The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd of course be fine with them adding Watson if they were to do that. But I'm not all crazy for it or anything.

My deal for 2021 is that I don't want to be in a situation where Goff is mentally checked out and the entire season is scrubbed. I'm fine with keeping him and think we need to financially I just want an option B. And yes I think competition would ignite him. Everyone in this game is improved by having more competition. And the ones who aren't are no longer in the game or won't be soon.

I'd like to see them trade for Minshew. Doesn't have to be him specifically, but point is I don't feel like we need a crazy high end talent to run this system. Goff would surely respond to that and come gameday we have that option B if the bad Goff shows up.
Watson is one of my favorite players and was in college too, I wanted the Rams to not draft a QB when we traded up for Goff because I knew Fisher would be gone and didn't want him getting his meat hooks into a rookie QB. Plus Watson came out the next year so a shitty record and either a top 5 pick or easier jump up for Watson.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if Houston doesn’t like the trade options, they don’t have to trade him. Then he can decide if he wants to show up for training camp or not. I’m thinking If he requests a trade, the team gets options for where he can be traded. Has to be some protection for the team in the event he exercises the trade request
Yeah it would definitely have to be some give and take. I think it drives the price down maybe a little. If his preferred destinations are slim.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Just watched the press conference, I think its mainly, as he states, all positions will be evaluated and be aggressive in creating the most competition to get better in all positions, QB included.
I don't think it necessarily means his displeasure in Goff, but the person performing best will start, no matter what name they carry.
I wouldn't be surprised for him to bring a under the radar person he highly regards to compete at QB.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
There are a couple of things here.....

1. Watson has a no trade clause essentially he controls where he would like to go or at least has major input right?

2. If you keep Goff and don't improve or slightly improve the line Goff will still struggle because he is like a Brady or Brees (not talking credentials or stats) and needs to stand in the pocket.

3. Goff is just like Jim Everett in the way that now even at the slightest pressure he panics it takes time to rid your brain of that...to reset that clock and have that trust or a fresh start elsewhere could do that.

4. As an owner yes you best fire peoples asses if they have you hand out money and then you have to eat it. The caveat there is eating the money is terrible but are you still putting a winning product out there? Are you drafting well adding cheap talent? If your winning your making me money and still putting out a good to great product then maybe Stan can live with that. Once that formula fails then they all begin to be held accountable. That's where things change. That's where it sucks for everyone especially us fans. That said minus some contracts they have done well at everything else.

5. This is LA fans can be fickle but we host the Superbowl and we will eventually have fans in this stadium money will flow fans will pay especially if your winning. In LA what happens when the rams don't win fans don't show they can do 100 other things with that weather rather than watch a 3-13 team.

6. Mcvay or whomever is or was responsible for the extension his excuse is he inherited Goff not his choice for his offense and he can say I made a mistake I know a lot more now than I did then and I know we need a different style qb for me to have success.

7. Rams are hosting a Superbowl coming up I believe they have been always preparing for that moment and want the best chance possible to continue winning and possibly have the best possible team assembled for that year.

8. My belief is a wait and see approach but body language frustration just an overall look of doubt on mcvays face indicate that this situation could be coming to a head. If you have a chance at Watson or someone else it could be this regimes last hoorah but they take it. They have proven to be able to put a good team out there. They draft well with no first round picks. So if a couple of bad contracts dictate their fate then they seem like a so be it type group. The fact that they draft well make trades bring in the right guys mean they are doing there jobs well but nobody is perfect. It's a different world but its the equivalent of say a CEO making the owner a shit ton of money with some bad decisions along the line but in the end ownership is committed keeps the faith and gets rewarded for it. So Stan may not be thrilled but given the option of continuing to beat a dead horse or being a man and told "look this isn't going to work we need a different qb we effed up". This regime will live or die by the sword. It will be an interesting off season. Could be much about nothing could not... only time will tell.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
He didn't do much to ignite flames, like I said, a lotta of people are reading between the lines.
If, this same old back and forth goes on all offseason, this won't be a place to spend time.

so what would you like to talk about and why not start a thread that you like

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
It's kind of funny people are certain with these comments he doesn't like what he gets from Goff and wants a different QB. But they'll hedge that these comments don't apply to Wolford and Perkins who were on the roster and had every chance to prove themselves.

