The 2020 Season (+ Opt outs)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
We sort of lock in on the players.... What if the HC had to go into quarantine? Or a key play caller?

So many contingencies to plan for.

I was thinking about it during the John Wolford interview when they mentioned that with Covid Jared could be forced to sit. That got me thinking, if these guys are all in a room together what happens when all three go down? Do they keep one player isolated like the designation survivor? Do we just gamble and roll with Hekker? Kupp?

It's a damn logistical nightmare, and with reports of some people having permanent lung scarring, it a bad case could potentially ruin someones career.

I think the NFL and players are going to be playing it really smart, or as much as they can in terms of masks and stuff. It wont be perfect, but they'll be outside in the open air, it can be done. Not easy, but not impossible.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
2. How many deaths are ‘acceptable’? Seriously? How many businesses destroyed, how many unemployed (once counted at 45million plus), suicides due to depression, patients not getting needed testing and treatments due to irrational fear of a doctor visit, etc are ‘acceptable’ to you in an impossible pursuit of zero virus deaths?

How could the question of "how many deaths are acceptable" not be taken seriously? It's really unfortunate in such a wealthy country most people have had the choice between putting food on the table or their health forced on them so immediately. Advanced democracies with health care, less inequality, etc. have generally weathered this more successfully.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
unless the coming heat wave slows this thing down i don't see a way in hell we will have a season

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Deaths are down as hospitals gain experience and best practices emerge.

It's also a lagging indicator, so an unknown at this point.
I've been putting off seeing my GP Doc, but finally had too yesterday. Getting old issues :( Anyways, we chatted quite a bit about Covid and she pretty much said the same thing as you. The health care industry has a much better handle on how to deal with this disease than they did 90 days ago. Also @oldnotdead, she also explained the blood clot thing to me. I'm high risk with heart disease and she explained exactly why/how (with regards to clots)

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you understand the potential for long term heart damage due to clotting. It might not kill you but it could leave you even more vulnerable than you are now. I know because I suffered traumatic heart damage during my time in service though I have been denied disability benes by the VA. But that said, I understand the personal sacrifices that are made in one's life. Prior to my service days, I was an avid backcountry hiker. I'd go out for a week with nothing but a simple 15 lb knapsack. I did this almost every weekend I had. But since my injury, I haven't been able to do that.

The problem is the clotting can be systemic not just the lungs, or kidneys, or heart. It can damage them all. If these people wish to gamble with their own lives so be it. But in doing so they are endangering us all and that is unacceptable.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
NFL unveils Oakley Mouth Shield to combat coronavirus

In the name of health and safety, NFL players could be sporting a whole new look in 2020.

The Oakley Mouth Shield -- a product designed by Oakley in collaboration with doctors and engineers from the NFL and NFL Players Association to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus on the field of play -- is expected to be distributed to all 32 teams over the next week, when it will receive a test drive on a much larger scale than it has gotten to date.

Safety protocol negotiations are ongoing between the league and players. Currently, there is no mandate to wear a face shield, but the NFL's medical experts are advocating for the use of the protective equipment.

"That's certainly what we're going to encourage," said Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer. "And we hope that we're going to land on a product design that's something that everyone would want to wear, because they'll see the value and want that additional protection without any detriment to performance."

i

The Oakley Prizm Lens Technology used by skiers, military personnel and, most recently, NFL players for enhanced color and contrast in their visors is featured in the new design. Plastic sheets extend down and attach to the face guard. There are airways and openings on the mouth shield but none that allow the direct transmission of droplets, according to the chair of the NFL's engineering committee, Dr. Jeff Crandall.

The mouth shield has already been distributed to the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers -- two teams close to Oakley's home base -- per NFLPA medical director Dr. Thom Mayer, and has also been sent to various player representatives and equipment managers for feedback.

The two biggest concerns to date have been visibility and breathability, according to Mayer.

"We've only had it on a few players -- we have 2,500 players in the league -- but I was surprised that ... claustrophobia has not been an issue yet," he said. "I think it will be when we [have more players testing them]."

Houston Texans star defensive lineman J.J. Watt, for one, is firmly against the idea of wearing a face shield.

"My second year in the league I thought it'd be cool, I put a visor on my helmet," Watt told ProFootballTalk. "I was like, 'It looks so cool, I wanna put a visor on.' I had it on for about three periods of practice and I said, 'Take this sucker off -- I'm gonna die out here.' ... So now you're gonna put something around my mouth? You can keep that. If that comes into play, I don't think you're gonna see me on the field."

i

The current design, however, is the result of an iterative process based in large part on player feedback, with comfort and functionality top of mind along with protection. Quarterbacks who tested them recently were able to effectively call out plays, Mayer said, following initial responses that the sound was too muffled. There was also broad consideration given to field of view.

Crandall said that Oakley has conducted internal testing in which it has sprayed particles of fluid to represent droplets expelled by players and has seen a high success rate of blocked transmission.

"I don't know that there's a direct percentage that anyone's come up with because a laboratory is not the on-field environment, obviously," Crandall said. "There's lots of things that players do on the fields that they're not easily replicating [in] the laboratory, but it is a significant blockage to transmission of droplets. There is no straight pathway through the face shield or visor for a droplet to be transmitted."

