The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought Thiry was just the one tweeting about it.
Honestly, though.
She's nothing to write home about either.

Its a shame, Vinny went to the Raiders.
Thiry asked earlier how Jared did then shit starter Plaschke came in at the end when McVay was ending to ask about Jareds status.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Metcalf & Claypool were 2nd rounders. Metcalf might have even been a 3rd. Tyreke Hill was even later.

You can find guys to fill those roles. They will have 4 top 100 picks this yr. And next yr a shit load of comp picks plus they have all of theirs. They can improve the roster.
Claypool cooled down at the end though. We'll see if he's an elite guy or just another juju. Hill only fell for character reasons. I hear ya though. Maybe there will be a dk or mclauren type

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams were 3/10 on third down. They had possessions. Green bay can't have the ball if the Rams offense could stay on the field.
The Rams had the ball a total of 8 times. They scored on 3 drives and 3 were stalled because of sacks and penalties. It is difficult converting on third and long when your OL looks like a bunch of matadors watching the packers run by. The same old predictable play calls don't help either especially when the other teams coach used to be your assistant.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I wish the NFL and NFLPA would just ammend the players agreement with a luxury tax type thing allowing teams to go over the cap it's more money for the players and more money for the owners. Nfl isn't the NBA teams don't pick up and move because they aren't makimg it financially. The luxury tax and I'm no financial analyst is just a better system to me. And if you structure it right it still will keep parity.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Give me an ILB, WR, G and CB with those 4 and we have a damned good team but that's just me. I think we can retain Williams and upgrade hill. We have Lewis, Polite, Obo, Rivers and Hollins. Maybe add in a draft pick or a vet minimum free agent or maybe Floyd signs a multi year deal with a minimal cap hit this year. We'll have some cap space we can do a couple restructures. Trade/cut Noteboom, Allen, Lawler, Kiser, Reeder, Young and Webster each frees up 800-900k. It can be done.
Trading $800-900K guys does little. You still have replace them on the 53 man roster and even vet min guys have $600K cap hits. So you gain very little.

Trade candidates are Havenstein & Higbee & Brockers and Whitworth is either released or he takes a big paycut.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Well, I'm not going to look for it. The link to the presser with the Platschke question is a couple posts up. I dont see how McVay's discussion of Goff can be heard as unenthusiastic, he said he played a good game, loved the way he put the drives together, saw the whole field, tight window throws etc, etc.

There ya go.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams had the ball a total of 8 times. They scored on 3 drives and 3 were stalled because of sacks and penalties. It is difficult converting on third and long when your OL looks like a bunch of matadors watching the packers run by. The same old predictable play calls don't help either especially when the other teams coach used to be your assistant.
I agree with a of what you said. In fact that was my point. That the offense was bad.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wish the NFL and NFLPA would just ammend the players agreement with a luxury tax type thing allowing teams to go over the cap it's more money for the players and more money for the owners. Nfl isn't the NBA teams don't pick up and move because they aren't makimg it financially. The luxury tax and I'm no financial analyst is just a better system to me. And if you structure it right it still will keep parity.
Nfl wouldn't be any fun then. I think the league is so competitive because you can't go over your cap.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I kinda wanna go the Cleveland route on the offensive line now. Invest in premium
There you go, get the OL and we control the clock with our running game and have time to throw a pass longer than 8 yards. Put some capital in the line instead of waiting 3 years for your mid picks to develop. By the time they do develop they'll be free agents. I guess the brain trust doesn't think a good line is a priority.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I don't think a pocket passer can be good behind a bad OL like this one. If they are going to put OL at the bottom of the list every year then they need a mobile QB who can create some time. And I don't think spending much cap on a deep threat is all that helpful if the OL will rarely hold up long enough. Truth is every WR the Rams have could be a deep threat if the QB had time.

Build a solid OL and the field will open up. The running game will be good no matter who has the ball and Jared Goff will be a top 10 QB again. If I was the Rams I would throw everything into building the OL this off season. They would have won a SB this year if they had a good OL.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I heard “Right.”

