The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Rams were 2-8 on 3rd down 0-6 at one point.

The offense struggling this time not really Goff though. He threw the ball well. The oline was getting its ass handed to it/

Basically we lost this game in the trenches on both sides.

The offense played better than the defense.. but the offense wasn't that good either. Couldn't protect or sustatin drives.
A play I forgot about was us moving the ball and lining up to go for it on 4th and 1, with no doubt we pick it up, and then followed up the timeout with a false start. Those are mistakes great teams don't have.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Co
Rams were 2-8 on 3rd down 0-6 at one point.

The offense struggling this time not really Goff though. He threw the ball well. The oline was getting its ass handed to it/

Basically we lost this game in the trenches on both sides.

The offense played better than the defense.. but the offense wasn't that good either. Couldn't protect or sustatin drives.
Completely agree. I feel like Goff has been such a polarizing discussion that if you mention the offense people assume Goff. I was saying that our offense played poorly. Because people were acting as if we lost 40 to 28 and it was all on the defense.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A play I forgot about was us moving the ball and lining up to go for it on 4th and 1, with no doubt we pick it up, and then followed up the timeout with a false start. Those are mistakes great teams don't have.
I think that okay perfectly sums up our offense. They get something going but one thing, a missed pass, a drop, a whiffed block, an untimely penalty always puts us behind the chains or behind the eight ball.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
We knew the O-line was a liability at the start of the season , for most of the season it held up well but against the Packers , who should go on to be NFC Champs, it did not. Jared didn’t have his best season but he will learn a lot from this year and played well yesterday with a broken thumb and no Kupp. A better O-line means a better J. Goff . Cam Akers should improve next year too which is exciting for us and will also assist Goff.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I guess we’ll never know if Goff would have led us down the field down 25-18 in the fourth, it was a promising start to a drive but that dropped pass by Reynolds was a killer, instead of 2nd down and 2 its 2nd and 10 followed by a sack...ballgame then and there

Kind of reminiscent of the phantom holding call on Whitford after a 25 yard run by Gurley in the Super Bowl in the 4th trailing by 3

Sometimes there comes a point in a game where there simply is just no room for error

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I wish the NFL and NFLPA would just ammend the players agreement with a luxury tax type thing allowing teams to go over the cap it's more money for the players and more money for the owners. Nfl isn't the NBA teams don't pick up and move because they aren't makimg it financially. The luxury tax and I'm no financial analyst is just a better system to me. And if you structure it right it still will keep parity.
Like baseball

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I think that okay perfectly sums up our offense. They get something going but one thing, a missed pass, a drop, a whiffed block, an untimely penalty always puts us behind the chains or behind the eight ball.
I agree 100%!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you think this is all based on one game.....whew man
So our DC needs to go because of things before yesterday or is your reading comprehension letting you down this morning?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No you're right. I think the audio that we have cuts out. Only the people on the zoom call can hear it.
I don't see how they would have any better audio than we did. It generally does not work that way.
He was ready to leave when Plaschke pops in to ask questions, and again he speaks highly of Goff's performance. You cant hear him say "right now" that's a bit of hearsay. But you cant tell the question pissed him off. And why wouldnt it? Answering the same shit over and over for a month, nd now he just wants to get off the podium
It certainly seemed McVay was sick of the line of questioning.
That was my point. I’ve never heard McVay be as unenthusiastic about a player as he was Goff just now.
So when he talks about tight windows and the good things, that is unenthusiastic? He just lost a playoff game. He didn't seem enthusiastic about much.
I addressed that. What he said was such a shock that the reporters asked no more questions and the guy asking the question didn’t follow up further.
Come on Mac. That is not AT ALL what took place. Don't project something that simply wasn't there. Near the end of the presser, the moderator lists the final three questioners. He answered exactly three questions from those three reporters and the presser was over - ON QUE. He almost ended the presser before the last set of questions but that was also before the dumb question about Goff.

Everybody knows we need better production and less mistakes from the QB position and the offense as a whole. You could tell McVay is frustrated by this. He may very well be frustrated by Goff himself. But your version of the presser does not hold water.

Aulac

UDFA
Name
Smileless
Jared Goff is an old school pocket quarterback who effectiveness require a good O-line and a deep threat. Coming into the season, Les Snead did not fill in those missing pieces. Jared Goff style is similar to that of Peyton Manning than Tom Brady so our offense work best when he is throwing bombs. That doesn't work when you don't have single deep threat after letting go of Cooks (which was the right decision).

Our O-line, the same one that collapses in the Superbowl became worst after losing Saffold did not get address. We came into this season with an O-line that overperformed but rear its ugly head into the playoff one way or another.

We have one of the slowest receiving cores in the entire league, and drafting Van Jefferson did not make sense when we already have Robert Woods and Cooper Kupp. We are literally just making an entire team full of possession receivers and that makes us one dimensional. Look at the makeup of the Bills team, they have one possession receiver in Beasley, a deep threat in John Brown, and an elite #1 wide receiver in Diggs. If you want to go further, look at the Chiefs receiving core, they have THREE deep threat with one being an elite #1 wide receiver in Hill, a #2 in Watkins, and a young physical burner in Hardman. Oh and they also have an elite tight end as well.

