The 2020 Season (+ Opt outs)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Apparently the NFL is fully intent upon playing the entire 16 game schedule. Their idea is to push things back if need be a week or more if need be. It's been floated that preseason will probably be no more than 2 games. Contingency structuring in the scheduling apparently has been made. Here's an interesting article for those that might have missed it. I hope they simply move the entire schedule back instead of moving early games to be tacked on to the end of the year. I would rather the Rams play Philly and Buffalo in Sept or even October than in January. It would make more sense to simply delay the start by two weeks and shift the entire season as is back to end in the middle of January. Anyway, it's interesting reading.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
NFL To Use Flat Cap To Account For Lost Revenue From COVID-19 Pandemic?

As the NFL prepares for its 2020 season amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the league is already bracing for a mind-blowing revenue hit this year. Fortunately, the league is already preparing for it with a potentially creative solution.

NFL plans to use flat cap for 2021 salary cap

If the NFL regular season begins in September, which remains the expectation, the league will allow very few fans to attend games early on. While dramatically cutting stadium attendance will help keep people safe through social distancing, it will cost the league financially.

As the NFL’s optimism for fans attending games this year declines, the chances of the league losing billions of dollars in revenue increases. While there is now fear NFL teams could each lose $40-plus million in revenue this season due to the ongoing crisis, the league might have found a way to avoid a disastrous situation for the 2021 salary cap.

“The thought process now, is that the NFL and NFLPA will somehow be able to get the cap to be flat next year,” Ian Rapoport said, via The Rich Eisen Show. “There’s going to be some lost revenue, could be as much as $40 or $50 million per team, then you have the new tv deals. There are ways where they can sorta make up the money and finagle it, so the cap is flat.”

Discussions are already ongoing between the NFL and the NFL Players Association. While an agreement on the cap structure is necessary before the 2020 season begins, both parties reportedly think it will happen.

What is a flat salary cap?

The NFL has enjoyed record-setting revenue after each season for several years now and it is set at $198.2 million this season. It marks the sixth consecutive year the cap increased by $10-plus million, according to CBS Sports. However, with the looming economic hit that will hurt the league this season, a flat cap could help players and teams avoid a disastrous situation.

The 2021 salary cap was expected to skyrocket next season before the pandemic following a newly signed collective bargaining agreement. Now with reduced attendance and a projected drop in consumer spending, it would likely fall significantly.

However, instead of shaving off $30 million off the 2021 salary cap, the NFL would spread it out across several years of the CBA. The league would be able to do this thanks to labor peace and even more streams of revenue that are on the way.

Specific to this season, teams will tarp off the lower rows of their stadium and use those spaces to sell advertising space. It would generate millions of dollars, helping lessen the blow from a pandemic-related financial hit due to a drop in gate revenue.

Beyond the 2020 season, the NFL is already negotiating new deals with television networks for broadcasting rights to games. Between future contracts with NBC, ESPN, FOX and CBS, the NFL could pull in billions of dollars each year in revenue. Pair that with the NFL’s pacts with Amazon and other potential streaming services, it all leads to more money for the league.

In the end, the NFL should easily make it through any potential revenue hit this season. While navigating the salary cap might be a bit tougher for teams next season, the future remains bright and profitable.

Psycho_X

Legend
With the new spikes putting the US over it’s peak high months ago I don’t think it’s going to happen. The complete lack of caring by a huge chunk of the population is going to see this explode out of hand by the end of July just in time to lock up a lot of states again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With the new spikes putting the US over it’s peak high months ago I don’t think it’s going to happen. The complete lack of caring by a huge chunk of the population is going to see this explode out of hand by the end of July just in time to lock up a lot of states again.
I agree that the season will probably be scrubbed. NFL is probably figuring out all that stuff right now in anticipation of that happening.

But also and this is JMO here but I think we are going to need to let this fucking virus do its thing a bit in order to build the immunity levels we need for it to die out. In a way it just seems to me that our isolation approach has prevented that from happening. It's saved lives certainly. But it's also dragged out the when we can move on.