i was one of the ones that wanted wolfman to get a chance. i think he did give the team a spark but an injurie after one game and i think mcvay may want competition that is more durable i know i do.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i was one of the ones that wanted wolfman to get a chance. i think he did give the team a spark but an injurie after one game and i think mcvay may want competition that is more durable i know i do.
A spark? He was better at scrambling but when you evade pressure you've got to be able to take advantage and complete a pass. I never saw that from him he was barely over 50% iirc.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I agree and I didn’t say anything about his contract. I just said that based on what McVay has said the last 2 days he’s not dispelling any rumors that he’s not happy with his starting QB.

yeah and a little while back he said something about a lack of urgency and preparation. that kind of gives me the feeling that mcvay is not 100% behind goff. i still think that if goff well go to that qb camp this summer and we draft some competition for him he may well be just fine

Ellard80

Legend
yeah and a little while back he said something about a lack of urgency and preparation. that kind of gives me the feeling that mcvay is not 100% behind goff. i still think that if goff well go to that qb camp this summer and we draft some competition for him he may well be just fine

The offense just hasn't been good enough. It's not all on Goff.. but he is part of it. McVay knows they have to be better on offense - they are regressing since the super bowl year.

It's in plain sight for everyone to see.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay will probably give him a long look next year in camp but nobody is going to trust him to be a guy you can depend on. He's too reckless. You can't invest time in a player (in that Seattle case he got the entire week's snaps) and then have him go out there acting like he's playing against 5th graders and get hurt. If it was one game I would overlook it too but he did the same shit vs Zona. He probably won't ever get another shot like that again in his career.

Ellard80

Legend
McVay will probably give him a long look next year in camp but nobody is going to trust him to be a guy you can depend on. He's too reckless. You can't invest time in a player (in that Seattle case he got the entire week's snaps) and then have him go out there acting like he's playing against 5th graders and get hurt. If it was one game I would overlook it too but he did the same shit vs Zona. He probably won't ever get another shot like that again in his career.

I think wolf will get a look.. but i seriously doubt he will be the guy.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
A spark? He was better at scrambling but when you evade pressure you've got to be able to take advantage and complete a pass. I never saw that from him he was barely over 50% iirc.
i was not talking about his stats i was talking about how the team seemed to react to his effort and how they reacted when he got back to the locker room after his press conference i thought he gave the team a spark. if you don't agree thats fine we will just have to let it go at that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i was not talking about his stats i was talking about how the team seemed to react to his effort and how they reacted when he got back to the locker room after his press conference i thought he gave the team a spark. if you don't agree thats fine we will just have to let it go at that.
Ok? I don't see a spark from the guys around him, they all talk it up like I mentioned in the other threads his scramble but they'll also all say he's gotta be smarter about sliding as is evident from him getting hurt. If he provided a spark how good was it vs Seattle? We certainly didn't turn the spark into points. And keep in mind I'm not just arguing against him for the sake of it, I just didn't see what others like you said they saw.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
maybe they trade Goff get what they can and do a prove it deal with Dak. With that you actually may get an asset or two and it aint nothing but money.... well at least not ours lol

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I wonder how much of this conversation boils down to how Mcvay played the position himself.

Sean was never a pocket passer. He had the running ability + vision, IQ, etc.

But I wonder if his natural vision of 'his' offense is starting to really collide with Goff's ability.

Not too mention the way the modern game is being played. (I'd point at that right now both Lamar Jackson and Mahomes have been knocked out of their games due to concussions.) There are negatives to playing the game with that running game QB.

Goff could not and will never have the ability to play the game the way Mcvay played. I just wonder how much that has influence on Mcvay.

Multiple times yesterday I said to myself 'I can't imagine if Goff had that much time'. Sure there were times it was Rogers creating, but he had an avenue to escape through.

Goff not so much as afforded that chance.

Goff also had some throws yesterday that 'Aikman' types would be slobbering over if it was their guy. . . But since it was Goff it was a good throw and a great catch.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
maybe they trade Goff get what they can and do a prove it deal with Dak. With that you actually may get an asset or two and it aint nothing but money.... well at least not ours lol
With exactly what cap would we sign Dak LOLOLOL And no thanks to him let alone thinking he'd get a prove it deal.