The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kmramsfan

Old School Ram Fan
Name
Keith
There's a reason I said "LA" lol. We need one of those lines we had through the 70s or early half of the 80s. Just do that and all of a sudden maybe we don't need a QB reload.

Basically draft OL and bring in a vet to compete with Goff. Then take a shot at a young QB you like if you see one in the draft. We should win a ton of games and if things don't get better then you have a good OL for a new QB if that's what you have to do.
If he would have thrown in, say a Bob Brown, Jackie Slater, Dennis Harrah and maybe Tom Mack, I'd listen. :cool:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not if they were never given the opportunity to compete.
It's kind of funny people are certain with these comments he doesn't like what he gets from Goff and wants a different QB. But they'll hedge that these comments don't apply to Wolford and Perkins who were on the roster and had every chance to prove themselves.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
I dont think Goff has the luxury of running the offense the way he wants, or else...
Like Rodgers does
Agree, but what I’m speculating is McVay might be trying to put a giant chip on his shoulder to get that type of reaction. Just a thought because McVay has never been critical of a player to the media, including players about to get cut. Im just conspiracy theorying it up lol

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I have no doubt we will. I still think it's going to be hard for us to make it happen unless Deshaun ties their hands or Miami isn't interested.
You would have to gut your team and mortgage the future for QB who has a big deal, and has already had an ACL injury.

And I say gut your team because you don't have a top 50 pick this year so to compete with teams that have top ten picks, you would be trading...

everyone.jpg

Last edited:

MachS

Hall of Fame
He didn't do much to ignite flames, like I said, a lotta of people are reading between the lines.
If, this same old back and forth goes on all offseason, this won't be a place to spend time.

To me we are all Rams fans first. So if you take some fans talking about upgrading QB personally...you really shouldn't. We all want the Rams to win. Plain and simple. And if McVay thinks improving our QB play will be better for the Rams long term and will lead to more wins.. we should be all for it. No matter how we as individuals feel about Goff. And the same goes for the opposite - If this is all nothing and we start Goff next year..the people who don't think Goff is the answer will still root him on and hope the Rams win the Super Bowl. I think some people take the QB debate way too personally. I've gotten into heated debates on the subject too and it's pretty silly. We need to just trust in McVay to make the best decision for the team and root for whatever combination of players we roll out there.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
but he did , by not deading the issue. He gave a politically correct dance about answer. He was asked specifically about Goff and he dodged the question. If the reporter had said "hey, Donald will be 30 this year. Is he still gonna be the cornerstone of your defense?", he probably would have responded "wtf, yes" (or something of the sort lol. All he had to do was say "yes Goff is our qb". This will likely die down in the offseason, heat up with Waston watch, die down again, heat up during draft time, and officially die again if nothing happens after that.
He just lost a frickin playoff game, he didn't say much positive about anything. You say he probably would have said this or that. Once again you are reading between the lines. You are beating the drum like a media person.

And PLEASE tell me what we could trade for Watson? They traded Hopkins last year because they didn't want to pay him, they need to rebuild. If they trade Watson, they are going to want top 5 draft picks and more than one, it's going to take a lot for them to trade him. What do we have to trade? Well, we can give you a 2nd and 3 thirds this year and a low first and 3 more thirds next year. They are going to want a top pick this year for another QB.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To me we are all Rams fans first. So if you take some fans talking about upgrading QB personally...you really shouldn't. We all want the Rams to win. Plain and simple. And if McVay thinks improving our QB play will be better for the Rams long term and will lead to more wins.. we should be all for it. No matter how we as individuals feel about Goff. And the same goes for the opposite - If this is all nothing and we start Goff next year..the people who don't think Goff is the answer will still root him on and hope the Rams win the Super Bowl. I think some people take the QB debate way too personally. I've gotten into heated debates on the subject too and it's pretty silly. We need to just trust in McVay to make the best decision for the team and root for whatever combination of players we roll out there.
Yeah I am pretty much done. If they eat Goff's contract a few people high in the franchise should lose their jobs. We had $37mil in dead cap this year. Are we going to do it again next year? Pretty hard to build a good team when you are paying out a quarter of your payroll on people you decided you didn't want anymore after giving them record setting contracts. That's my main point.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I am pretty much done. If they eat Goff's contract a few people high in the franchise should lose their jobs. We had $37mil in dead cap this year. Are we going to do it again next year? Pretty hard to build a good team when you are paying out a quarter of your payroll on people you decided you didn't want anymore after giving them record setting contracts. That's my main point.
Glad I'm not the only one that's tired of this trend with the front office and McVay.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's kind of funny people are certain with these comments he doesn't like what he gets from Goff and wants a different QB. But they'll hedge that these comments don't apply to Wolford and Perkins who were on the roster and had every chance to prove themselves.
Not really seeing that.

