The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wonder how much of this conversation boils down to how Mcvay played the position himself.

Sean was never a pocket passer. He had the running ability + vision, IQ, etc.

But I wonder if his natural vision of 'his' offense is starting to really collide with Goff's ability.

Not too mention the way the modern game is being played. (I'd point at that right now both Lamar Jackson and Mahomes have been knocked out of their games due to concussions.) There are negatives to playing the game with that running game QB.

Goff could not and will never have the ability to play the game the way Mcvay played. I just wonder how much that has influence on Mcvay.
You make an interesting point there AJ. That may be a factor here, basically the question of what does McVay want and it could be a growth thing for him (this is a guy who is cutting edge on league trends) where he realizes hey this is the direction things are going and what we need.

I would like to hear one of these idiot press types ask him to quantify what he prioritizes in a QB. Would love to hear his rankings on those things.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
The packers didn't seem to have any problems scoring points.

That says way more about how our defense and Green Bay's Oline played than it does about any QB.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
With exactly what cap would we sign Dak LOLOLOL And no thanks to him let alone thinking he'd get a prove it deal.

As we all know and have seen there are always way to free and open up money. That said it was more of a joke. That said realistically I would want Watson very badly but would take Prescott. It will take the same money if not close to produce an offensive line that will keep Goff clean effective and even then we still need to hope he can reset his trust and mental clock. Someone somewhere maybe fox mentioned how they spoke with Goff and he said when we win everyone else gets the credit and when we lose o get the blame (I'm paraphrasing) however true that is that is a huge comment. It's getting to him. He may be great but right now he broken mentally that's obvious.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As we all know and have seen there are always way to free and open up money. That said it was more of a joke. That said realistically I would want Watson very badly but would take Prescott. It will take the same money if not close to produce an offensive line that will keep Goff clean effective and even then we still need to hope he can reset his trust and mental clock. Someone somewhere maybe fox mentioned how they spoke with Goff and he said when we win everyone else gets the credit and when we lose o get the blame (I'm paraphrasing) however true that is that is a huge comment. It's getting to him. He may be great but right now he broken mentally that's obvious.
I agree it can be manipulated but yeah Dak signed the free agent tender and with going out he's not likely to accept much less to sign so $30 million is a bit much for manipulation :D

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I agree it can be manipulated but yeah Dak signed the free agent tender and with going out he's not likely to accept much less to sign so $30 million is a bit much for manipulation :D

Different p.o.v. if your the cowgirls with your pick is it worth it to sign Dak there o-line might not be good not sure who remains who they losing who is or was injured but if the line is still solid wouldn't you just go for a young qb keep daulton and not spend the 30-40 million. Especially off the injury.

Shuie3225

Starter
You make an interesting point there AJ. That may be a factor here, basically the question of what does McVay want and it could be a growth thing for him (this is a guy who is cutting edge on league trends) where he realizes hey this is the direction things are going and what we need.

I would like to hear one of these idiot press types ask him to quantify what he prioritizes in a QB. Would love to hear his rankings on those things.

We'll never know exactly what skills McVay wants in a QB until he drafts one or signs a FA. But if/when he drafts a QB that will tell us a lot. People forget McVay didn't draft Goff. I personally think McVay wants someone more cerebral. The inexplicable decisions and turnovers by Goff have to drive him crazy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Different p.o.v. if your the cowgirls with your pick is it worth it to sign Dak there o-line might not be good not sure who remains who they losing who is or was injured but if the line is still solid wouldn't you just go for a young qb keep daulton and not spend the 30-40 million. Especially off the injury.
I get it don't get me wrong. But who else needs a QB and has money? Lots and lots of teams can use Dak and have cap space, he'll get his cash don't doubt that.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
If only our offensive line (or lack thereof) was criticized to the level of our starting QB. It's no coincidence that the offense took a nosedive after the departure of Saffold and Sullivan-- not to mention a quickly declining Gurley, and a one trick pony as a deep threat that couldn't stay healthy.

We have Goff tied up for the next few years. Why not invest in positions that would help any QB? Whether Goff is the guy or not, I don't think we're as good as we were in 2018 with anybody behind center as long as the two Austin's are still there to allow pressure up through the middle.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We'll never know exactly what skills McVay wants in a QB until he drafts one or signs a FA. But if/when he drafts a QB that will tell us a lot. People forget McVay didn't draft Goff. I personally think McVay wants someone more cerebral. The inexplicable decisions and turnovers by Goff have to drive him crazy.
His QB choices to date (guys he's brought in) are Bortles, Wolford, and Perkins. Bortles is interesting in that he's the opposite of cerebral. Wolford is though and maybe Perkins. Either way the one thing they all do have in common is mobility.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm listening to the new Mcvay presser now. The biggest take for me:

He was asked "is there any way that you can see Jared not on this roster next year?"\

Mcvay: Well like I said we're evaluating everything and I can't really answer those questions until I step back and evaluate everything".

WOW (link below. Time stamp is 11:20)

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I get it don't get me wrong. But who else needs a QB and has money? Lots and lots of teams can use Dak and have cap space, he'll get his cash don't doubt that.