I don't think it's possible for the entire western world to sustain its economic success for much longer. IMO we're at that point where we need to discuss moving forward, and in this current political environment that is probably going to be impossible to have that conversation in a meaningful way. So these spurts of dumbass people assembling and spreading it will--the way I see it at least--be helpful in assisting us in eventually getting past it.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have a feeling 2020 will be the year of no sports among the top 3 or 4 sports leagues. I know they all have plans to make it work. But I'm not optimistic. And if they do play, how much will fans be interested in watching teams play with empty seats?

I think all it takes is a certain amount of positive new cases among players, coaches and staff to shut it down. Is it possible to quarantine a whole team for months to keep them away from being exposed? Much less a whole league of teams?

bluecoconuts

Legend
I have a feeling 2020 will be the year of no sports among the top 3 or 4 sports leagues. I know they all have plans to make it work. But I'm not optimistic. And if they do play, how much will fans be interested in watching teams play with empty seats?

I think all it takes is a certain amount of positive new cases among players, coaches and staff to shut it down. Is it possible to quarantine a whole team for months to keep them away from being exposed? Much less a whole league of teams?

The seats wouldn't bother me, you can do things to make the emptiness less distracting. Pumping in noise sounds stupid, but it does work for the home viewer. They can actually rent out sections for sponsors to have banners, which would distract from the seats being empty. It would be different, but if the players are able to act the same, then they should be able to easily fake it so the home viewing experience is still good.

Shit, with the Rams being in LA, If I were them, I'd take that opportunity to get Hollywood to do some sort of magic to make the experience the best on TV, make it the most entertaining version of the game.

That being said, I think that the season is likely in jeopardy unless we can get things under control, which seems unlikely at this point. I don't think we're close to ready for camp to be opening, and that's less than a month out. Really sucks, I'm still crossing my fingers, but the longer this goes on the less likely it becomes.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can see them canceling preseason altogether and going to a 14 game season by eliminating the first two weeks and moving everything back two weeks. That will mean a season start in October. An additional 90 days could make a big difference. From 1961 thru 1977 the NFL played 14 games. However, players would have to accept a loss of 2 game checks. That's a big hit for the bottom of the roster guys with the loss being at least $60K. But considering they will still make well over $400K they would be foolish to not accept it.

If the season is completely canceled no players get paid so 14 game checks are better than none.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see them canceling preseason altogether and going to a 14 game season by eliminating the first two weeks and moving everything back two weeks. That will mean a season start in October. An additional 90 days could make a big difference. From 1961 thru 1977 the NFL played 14 games. However, players would have to accept a loss of 2 game checks. That's a big hit for the bottom of the roster guys with the loss being at least $60K. But considering they will still make well over $400K they would be foolish to not accept it.

If the season is completely canceled no players get paid so 14 game checks are better than none.
All of which would have to be collectively bargained, look at MLB

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
MLB botched, butchered and obliterated their season and so many fans with their all around greed IMO...let’s hope the NFL owners and NFLPA don’t do the same if a season came happen.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
MLB botched, butchered and obliterated their season and so many fans with their all around greed IMO...let’s hope the NFL owners and NFLPA don’t do the same if a season came happen.
I read all of your posts in my head with a serious, measured Ron Swanson voice.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If the NFL wants to make money, I think it is in their best interest to pull their rights from Direct. They could use a similar, but cheaper route for fans. Offering single game passes for $10 or something. Offering all of Sunday games or even a season pass. I miss a lot of Rams games right now, living in St.Louis and not having Direct. I would gladly pay to watch football. Without hesitation. And I believe everyone would. They would just have to be careful not to over charge and single out those who can't afford high dollar packages.

nighttrain

Legend
If the NFL wants to make money, I think it is in their best interest to pull their rights from Direct. They could use a similar, but cheaper route for fans. Offering single game passes for $10 or something. Offering all of Sunday games or even a season pass. I miss a lot of Rams games right now, living in St.Louis and not having Direct. I would gladly pay to watch football. Without hesitation. And I believe everyone would. They would just have to be careful not to over charge and single out those who can't afford high dollar packages.
and offer senior discounts, has to be some perk for living past 70, sure aint quality of life, haha
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
and offer senior discounts, has to be some perk for living past 70, sure aint quality of life, haha
train

One strategy for 70... act like you’re 90 in public.

