The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
People forget McVay didn't draft Goff.
Nobody forgets that. But McVay did extend him.... (and we know how that worked out for Gurley and Cooks)

Still and all, as much as I support Goff and McVay, this whole sitch is feeling a lot like '18 when everything seemed fine and dandy until CJ Anderson comes in off the street and posts monster numbers. Next thing you know, McVay aint talking about Gurley, says everything is fine when it clearly isnt. This whole Wolford coming in a being fun to watch really gives off that CJ vibe where McVay turned on a dime for his shiny new toy.
I hope I'm wrong, or right if it all turns out good

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rodgers out classes everyone right now
I love how people throw that around like it's an insult, Rodgers as you said does that to everybody. Though Goff against Rodgers was better than a lot of the other QB's this weekend who won and lost.

Tano

Legend
I have seen it and the rest of the last two years. Goff is not a great QB, he has had some games where he is balling but he’s also had games that show he will never carry a team.

He was not great Saturday, Rodgers completely out classed him.
Rodgers had 3 to 4 seconds to pass on almost every pass play where he didn't throw it right away to his first read, whereas Goff had at most 2 to 3 seconds to pass in the same circumstances.

That extra second helps a hell of a lot on those types of plays.

Goff got sack 4 times, had a few balls tipped and a few throw aways due to the pressure. Rodgers is a HOF QB but I think he would have only been a slightly bit better if in Goff's shoes. I haven't rewatched it on the ALL 22 yet but I am fairly positive that Goff did as well as most anyone in those circumstances (including Brady Brees etc). The only ones who possibly could have done better in those same circumstances imho would have been Mahomes Rodgers Allen Watson and probably Wilson and I am not 100% positive after watching their games.

…..

Legend
Though Goff against Rodgers was better than a lot of the other QB's this weekend who won and lost.

I specifically came in here to post that we are all talking about the most accurate QB in all games this past weekend. Of all 8 QB’s, Goff had the highest completion percentage and no turnovers.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I specifically came in here to post that we are all talking about the most accurate QB in all games this past weekend. Of all 8 QB’s, Goff had the highest completion percentage and no turnovers.
With a fucked up thumb nonetheless

Ellard80

Legend
Rodgers out classes everyone right now

plus to be honest... outside a couple plays.. it wasn't really rodgers that beat us so much.

They ran the ball all over us and we got no pass rush - mitch trubisky might have beaten us with that combination.

TXRams86

The Infamous
plus to be honest... outside a couple plays.. it wasn't really rodgers that beat us so much.

They ran the ball all over us and we got no pass rush - mitch trubisky might have beaten us with that combination.
Put some respect on his name, that's NVP Mitch Trubiski.
EradVhpWMAAAghp.jpg

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Because it didnt happen. The presser was over. "Can we let Bill in for one last one and then we'll wrap up with him please?" McVay didnt even respond yet when Bill hammered his question in, "Did Jared prove anything to you today?" And McVay then speaks glowingly about Goff (at least as much as he can considering how disappointed the outcome was)
There was no leaving anyone speechless, no mike drop. His spot was over. Way over.

So every reporter who heard it and many fans who independently commented on it are all deluded because you see it differently?

Okay...whatever.

Guess what. Still gonna be talking about this all off/season because your perception isn’t shared.

Ellard80

Legend
So every reporter who heard it and many fans who independently commented on it are all deluded because you see it differently?

Okay...whatever.

Guess what. Still gonna be talking about this all off/season because your perception isn’t shared.

no need to argue anymore mac.... they asked mcvay if he said "right now" in the presser and he didn't deny it... then went on to say how every position is open for competition next year - which pretty much is another way of saying "right now" also.

TXRams86

The Infamous
I listened to the presser that was posted yesterday on the official Rams site and I had a few interesting take aways, not specifically about Goff himself.

It was pretty evident that McVay was less than impressed with the offense as a whole this season. He brought up the lack of explosive plays and how that forced us to sustain long 10-15 play drives down the field. The margin for error on these types of drives is a lot lower than drives where you can get chunks of yards at a time; this makes a ton of sense from a statistical standpoint. He also said that our offense has historically shown that it is capable of producing those explosive plays and that he wasn't satisfied with essentially having to play a dink and dunk type of offense. Interesting.

Ok so what does that mean in the grand scheme of things? That's a pretty complex question to answer but I think that some of the things we heard throughout the season were pretty telling; specifically this part coming from Jourdan Rodrigue: "The Rams re-worked their offense this season to operate more efficiently. They wanted to minimize low-probability air-yards plays downfield, have lots of low concepts for high-efficiency plays and minimize turnovers. That's all they are asking for, is to not turn the ball over." Mind you this came during our game at Seattle where Goff threw that terrible interception. If the offense was reimagined to operate as Jourdan says above, then this seems to go against what McVay truly believes the offense is capable of. Why the disparity there? Again, I don't want to speculate because there are numerous factors that affect the offensive unit as a whole, QB aside.

