The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
However, he played pretty good yesterday, at the very least he played good enough for the Rams to win. This loss falls squarely on the defense, as far as I am concerned, if these other teams want Staley they can have him and he can take that soft ass zone coverage defense with him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
YAY another Goff thread and mixed in with another desire to get rid of our good young DC because of one game :D

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol, we're gonna use Cleveland as a model of success? They've had a top oline for a decade, never did them any good....
No, I didn't say use cleveland AS A WHOLE as a model of success. And they went hard on offensive line this off-season. Their biggest issue over the years was finding a good front office and a qb.

Also, are you suggesting that, because awful cleveland couldn't win with an offensive line in the past, investing heavy in the offensive line is a bad idea? Lmao

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
This is today's NFL reality. Pocket passers are a dying breed. So the question now is can you still win with a pure pocket passer or has that game past its time.

As much as I root for Goff, I am afraid today's game does not fit his skills

Well the Rams won with him last week and if I'm not mistaken Wilson was sacked like 5 times, with all his scrambling ability.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Probably not the right thing to say as a mod but fuck it, i'll step out for minute. Anyone here or anywhere claiming with a straight face that they believe our defense got exposed as a fraud yesterday is a clown and has zero point zero football knowledge.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They went 0-16 with a team that had 2 pro bowl guards and JC Tretter at C (who hasnt missed a start in 4 years)
Won 3 games in 2015 with All Pro LT Joe Thomas, Pro Bowl C Alex Mack and Joel Bitino at OG
Who was the qb? Head coach?

shake-n-bake

Rookie
Well the Rams won with him last week and if I'm not mistaken Wilson was sacked like 5 times, with all his scrambling ability.

We can pull out singular instances. I am speaking to the trajectory of the NFL. Look at college for instance most online are not protecting QBs very long because of the spread offense with mobile QB. So move back to the NFL, most oline you draft are not taught or in some cases capable of holding up to what a pocket passed needs. When I say hold up I mean that extra 2 seconds. Don't get me wrong I am a Goff supporter but the question is with the change in athletic abilities of defenses and with the ability to hold up against that can you do it with a pure pocket passer.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I did say he played well to be fair. But I am of the mind that McVay has high standards. And it's the vision and speed of processing that are issues going forward. Stay tuned and as I said I hope they keep him and bring in competition.
I think McVay wants Goff to feel uncomfortable with his situation. I think he saw a motivated Goff over the last few weeks that hasn't been their for a while. He mentioned earlier in the season after the Miami game that he needed to put in more time during the week. He thinks and I think rightfully so that Goff needs to study harder and work with more intention than he has the last 2 years. Like I said, the last 3 weeks McVay saw the Goff he wants to see all the time. A more focused Goff. So yes he will continue to answer questions similarly and probably bring in competition. Look what it did for Green Bay. Rodgers had his best year. LaFluer and McVay are close and talk alot.

…..

Legend
Theres nothing wrong with Goff.

Theres nothing wrong with our defense, although personally I’d like to see better ILBers.

Theres nothing wrong with Staley, but his game plan for the packers missed the mark.

We just got beat at the point of attack, in the trenches. Im alittle impressed they blocked us that well. Didnt realize they had it in them, but I dont follow the Packers.

Im suprised we’d have any new Goff threads and conjecture today. We’ve already laid out the facts over the past few weeks and if anything, support for Goff should have increased based on these last 2 games.

We know what we have to do. Need to improve our interior line. We need better play at center and guard and theres no use discussing a speedy WR if we cant get the time to let his route develop.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
No need to pitch me. I'm of the mind we keep Goff and get him playing well behind a better OL. I wanted OL last offseason in fact.

I am simply observing that McVay might want more at QB. I am not certain of Jared's status as our QB1 at this point basically. He's a bottom third QB this year and this was a team that had a lot of pieces. I love the guy but there's indicators so I'm expecting focus on the position and maybe a move or two. I would add competition and draft a kid who has some raw tools and see if the staff can find a diamond.
Yes he does want more from the QB. He more than likely would like Goff to bring it. So this offseason and next season he better bring it.

Psycho_X

Legend
All I'll say now that I've let it marinate a day is that I hope Goff continues to wear the gloves. I've been wanting him to use those for years due to his grip issues at times and in my amateur opinion it really helped with his spirals yesterday. He had some zip on those passes. Was good to see. I'm not attributing that all to the gloves but it's got to help some.

Also, I hope Staley is back next year. Players got exposed yesterday not the scheme.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Well, generally, when I'm being condescending i know it because I'm replying to somebody bashing a rams player or the Rams with irrational blabber.

Don't hate me.

Not in my nature to hate especially for such trivial stuff such as condensing behaviour. All good here expect for the rams losing that's my focus. Hate is such a strong word now a days should be careful how it's used..
Indeed these times are a changing.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Probably not the right thing to say as a mod but fuck it, i'll step out for minute. Anyone here or anywhere claiming with a straight face that they believe our defense got exposed as a fraud yesterday is a clown and has zero point zero football knowledge.

Minor quibble with the last part of your statement:

1610904797690.png

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
There is a lot of fault to go around. Not just Goff. But here is the reality and I myself support Goff because to quote Terrell Owen's that's my QB. In today's NFL being able move around the pocket and escape is big. Outside of Brady who I hate but have to respect, all other QBs in the playoffs are very good moving in and out of the pocket. They can also throw on the run with ease. Defenses like ours are too good for you to stand in the pocket.

Even when Rodgers pocket did break with his offensive line he just navigated out of it and gave his receivers more time to get open. This is today's NFL reality. Pocket passers are a dying breed. So the question now is can you still win with a pure pocket passer or has that game past its time.

As much as I root for Goff, I am afraid today's game does not fit his skills
How did it fit Jackson yesterday?

Would you trade Goff for Jackson?

I hear all the Jackson love all the time, but in the playoffs, against good defenses (Bills are just average on D) he struggles.

Yet I don't hear people saying they need to be perfect for him to win. Thus far it seems so.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We can pull out singular instances. I am speaking to the trajectory of the NFL. Look at college for instance most online are not protecting QBs very long because of the spread offense with mobile QB. So move back to the NFL, most oline you draft are not taught or in some cases capable of holding up to what a pocket passed needs. When I say hold up I mean that extra 2 seconds. Don't get me wrong I am a Goff supporter but the question is with the change in athletic abilities of defenses and with the ability to hold up against that can you do it with a pure pocket passer.
How has Lamar Jackson done in the playoffs?

As I said earlier, all these QBs need a lot of support. Brees and Rogers have been in the league for a combined 30 plus yrs and they have been to a total of 2 SBs...TWO! And it's not like Tom Brady was preventing them from getting to a SB... There was no super team in the NFC that was standing in their way every year. Think about that!

So apparently the supporting cast really matters.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
On exit interviews, I suspect Goffs will be a not great one. He seemed unprepared and unmotivated all year. Maybe this is more of a wake up call than anything. Goff was not playing up to his potential

Ellard80

Legend
Rams were 3/10 on third down. They had possessions. Green bay can't have the ball if the Rams offense could stay on the field.

Rams were 2-8 on 3rd down 0-6 at one point.

The offense struggling this time not really Goff though. He threw the ball well. The oline was getting its ass handed to it/

Basically we lost this game in the trenches on both sides.

The offense played better than the defense.. but the offense wasn't that good either. Couldn't protect or sustatin drives.