The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You dont think McVay has been working with Goff on his pre-snap reads for 4 years now?? Pre-snap reads, post snap recognition, going through progressions.
I don't know what McVay does with his time through the week. But I do know he's involved in all phases of the Rams' gameplan. So he's not gonna have time to interact with individual players on a day to day basis like the positional coaches.

Those positional coaches and coordinators get paid to do a job. What I think right now is that McVay has spent an entire season getting his ass BBQd over the offense and so has Goff. The offseason is where that moves to the guys who are interacting with those players who fell short and when you're a QB coach and you have a QB as talented as Goff regress like he did... Pack your bags.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Goff just posted a 105 QB rating 2 weeks after thumb surgery with the weakest interior Oline in the NFL and missing his top WR.

Facts.

My plan is to keep Goff, address the Oline and watch them return to 32ppg.

It's not a foregone conclusion but I have to agree...fix the OL and see what happens. If JG is still playing like it's 2019 and 2020 then we know the answer. If he looks more like he did in 2017 and 2018...we're in good shape.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I love how people throw that around like it's an insult, Rodgers as you said does that to everybody. Though Goff against Rodgers was better than a lot of the other QB's this weekend who won and lost.
That was not meant as an insult, it was meant to show what a great QB looks like. People saying Goff had a great game Saturday is BS.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Draft or bring in a QB to add compitition for Goff. Strengthening the OL and another WR that can stretch the field would also be a big help to Goff. I'd like to see Watson signed but am sure Rams can;t afford afford him.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I think you're asking a lot from us on specifics. We all thought we were cap strapped last year yet the Rams managed to sign Woods, Kupp, Ramsey, Robinson lol. So I don't think any of us know what our organization knows.

I think what we all do know is that trying to get out of a contract that you just signed is yet another swing and a miss. We can potentially add Goff to:
Tavon (cut I believe 2 years after his deal, which was an awful deal to begin with )
Ogletree (traded the year after extending)
Gurley (cut the year after extending , but with injuries)
Cooks (traded the year after extending but with injuries).

Our FO really needs to figure out this aspect of team building.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Can you imagine if he had a 50% completion and below 5 ypa my goodness this forum would explode. And that's with both teams having a running game one of which has Kamara and Michael Thomas two of the top few at each position.

are you sure that the world is not ending for some of those fans. i would think that more than a few nalins fans are calling for breezes and paytons heads right now. but according to you ram fans that question anything with the rams are worse than other teams fans. i suppose you are right and anyone that disagrees with you is surely wrong

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
There is no room in the cap (cut or trade) that allows any money to be spent on another QB. Maybe after next season at best. So it’s either Goff or some extremely cheap QB - meaning wolford, Perkins or a rookie draft pick. Vet/Retreads at a low cap price won’t be any better than Goff. If Perkins was so highly thought of, he wouldn’t have been on PS for anyone to steal all season. So it’s likely Goff vs Wolford...if McVay wants completion next year.
Best for all parties is that Goff has a good season next year and either stays LT or can be traded for some value and allow McVay to have “his guy”.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no room in the cap (cut or trade) that allows any money to be spent on another QB. Maybe after next season at best. So it’s either Goff or some extremely cheap QB - meaning wolford, Perkins or a rookie draft pick. Vet/Retreads at a low cap price won’t be any better than Goff. If Perkins was so highly thought of, he wouldn’t have been on PS for anyone to steal all season. So it’s likely Goff vs Wolford...if McVay wants completion next year.
Best for all parties is that Goff has a good season next year and either stays LT or can be traded for some value and allow McVay to have “his guy”.
Can you trade for a player with similar salaries? Does that make them offset?

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
You can always.... Skip the thread
I’m just saying that all of these Goff threads could be 1 thread. No need to have the entire front page of RoD be Goff threads. This same discourse is already taking place in two other threads. I have no problem with y’all battling it out ;)

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I get that the general topic of Goff is a well worn path. My intent is to focus on a specific aspect - Plan B - not to debate Goff’s merits.
I can get behind that :beer2:

Unfortunately we know where this thread will go, good intentions or not...

BTW I have no plan B lol I wouldn’t even know where to start. I’m not nearly informed enough :hiding:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
You can’t move on from Goff. I would but there is no reasonable plan.

The thing to do is build a better line. Goff is still a good QB but you have to build your team around it. Give him time and he can deliver.

Every successful QB has a coach that coaches to their strengths. Buffalo got Diggs, Baltimore changed their entire offense, Arizona got Hopkins and this goes on and on.

It gets harder when QBs enter the 2nd contract though, which is why if I was building a team I make sure my QB can live up to the 2nd contract cuz you have to cut 15-20M dollars in salary to pay him. So oline, WR, TE or even defense has to take a haircut.

Why do some like Wolford? He is cheap and you could build a great oline and solidify your defense because he is on a rookie deal. The Rams loaded up when Goff was on the rookie deal and got them to a SB. It’s quite simple. It gets tough when you have a pay a guy 20 plus mill and he can’t make plays on his own.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m just saying that all of these Goff threads could be 1 thread. No need to have the entire front page of RoD be Goff threads. This same discourse is already taking place in two other threads. I have no problem with y’all battling it out ;)
Meh. It's officially the off-season. There won't be much to talk about. Mods will merge threads if they feel they're too redundant. It's definitely gonna be a long off-season

ramsplaya16

The One and Only
I absolutely wouldn’t cut him. But would sign a QB that could push him a little. Like Fitzpatrick, tyrod Taylor, Jameis Winston etc . Or try to trade for Darnold if the jets moved on...I think the rams have to draft a QB by round 3 latest this year and attempt to develop him

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles
Goff just posted a 105 QB rating 2 weeks after thumb surgery with the weakest interior Oline in the NFL and missing his top WR.

Facts.

My plan is to keep Goff, address the Oline and watch them return to 32ppg.
I kinda understand ppl wanting to move on from goff but when he has time in the pocket he"ll shred you and has proven it. Just give the man a good line and we'll be back in the top 5 on offense. We already have a guy who can go point for point with the best quarterbacks and win. I dont want to give that up for nothing.