Take every favor you can get! lol

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Actually, some good news is emerging, although the MSM seems reluctant to share it.

Yeah, positive test results are up. But testing is up exponentially. We’re now testing hundreds of thousands per day now. Obviously, when testing increases a hundredfold, more positives will be discovered. Duh!

But here’s the thing. Covid death rates have been trending down steadily for months now. And isn’t that the relevant issue?

My point? There could be an NFL season once the public wraps their head around the fact that this virus is not dangerous for the non-vulnerable. The solution is for the vulnerable to self quarantine and let the rest of us get back to normal.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Actually, some good news is emerging, although the MSM seems reluctant to share it.

Yeah, positive test results are up. But testing is up exponentially. We’re now testing hundreds of thousands per day now. Obviously, when testing increases a hundredfold, more positives will be discovered. Duh!

But here’s the thing. Covid death rates have been trending down steadily for months now. And isn’t that the relevant issue?

My point? There could be an NFL season once the public wraps their head around the fact that this virus is not dangerous for the non-vulnerable. The solution is for the vulnerable to self quarantine and let the rest of us get back to normal.
Stop making sense!!!

C19 has likely been around since last fall and the world didn't end over it. Be considerate and smart and get on with life. The thing about the NFL that worries me is all of the older coaches that are at a higher risk of hospitalization and death if they catch the bug. Hard to see the season happening with all of the drama, fear and misinformation all over the media.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Deaths are down...but not hospitalization. It’s not the flu for ppl who get symptoms. And it’s not just the old getting symptoms. In fact, that rate is increasing for the 20-40 crowd.

the players and league will ultimately need to decide between potential getting the virus with symptoms (death is low, so we’ll ignore that for sake of argument) versus losing a season. Personally I hope they go for it - as I sit from my comfy couch.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
Deaths are down as hospitals gain experience and best practices emerge.

It's also a lagging indicator, so an unknown at this point.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Exactly. Both deaths and hospitalizations should be down. But the latter is growing with is a big concern. In football terms, it’s like a new offensive system- initially should be successful but once teams get film on it they will figure it out some and be better prepared (and better results).
We basically need to hope for either some successful treatment or the virus dies down somewhat - until a vaccine is found. Until then, sports as we know it might be on hold.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

The NFL has shortened its 2020 preseason to two games, a source said, part of a larger acclimatization plan for players after an unprecedented virtual offseason program during the coronavirus pandemic.

In essence, the league canceled Weeks 1 and 4 of its original preseason schedule. It had previously canceled its Aug. 8 Hall of Fame game. Most players will still report to training camp on July 28, but the first preseason games won't be played until Aug. 20-24. The second week of preseason games is scheduled for Aug. 27-31. Some re-shuffling of the original preseason schedule for Weeks 2 and 3 are underway, as each team will play one home game and one on the road.

Teams that travel will depart on the day before games. The primary driver for restructuring the preseason was a consensus between the NFL and the NFL Players Association that players will need more time than normal to get in football shape this summer.

No teams were able to practice on the field during the offseason, and many gyms and other conditioning settings have been closed. The NFL's standard preseason has been four games since it was shortened from six games in 1978. It is expected to be cut further when owners activate a provision in the collective bargaining agreement to extend the regular season to 17 games, which they can do as early as 2021.

When that happens, the preseason would shrink to no more than three games for each team. Of more immediate concern, however, is the health of players during training camp in 2020.

The NFL and the NFLPA continue to discuss protocols for reopening of team facilities, testing programs and other matters related to playing amid a pandemic. Sources close to the discussions say there is no hard deadline for a finalizing of protocols, but that if training camps are to start on time (July 28 for all but two teams), there's a sense on both sides that an agreement needs to be reached by the end of next week.

One reason for this is that there's a chance the league will ask players and team personnel to quarantine at home for two weeks before leaving for camp. This doesn't even account for newly imposed rules in states like New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts that ask people coming from states where coronavirus cases are spiking to quarantine for two weeks upon arrival.

The NFL/NFLPA committee will soon issue a set of guidelines that spells out an acclimatization schedule for the 23 days of training camp before the first preseason game.