The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
What a meltdown some of you would have if Goff played as poorly as Brees and Brady so far at halftime...if we’re going by stats

jacktheripper85

Starter
You kinda went both ways on that. I am not a huge Goff fan, but a team can't keep giving out contracts like a billionaire at a high priced strip club and be a top team. If another team had as much dead cap as us we would be laughing our asses off.

I agree and I didn’t say anything about his contract. I just said that based on what McVay has said the last 2 days he’s not dispelling any rumors that he’s not happy with his starting QB.

I also think this DeShaun Watson talk is ridiculous. Never happening. Goff is going to be here but will he start? Who knows? McVay started a guy in the playoffs over Goff who never played a game in his life so it’s possible.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
You would have to gut your team and mortgage the future for QB who has a big deal, and has already had an ACL injury.

And I say gut your team because you don't have a top 50 pick this year so to compete with teams that have top ten picks, you would be trading...

View attachment 43019
Both teams gave their QB big contracts and would be on the hook for cap space. Is it possible to pay for other teams contract. some how negating the dead money. I don't think so, but maybe someone here knows for sure. It would be the only way that shit could happen.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Yeah I am pretty much done. If they eat Goff's contract a few people high in the franchise should lose their jobs. We had $37mil in dead cap this year. Are we going to do it again next year? Pretty hard to build a good team when you are paying out a quarter of your payroll on people you decided you didn't want anymore after giving them record setting contracts. That's my main point.

I think that's fair and I agree honestly. The contract decisions have been very, very suspect lately. Yesterday I saw someone mention it and I have to agree, is IF McVay decides to move on from Goff..and that's a big if. What can he do? Is he supposed to wait another 3 years for Goff's contract to be up? Isn't it better to just rip off the Band-Aid and make a move now instead of sit in limbo for an additional number of years? It's really not an easy decision either way. The contract was already given to him, all he can do now is try to rectify it or stand pat and make the best of it.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's kind of funny people are certain with these comments he doesn't like what he gets from Goff and wants a different QB. But they'll hedge that these comments don't apply to Wolford and Perkins who were on the roster and had every chance to prove themselves.
Just like Goff, those players need time to develop. He wants to win it all now. Every move we have made since he has been here is to win now. We traded away a lot of our top picks for win now players. Those picks would have a good chance of being our studs right now on rookie contracts. We have played loose and free and it's come back to bite us in the ass. We traded away a good part of our future to win the SB now, we came close, but didn't make it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What a meltdown some of you would have if Goff played as poorly as Brees and Brady so far at halftime...if we’re going by stats
Can you imagine if he had a 50% completion and below 5 ypa my goodness this forum would explode. And that's with both teams having a running game one of which has Kamara and Michael Thomas two of the top few at each position. The WR's and TE's that Brady has and he's put up this shit in the 1st half? Yeah world would end if Goff looked like them.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that's fair and I agree honestly. The contract decisions have been very, very suspect lately. Yesterday I saw someone mention it and I have to agree, is IF McVay decides to move on from Goff..and that's a big if. What can he do? Is he supposed to wait another 3 years for Goff's contract to be up? Isn't it better to just rip off the Band-Aid and make a move now instead of sit in limbo for an additional number of years? It's really not an easy decision either way. The contract was already given to him, all he can do now is try to rectify it or stand pat and make the best of it.
He can eat Goff's contract, pay for another boatload of dead cap next year and hope his owner doesn't fire his ass. There's no guarantee that his next QB is going to be all world either. Every time you make a big financial mistake, your odds of being a top franchise die. Look at the top franchises, do they have dead cap like us?

jacktheripper85

Starter
Can you imagine if he had a 50% completion and below 5 ypa my goodness this forum would explode. And that's with both teams having a running game one of which has Kamara and Michael Thomas two of the top few at each position. The WR's and TE's that Brady has and he's put up this shit in the 1st half? Yeah world would end if Goff looked like them.

Well, if he’s putting up those numbers 20 years from now as a Ram I’m sure us fans would be ok with it because it means the next 20 years will be awesome!

TXRams86

The Infamous
Can you imagine comparing Goff to two future hall of fame, super bowl winning QBs having a less than stellar play off game performance? Brees and Brady can average 1 yard per pass and 0 TDs this game and no one would bat an eye.

Memphis Ram

Legend
It's kind of funny people are certain with these comments he doesn't like what he gets from Goff and wants a different QB. But they'll hedge that these comments don't apply to Wolford and Perkins who were on the roster and had every chance to prove themselves.

The key is that one of us is willing to acknowledge that we don't know if the comments apply to Wolford or Perkins.

That said, it's doubtful that either have been given every chance to prove themselves with limited snaps. And there's a difference between proving yourself for a roster spot and being given a legit opportunity to compete for the starting job.

