The Goff-season Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
That was my point. I’ve never heard McVay be as unenthusiastic about a player as he was Goff just now.

I think the world of Goff and do think that we can win with him.

I also think Watson is a transcendent talent who’s not a Lamar Jackson type, but a more dynamic Russell Wilson type.

Do we do anything about it?

I dunno. I think we can figure out the ammo if they want to figure it out.

I know they don’t really want Kyle Shanahan to have him, that’s easy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was ready to leave when Plaschke pops in to ask questions, and again he speaks highly of Goff's performance. You cant hear him say "right now" that's a bit of hearsay. But you cant tell the question pissed him off. And why wouldnt it? Answering the same shit over and over for a month, nd now he just wants to get off the podium
Of course it's that pile of shit Plaschke hahahaha

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No one is worth $25 million per year to play football. Goff’s performance this year wasn’t worth $5 million.

Would love to see him growing from what he did in 2018 but that has not happened.
What's different from 2018 and now? Didn't we have a good line with Sullivan, Saffold and a younger Whitworth? I think we had a good deep threat in Cooks. Maybe we would be better if we fixed the OL and got a deep threat?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
How could anyone think Goff was great in a game where they s ores 18 points?

That is not great, it isn’t even average.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was my point. I’ve never heard McVay be as unenthusiastic about a player as he was Goff just now.

I think the world of Goff and do think that we can win with him.

I also think Watson is a transcendent talent who’s not a Lamar Jackson type, but a more dynamic Russell Wilson type.

Do we do anything about it?

I dunno. I think we can figure out the ammo if they want to figure it out.

I know they don’t really want Kyle Shanahan to have him, that’s easy.
Did you hear the press clip of just the Plasche question? He was as enthusiastic as a guy could be after losing a playoff game. He's clearly pissed that they had a shot at 25-18 and didnt capitalize and he namely refers to the Woods screen as that stupid call. Again, they lost, he's destroyed and hes not going to say Goff was great, but he sure said how good he played

Shuie3225

Starter
With what money though? Surround him how? We aren't flush with cap and picks to get him premium lineman and recievers.

Yea this is what I've been thinking. A lot of screaming to upgrade the OL...yet they were much better than last year, and still aren't enough for Goff to be comfortable given his skillset.

So lets look at our OL talent...our Center is bad, both guard spots are average at best. RT is good in the run game, average in pass blocking. Left tackle is solid but 39 years old.

Realistically how much can we improve the OL in one off season? Upgrade center... okay. Is Goff capable of making more protection calls himself at the line? Lets say he is.. So we upgrade at center. We wont upgrade either guard spots given their youth, so we will probably have the same set of guards next year. Maybe we release Hav and start someone else?

My point is even with a change or two, next year we wont have a top 5 OL given our talent and draft capital. We will have another middle of the pack OL next year just like this year. How successful can Goff be given an average OL?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I mean, I would.

But you do you. This thread is already 4 pages. Maybe this will be the true second #questfor100.

Im interested in the conversation. I like exploring the possibilities even as I affirm and reaffirm my support for Goff.

I just don’t get folks who hate a topic and feel compelled to respond. It’s one thing to disagree, but if anyone thinks the topic is stupid, one is always free to skip a thread and move on.

Either way, all love to my Rams bros, sisters and everyone else and here’s to decades of winning football and Championships ahead!

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What was Houston this year 4-12? By the time we give up what Houston wants for Watson, we won't have any more talent than they do. It would be exciting watching Watson run for his life behind our line, but I don't think we would be a winning team and it would be hard filling all the holes with no draft picks or cap.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Did you hear the press clip of just the Plasche question? He was as enthusiastic as a guy could be after losing a playoff game. He's clearly pissed that they had a shot at 25-18 and didnt capitalize and he namely refers to the Woods screen as that stupid call. Again, they lost, he's destroyed and hes not going to say Goff was great, but he sure said how good he played

I covered this in a previous post.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have a 2nd rounder three third rounders and a 4th round pick. Cap space can always be manipulated a bit too.
We also have plenty of holes though. I'm not sure we can spend them on just offensive line for example. Personally I think we need linebackers and edge.

Shuie3225

Starter
We also have plenty of holes though. I'm not sure we can spend them on just offensive line for example. Personally I think we need linebackers and edge.

Not moving up a few picks to get Cushenberry was a complete failure. T Lewis was useless this year and is injured again and we still need to draft center and edge help.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea this is what I've been thinking. A lot of screaming to upgrade the OL...yet they were much better than last year, and still aren't enough for Goff to be comfortable given his skillset.

So lets look at our OL talent...our Center is bad, both guard spots are average at best. RT is good in the run game, average in pass blocking. Left tackle is solid but 39 years old.

Realistically how much can we improve the OL in one off season? Upgrade center... okay. Is Goff capable of making more protection calls himself at the line? Lets say he is.. So we upgrade at center. We wont upgrade either guard spots given their youth, so we will probably have the same set of guards next year. Maybe we release Hav and start someone else?

My point is even with a change or two, next year we wont have a top 5 OL given our talent and draft capital. We will have another middle of the pack OL next year just like this year. How successful can Goff be given an average OL?
Exactly. And people will say the draft but honestly I'd like to see two new inside linebackers as well. So as of today the Rams will need (strictly if we're talking potential upgraded positions):

1. A deep threat/ dynamic reciever
2. 2 sturdier guards
3. Sturdier center
4. 2 inside linebackers
5. Potentially a new starting safety
6. Edge rusher (floyd was a one year deal and honestly I don't want any more edge players that can't get pressure without Donald )

There's no way we can fill all of that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Give me an ILB, WR, G and CB with those 4 and we have a damned good team but that's just me. I think we can retain Williams and upgrade hill. We have Lewis, Polite, Obo, Rivers and Hollins. Maybe add in a draft pick or a vet minimum free agent or maybe Floyd signs a multi year deal with a minimal cap hit this year. We'll have some cap space we can do a couple restructures. Trade/cut Noteboom, Allen, Lawler, Kiser, Reeder, Young and Webster each frees up 800-900k. It can be done.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I covered this in a previous post.
Well, I'm not going to look for it. The link to the presser with the Platschke question is a couple posts up. I dont see how McVay's discussion of Goff can be heard as unenthusiastic, he said he played a good game, loved the way he put the drives together, saw the whole field, tight window throws etc, etc.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you see the TOP?
GB held the ball all fucking day.
Rams were 3/10 on third down. They had possessions. Green bay can't have the ball if the Rams offense could stay on the field.