The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
I was just speaking of last year. Baker was seeing ghosts in the pocket and the browns invested heavily in the offensive line to help him. And it worked out. Adding anything else you the I said just loses the point. Yes the browns had very poor everything but when they brought in new management pieces this year , the first thing that they did was go all in on the line. I like that approach.
We sort of did that when we got Whit and Sullivan. And it worked really well.

Giving Goff more confidence in his protection could bring big dividends.

shake-n-bake

Rookie
How did it fit Jackson yesterday?

Would you trade Goff for Jackson?

I hear all the Jackson love all the time, but in the playoffs, against good defenses (Bills are just average on D) he struggles.

Yet I don't hear people saying they need to be perfect for him to win. Thus far it seems so.

Well the qb that won is a mobile move the pocket and gets first down with his legs in Josh Allen. Did you watch that game and see how he kept plays alive. Did you notice that. I didn't say a Lamar was the answer but if you look at a Josh Allen that is the makeup of the new generation of quarterbacks

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Baker was seeing ghosts in the pocket and the browns invested heavily in the offensive line to help him. And it worked out. ...
the first thing that they did was go all in on the line. I like that approach.
Addressing the OL sounds good if you have the resources. The Rams appear to lack the resources Cleveland had last off-season.

The Browns signed perhaps the best free agent OL (RT Jack Conklin) to a three year / $42M contract; and used the 10th overall pick on a LT (Jedrick Wills).

Rams lack cap space and will not draft until the late 50s.

It’s tough to find OL. The Rams have used third and fourth round picks in recent years, and that has gotten them Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen and Bobby Evans.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I don
Cleveland has had really good offensive line play for years. Getting a good head coach to manage all the talent they had is why they are now successful. You are saying the same thing. Why you are making this an argument is bizarre
No I'm not actually. And last year thier line was awful. And I said that, like them, we should commit to doing the same. You went on and on about how "referencing the browns is a bad argument". Then you went on to say that "well the browns have food management now and that's why they're good". But the first thing their good management did was fix the line. So you've essentially chosen to somehow go through both sides of the road:

"Lol don't use the browns as a reference as a way of finding success"

And

"Well the browns are successful because of x,y,z"

Which is it?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Addressing the OL sounds good if you have the resources. The Rams appear to lack the resources Cleveland had last off-season.

The Browns signed perhaps the best free agent OL (RT Jack Conklin) to a three year / $42M contract; and used the 10th overall pick on a LT (Jedrick Wills).

It’s tough to find OL. The Rams have used third and fourth round picks in recent years, and that has gotten them Joe Noteboom, Brian Allen and Bobby Evans.
I agree. Resources will be our problem.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well the qb that won is a mobile move the pocket and gets first down with his legs in Josh Allen. Did you watch that game and see how he kept plays alive. Did you notice that. I didn't say a Lamar was the answer but if you look at a Josh Allen that is the makeup of the new generation of quarterbacks
He scored 10 points, fewer than Goff put up yesterday.

And I am not saying Goff is as good as Josh Allen, but don't bitch about the 18 points Goff put up, then lionize Allen for a 10 point output.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. That's crazy. But you said AND Goff. We've been talking about goff since the end of 2018 lol

So my reading comprehension if fine. Your structuring of intended ideas however... Lol
Nah that's not what was said at all. Two statements in one sentence you assumed they were tied together. Another Goff thread and somebody tying in firing or being happy if Staley gets a job. You either didn't read what I said or assumed I meant one bad game for both.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nah that's not what was said at all. Two statements in one sentence you assumed they were tied together. Another Goff thread and somebody tying in firing or being happy if Staley gets a job. You either didn't read what I said or assumed I meant one bad game for both.
Well the way your sentence is structured certainly made it sound like both the Goff thread and the Staley firing were a result of one game. My mistake is that wasn't your take. If there are people who actually think Staley should be fired after one game in here then that's a very irrational sell.

Shuie3225

Starter
That says a lot about the Rams on both sides of the ball. If Goff was having a great game why didn’t they score more. If Goff was having a great game he would have picked that defense apart regardless of TOP.

Too many homers giving him praise for playing hurt and saying that equals a great game.

Having a great game means you dominate the game. It does not mean you played average in spite of an injury.

IMO it's because we've seen so much bad play from Goff the past 2 years, the expectation bar has dropped, and performances like this get classified above what they are. People get excited now when he doesn't play bad. What does that really say? I think he played well and it was nice to see. But him vs Min was a great game. Him vs KC.. him vs NO. Those were great performances.

But regardless I still think yesterday was on the defense and not Goff.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't feel like the Rams have aggressively targeted OL. It may be time to target a Center who has what we need and then move as needed in order to go get him. This draft will be the same BS as last year, teams will know our Center room is shit and we'll be a team others have marked as a threat for that position.

Way I look at it is if they need to move up into early round 2 for the right guy do it. Quit fuckin around with the OL. I want an offensive line that reminds me of our old LA lines of yore.

Ellard80

Legend

And I am not saying Goff is as good as Josh Allen, but don't bitch about the 18 points Goff put up, then lionize Allen for a 10 point output.

Im at the point where Im starting to agre with him though.. with QB's getting paid so much now - you can't think you are going to have a great oline year after year. The Nfl seems to be trending int he line of the Qb has to have some mobility.

Mahomes, allen, herbert, Watson, Trevor lawrence can run like crazy, Ryan Tannehill used to be a WR....

Even some of the "newer older" guys ill call them - like Rodgers, wilson are mobile.

Some of slow of foot pocket passers still do okay - but they seem to me to be a dying breed.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW

And Lamar only managed three points and so far today Baker isn't lighting it up either. Playoff football is different. Normally. It is tough to score on playoff caliber defenses.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
And Lamar only managed three points and so far today Baker isn't lighting it up either. Playoff football is different. Normally. It is tough to score on playoff caliber defenses.
And again, byes matter.

Cleveland looks a bit battered and tired, Chiefs look rested and sharp.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Jared excuted the short passes well... and a few longer ones...

the problem is when we had to throw it more han 8 yards.. the oline imploded every time.
Finally everyone is seeing what I have been saying all season. Goff did not regress from 17 & 18 levels the OL did pure and simple. White is 2 years older and he is old to begin with. Blythe, Edwards and Noteboom are not good enough for a playoff team.

The easiest way to understand this is all the 3-8 yard throws vs medium to deep routes in 17 & 18. Also look at pocket size now vs then no comparison.

We don't need much if we keep Floyd and JJ somehow. We need another wr imo buts just me I think Van J is a minor bust but could be wrong he showed nothing this year.

We need to fix our ILBs we are fine at OLB if we keep Floyd.

Get new STs coach and OC neither showed much.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Just to be clear.
Do you want Ken Iman, Rich Saul, Doug Smith, Bern Brostek, Mark Gruttadauria or Andy McCollum?
There's a reason I said "LA" lol. We need one of those lines we had through the 70s or early half of the 80s. Just do that and all of a sudden maybe we don't need a QB reload.

Basically draft OL and bring in a vet to compete with Goff. Then take a shot at a young QB you like if you see one in the draft. We should win a ton of games and if things don't get better then you have a good OL for a new QB if that's what you have to do.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If there are people who actually think Staley should be fired after one game in here then that's a very irrational sell.
You just defined a lot of this board and sports fans. And there are people around here who've stated they want him to get a HC job because of yesterday.

Giles

Pro Bowler
Name
Giles

I believe linsley from GB is a ufa. If he makes it to the open market we should do whatever it takes to sign him. Even if we lose some defensive talent. The offense needs a solid oline and I believe we dont make it to the sb without one.