The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
The OL werent the ones throwing the ball to the opposition. Goff is accountable for all of his turnovers which killed multiple games this season.
Agreed and there were times where Goff had time and threw a pick. He needs to get better but he only threw 3 picks in his last 6 games so it does appear ball security is improving in his approach. He also had zero picks in his two playoff games.

Its something all QB's need to get better at. Wilson, Brady, Ryan, Allen, Murray - All threw interceptions in the teens.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All the bad said about Goff there is some good as well.
The thing that gets me is the dude has accomplishments and been to a Superbowl. So in regards to a Watson trade ok so Watson is more talented than Goff and some may debate that.

My question is when a Goff for Watson trade is proposed where do these pundit/people get off saying like Goff and 3 first rounders plus etc.

Love or hate Goff stat wise Goff has better stats ok Watson may be more talented but Goff is not a throw in. You get 2 or 3 first rounders if your get just picks and a marginal player.

I think we can all agree Goff is not marginal RT?
I wouldn't do a Goff and kill unless in brought back a bit more than Watson. Having given some thought I'd do a Goff and havenstein and some combination of picks for Watson.

I just hate how they make it like Goff is a toss in.

We don't have a 1st this year, so the picks would have to be in 2022, 2023 and 2024. Picks lose a round worth of value for every year they are extended, so next year's pick would have the value of a 2nd this year. If, we gave up Goff and the picks, we would be drafting in the 20s each year making those picks not that valuable.

All those picks packaged together would probably get us the #10 pick this year give or take a couple spots.
Before comp picks we only have 4 picks this year. We will probably get a 3rd for Fowler, a 4th for Littleton and another 3rd for Holmes. Here's the comp pick page,

Compensatory Draft Picks Cancellation Chart | Over the Cap

If you don't have one already, here is a trade value chart,

2021 NFL Trade Value Chart (drafttek.com)

I don't know if you have this info already, just trying to be helpful.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Like I said, I believe the OL is night and day better than last season...yet Goff's play got worse. We gave him a top 10 running game, a much improved OL, and the #1 defense in the NFL and still Goff's play was terrible.

But that cant be why McVay is so pissed and non committal towards Goff right?? No probably not...he must love having his offense held back by his QB.

How terrible could it be if the Rams went 10 and 6? I'm not sure you understand the meaning of terrible.

Edit - is this the kind of reply you're referring to @payote75

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How terrible could it be if the Rams went 10 and 6? I'm not sure you understand the meaning of terrible.

I believe if AARON DONALD does not take that STUPID SELFISH PERSONAL FOUL !! The Rams still are in the game all the way to the END.

Was a ME not WE play & that is what The Rams & Mcvay are all about.

I’m just disappointed in him loosing his cool.He has done that in years past early in his career.

3&7 on 40 in a 3-3 ball game on the road against a Top seeded team.Time & Place for that. Next thing 10-3.

Blame the offensive line & Jared Goff playing with a Cooperless Kupp & a broken thumb.

I’m just saying I like this Rams team & thought after that play.It was the End of the Game.Emotionally & Spirtually.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Maybe goff comes back with an Aaron Rodgers “fuck you” type of season next year

Works for me. I just want us to win.

Other than Watson, I'm all in on Goff. I like Goff. I thought he could be elite, but I doubt that now. I think with a few more seasons, he's a top half QB whereas, Watson's a top 5 QB in 2021.

But short of something massive, Watson's gonna be in Houston or Miami most likely and we'll either have a weird, shit year where McVay's not happy or Goff and McVay get on the same page, Goff starts putting in the extra work and he has an amazing rebound season.

The hard part about this time is that we're a solid two months from ANY real info... and four months from pre-draft trades...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
You kinda went both ways on that. I am not a huge Goff fan, but a team can't keep giving out contracts like a billionaire at a high priced strip club and be a top team. If another team had as much dead cap as us we would be laughing our asses off.

*The New Orleans Saints have entered the chat*

Ram_fans_everywhere: LMFAO

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
There are a couple of things here.....

1. Watson has a no trade clause essentially he controls where he would like to go or at least has major input right?

2. If you keep Goff and don't improve or slightly improve the line Goff will still struggle because he is like a Brady or Brees (not talking credentials or stats) and needs to stand in the pocket.

3. Goff is just like Jim Everett in the way that now even at the slightest pressure he panics it takes time to rid your brain of that...to reset that clock and have that trust or a fresh start elsewhere could do that.

4. As an owner yes you best fire peoples asses if they have you hand out money and then you have to eat it. The caveat there is eating the money is terrible but are you still putting a winning product out there? Are you drafting well adding cheap talent? If your winning your making me money and still putting out a good to great product then maybe Stan can live with that. Once that formula fails then they all begin to be held accountable. That's where things change. That's where it sucks for everyone especially us fans. That said minus some contracts they have done well at everything else.