While Oakley is the official supplier of the NFL, there are other manufacturers of face shields, and players may end up using other brands as well in 2020, according to chief revenue officer and executive vice president of NFL partnership Renie Anderson.

Mayer called football "probably the perfect milieu or petri dish in which to transmit the virus," given that it is a contact sport involving a large number of players. The NFL and NFLPA are hoping the different safety measures they are taking, including the introduction of the mouth shield, will lead to a safer environment.

"Just like everything we do, whether we're talking about better cleats or better performing helmets, it's all about something that's safer and yet also protects and in many cases enhances performance," Sills said. "That's the same mantra and the same sort of approach that we're taking here. I'm really pleased with how the work is going along. We're not at a finished product yet. Like most things in health safety, there's really no finish line here. So we're hoping to continue to innovate and improve as we go along. But we're excited about where we are and excited about the potential role this may play in risk mitigation on the field."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Reminder; this thread is about the season and what it will take to happen.

CoVID thread is here:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Reminder; this thread is about the season and what it will take to happen.

CoVID thread is here:

Wait, there’s a Covid thread?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Saturday football remains a possible option for the NFL

As the Patriot League cancels fall sports amid the pandemic, the question becomes when and if larger conferences will do the same. If they do, the question becomes whether the NFL will move games for TV purposes into the prime Saturday spots vacated by major college programs.

Opinions within college football are mixed on the subject of proceeding with a 2020 season. Some are beginning to realize that, given the current state of the outbreak and the extent to which it continues to spread, college football won’t happen this fall. Others hold out hope that the conference-only approach will work.

On one hand, billions of dollars hang in the balance. On the other hand, unpaid players can be expected to assume only so much risk in exchange for room, board, tuition, and snacks.

Through it all, the NFL continues to monitor the situation. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL has not had any formal discussions about the possibility of moving two or three games to Saturdays. The league, per the source, continues to root for college football to happen as scheduled.

That said, the league could recapture plenty of lost game-day stadium revenue by carving out games from the Sunday windows and featuring them on Saturdays. And if the networks aren’t able or willing to pay for the extra games given the financial realities of the pandemic, the league could sell the rights to a streaming provider — or possibly sell the games directly to consumers under its existing preseason/Game Pass model.

If there’s ultimately no college football in 2020 and if the NFL is able to proceed, fans may be willing to pay plenty of money for the ability to watch games on Saturday, if the traditional broadcast models won’t be practical, given the money already devoted to Thursday, Sunday, and Monday football.

Psycho_X

Legend
NFL unveils Oakley Mouth Shield to combat coronavirus

In the name of health and safety, NFL players could be sporting a whole new look in 2020.

The Oakley Mouth Shield -- a product designed by Oakley in collaboration with doctors and engineers from the NFL and NFL Players Association to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus on the field of play -- is expected to be distributed to all 32 teams over the next week, when it will receive a test drive on a much larger scale than it has gotten to date.

Safety protocol negotiations are ongoing between the league and players. Currently, there is no mandate to wear a face shield, but the NFL's medical experts are advocating for the use of the protective equipment.

"That's certainly what we're going to encourage," said Dr. Allen Sills, the NFL's chief medical officer. "And we hope that we're going to land on a product design that's something that everyone would want to wear, because they'll see the value and want that additional protection without any detriment to performance."

i

The Oakley Prizm Lens Technology used by skiers, military personnel and, most recently, NFL players for enhanced color and contrast in their visors is featured in the new design. Plastic sheets extend down and attach to the face guard. There are airways and openings on the mouth shield but none that allow the direct transmission of droplets, according to the chair of the NFL's engineering committee, Dr. Jeff Crandall.

The mouth shield has already been distributed to the Los Angeles Rams and Los Angeles Chargers -- two teams close to Oakley's home base -- per NFLPA medical director Dr. Thom Mayer, and has also been sent to various player representatives and equipment managers for feedback.

The two biggest concerns to date have been visibility and breathability, according to Mayer.

"We've only had it on a few players -- we have 2,500 players in the league -- but I was surprised that ... claustrophobia has not been an issue yet," he said. "I think it will be when we [have more players testing them]."

Houston Texans star defensive lineman J.J. Watt, for one, is firmly against the idea of wearing a face shield.

"My second year in the league I thought it'd be cool, I put a visor on my helmet," Watt told ProFootballTalk. "I was like, 'It looks so cool, I wanna put a visor on.' I had it on for about three periods of practice and I said, 'Take this sucker off -- I'm gonna die out here.' ... So now you're gonna put something around my mouth? You can keep that. If that comes into play, I don't think you're gonna see me on the field."

i

The current design, however, is the result of an iterative process based in large part on player feedback, with comfort and functionality top of mind along with protection. Quarterbacks who tested them recently were able to effectively call out plays, Mayer said, following initial responses that the sound was too muffled. There was also broad consideration given to field of view.

Crandall said that Oakley has conducted internal testing in which it has sprayed particles of fluid to represent droplets expelled by players and has seen a high success rate of blocked transmission.

