The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol are you serious dude. The oline was ranked 31st last year...31st. Only one team was worse so I would hope the oline would get better but it's still isnt even close to the unit we had in 17/18. Saying the oline isnt close to the unit in 17/18 isnt a excuse. It's a fact.

But Goff isn't making the money he was in 17/18, so it stands to reason that some position group is going to suffer

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol are you serious dude. The oline was ranked 31st last year...31st. Only one team was worse so I would hope the oline would get better but it's still isnt even close to the unit we had in 17/18. Saying the oline isnt close to the unit in 17/18 isnt a excuse. It's a fact.

Also, you can't use PFFs grade from last year against them and then ignore PFFs ranking this year.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
But Goff isn't making the money he was in 17/18, so it stands to reason that some position group is going to suffer
If you're gonna pay a qb why the fuck would you go cheap on the unit protecting your investment?

Cydekikk

UDFA
Yeah I don’t get it either. I don’t see the benefit of making this public - it can only lower your trade leverage if that’s what you’re trying to do, with the downside that you mentioned if it doesn’t work out.

Makes me wonder if perhaps the FO already has an unofficial back up plan for a Goff-less 2021 season — i.e., “The Rumor”... Why else so publicly light the fuse with this McVay vs. Goff spat?...

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Also, you can't use PFFs grade from last year against them and then ignore PFFs ranking this year.
No way in hell you're gonna convince me that the line was top 10 much less top 3...no way.

Cydekikk

UDFA
Goff just posted a 105 QB rating 2 weeks after thumb surgery with the weakest interior Oline in the NFL and missing his top WR.

Facts.

My plan is to keep Goff, address the Oline and watch them return to 32ppg.
See, that’s just it...the Rams DO NOT have the “weakest interior OL in the NFL”... That exaggeration hamstrings your “facts.”

Rams77

Starter
Compared to 2019 the line was night and day better. Thats what Im talking about. People blamed bad OL and no running game for Goff's bad play last year.

This year both were improved upon big time yet Goff plays even worse than last year. Its sickening how many excuses are made for Goff and its obvious McVay is more than frustrated with his play. To the point now where he wont even commit to him being on the roster next year.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-offensive-line-rankings
The only reason the PFF rankings show the Rams as a “good OL” is because of how the Rams
Completely got rid of their vertical passing game. They went for a more efficient attack to limit wasted downs according to McVay earlier this season. In other words McVay realized the line sucked and couldn’t block long enough for Goff to find his 2nd 3rd or 4th option downfield past 10-15 yards. Goff posted the highest completion percentage of his career but the lowest YPA/YPC as well. Our line is terrible. I watched every other playoff game this weekend with the elite 8 divisional playoff teams and our OLine looked the weakest by far (maybe along with the Ravens). We can not pick up blitzes and stunts AT ALL. Our RT gets abused by speed rushers constantly (for the 2nd year in a row) and our Center cant hold the point of attack and gets bull rushed like he’s a high school player. Other than that they are middle of the road besides the fact that our LT is nearly 40 and our backup LT is not an NFL quality starter. Maybe we just need to fire Kromer or just do both. But dont say the OLine is good-its not-and it hasnt been since the NFC Championship in 2018

Shuie3225

Starter
No way in hell you're gonna convince me that the line was top 10 much less top 3...no way.

No one needs to convince you of anything. I'll trust NFL analysts who study every single snap our OL plays vs some random internet Rams fan who wants to blame the OL for all Goff's bad play. They watch and grade every single snap regardless of outcome. The OL was not bad this season.

Why didnt McVay come out and blame the OL for the offense? Why didn't he say we need to block better to the media or call out individual players? I remember him saying things like "our QB needs to protect the football." And hes our QB "right now" and not even committing to him being on the roster next year. If you cant read between the lines, and more importantly see how McVay's tone and body language have changed when talking about Goff, then you're missing what's going on right now.

Rams77

Starter
No one needs to convince you of anything. I'll trust NFL analysts who study every single snap our OL plays vs some random internet Rams fan who wants to blame the OL for all Goff's bad play. They watch and grade every single snap regardless of outcome. The OL was not bad this season.

Why didnt McVay come out and blame the OL for the offense? Why didn't he say we need to block better to the media or call out individual players? I remember him saying things like "our QB needs to protect the football." And hes our QB "right now" and not even committing to him being on the roster next year. If you cant read between the lines, and more importantly see his how McVay's tone and body language have changed when talking about Goff, then you're missing what's going on right now.
Goff is not blameless

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

Why didnt McVay come out and blame the OL for the offense? Why didn't he say we need to block better to the media or call out individual players? I remember him saying things like "our QB needs to protect the football." And hes our QB "right now" and not even committing to him being on the roster next year. If you cant read between the lines, and more importantly see his how McVay's tone and body language have changed when talking about Goff, then you're missing what's going on right now.
If you believe that the oline is top 3 then yea no point in discussing anything with you. Top 3? That's a joke.