5. This is LA fans can be fickle but we host the Superbowl and we will eventually have fans in this stadium money will flow fans will pay especially if your winning. In LA what happens when the rams don't win fans don't show they can do 100 other things with that weather rather than watch a 3-13 team.

6. Mcvay or whomever is or was responsible for the extension his excuse is he inherited Goff not his choice for his offense and he can say I made a mistake I know a lot more now than I did then and I know we need a different style qb for me to have success.

7. Rams are hosting a Superbowl coming up I believe they have been always preparing for that moment and want the best chance possible to continue winning and possibly have the best possible team assembled for that year.

8. My belief is a wait and see approach but body language frustration just an overall look of doubt on mcvays face indicate that this situation could be coming to a head. If you have a chance at Watson or someone else it could be this regimes last hoorah but they take it. They have proven to be able to put a good team out there. They draft well with no first round picks. So if a couple of bad contracts dictate their fate then they seem like a so be it type group. The fact that they draft well make trades bring in the right guys mean they are doing there jobs well but nobody is perfect. It's a different world but its the equivalent of say a CEO making the owner a shit ton of money with some bad decisions along the line but in the end ownership is committed keeps the faith and gets rewarded for it. So Stan may not be thrilled but given the option of continuing to beat a dead horse or being a man and told "look this isn't going to work we need a different qb we effed up". This regime will live or die by the sword. It will be an interesting off season. Could be much about nothing could not... only time will tell.

You bring up a good point in #5.

I could see Kroenke wanting to make a MASSIVE splash and put a ton of resources into 2021 even if it means making it tough the next few years.

If the Packers beat the Bucs as I think they will, then we could be the first team to host a Super Bowl. With that prospect, I think the Rams will go ALL OUT.

The last thing I expect is a year where we maybe bring in Minshew and just sorta see how it goes.

I think this FO and ownership are gonna go all in like they know how to go all in.

Does that mean Watson? I dunno. What I feel confident about is that the opening of the new stadium to fans isn't gonna work with Goff being inconsistent and McVay being frustrated. Either the Rams are gonna KNOW how to improve Goff or they're gonna do something. I really feel this way. I don't think Kroenke invested $5B for the Rams to open the stadium to fans with a team that will be fortunate to go 9-7 based on how this year ended and the players we're likely to lose.

However it plays out, I agree that the Rams are gonna MAKE SURE as much as they can to open the stadium to fans with a BANG.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
You seem to think this is like the NBA and he can pick his team and Houston is going to bend over backwards to trade him where he wants. They will ask a premium for him and if they don't get it, they won't trade. They don't have to take anything they don't want. He will not be cheap!

Sure I would love to have Watson, but be realistic, we don't have what it would take to get him. It's just a pipe dream and no matter how many times I hit the bong, I don't see it happening. So you Please tell me what do we have to offer to acquire Watson? If they trade Watson they will go for a total rebuild wanting a very high draft pick and a handful of other good picks. What do we have to offer for a player of Watson's caliber and what would we have left after giving them what they want?

Actually, we kind of do have what we need.

We have players, a QB and picks in future years.

We COULD do it. Moreover, if Watson is willing to do a Trent Williams and sit out, then you trade him while the value is at its peak. The WFT could have gotten so much more if they'd just traded Williams, but no, they had to be the douche canoes they are and they screwed themselves.

If Watson is truly done... you just take the best deal you can get and move on.

If Watson wants to come to LA, you negotiate a fair deal and end it. OF COURSE Houston will try to convince Watson and his people to go other places with their plethora of picks, but at the end of the day, this is why teams don't give out no trade clauses... they literally lose all the power.

If Watson says, "LA or BUST"... the Texans can either trade or draft a rookie, leave Watson at home and get a ton less for him next year. Sounds stupid, so that's how it'll probably pan out...

Anyway, there are multiple resources that detail that the Texans and Rams can do this deal, presuming the Rams are interested.

If this deal doesn't happen, it won't be because "it can't be done", but rather that one or both chose sides chose not to.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Lol. Keep on keeping on Mac. The perception that his answer left the media speechless is without question false. But you do you.

We just never gonna agree on that, but no worries.

Whatever happens, happens. We'll still be cheering for the same helmets in 8 months...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If true, doesn’t it feel like a miscalculation to go public with statements that allude to that though? There is certainly not a 100% chance they can or will move on from Goff. The possibility of fracturing a relationship and potentially having a malcontent as the leader of the offense seems too great if you don’t get a deal done after making damning statements. This whole situation seems poorly handled right now

I agree with this.

I realize McVay was frustrated after the game.

