The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It doesn't matter what we think though. The reporters on the zoom call are the ones reporting it. They're the ones saying they heard it.
Yeah, and reporters never blow up stories out of context in order to get their name out there and to make a big splashy story.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give me an ILB, WR, G and CB with those 4 and we have a damned good team but that's just me. I think we can retain Williams and upgrade hill. We have Lewis, Polite, Obo, Rivers and Hollins. Maybe add in a draft pick or a vet minimum free agent or maybe Floyd signs a multi year deal with a minimal cap hit this year. We'll have some cap space we can do a couple restructures. Trade/cut Noteboom, Allen, Lawler, Kiser, Reeder, Young and Webster each frees up 800-900k. It can be done.
I like a the positions you mentioned. I'd go the same route. I feel like we're a team fill of good and not great players right now though. I dunno if limited cap space and lower picks can change that. I get that cap can be manipulated but it'll be especially hard this off-season because of the cut in cap.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Goff gutted it out last week and this week and wasn’t bad in either game. But he didn’t have a good year, and that makes 2 years in a row where he was just a guy out there or worse, a liability.

if we were paying him 3rd tier QB money that would be one thing - but we aren’t.

this offense needs a qb who can process quickly and who can move a bit.

I think I’m ready to see what else is out there.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, and reporters never blow up stories out of context in order to get their name out there and to make a big splashy story.
These are beat writers dude. They're well established. They aren't gonna ruin their reputation by making up stuff.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Here are a couple of things on the Goff thing. If they saying he said it and it sounds like he did then he did. I will say though that to me it is very unlike mcvay to be rude angry or a mean wise ass even after a loss to a bff. He has been a wise ass before but not nasty, although sometimes we all lose it.

I've asked for or about Watson since last year when I through it out there it was met with a resounding beat it lol, but if the niners are throwing Bosa out there there is no chance we can compete with that unless Houston likes and wants Goff as they don't want a full on rebuild and feel Goff keeps them competitive and then able to be cut after two years I think but Bill O'Brien is gone so I doubt that.

Lastly one thing that's not talked about enough while I/we don't know how involved mcvay was on resigning Goff we do know that he inherited Goff it wasn't someone he coveted. So when he was the golden boy surely I'm thinking he had a voice in it though. Many teams/coaches that win...win with the guy they wanted and groomed RT?

Lastly off subject....for all the work he puts in and I realize the whole team works but we all know AD is just a crazy hard worker and his heart and work ethic are unmatched. He makes players better on and off the field if you follow other rams on Instagram you see how they adopt his workouts etc. Example Morgan Fox and then that translates onto the field my point...not sure who saw it but to see him (AD) cry like that and break down probably feeling he let his mates down when he is the main constant to any success this team has. Success starts from him he is the Rams. Seeing that actually broke me. That emotion and if someone like that feels that way we need to get this man a ring. I'm still crushed by seeing him feel like he failed his team that was heartbreaking.

Did you guys catch that?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Rams were 3/10 on third down. They had possessions. Green bay can't have the ball if the Rams offense could stay on the field.
3/10 on 3rd down is only a small part of it. Its not the end all, be all. Goff got his ass kicked on 3rd and longs, because our oline can't hold blocks.

In addition. Our defense couldn't get off the field today. GB killed the clock with one long drive after another.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We also have plenty of holes though. I'm not sure we can spend them on just offensive line for example. Personally I think we need linebackers and edge.
The DL is usually where we spend our cap every year in free agency. It will probably be that way again this year. We don't need to get any OL help because we have a lot of mid tier draft picks that are developing under the coaching of our great line coach. Same story every year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He has been thru the ringer with these beat writers over the past month trying to get the scoop on Who's Starting, How's Goff's thumb, are you happy with Goff, how's Wolford, etc, etc... The words he uses in the presser mean more than what was allegedly said to beat writers IMO. He's got to be spent, and sick of all of them

that’s your projection

I addressed that. What he said was such a shock that the reporters asked no more questions and the guy asking the question didn’t follow up further.

No one but McVay knows what’s in his head. My only point is that it was such a shock that it affected the professional behavior of more than a few reporters. That’s not nothing no matter how many folks want it to be nothing.

what kind of something is it? We’ll eventually find out. But those same reporters that he’s supposedly tired of also spend a lot of time with and around him and it shook them.

