The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff hasn't been good the last couple of years, but we have a lot invested in and he has talent. He has proven he can be good in the past, so he has it in him.

We need to find a good QB coach to guide him and make sure he puts in the work to be successful. He has been living in a swirl of controversy and his confidence level has got to be down.

Bite the bullet and invest a little in the OL.

If there is a QB in the draft that you really like and he falls to your position in the draft, take him.

If there is a good young QB on another roster that you are high on, see what it takes to get him.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's not a foregone conclusion but I have to agree...fix the OL and see what happens. If JG is still playing like it's 2019 and 2020 then we know the answer. If he looks more like he did in 2017 and 2018...we're in good shape.

You're correct in that it's not a foregone conclusion. But if the OL becomes a top 10 unit and he still can't get it done, then moving on from him is much easier in 2022 than in 2021.

That's why you fix the OL first. It either helps Goff next year, or it helps the guy who replaces him after next year.

Also, can we not trade away our #1 draft pick? The two we gave up for Ramsey were worth it to be sure, but I don't want to give up any more.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Can you trade for a player with similar salaries? Does that make them offset?

No

Hopefully someone with better cap knowledge chimes in with actual numbers or corrects me (if wrong - likely). Thought I saw his cap hit on a trade is much less ($35m ish) than the $65m ish on a cut. But to your question, there is no netting like you have with the NBA for example. What you bring in adds on top of the trade cap hit. That’s why you are better off just keeping him at least one more year. I’d keep him for his talent alone. But cap wise, it also is a no brainer to keep. Unless we have boatloads of space (which we obviously don’t).

Shuie3225

Starter
I kinda understand ppl wanting to move on from goff but when he has time in the pocket he"ll shred you and has proven it. Just give the man a good line and we'll be back in the top 5 on offense. We already have a guy who can go point for point with the best quarterbacks and win. I dont want to give that up for nothing.

Dont you think if it was that simple McVay would just do it? If all Goff needed was an improved line, wouldn't McVay know that best?

Dont you think theres a chance the guy who's spent time coaching him every single day for the past 4 years has more insight than everyone in this forum combined?

How many plays has Goff had a bad turnover, and the cause was his fault? Bad pre snap read, not going through progression, bad decision. How does an improved OL help these instances? The OL was not bad this year, it was much much better than 2019, however the passing offense looked exactly the same if not worse.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
All the bad said about Goff there is some good as well.
The thing that gets me is the dude has accomplishments and been to a Superbowl. So in regards to a Watson trade ok so Watson is more talented than Goff and some may debate that.

My question is when a Goff for Watson trade is proposed where do these pundit/people get off saying like Goff and 3 first rounders plus etc.

Love or hate Goff stat wise Goff has better stats ok Watson may be more talented but Goff is not a throw in. You get 2 or 3 first rounders if your get just picks and a marginal player.

I think we can all agree Goff is not marginal RT?
I wouldn't do a Goff and kill unless in brought back a bit more than Watson. Having given some thought I'd do a Goff and havenstein and some combination of picks for Watson.

I just hate how they make it like Goff is a toss in.

Tano

Legend
Dont you think if it was that simple McVay would just do it? If all Goff needed was an improved line, wouldn't McVay know that best?

Dont you think theres a chance the guy who's spent time coaching him every single day for the past 4 years has more insight than everyone in this forum combined?

How many plays has Goff had a bad turnover, and the cause was his fault? Bad pre snap read, not going through progression, bad decision. How does an improved OL help these instances? The OL was not bad this year, it was much much better than 2019, however the passing offense looked exactly the same if not worse.
IMO - it is that simple.

We had openings in other spots that McVay said let's go for those guys and work with what we have in the OL. We can make them better.

And .....

All of them played better except for Blythe who played average to below average. He especially was below average on short yardage situations (goal line almost all the time - very weak) and 3rd and long situations.

Unfortunately, one weak link brings the whole system crashing down and we didn't have a viable replacement for him that knew the system especially since Allen was hurt the entire year so we couldn't even try him out.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

You acting like mcvay can do no wrong. His neglect of the oline has proven that to be false. When he got here the first thing he did was upgrade the line. He needs to do that again and continue to make it top priority so his offense can be great again. His entire offense was built around a strong oline and when that went away the offense went downhill. That fact cant be denied.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I think you're asking a lot from us on specifics. We all thought we were cap strapped last year yet the Rams managed to sign Woods, Kupp, Ramsey, Robinson lol. So I don't think any of us know what our organization knows.

I think what we all do know is that trying to get out of a contract that you just signed is yet another swing and a miss. We can potentially add Goff to:
Tavon (cut I believe 2 years after his deal, which was an awful deal to begin with )
Ogletree (traded the year after extending)
Gurley (cut the year after extending , but with injuries)
Cooks (traded the year after extending but with injuries).