I just found the whole thing odd and interesting at the same time. When you look at the season as a whole, primarily on the offensive side of the ball, and you couple that with McVay's recent comments you really can't blame people for thinking some crazy shit is going to happen this offseason.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I listened to the presser that was posted yesterday on the official Rams site and I had a few interesting take aways, not specifically about Goff himself.

It was pretty evident that McVay was less than impressed with the offense as a whole this season. He brought up the lack of explosive plays and how that forced us to sustain long 10-15 play drives down the field. The margin for error on these types of drives is a lot lower than drives where you can get chunks of yards at a time; this makes a ton of sense from a statistical standpoint. He also said that our offense has historically shown that it is capable of producing those explosive plays and that he wasn't satisfied with essentially having to play a dink and dunk type of offense. Interesting.

Ok so what does that mean in the grand scheme of things? That's a pretty complex question to answer but I think that some of the things we heard throughout the season were pretty telling; specifically this part coming from Jourdan Rodrigue: "The Rams re-worked their offense this season to operate more efficiently. They wanted to minimize low-probability air-yards plays downfield, have lots of low concepts for high-efficiency plays and minimize turnovers. That's all they are asking for, is to not turn the ball over." Mind you this came during our game at Seattle where Goff threw that terrible interception. If the offense was reimagined to operate as Jourdan says above, then this seems to go against what McVay truly believes the offense is capable of. Why the disparity there? Again, I don't want to speculate because there are numerous factors that affect the offensive unit as a whole, QB aside.

I just found the whole thing odd and interesting at the same time. When you look at the season as a whole, primarily on the offensive side of the ball, and you couple that with McVay's recent comments you really can't blame people for thinking some crazy shit is going to happen this offseason.

Makes you wonder if they wanted to revamp it and play more efficiently and try to do less to not turn the ball over because lack of trust McVay started to get with Goff last season and into this season.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Makes you wonder if they wanted to revamp it and play more efficiently and try to do less to not turn the ball over because lack of trust McVay started to get with Goff last season and into this season.
I think that's a fair take, his interception numbers did climb from 2017 quite considerably in years 2018 and 2019. But he said himself that an offense with little to no explosive plays is going to leave itself susceptible to a very low margin for error. It's a catch 22 right? Play conservative on offense, have to play mistake free football for 10-15 play drives at a time vs trying to go for explosive plays and leaving your QB out to dry with a less than stellar pass blocking offensive line. Both of those leave huge opportunities for turnovers, be it interceptions or fumbles.

Tano

Legend
I think that's a fair take, his interception numbers did climb from 2017 quite considerably in years 2018 and 2019. But he said himself that an offense with little to no explosive plays is going to leave itself susceptible to a very low margin for error. It's a catch 22 right? Play conservative on offense, have to play mistake free football for 10-15 play drives at a time vs trying to go for explosive plays and leaving your QB out to dry with a less than stellar pass blocking offensive line. Both of those leave huge opportunities for turnovers, be it interceptions or fumbles.
Or even dropped passes stalling drives (Reynolds ... Everett arggghhhh)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol. Keep on keeping on Mac. The perception that his answer left the media speechless is without question false. But you do you.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Or even dropped passes stalling drives (Reynolds ... Everett arggghhhh)
I'd love a reality where McVay came out and said "we've decided not to extend Josh Reynolds and Gerald Everett right off the bat, we KNOW they don't fit this offense going forward." Lol but no way in hell that happens but I'd be SHOCKED if they aren't two of the first to get notified they aren't returning.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know that there is a bunch of behinds the scenes talk, but still...
The league year doesnt commence for weeks, no official trade talks can even happen. I think if Houston hires Bienemy, Watson stays. If they dont, then get the popcorn ready
I'm feeling this as well. Part of me hopes they hire someone he 'disapproves' off, just for the comedy of it all.

SoCalRam78

Pro Bowler
Name
SoCalRam78
McVay is frustrated because his former assistant torched him Saturday for close to 500 yards and because of the season as a whole from the offensive side of the ball.

Rams were 22nd in points scored they're not getting back to the super bowl with those offensive numbers. They were 10th in yards on offense.

They don't make enough plays in the passing game anymore. There's no verticality to the passing game, no chunk plays. Lot of conservative routes that aren't fooling defenses anymore. Blame Goff, the line, McVay, it's not good enough.

A lot of that is boiling over.