Ellard80

Legend
The only reason the PFF rankings show the Rams as a “good OL” is because of how the Rams
Completely got rid of their vertical passing game. They went for a more efficient attack to limit wasted downs according to McVay earlier this season. In other words McVay realized the line sucked and couldn’t block long enough for Goff to find his 2nd 3rd or 4th option downfield past 10-15 yards. Goff posted the highest completion percentage of his career but the lowest YPA/YPC as well. Our line is terrible. I watched every other playoff game this weekend with the elite 8 divisional playoff teams and our OLine looked the weakest by far (maybe along with the Ravens). We can not pick up blitzes and stunts AT ALL. Our RT gets abused by speed rushers constantly (for the 2nd year in a row) and our Center cant hold the point of attack and gets bull rushed like he’s a high school player. Other than that they are middle of the road besides the fact that our LT is nearly 40 and our backup LT is not an NFL quality starter. Maybe we just need to fire Kromer or just do both. But dont say the OLine is good-its not-and it hasnt been since the NFC Championship in 2018

Im not saying i agree that our offensive line is #3... because it isnt. However its not nearly as bad as many people are making it out to be.

PFF doesn't know everything.. but they are pretty scientific about how they do things.

They take everything into account - 100% guaranteed they factored in all the things you are saying.

Not saying i agree we have teh #3 offensive line... but....

Shuie3225

Starter
If you believe that the oline is top 3 then yea no point in discussing anything with you. Top 3? That's a joke.

Like I said, I believe the OL is night and day better than last season...yet Goff's play got worse. We gave him a top 10 running game, a much improved OL, and the #1 defense in the NFL and still Goff's play was terrible.

But that cant be why McVay is so pissed and non committal towards Goff right?? No probably not...he must love having his offense held back by his QB.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Like I said, I believe the OL is night and day better than last season...yet Goff's play got worse. We gave him a top 10 running game, a much improved OL, and the #1 defense in the NFL and still Goff's play was terrible.

But that cant be why McVay is so pissed and non committal towards Goff right?? No probably not...he must love having his offense held back by his QB.
Lol ok. The same qb who has yet to have a losing season and lead a top 2 offense twice in a row. Like I said before if you really believe that nonsense about the oline being good then no point in discussing anything with you.

Shuie3225

Starter
Lol ok. The same qb who has yet to have a losing season and lead a top 2 offense twice in a row. Like I said before if you really believe that nonsense about the oline being good then no point in discussing anything with you.

Man you're one of those Rams fans stuck in 2017/2018 still? Wow.
If you haven't noticed its 2021 now. And Goff's last 2 years were bottom 1/3rd of the league. He's #1 in turnovers during that span. His coach is now publicly calling him out and criticising his bad play. He won't even commit to him being on the roster next year let alone the starter.

If McVay truly thought the offensive blame should be placed on the OL he wouldn't be calling out Goff. Use your brain.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Man you're one of those Rams fans stuck in 2017/2018 still? Wow.
If you haven't noticed its 2021 now. And Goff's last 2 years were bottom 1/3rd of the league. He's #1 in turnovers during that span. His coach is now publicly calling him out and criticising his bad play. He won't even commit to him being on the roster next year let alone the starter.

If McVay truly thought the offensive blame should be placed on the OL he wouldn't be calling out Goff. Use your brain.
I'm one of those rams fan who look at everything and not just the qb. Rams fans who dont look at the big picture and want to focus on only the qb go on my ignore list. So we're done here.

TexasRam

Legend
See, that’s just it...the Rams DO NOT have the “weakest interior OL in the NFL”... That exaggeration hamstrings your “facts.”
Evans, Blythe and Corbett. Please do show me a worse one. Two turnstyles and one solid but unspectacular guy.

Do show.

TexasRam

Legend
PFF.

Laughing GIFs | Tenor

Shuie3225

Starter
I'm one of those rams fan who look at everything and not just the qb. Rams fans who dont look at the big picture and want to focus on only the qb go on my ignore list. So we're done here.

Are you going to ignore McVay too after everything he said about Goff this year?

And its not that some people aren't looking at the big picture. Its some people have identified the issue with our offense, while others choose to be blind to it. And it appears McVay has identified the problem too.

Rasp

UDFA
Name
Rasp
The OL werent the ones throwing the ball to the opposition. Goff is accountable for all of his turnovers which killed multiple games this season.