Our FO really needs to figure out this aspect of team building.
And in a similar vein, they trade 2nd rounder for Sammy Watkins, and he walked after 1 year, then traded a 1st rounder for Cooks, only to ditch him and that contract 2 seasons later

Ellard80

Legend
And in a similar vein, they trade 2nd rounder for Sammy Watkins, and he walked after 1 year, then traded a 1st rounder for Cooks, only to ditch him and that contract 2 seasons later

We have done a lot of good to be competitive.. but yeah some of our wheeling and dealing seems like it may not add up.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No

Hopefully someone with better cap knowledge chimes in with actual numbers or corrects me (if wrong - likely). Thought I saw his cap hit on a trade is much less ($35m ish) than the $65m ish on a cut. But to your question, there is no netting like you have with the NBA for example. What you bring in adds on top of the trade cap hit. That’s why you are better off just keeping him at least one more year. I’d keep him for his talent alone. But cap wise, it also is a no brainer to keep. Unless we have boatloads of space (which we obviously don’t).
Ah I see. Then I have no idea what they do. I did read that trading Goff post June 1 saves them 27 million. But idk

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. The Watkins one didn't bother me. He got paid more than I wanted to give him. But a long list of short sighted moves.

Rams77

Starter
You dont think McVay has been working with Goff on his pre-snap reads for 4 years now?? Pre-snap reads, post snap recognition, going through progressions. He's been teaching him these things for 4 full years now and they haven't improved at all. It's crazy to me that people still think he can develop that part of his game. IMO he doesn't have the mental ability to play QB at the level McVay wants. He still struggles with recognition and decision making, and going through progressions. He has all the arm talent in the world.. but after 5 years in the NFL, 4 years with McVay not only have these part of his games not developed, they have REGRESSED.

Thats why I'm not one who blames the OL. Last year the OL was bad and affected a lot, but this year they were actually much improved and a pretty average OL. Improving the OL does NOT help Goff read a defense. It doesn't help him know what he's seeing pre snap. It doesn't help him make the right decisions.

If we have seen slow steady improvement in these areas I would have more confidence. But McVay simplifies Goff's reads by giving him boot leg roll outs. But guess what the NFL figured that out and starts having an edge rusher stay home to guard our boot leg on EVERY PLAY. Look at GB, we tried two boot legs and both Goff had an immediate rusher in his face. Defenses are forcing Goff to sit in the pocket, read a defense, and make the right decision.. And he cannot do this well enough for a $35M QB who has been in the NFL for 5 years.
[/QUOTE
I thought he did sit in the pocket pretty well on Saturday-dont u? He was 18-20 at one point with 150 pass yards 1 TD with 0 turnovers. Given his thumb, the weather and shaky OLine play he played very well. He needs to be more consistent and move around the pocket better to buy extra time and make the right read more often but I think the 26 year old QB is still a winner. You cant give up on him-no way

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Accurate but not complete.

They got a third round comp pick when Watkins signed with K.C.

They got a second round pick from Houston for Cooks.

So the net for Watkins was a #2 for one year of Watkins and a #3.

The net for Cooks was a #1 for two years of Cooks and a #2.

None of these picks were high in any of the rounds.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Whatever happens here's hoping Snead doesn't trade our 2022 first rounder. I'd really like to have one offseason where I can watch the first round and enjoy a high round selection.

Memphis Ram

Legend
"You say you got a real solution... Well, you know... we'd all love to see the plan."
- John Lennon

If you think the Rams should move on from Jared Goff, so be it... but what's your plan.

BE SPECIFIC!

If you'd cut him... what is your plan for the QB position (particularly with a small island nation's GDP in dead money)?

If you'd trade him... describe the trade and tell us why you think the other team would make the deal.

If you'd bench him... who is your starter? John Wolford? Blake Bortles? A veteran FA? A Day 2 draft pick?

I'll give it a try.

I'd try to trade him to Indy, New England, or maybe even Chicago (whose lameduck GM/Coach can't wait for a rookie) for a 2nd round pick in 2021 and a conditional pick in 2022.

I believe that one of these teams would do the deal due to the need at the position and their draft position not being high enough to obtain one of the top rated rookies in a very questionable QB draft class despite the early hype.

The Rams would then have $22.2 Million in dead money in 2021, but free $12.4 million in 2021 salary cap space. Goff will count about $25 million against his new teams salary cap, IF they didn't restructure his contact.

I'd then trade WR Cooper Kupp to Jacksonville for QB Gardner Minshew (who is still on his rookie contract) and a draft choice. Then I would have a QB competition between Minshew, Wolford, Perkins, and/or another draft pick who better fits what McVay wants at QB. Kupp gives his new team's new #1 overall pick a great security blanket while the Rams save $10 million in cap space. I'd then try to use these savings for a veteran OLineman.

Robert Woods, Van Jefferson, and a rookie speedster would be my WR core along with Nsimba Webster and perhaps another cheaper veteran pickup or rookie.

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd feel a lot better with Goff vs Minshew in camp. Or Goff vs <insert decent vet here>. Not sure they can pull that off though. Minshew is one of few options that actually is affordable cap-wise.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Lol, you guys are being played and ya don’t even know it.

Goff ain’t going anywhere, pretty sure McVay is trying to get his attention to maybe spend more time in the film room or whatever it is he needs to do, let him bring in competition, it’s a good thing

Thats my final and only comment, time will reveal

Out