True just wanted your take. I don't know what the cap will be in assuming it will remain the same. Washington? The Jets? (They definitely have the money and what a bonus to have all those picks and not use them on a qb. I'd probably run a team into the ground but if I were I'm charge of the jets opportunity like this doesn't present itself often assuming the cowgirls do not franchise him. The jets get a qb have plenty of money left to build and then all those picks. Talk about riches lol

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True just wanted your take. I don't know what the cap will be in assuming it will remain the same. Washington? The Jets? (They definitely have the money and what a bonus to have all those picks and not use them on a qb. I'd probably run a team into the ground but if I were I'm charge of the jets opportunity like this doesn't present itself often assuming the cowgirls do not franchise him. The jets get a qb have plenty of money left to build and then all those picks. Talk about riches lol
Jets is an interesting option honestly and hadn't thought about it. You added a beast at LT last year with Becton so you're good there but you have 2 first round picks. Your biggest issues are a lack of playemakers. You can trade down a few spots in the 1st to a team wanting that 2nd QB get say Detroit if they move on from Stafford with a new coach or Carolina (more likely IMO) and with the #8 pick say you add a WR like Chase or Smith or even and Edge to establish your D like Paye or Rousseau even a CB. Then at 23 you add a RB like Etienne or Harris. Follow that up with the picks you trade down or your 2nd round pick with shoring up the OLine and you've set up Saleh with a damn good team. Imagine him with the existing D and adding a guy like Paye Parsons or another top edge at that point.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Why not invest in positions that would help any QB? Whether Goff is the guy or not, I don't think we're as good as we were in 2018 with anybody behind center as long as the two Austin's are still there to allow pressure up through the middle.
I think this is the right approach, get that offensive line shored up regardless of who is in at QB next year. How do we go about it though? The draft is a crap shoot and developing o-line talent hasn’t necessarily been this team’s strong suit. There isn’t a ton of options in free agency and we have other holes to fill as well. The only thing I hope for is that we don’t invest so heavily on the defensive side of the ball if McVay isn’t satisfied in the offense.

Shuie3225

Starter

He was asked "is there any way that you can see Jared not on this roster next year?"\

Mcvay: Well like I said we're evaluating everything and I can't really answer those questions until I step back and evaluate everything".

Thats pretty crazy tbh holy shit. It went from yesterday him not committing to Goff being the starter next year, to literally one day later not even commiting to him being on the roster next year. Wow wow wow. And people thought this was nothing? He must have been more furious with Goffs play this year than we even imagined. Just ironic because Goff played a couple of gutsy playoff games injured.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thats pretty crazy tbh holy shit. It went from yesterday him not committing to Goff being the starter next year, to literally one day later not even commiting to him being on the roster next year. Wow wow wow. And people thought this was nothing? He must have been more furious with Goffs play this year than we even imagined. Just ironic because Goff played a couple of gutsy playoff games injured.
Starting to feel like they just really aren't on the same page anymore

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
That says a lot about the Rams on both sides of the ball. If Goff was having a great game why didn’t they score more. If Goff was having a great game he would have picked that defense apart regardless of TOP.

Too many homers giving him praise for playing hurt and saying that equals a great game.

Having a great game means you dominate the game. It does not mean you played average in spite of an injury.
Watch the game bud.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you say so man. I made my point clear. If you are confident Goff is your qb then say it

As for Watson. The texans don't have complete say. Watson has a no trade clause that only he can waive. They have to take whatever team he agrees to. Any my guess is that he won't want to go to a team that will be high picks in the future

You seem to think this is like the NBA and he can pick his team and Houston is going to bend over backwards to trade him where he wants. They will ask a premium for him and if they don't get it, they won't trade. They don't have to take anything they don't want. He will not be cheap!

Sure I would love to have Watson, but be realistic, we don't have what it would take to get him. It's just a pipe dream and no matter how many times I hit the bong, I don't see it happening. So you Please tell me what do we have to offer to acquire Watson? If they trade Watson they will go for a total rebuild wanting a very high draft pick and a handful of other good picks. What do we have to offer for a player of Watson's caliber and what would we have left after giving them what they want?

JRobinson

MiLB

I mean, I bashed Goff a ton this season and still feel it was warranted. But if this right here holds any water.... jeez. The thought never crossed my mind of getting rid of Goff based on the body of work over the past two seasons. We need to fix the interior of the line and shore it up before we get rid of Goff.

Don’t know how much to read into this but wow.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Cripes, that presser seems like kinda a big deal to me as well.

McVay seems to be leaving the door wide open to moving on from Goff.

Still seems "probable" that Goff is the Rams starting QB in 2021. But has McVay left open the possibility of a major offseason move? Yes. Has McVay openly stated he wants more competition at the QB position? Yes.

Reporters kept lobbing softballs for McVay to say "Goff is our guy and will be moving forward." But McVay pointedly declined to do so. IMHO.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Jets is an interesting option honestly and hadn't thought about it. You added a beast at LT last year with Becton so you're good there but you have 2 first round picks. Your biggest issues are a lack of playemakers. You can trade down a few spots in the 1st to a team wanting that 2nd QB get say Detroit if they move on from Stafford with a new coach or Carolina (more likely IMO) and with the #8 pick say you add a WR like Chase or Smith or even and Edge to establish your D like Paye or Rousseau even a CB. Then at 23 you add a RB like Etienne or Harris. Follow that up with the picks you trade down or your 2nd round pick with shoring up the OLine and you've set up Saleh with a damn good team. Imagine him with the existing D and adding a guy like Paye Parsons or another top edge at that point.

That sounds great then use that 75 mill to sign Judon (they been link to Judon for a while now) and a Galloway or another reciever and I believe they have 2 firsts next year as well they get mobley back as he opted
out....Douglas is shrewd ...look at us we just remade the jets lol....as far as the Rams man being eliminated...seeing AD that emotional....staley bolting and this goff thing lingering as well as the cap to much to soon lolol. Sad part is with a healthy Ad and a healthy goff love or hate him there is not one team left including the packers that I feel we couldn't beat. Things moving way fast but time to look ahead sadly lol.