However, to double down on that rather than smooth things over with a, "lemme be clear. I have every faith in Jared Goff. That said, we always compete and expect competition at every position and this off season will be no different"

Sure, folks could read into that, but it'd be a stretch.

Of all the times for McVay to forget how to coach-speak... this seems like an awful time. If they can't get done what they'd like to, this could really blow up in their faces.

It's why I think something's brewing... because McVay, Snead and Demoff have been far too composed and intentional thus far to just botch something so obvious as their starting QB's relationship with the HC/playcaller...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well I think you're asking a lot from us on specifics. We all thought we were cap strapped last year yet the Rams managed to sign Woods, Kupp, Ramsey, Robinson lol. So I don't think any of us know what our organization knows.

I think what we all do know is that trying to get out of a contract that you just signed is yet another swing and a miss. We can potentially add Goff to:
Tavon (cut I believe 2 years after his deal, which was an awful deal to begin with )
Ogletree (traded the year after extending)
Gurley (cut the year after extending , but with injuries)
Cooks (traded the year after extending but with injuries).

Our FO really needs to figure out this aspect of team building.

Every group has its shortfalls.

Belichick and Co can't draft WRs to save their lives...

We extend guys too early/too much.

As long as we're not in cap hell like the Saints... I'll trust the FO to keep this ball rolling...

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The OL werent the ones throwing the ball to the opposition. Goff is accountable for all of his turnovers which killed multiple games this season.
Not all his of his turnovers ... I mean there were probably more but one Bobby woods had the ball ripped out of his hands a few weeks ago .. not sure how you put that one on goff

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every group has its shortfalls.

Belichick and Co can't draft WRs to save their lives...

We extend guys too early/too much.

As long as we're not in cap hell like the Saints... I'll trust the FO to keep this ball rolling...
You're right on that. But you can fix poor scouting at a position pretty easily. Dead money is hard to maneuver.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
You're right on that. But you can fix poor scouting at a position pretty easily. Dead money is hard to maneuver.

If that were true, the Pats would have hit on ONE WR in 20 years. Look Back. Every receiver they've had worth a damn was a FA.

In 20 years, they've not drafted a single one that got a second contract, iirc, let alone excelled.

And in today's era, dead money is tough, but it's not impossible.

I dunno. Different orgs have different issues.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Whatever happens with Watson... PLEASE don't let him go to the fucking 49ers!!!!!!

Tano

Legend
Not all his of his turnovers ... I mean there were probably more but one Bobby woods had the ball ripped out of his hands a few weeks ago .. not sure how you put that one on goff
I am going to go thru all his picks and verify which one were 100% him and which one's were the line and which one's were not helped by the line where he had to throw faster than he wanted to.

I bet most of them were on the line but we shall see. I could be wrong.

And Loyal - yes I am a masochist

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If that were true, the Pats would have hit on ONE WR in 20 years. Look Back. Every receiver they've had worth a damn was a FA.

In 20 years, they've not drafted a single one that got a second contract, iirc, let alone excelled.

And in today's era, dead money is tough, but it's not impossible.

I dunno. Different orgs have different issues.
But they do find them. Welker, Edleman, Moss. Stilla short list lol but yeah as you said below, if Watson goes to the 9ers I'm gonna be distraught

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am going to go thru all his picks and verify which one were 100% him and which one's were the line and which one's were not helped by the line where he had to throw faster than he wanted to.

I bet most of them were on the line but we shall see. I could be wrong.

And Loyal - yes I am a masochist
The wrinkle here is what if Goff had time and the receiver ran the wrong route :ROFLMAO: . Or what if the line held up how long it was Intended to and no receiver got open forcing Goff to hold the ball. I don’t think this type of thing is possible to do with the limited information we have.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
You bring up a good point in #5.

I could see Kroenke wanting to make a MASSIVE splash and put a ton of resources into 2021 even if it means making it tough the next few years.

If the Packers beat the Bucs as I think they will, then we could be the first team to host a Super Bowl. With that prospect, I think the Rams will go ALL OUT.

The last thing I expect is a year where we maybe bring in Minshew and just sorta see how it goes.

I think this FO and ownership are gonna go all in like they know how to go all in.

Does that mean Watson? I dunno. What I feel confident about is that the opening of the new stadium to fans isn't gonna work with Goff being inconsistent and McVay being frustrated. Either the Rams are gonna KNOW how to improve Goff or they're gonna do something. I really feel this way. I don't think Kroenke invested $5B for the Rams to open the stadium to fans with a team that will be fortunate to go 9-7 based on how this year ended and the players we're likely to lose.

However it plays out, I agree that the Rams are gonna MAKE SURE as much as they can to open the stadium to fans with a BANG.

Could not agree more!!!!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
It's fun thinking about Deshaun.. but he ends up in either MIA or SF.

We don't have the draft capital or assets to pull it off.