Wolford in fact getting himself hurt that quickly I think screwed himself of his shot. When you're the backup and the team needs you to beat Seattle so your QB can rest that thumb you take a stupid and unnecessary hit like this is fucking harvard league or something. And that's on the heels of taking at least five shots from Arizona's defense. He's not a guy you can rely on for that reason IMO.

And beyond that the Rams need competition, someone Goff is afraid of taking his job. Someone who also has some real upside if possible. But at the very least just competition.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C’mon man. Our QB has the 2nd most wins of any QB in the NFL the last few years, played in a Super Bowl, just played 2 games with screws in his thumb and that’s the “vote of confidence “ he gets from his coach?

Doesn’t sound to me based on his comments the last 2 days that MvVay wants the conversation about his starting QB going away.
You kinda went both ways on that. I am not a huge Goff fan, but a team can't keep giving out contracts like a billionaire at a high priced strip club and be a top team. If another team had as much dead cap as us we would be laughing our asses off.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wolford in fact getting himself hurt that quickly I think screwed himself of his shot. When you're the backup and the team needs you to beat Seattle so your QB can rest that thumb you take a stupid and unnecessary hit like this is fucking harvard league or something. And that's on the heels of taking at least five shots from Arizona's defense. He's not a guy you can rely on for that reason IMO.

Be careful with that line of thought I took pages worth of shit for pointing out he had to be smarter about avoiding hits after the Cardinals game.
And beyond that the Rams need competition, someone Goff is afraid of taking his job. Someone who also has some real upside if possible. But at the very least just competition.
I know people want to trade for Watson but unless BoB is back in charge I can't see that happening. If anything they have a guy from the Patriots front office so he's going to bend a team over the coals for all their draft picks. Aside from that is there a draft pick we have a shot at that can do that? I'm unaware of any free agent QB's we can afford that would do this. I've seen a few trade target ideas but those seem mostly as backups not somebody that can push Jared. IMO this is meant to light a fire under Jared's ass and if he doesn't respond we can move on from him after 2021 with yet another stupid dead cap hit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And maybe McVay's words were dropped to elicit that kind of reaction.

No matter who McVay wants to be his QB next year, the OL has to be better and certainly more consistent than this year. Some think we can get a mobile QB and that will negate the problem, but the situation in Seattle shows us otherwise. And it's a lot easier to fix an OL than it is to replace a QB.

I'm thinking the same. Want to motivate a guy like Goff to come back better next year? Challenge him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I think the best thing for Goff's career could be the Rams trading him away to a good team that's a qb away from being great.

He'll never get his props playing for Mcvay. It must wear down on him to constantly hear how shit he is and it's all Mcvay.

When yesterday's announcers asked him about the media criticising him every week they said he told them, "you know how it is, when we lose it's all my fault and when we win I had nothing to do with it".

He may joke about it but deep down you know it's has to be eating him up inside.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, you can just get one in the 6th round, like Tom Brady. Easy peasy
Yeah and they'll come straight out of the 6th round and be stars right off. They won't need anytime to develop. If you can't develop the first pick in the draft, how are you going to develop someone else?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He just lost a frickin playoff game, he didn't say much positive about anything. You say he probably would have said this or that. Once again you are reading between the lines. You are beating the drum like a media person.

And PLEASE tell me what we could trade for Watson? They traded Hopkins last year because they didn't want to pay him, they need to rebuild. If they trade Watson, they are going to want top 5 draft picks and more than one, it's going to take a lot for them to trade him. What do we have to trade? Well, we can give you a 2nd and 3 thirds this year and a low first and 3 more thirds next year. They are going to want a top pick this year for another QB.
If you say so man. I made my point clear. If you are confident Goff is your qb then say it

As for Watson. The texans don't have complete say. Watson has a no trade clause that only he can waive. They have to take whatever team he agrees to. Any my guess is that he won't want to go to a team that will be high picks in the future

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Well unless he's genuinely talking about an iron sharpens iron situation, I find it strange that he didn't say anything reassuring about Goff when asked. Yesterday he said "he's our qb right now" and today he said "we're evaluating every position". If Goff is his guy he certainly did nothing to make that clear.
McVay thinks Goff has been to comfortable in the #1QB spot. Wants him to work harder and focus more on his job. Goff needs to be shook up. McVay is doing that. Worked for Green Bay.