The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
We'll see what happens. If we do get rid of Goff, I'm hoping for one of Sam Howell or Desmond Ridder next year; I doubt we get rid of Goff this year.

And before anyone says, "Deshaun Watson", I'll say, "In your fuckin' dreams."

Someone said that to me about Jalen Ramsey as well...

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Someone said that to me about Jalen Ramsey as well...

The difference is that we had first round picks to trade and we currently have an established quarterback who will have a bunch of dead money to accelerate into the cap if we trade/cut him. Even if Watson waives his no-trade clause, we're going to lose a whole hell of a lot more than Goff. We're already up against the cap, we're already going to have to cut/trade Robinson. You want to lose Darious Williams? What about Tyler Higbee?

Would I trade Goff for Watson? Hell, yeah, I would, but it's simply not feasible with our cap situation the way it is, and it'll cost more than Ramsey did (Watson's a star quarterback; they don't come cheap), more than we can reasonably give.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Screenshot_20210118-132522.png

KayJay

Starter
Alright, I'm ready to sound the alarm now. I'm of the mind that if there's enough smoke, there's a fire. The trade rumors might be true. What's more is, the rumors of Sean arguing with others might also be true.

Sean has done enough to earn my trust. I'm behind him 100%. But do not be surprised if we trade Goff, and he begins to thrive like Kirk Cousins did.

If there's doubt in Goff's abilities, I now have doubt in McVays offense and play calling.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Alright, I'm ready to sound the alarm now. I'm of the mind that if there's enough smoke, there's a fire. The trade rumors might be true. What's more is, the rumors of Sean arguing with others might also be true.

Sean has done enough to earn my trust. I'm behind him 100%. But do not be surprised if we trade Goff, and he begins to thrive like Kirk Cousins did.

If there's doubt in Goff's abilities, I now have doubt in McVays offense and play calling.
Sean arguing?

Bearrister

Rookie

Totally agree. It’s one thing to damn Goff with faint praise during the postgame news conference (the “QB right now” comment) and leave open the question whether Goff is your starter next year. It’s another thing to publicly leave open the question whether Goff will even be on the roster. It’s pretty clear McVay and the FO will do everything they can to move on from Goff - the only question is whether they’ll actually be able to do it.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Totally agree. It’s one thing to damn Goff with faint praise during the postgame news conference (the “QB right now” comment) and leave open the question whether Goff is your starter next year. It’s another thing to publicly leave open the question whether Goff will even be on the roster. It’s pretty clear McVay and the FO will do everything they can to move on from Goff - the only question is whether they’ll actually be able to do it.
If true, doesn’t it feel like a miscalculation to go public with statements that allude to that though? There is certainly not a 100% chance they can or will move on from Goff. The possibility of fracturing a relationship and potentially having a malcontent as the leader of the offense seems too great if you don’t get a deal done after making damning statements. This whole situation seems poorly handled right now

Liberator

Pro Bowler
I just found the whole thing odd and interesting at the same time. When you look at the season as a whole, primarily on the offensive side of the ball, and you couple that with McVay's recent comments you really can't blame people for thinking some crazy shit is going to happen this offseason.

They tried to make it as easy as they could for Goff and he still fucked up with turnovers more often then not lol.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I doubt we get rid of Goff this year.
I agree. The only way it would make sense is if McVay feels like Goff's regressions cannot be fixed. Or that McVay feels like Goff can't get him to the dance. It's hard to imagine him feeling either of those two ways.

IMO he will make sure Jared has competition. And for me personally whether he gets competition or not for Jared I think Jared will win the job. So out of all this craziness the end result will be a focused QB.

Also. I think there is a high chance we see a new QBs coach. Goff's regression in protections and anticipating the blitz this season were atrocious. His initial rise IMO had a lot to do with McVay's initial QB coach hire who McVay let go to the Raiders for a better job. Greg Olsen is known for his protections expertise. I expect he will fire Waldron's underperforming ass (the passing game has sucked ass for 2 years now) and add a QB coach who can get Goff up to snuff on his pre-snap reads.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The more I see of McVay, the less I like. He was great when his scheme - which is heavy on pre-snap motion - was novel and defences had yet to figure it out. Since then we have been stagnant and inconsistent, with seemingly little innovation or ability to adapt on offence. All marks of mediocre coaching and/or preparation. His play calling is very questionable at times. His timeout usage is atrocious. His personnel usage does not always make sense.