"I don't know that there's a direct percentage that anyone's come up with because a laboratory is not the on-field environment, obviously," Crandall said. "There's lots of things that players do on the fields that they're not easily replicating [in] the laboratory, but it is a significant blockage to transmission of droplets. There is no straight pathway through the face shield or visor for a droplet to be transmitted."

While Oakley is the official supplier of the NFL, there are other manufacturers of face shields, and players may end up using other brands as well in 2020, according to chief revenue officer and executive vice president of NFL partnership Renie Anderson.

Mayer called football "probably the perfect milieu or petri dish in which to transmit the virus," given that it is a contact sport involving a large number of players. The NFL and NFLPA are hoping the different safety measures they are taking, including the introduction of the mouth shield, will lead to a safer environment.

"Just like everything we do, whether we're talking about better cleats or better performing helmets, it's all about something that's safer and yet also protects and in many cases enhances performance," Sills said. "That's the same mantra and the same sort of approach that we're taking here. I'm really pleased with how the work is going along. We're not at a finished product yet. Like most things in health safety, there's really no finish line here. So we're hoping to continue to innovate and improve as we go along. But we're excited about where we are and excited about the potential role this may play in risk mitigation on the field."

I'm no doctor but the gigantic holes in it seems... not useful? Maybe I don't understand what I'm looking at.

Saturday football remains a possible option for the NFL

As the Patriot League cancels fall sports amid the pandemic, the question becomes when and if larger conferences will do the same. If they do, the question becomes whether the NFL will move games for TV purposes into the prime Saturday spots vacated by major college programs.

Opinions within college football are mixed on the subject of proceeding with a 2020 season. Some are beginning to realize that, given the current state of the outbreak and the extent to which it continues to spread, college football won’t happen this fall. Others hold out hope that the conference-only approach will work.

On one hand, billions of dollars hang in the balance. On the other hand, unpaid players can be expected to assume only so much risk in exchange for room, board, tuition, and snacks.

Through it all, the NFL continues to monitor the situation. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL has not had any formal discussions about the possibility of moving two or three games to Saturdays. The league, per the source, continues to root for college football to happen as scheduled.

That said, the league could recapture plenty of lost game-day stadium revenue by carving out games from the Sunday windows and featuring them on Saturdays. And if the networks aren’t able or willing to pay for the extra games given the financial realities of the pandemic, the league could sell the rights to a streaming provider — or possibly sell the games directly to consumers under its existing preseason/Game Pass model.

If there’s ultimately no college football in 2020 and if the NFL is able to proceed, fans may be willing to pay plenty of money for the ability to watch games on Saturday, if the traditional broadcast models won’t be practical, given the money already devoted to Thursday, Sunday, and Monday football.

I would love this. So much better to get drunk and bloated on eating shitty when you have a day to recover before work.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
What will it be like without fans? I was watching golf on Sunday. In a playoff a guy sinks a 50 foot putt. Normally, the crowd goes nuts over something like that. But all you hear is him yelling "YEAH!" with a fist pump. Quiet after that. You figure that was gonna be a winner. The other guy had more than 30 feet to tie. He sinks his too. Quiet. It ain't the same without fans.

oldnotdead

Legend
I still think their most viable option is a 14 game season starting in October and simply dropping all preseason games and the first two weeks totally. They could then simply move the rest of the schedule back 2 weeks and start in October.

If I have read correctly, the NFLPA won't have a lot of leverage in the sense that players only get paid if they play. Every player except the already wealthy ones would rather have 14 game checks instead of zero. Also, if no games are played then every contract is extended by one year as no players will get credit for the year. That's a huge incentive for the NFLPA to accept a shortened season vs no season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, if no games are played then every contract is extended by one year as no players will get credit for the year. That's a huge incentive for the NFLPA to accept a shortened season vs no season.
Some interesting angles here,
Credited season requires only 3 games checks to a player for benefits purposes
Accrued season requires 6 games active for purposes of free agency, 5th year option etc

-Players will receive an accrued season while on the team’s roster, receiving their full pay while on the active/inactive lists and injured reserve list.
-Players will not receive an accrued season while on the team’s practice squad, physically unable to perform (PUP), non-football injury (NFI), or the Exempt Commissioner Permission list.

So from an NFLPA perspective, they really need at least a 6 game season, however if they cant agree to a viable pay reduction they may be cutting off their own nose to spite their face

oldnotdead

Legend
The players get paid per game per contract. The NFLPA doesn't look to have a lot of leverage in that regard. The last thing both owners and players want is a complete season cancellation. The owners won't want a shorter than 14 game season as it simply gives the players the year on their contract. They need at least a 14 game season to maintain the legitimacy of any playoff and subsequent Super Bowl. Anything less and IMO they would simply cancel the season and it's the players that will take the major hit.

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
from what I understand, the Patriots have announced they will be limiting fans to 20% capacity for home games.

i an only imagine the money season ticket holder will be getting when they put tix up on ebay

Ram65

Legend
Philly can't have any sports crowds at games. Zero fans at least until late Feb 2021.