Goff has struggled this year (mightily at time) but we didn't give him the tools to succeed. We didn't build around our 34 million dollars quarterback. We just bandaged a few units together and hoped for the best. Our O-line can't block and our receivers get can't separation consistenly enough for Goff to get into any kind of rhythm.

We can win with Jared Goff and he doesn't need to have everything perfect to win but the team best units (O-line in SB, Defense last night) can't lay an egg and our best wide receiver can't be out. We have ZERO elite receiver and we have not had a single one throughout Goff's entire tenure with the Rams. Patrick Mahomes has two right off the bat and even Tom Brady had Gronk.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
Sorry I got lost at similar to Peyton and Brady.

Sometimes In My Very humble opinion folks don't get what a Pro Style O can do for a College Qb.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Did you see the TOP?
GB held the ball all fucking day.
That says a lot about the Rams on both sides of the ball. If Goff was having a great game why didn’t they score more. If Goff was having a great game he would have picked that defense apart regardless of TOP.

Too many homers giving him praise for playing hurt and saying that equals a great game.

Having a great game means you dominate the game. It does not mean you played average in spite of an injury.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
That says a lot about the Rams on both sides of the ball. If Goff was having a great game why didn’t they score more. If Goff was having a great game he would have picked that defense apart regardless of TOP.

Too many homers giving him praise for playing hurt and saying that equals a great game.

Having a great game means you dominate the game. It does not mean you played average in spite of an injury.
A big part of it was how long the packers where holding the bold.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The roster shortfalls were there all season dudes. Rams did a pretty good job building a legit playoff team in a season where they had to reload a couple key offensive positions. I'm impressed how far this staff took this team too btw. But re: RB it took Akers until late season to finally find his groove. Jefferson unfortunately isn't going to be in Akers class (he looks very average whereas Akers is probably going to be a Pro Bowl level guy) and that's ok you're not gonna hit on every single pick but he will help insulate us against Reynolds leaving.

During this season though there were a ton of guys that two years ago we felt would be going off in a game like this. Everett for example but he's marginal at best. Higbee's a solid starter which is great and all but he's not a guy you can rely on to get open and convert opportunities. Reynolds is a JAG we all knew this and oh look he's a JAG in the 4th quarter of a deep playoff game who knew. And so on man. We can talk Blythe on the OL it's not like it's a surprise the guy has been getting owned every week. Hill is Hill. Evans struggled in pass pro, health is critical in the playoffs and losing Edwards was something we felt vs that front.

Keep building the roster. Winning the Super Bowl, IMO, requires no small amount of luck but your room for error is minimal when you have roster shortfalls at key positions. We do have to get better on offense. Rams were imbalanced and it ended up costing them no surprise there.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So our DC needs to go because of things before yesterday or is your reading comprehension letting you down this morning?
No. That's crazy. But you said AND Goff. We've been talking about goff since the end of 2018 lol

So my reading comprehension if fine. Your structuring of intended ideas however... Lol

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who was the qb? Head coach?
Using Cleveland as an example of a team being successful in any conversation just doesnt come off well. Lol
To then assume that because they focused on oline they became successful? Not a fair leap either.
To your point, they've made terrible coaching, GM and player decisions. Getting that right is why they are where they are now. I'm all for improving the o-line every year

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Finally just saw the presser.

About Goff, people must be looking for something cause I didn't see it.

In my opinion give Goff the time he needs and a deep threat we would be good. Sounds simple I know but I believe it is that simple.

We have so much more in place than others do. And I think this was not suppose to be our year because of all the dead money we had and won't have this next year. I see some restructuring taking place as well. Many moving parts here.

Future is looking pretty good from where I sit.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard “Right.”

I did not hear “right now.”

Does it matter? Jared Goff IS our QB until there is a better QB on the roster. There isn’t one now.

Will the Rams trade Goff this offseason? It’s not outside the realm of possibility, but it’s highly unlikely.

Will the Rams draft or sign a QB who will take Goff’s job next year? Same answer.

So Goff IS the Rams’ QB.
What I don’t understand is in 2021 how we don’t have clarity on this situation lmao...shouldn’t there be multiple recordings both video and audio? None of them caught it?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Using Cleveland as an example of a team being successful in any conversation just doesnt come off well. Lol
To then assume that because they focused on oline they became successful? Not a fair leap either.
To your point, they've made terrible coaching, GM and player decisions. Getting that right is why they are where they are now. I'm all for improving the o-line every year
I was just speaking of last year. Baker was seeing ghosts in the pocket and the browns invested heavily in the offensive line to help him. And it worked out. Adding anything else you the I said just loses the point. Yes the browns had very poor everything but when they brought in new management pieces this year , the first thing that they did was go all in on the line. I like that approach.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was just speaking of last year. Baker was seeing ghosts in the pocket and the browns invested heavily in the offensive line to help him. And it worked out. Adding anything else you the I said just loses the point. Yes the browns had very poor everything but when they brought in new management pieces this year , the first thing that they did was go all in on the line. I like that approach.
Cleveland has had really good offensive line play for years. Getting a good head coach to manage all the talent they had is why they are now successful. You are saying the same thing. Why you are making this an argument is bizarre