Last edited:

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I was thinking the exact same thing.

I was one to have lost some confidence in Goff a few games ago. Never lost my shit about it but got over it.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Can you imagine comparing Goff to two future hall of fame, super bowl winning QBs having a less than stellar play off game performance? Brees and Brady can average 1 yard per pass and 0 TDs this game and no one would bat an eye.
Only thing we are comparing are 2020 Divisional round stats, personally I’m not a stat hound

is that unfair Or unreasonable, I even left game conditions out

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he can't develop and devise a game plan around a player who was drafted with the first pick in the draft and given a record contract, maybe he isn't the all world coach everyone thinks he is. There is a lot of blame to go around, some others need to feel some heat as well.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The key is that one of us is willing to acknowledge that we don't know if the comments apply to Wolford or Perkins.

That said, it's doubtful that either have been given every chance to prove themselves with limited snaps.
I've yet to hear clear audio of the comments. I have read McVay say he wants competition at every spot something he's said before. Something that he had with 4 QB's in camp short as it was. I've said countless times that Goff needs to get his shit together his inconsistent play is unacceptable though you may ignore it when I say anything like this about Goff. I've also said what we saw from Wolford was nothing to write home about and his lack of awareness and him in each of his starts making stupid mistakes in not sliding properly got himself hurt and lost him the chance to shine on the biggest stage of his young career. Don't project onto me an unwillingness to criticize bad play because it's not true.

TXRams86

The Infamous
Only thing we are comparing are 2020 Divisional round stats, personally I’m not a stat hound

is that unfair?
Didn’t know the game had ended? Looks like there’s still plenty to play. And you can say you’re only comparing this game’s stats but there is a hell of a lot of context to consider when you say Brees and Brady’s name in the same sentence you mention Goff. Just sayin’

edit: in keeping things fair, I completely missed the part you were talking about first half stats. Yeah I think the board would be losing their shit if that’s how Goff was playing. But unlike Goff, Brady and Brees can turn things on at any moment. You can never count them out. Hence why I said there’s a lot of context to consider when putting those three names in the same sentence.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Didn’t know the game had ended? Looks like there’s still plenty to play. And you can say you’re only comparing this game’s stats but there is a hell of a lot of context to consider when you say Brees and Brady’s name in the same sentence you mention Goff. Just sayin’

no there’s not, HOF creds are irrelevant to my point, and it was my point, I was perfectly clear in stating by halftime

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I know people want to trade for Watson but unless BoB is back in charge I can't see that happening. If anything they have a guy from the Patriots front office so he's going to bend a team over the coals for all their draft picks. Aside from that is there a draft pick we have a shot at that can do that? I'm unaware of any free agent QB's we can afford that would do this. I've seen a few trade target ideas but those seem mostly as backups not somebody that can push Jared. IMO this is meant to light a fire under Jared's ass and if he doesn't respond we can move on from him after 2021 with yet another stupid dead cap hit.
I'd of course be fine with them adding Watson if they were to do that. But I'm not all crazy for it or anything.

My deal for 2021 is that I don't want to be in a situation where Goff is mentally checked out and the entire season is scrubbed. I'm fine with keeping him and think we need to financially I just want an option B. And yes I think competition would ignite him. Everyone in this game is improved by having more competition. And the ones who aren't are no longer in the game or won't be soon.

I'd like to see them trade for Minshew. Doesn't have to be him specifically, but point is I don't feel like we need a crazy high end talent to run this system. Goff would surely respond to that and come gameday we have that option B if the bad Goff shows up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've yet to hear clear audio of the comments. I have read McVay say he wants competition at every spot something he's said before. Something that he had with 4 QB's in camp short as it was. I've said countless times that Goff needs to get his shit together his inconsistent play is unacceptable though you may ignore it when I say anything like this about Goff. I've also said what we saw from Wolford was nothing to write home about and his lack of awareness and him in each of his starts making stupid mistakes in not sliding properly got himself hurt and lost him the chance to shine on the biggest stage of his young career. Don't project onto me an unwillingness to criticize bad play because it's not true.

I haven't projected or given much thought of anything regarding your opinion of Goff. You said, "Tells me Wolford and Perkins aren't the answer because they're already on the roster." I just pointed out that they never got a legit shot to compete for the starting job so we don't know.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you say so man. I made my point clear. If you are confident Goff is your qb then say it

As for Watson. The texans don't have complete say. Watson has a no trade clause that only he can waive. They have to take whatever team he agrees to. Any my guess is that he won't want to go to a team that will be high picks in the future
Well if Houston doesn’t like the trade options, they don’t have to trade him. Then he can decide if he wants to show up for training camp or not. I’m thinking If he requests a trade, the team gets options for where he can be traded. Has to be some protection for the team in the event he exercises the trade request