The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Its not my projection, its what happened, "Bill" clearly was allowed one last question. Which was about Goff. McVay spoke highly of his play, and answered. Then the question of QB going forward was squeezed in, and he gave the Goff is the QB blah blah answer. There were no more questions, his spot was over. ITs clear as day if you watch it, I guess you didnt hear the entire presser. McVay answered questions, was about to leave. Said thank you and started getting up. (7:57 mark) The let Eric asked a quick question, which was about Akers. "Can we let Bill in for one last one and then we'll wrap up?" (8:56 mark)
The answer didnt leave them speechless, John Johnson was next to speak

I did watch the presser. I’ll have to go back and post a transcript or something because the mod says okay, Bill, X and Y and that’s it. Bill asks the Goff question and the follow up question because McVay was so strangely sanguine in his first response. Then everyone went silent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I did watch the presser. I’ll have to go back and post a transcript or something because the mod says okay, Bill, X and Y and that’s it. Bill asks the Goff question and the follow up question because McVay was so strangely sanguine in his first response. Then everyone went silent.
Lol, I just did that
McVay answers questions for 8 minutes, and he's finished. He thanks everyone and gets up to leave. (7:57 mark) The allow a question about Akers in the wildcat.
(8:56 mark) "Can we let Bill in for one last one and then we'll wrap up?", to which McVay obliges. and answers about Goff and reiterates everything he had just went over during his full 8 minute spot. Everyone didnt go silent, he spot was well over at that point. He was allowed a quick question, and snuck in another to which McVay answered. There is nothing bizarre there other than spin, and taking it out of context by the media

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
7:27 We’ll wrap up with Kevin, Bill and Eric, please.

I know what the fuck I heard. They took the questions out of order after he took Kevin’s question because McVay’s answer went a little long.

I watched it live and have rewatched it several times.

He does get sanguine about Goff right after praising the D very highly. And I will die in the hill that he says, “Goff is our QB right now”. The audio cuts off but as someone with audio processing disorder, I have to sort of lip read in order to understand when people are speaking to me and I know what he said.

Lest anyone be confused, I’ve made my stance perfectly clear. I think we can win with Goff. I find Watson a very interesting idea. Snead’s always been aggressive. Remember when he tried to get Khalil Mack on a one year rental, but Chicago’s 2 first rounders were better, so he went there?

I don’t understand why anyone’s fighting this.

Gofwill return or he won’t. None of us has any say and guys come and go without anyone asking us.

And even if everyone who saw and listened to it all simultaneously suffered a mass delusion... so what? Goff will or won’t return based on factors none of us control.

I find the topic interesting as a thought experiment if nothing else so I’ll keep talking about it.

Lastly, I’m not the media, have no stake in this beyond just talking about it and I’m not taking it out of context nor do I have an agenda based on clicks or wanting the Rams to trade Goff. Dismiss it all you like, I’ll feel free to not dismiss it if it’s all the same to you, tyvm.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
This game went pretty much how I thought - I envisioned Rodgers carving our D up, and I envisioned our offense not being able to keep up, with the limited number of possessions we had. We are no longer built to score a lot of points, or score TD's with high efficiency.

I'm not sure we will ever be able to surround Goff with enough talent, in order for us to secure a SB. Hopefully I am wrong...but I have always felt he would need a top 5 D, a top 5 O-line, and a top 5 running game in order for us to have a chance at securing a SB win. He had a bad year this year, and he HAS to be better next year, for us to have any chance. There are too many good teams in this league for our offense to play at this level, and expect success.

Goff did well to gut it out last week, and he did ok today (considering the implosion by the D, and the intermittent O-Line issues), so we shall see what coach McVay thinks going forward. None of us have a crystal ball.
You realize even the great Aaron Rodgers has only been to 1 SB and he is like 37 or 38 yrs old. Same with Brees... So apparently they also need a lot of help to do so as do most QBs. It is a team sport. Look at Mahomes supporting cast. Probably the top set of skill players in the league and an excellent OL.

When his big cap hits kick in lets see how he flourishes.