I did not hear “right now.”

Does it matter? Jared Goff IS our QB until there is a better QB on the roster. There isn’t one now.

Will the Rams trade Goff this offseason? It’s not outside the realm of possibility, but it’s highly unlikely.

Will the Rams draft or sign a QB who will take Goff’s job next year? Same answer.

So Goff IS the Rams’ QB.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with a of what you said. In fact that was my point. That the offense was bad.
The packers were running 12 play drives and burning half a quarter at a time, the Rams hardly had the ball. When you have a good Ol you can do that. When you have a line that can't pass block to save their lives, you can't. Our line sucks and our WRs are average, especially with no Kupp.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Nfl wouldn't be any fun then. I think the league is so competitive because you can't go over your cap.

Why? You can cap the amount teams are allowed to go over and it's football there are no teams that lose money. So if a greedy owner wants to fail his fan base that's on them. For instance if the cap was supposed to be 212 this year but your allowed up to 230 not like 300 but 230 and if you go over the 212 the luxury tax kicks in. It just provides flexibility and after this pandemic it could get players more money but it can also make owners more money as the tax is divided amongst themselves.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A lot of the problem is we trade away our top picks for players who are close to needing to be resigned. We give up our young, cost controlled talent for expensive vets. It doesn't help either that a majority of the players we trade for only last a year or two and you have to eat their contracts. We have drafted fairly well, it could have been a lot better if we had a first rounder more than once a decade.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why? You can cap the amount teams are allowed to go over and it's football there are no teams that lose money. So if a greedy owner wants to fail his fan base that's on them. For instance if the cap was supposed to be 212 this year but your allowed up to 230 not like 300 but 230 and if you go over the 212 the luxury tax kicks in. It just provides flexibility and after this pandemic it could get players more money but it can also make owners more money as the tax is divided amongst themselves.
Maybe just for the pandameic. But if you did it long term big markets would outspend smaller ones to keep talent. I think.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The packers were running 12 play drives and burning half a quarter at a time, the Rams hardly had the ball. When you have a good Ol you can do that. When you have a line that can't pass block to save their lives, you can't. Our line sucks and our WRs are average, especially with no Kupp.
Again though, I'm agreeing lol

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Goff was not the reason we lost this game. The #1 defense gave up 32 points. We had no turnovers.

I believe we are missing the speed burner WR that opens the door for the other receivers.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Interesting how ppl see the same things and have entirely different reactions.

I got the impression that McVay was noticeably lukewarm in his praise of Goff today. Goff played well enough that McVay *could* have sung his praises. For me, it’s a question of tone... “Goff did a nice job” is pretty tepid, especially compared to how McVay gushed about Wolford as “the star offensively.”

And yes, I do believe McVay said the words “right now, yeah” at the very end, but he kind of mumbled them as his voice trailed off, and I don’t think he meant much by it.

Just my opinion, but I think Snead and McVay are actively discussing things with Houston.

I still think it is “probable” that Goff will be the Rams starting QB in 2021, but I don’t think it is definitively settled right now. Regardless, I’m glad that Goff played well today, it’s a good sign for the future.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay is an offensive genius, it's sad that he can't adapt his offense to play to his quarterbacks strength. He seems to not value a good OL as much as he should. In 2018 we had a good line and a deep threat and Goff was good. Maybe if we invested in those areas, Goff would be good again.
WE trade away a top pick for a WR and he doesn't work out and we trade him away the next year. We trade away another top pick for a WR again, sign him to a contract deserving of a #1 receiver and end up eating his contract. We resign a RB long before we have to, we make him the highest paid back ever, then we eat his contract.
Then we use our top picks on a RB and WR and don't invest enough in our line. Then when our offense fails we blame it on our QB that we gave up quite a bit to acquire and resign him to a huge contract. Seems like we have a huge problem with signing our players. There is a lot of blame to go around.