusher/stunt, even doing things like interfering with the interior OL pulling/getting second level in the run game.

I do think changes are coming on the line. Hav is a likely trade piece, Edwards or Evans will slide to his spot and they'll address the interior. IMO.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
One thing about the OL people are forgetting is that we didn't have Edwards in that Green Bay game. Evans got owned and the dropoff ended up being profound. When healthy our starting OL is without a doubt a top 10 run game OL. Maybe top 5 but I just can't do that when Blythe "winning" a block is when he lets the guy run wherever he fucking wants then seals him.

Passing game when the OL is healthy it's a bit lower more in the low teens IMO. But even if you put them middle of the pack they're a respectable unit.

Overall we have a pretty good line. We're a Center away from what I would call a good line. And btw one reason some of the rankings look so confusing is that most teams are struggling with protections nowadays and defenses are perfecting holds that prevent interior OL from switching over to the rusher/stunt, even doing things like interfering with the interior OL pulling/getting second level in the run game.

I do think changes are coming on the line. Hav is a likely trade piece, Edwards or Evans will slide to his spot and they'll address the interior. IMO.
I would agree with the line being a top 10 unit in run blocking but I disagree with them being in the low teens in pass blocking. I'll say they're bottom 10 as pass blockers. I simply dont trust them holding up in past protection without keeping a extra blocker or two for anything past a 3 step drop. But yes Blythe is a huge liability and has been since he became a starter. He's a good backup just not a starter.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel sorry for higbee I honestly think the dude has enough potential to be mentioned in the same breath as kittle ... but the poor dude has to spend so much time staying into balcony because our online can’t pass block .. it’s a travesty .. I honestly think havenstein is good enough whit is still a beast (but Father Time
Is undefeated ) our interior is shocking upgrade them and let’s see how goff really does

jacktheripper85

Starter
I would agree with the line being a top 10 unit in run blocking but I disagree with them being in the low teens in pass blocking. I'll say they're bottom 10 as pass blockers. I simply dont trust them holding up in past protection without keeping a extra blocker or two for anything past a 3 step drop. But yes Blythe is a huge liability and has been since he became a starter. He's a good backup just not a starter.

I agree. It kind of sucks when watching the offense on the field and knowing that 3rd and 8 or more is basically a “give up down” and the best you hope for is that when Goff gets sacked he doesn’t fumble.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel sorry for higbee I honestly think the dude has enough potential to be mentioned in the same breath as kittle ... but the poor dude has to spend so much time staying into balcony because our online can’t pass block .. it’s a travesty .. I honestly think havenstein is good enough whit is still a beast (but Father Time
Is undefeated ) our interior is shocking upgrade them and let’s see how goff really does
I'm done overrating our TEs. Well at least Higs and Everett both of whom are who they are at this stage.

I guess it's more accurate to say that I am now going to move on to overrating Hopkins, trying to delude myself that maybe he'll make a jump in year 2 and give us a nice weapon addition. :ROFLMAO:

jacktheripper85

Starter
I'm done overrating our TEs. Well at least Higs and Everett both of whom are who they are at this stage.

I guess it's more accurate to say that I am now going to move on to overrating Hopkins, trying to delude myself that maybe he'll make a jump in year 2 and give us a nice weapon addition. :ROFLMAO:

Surprising considering our HC was a TEs coach and those guys from the Skins raved about him. Frustrating-right?

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I mean season before last higbee had the best 4-5 game stretch of any TE in history ? .. sure be nice if we could get him out on more routes instead of blocking and I’m not sure that big ol arm brace he was wearing was helpful

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surprising considering our HC was a TEs coach and those guys from the Skins raved about him. Frustrating-right?
Definitely frustrating. But coaching can only do so much.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. It kind of sucks when watching the offense on the field and knowing that 3rd and 8 or more is basically a “give up down” and the best you hope for is that when Goff gets sacked he doesn’t fumble.
Why do you think we had to throw all those WR screens. Coach knew we couldn’t up in pass pro long enough to get a we 8 yards past the LOS

Which is another thing where this slant routes at coach

kupp and woods were 1 and 2 at RAC

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean season before last higbee had the best 4-5 game stretch of any TE in history ? .. sure be nice if we could get him out on more routes instead of blocking and I’m not sure that big ol arm brace he was wearing was helpful
I think if you want to flex a TE out wide or focus him in the pattern then Hopkins is a better bet for some consistent numbers next season and I say that knowing only what he showed in college. Higs is just a good all-around TE. But you can nullify him without too much problem in coverage. He lacks shake 'n bake but has good speed so his biggest threat IMO is on wheel route, deep shot types of plays and on occasion.

If the Rams don't like Hopkins (which is possible given his lack of play this season) then they might go after a TE this year in the draft. Honestly I hope they draft a good passing game threat period could be a TE or a WR. And if it's a TE focus on the guys who can option route defenders. Adding a real option route threat would give this offense a huge boost.

Rams77

Starter
Just after the 6 minute mark the Rams discussion starts

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItuWsbeh7Hc&feature=youtu.be

They failed to mention how inconsistent the OLine particularly the pass blocking has been since the end of ‘18. I guess it even confuses analysts/former NFL players like Orlavsky and Tucker-What is the problem with Goff and the Rams O?
1) Goff Himself/pure regression or no improvement presnap/decision making
2)personnel: OLine regression/lack of speed outside/young backs inexperienced
3)Change in scheme because teams figured out McVays wide zone running/playaction/fly sweep out of the same concept and McVay really hasnt found an effective changeup to his fastball??
I would say its 50% number 3 , 40% number 2 and 10% number 1 as the main issues holding this offense back.
Nobody wants to admit it. McVay is a damn good coach no one I’d rather have but maybe he just doesnt have it in him to change the offense back to fit Goffs strengths-he’s had 2 years now.