Not comparing Goff to those two talent-wise, but just showing that all these QBs need a lot of help to go all the way.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kinda wanna go the Cleveland route on the offensive line now. Invest in premium
Lol, we're gonna use Cleveland as a model of success? They've had a top oline for a decade, never did them any good....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t understand why anyone’s fighting this.
Because it didnt happen. The presser was over. "Can we let Bill in for one last one and then we'll wrap up with him please?" McVay didnt even respond yet when Bill hammered his question in, "Did Jared prove anything to you today?" And McVay then speaks glowingly about Goff (at least as much as he can considering how disappointed the outcome was)
There was no leaving anyone speechless, no mike drop. His spot was over. Way over.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Lol, we're gonna use Cleveland as a model of success? They've had a top oline for a decade, never did them any good....
They had Greg motherfluffing Robinson starting 2 years ago, lol...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I agree with most that Goff played fine last night. The Packers were the better team and they are the 1 seed for a reason. Our OL just could not hold blocks. Also we were hobbled at key positions. It happens.

If Goff is QB1 next season (am not sure how he won't be unless The Wolf somehow in seats him) then he needs more support. Period. He also needs to be better and stop making back breaking mistakes. We definitely need a center though.... Yikes.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They had Greg motherfluffing Robinson starting 2 years ago, lol...
They went 0-16 with a team that had 2 pro bowl guards and JC Tretter at C (who hasnt missed a start in 4 years)
Won 3 games in 2015 with All Pro LT Joe Thomas, Pro Bowl C Alex Mack and Joel Bitino at OG

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mr. Edwards missed the game with an injury. Unfortunately, as good as Mr. Evans is in the running game, he's a bad pass blocker. ;)

I have a dozen texts communicating the very same thing. I look forward to the draft to hopefully add an impact offensive lineman that has the ability to do both.

Poppinfresh

Rookie
He's the teams qb for better or worse and everyone just has to accept that.

I'm on record for having been against giving him that extension when they did when they could have done wait and see for at least 2 more years and having been against the size of the extension (both items that are consistent gripes of mine about Snead - he's like a day trader who is always chasing stocks after they had a 40% intraday pop and then suffering the consequences later), but it's what the team's reality is, and it's on the hook for too much money to be able to walk away from him now. No point in ifs or woulda coulda shouldas. It's the framework the team has to operate within, and what it has to figure out how to make work.

Personally, I think Goff is a 21st century Scott Mitchell - a guy who will, for stretches of a season, positively dazzle you but will too frequently screw you over to ever put faith in ever reaching the top of the mountain. Maybe one day he can eventually mature into Jeff Hostetler and be a game manager who once in a while can put the team on his back. But that's his ceiling, imo.

Then again, I've got the same opinion about McVay, so...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Man you guys I think were making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Yes, he said "Yeah he's the QB right now" but he said it without the slightest hint of tone, he didn't say it in the form of a question and he didn't in anyway use his face or eyebrows or any other expression that would indicate that he's expressing disappointment or frustration.

Im not sure this is really a thing.

Now I fully understand why press wants it to be and why the army of anti-Goffs will not let it go.
Let's be honest - if you're a Goff hater, these last two games have been hard on you.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everyone wants to blame this guy or that guy or whatever. The fact is that the Rams made the playoffs, won a great playoff game, and then played a very competitive game until the 4th quarter against a very good team, with the best record in the NFL, at their own house. The season was definitely a success no matter how you look at it. I understand the team can get better, and the Rams will certainly try, but to think that the Rams can get to the super bowl every year is just ridiculous. Yes, I want to win every game, but it was truly a great season, overall. Enjoy the off season folks! I know I will.

PS - love this board and all of your comments!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Goff played well yesterday. More focused and dialed in than i've seen in awhile, which is good since it was the biggest game of the year obviously. Protections let him down, Kupp being MIA in the biggest games(again) is a letdown...Goff showed well in the playoffs.

That said, I think the Rams need more at QB if we want to win championships. If there's an opportunity to upgrade with a big trade i say go for it, otherwise put some major effort into upgrading the OLine and ride Goff as a perennial playoff team until it's the right (financial) time to move on and let McV pick his own guy.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

Maybe everyone went silent for the same reason McVays last word was silent? Lost audio isn't exactly exactly uncommon for FaceTime or whatever they use

shake-n-bake

Rookie
There is a lot of fault to go around. Not just Goff. But here is the reality and I myself support Goff because to quote Terrell Owen's that's my QB. In today's NFL being able move around the pocket and escape is big. Outside of Brady who I hate but have to respect, all other QBs in the playoffs are very good moving in and out of the pocket. They can also throw on the run with ease. Defenses like ours are too good for you to stand in the pocket.

Even when Rodgers pocket did break with his offensive line he just navigated out of it and gave his receivers more time to get open. This is today's NFL reality. Pocket passers are a dying breed. So the question now is can you still win with a pure pocket passer or has that game past its time.

As much as I root for Goff, I am afraid today's game does not fit his skills