I still like McVay. But I view him as nothing more than a good coach. He's not a great coach. I'd much rather Kyle Shanahan, and that's in our own division alone. I am getting more and more concerned that McVay is/was reading way too much of his own early press early, letting his head get too big as his "coaching tree" ever expands, and now is seeking complete control over things and blaming others for his shortcomings.

We better be darn sure Goff is not they guy before we move off him. And we better have a good plan in place. The dude is young, a solid starting QB, and wins game. Teams can easily take 10+ years to find that. And unless we plan on being a basement dweller again, I am not sure how feasible an upgrade is... top QBs rarely if ever hit the trade market or free agency.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know trading Goff will be hard but if a coach is asked if his 35 million dollar qb will be on the roster next year and he replies "it's too early to know. I have to look at everything", that tells me that they certainly feel that it's possible.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
"You say you got a real solution... Well, you know... we'd all love to see the plan."
- John Lennon

If you think the Rams should move on from Jared Goff, so be it... but what's your plan.

BE SPECIFIC!

If you'd cut him... what is your plan for the QB position (particularly with a small island nation's GDP in dead money)?

If you'd trade him... describe the trade and tell us why you think the other team would make the deal.

If you'd bench him... who is your starter? John Wolford? Blake Bortles? A veteran FA? A Day 2 draft pick?

Bearrister

Rookie
If true, doesn’t it feel like a miscalculation to go public with statements that allude to that though? There is certainly not a 100% chance they can or will move on from Goff. The possibility of fracturing a relationship and potentially having a malcontent as the leader of the offense seems too great if you don’t get a deal done after making damning statements. This whole situation seems poorly handled right now

Yeah I don’t get it either. I don’t see the benefit of making this public - it can only lower your trade leverage if that’s what you’re trying to do, with the downside that you mentioned if it doesn’t work out.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
They won't trade him and they won't cut him. He's a resource whose value is low right now which doesn't lend itself well to trades and big moves.

People fear right now what happened with Gurley and Cooks but Goff is different. There were things affecting him downstream of protections but all his issues relate back to his protection reads IMO.

McVay will make moves on his staff to try to fix that. And he'll bring in competition so that if Goff doesn't rebound he's got options.

Shuie3225

Starter
add a QB coach who can get Goff up to snuff on his pre-snap reads.

You dont think McVay has been working with Goff on his pre-snap reads for 4 years now?? Pre-snap reads, post snap recognition, going through progressions. He's been teaching him these things for 4 full years now and they haven't improved at all. It's crazy to me that people still think he can develop that part of his game. IMO he doesn't have the mental ability to play QB at the level McVay wants. He still struggles with recognition and decision making, and going through progressions. He has all the arm talent in the world.. but after 5 years in the NFL, 4 years with McVay not only have these part of his games not developed, they have REGRESSED.

Thats why I'm not one who blames the OL. Last year the OL was bad and affected a lot, but this year they were actually much improved and a pretty average OL. Improving the OL does NOT help Goff read a defense. It doesn't help him know what he's seeing pre snap. It doesn't help him make the right decisions.

If we have seen slow steady improvement in these areas I would have more confidence. But McVay simplifies Goff's reads by giving him boot leg roll outs. But guess what the NFL figured that out and starts having an edge rusher stay home to guard our boot leg on EVERY PLAY. Look at GB, we tried two boot legs and both Goff had an immediate rusher in his face. Defenses are forcing Goff to sit in the pocket, read a defense, and make the right decision.. And he cannot do this well enough for a $35M QB who has been in the NFL for 5 years.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'm no cap guru but if Goff wants to stay beyond next year he needs to agree to a team/cap friendly contract restructuring which will allow a proven, plus starter at center to be acquired during this upcoming FA period along with some insurance depth on the OL.

Woodsie, Kuppster, and VanJef will be a top ten wr group.

Hig is an above average TE and expecting the rookie TE to replace Everett's uneven production seems feasible.

Akers/Hendo provide plenty of firepower at RB.

TexasRam

Legend
Goff just posted a 105 QB rating 2 weeks after thumb surgery with the weakest interior Oline in the NFL and missing his top WR.

Facts.

My plan is to keep Goff, address the Oline and watch them return to 32ppg.