Some will dismiss that as nothing and others will take that as 100% confirmation that something is happening.

I just think that it’s something and am interested in finding out what it is. Beyond that, I dunno. I do know that it’s not nothing.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I still think the offense and Goff was/were at its best in an uptempo-hurry up with fly sweeps, motion, quick passing, play action etc...For some odd reason we go away from whats working and decide to slow shit down and become a plodding offense. Goff is a rhythm passer and you saw it tonight. It gives the defense less time to get organized and tires them out big time. Our offensive line is on the smaller side but the advantage is they should be more conditioned. I guess what McVay saw in the SB and early 2019 freaked him out and he decided that he should run a more traditional offense. But thats NOT GOFF! Thats not what this personnel is! McVay needs to look in the mirror and let his QB play to his strengths. Shore up the OLine and stay healthy and I think we’re still a top 5 team
The team lacks explosive playmakers on offense. In 17'-18', they had Gurley & Watson/Cooks... They then allow guys like Kupp & Woods to get deep ocasionaly with the focus on those other guys.

Now we have a bunch of possession WRs and as good as Akers is he is more of a 10-20 yd guy when he breaks free. Only Henderson has that extra gear and he gets hurt too often.

Need a WR that eats up yards when he comes off the snap abd can stretch that secondary vertically.

I think it was a mistake to extend both Woods & Kupp. They are too similar and the same as Jefferson. Imagine adding a Metcalf or Claypool or Tyreke Hill type. A guy who is a physical freak and or can just stretch the field.

Would make a huge impact on the offense. Beef up the interior line, add a playmaker or two on offense and they will be fine.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like a the positions you mentioned. I'd go the same route. I feel like we're a team fill of good and not great players right now though. I dunno if limited cap space and lower picks can change that. I get that cap can be manipulated but it'll be especially hard this off-season because of the cut in cap.
Cap won't be cut just get that thought out of your mind. The NFLPA would throw a shit fit if teams had to cut dozens of their members to get under the cap. TV revenues are going up at the worst we'll have the cap stay the same as it was this year.

Day 2 picks are a great way to build the roster a 2nd round pick is a great way to get an impact player on the roster. Our starting safeties this year were 2 3rd round picks and a 6th round pick and our 4th safety Rapp was a 2nd round pick. Our top 4 WR's, yes we need to add a speed guy but that doesn't have to be a 1st or 2nd round pick, were 2 2nd round picks a 3rd and a 4th round pick. We can upgrade this roster significantly with the picks we have one day 2.

Packers pro bowl center that was great all year? A 5th round pick. It can be done we just need Snead to make the magic happen. Hell trade down with one of our 3rds and add 2 4th's we have an extra day 2 pick. We can probably trade Boom to somebody for a 4th or 5th rounder as well there are always tackle desperate teams.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
3/10 on 3rd down is only a small part of it. Its not the end all, be all. Goff got his ass kicked on 3rd and longs, because our oline can't hold blocks.

In addition. Our defense couldn't get off the field today. GB killed the clock with one long drive after another.
I don't see how what you said is a counter to what I said though. It seems like supporting evidence.

Rams offense couldn't sustain drives which gave the ball back to green bay. Yes, the defense struggled to get off the field as well, but when the Rams did get the ball they gave it right back.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
It wasn't even him. It was Lindsey thiry and rich hammond, who have been pretty good.
I thought Thiry was just the one tweeting about it.
Honestly, though.
She's nothing to write home about either.

Its a shame, Vinny went to the Raiders.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The DL is usually where we spend our cap every year in free agency. It will probably be that way again this year. We don't need to get any OL help because we have a lot of mid tier draft picks that are developing under the coaching of our great line coach. Same story every year.
I kinda wanna go the Cleveland route on the offensive line now. Invest in premium

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
With what money though? Surround him how? We aren't flush with cap and picks to get him premium lineman and recievers.
Metcalf & Claypool were 2nd rounders. Metcalf might have even been a 3rd. Tyreke Hill was even later.

You can find guys to fill those roles. They will have 4 top 100 picks this yr. And next yr a shit load of comp picks plus they have all of theirs. They can improve the roster.