TE Temarrick Hemingway Looking to Make An Impact

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think that Hemingway is going to open some eyes this season.

Ram65

Legend
It's not the same message at all. I've accepted that Higs is not going to morph into something that he's not. But that said I do think McVay wants mismatches from his TE position in the passing game.

Not really much more to it than that. They might improve, and I hope they do. But I think the position as a whole has a ways to go to get where McVay wants it and it might not get there with the current lineup of players unless they show enormous improvement as a group.

It comes down to expectations and perspective. We don't know exactly what McVay's expectations were for the TEs last year. We don't know what McVay's evaluation was for them last year either. I think the glass is half full for the TE group. Next year it could be 75 percent filled or more. Had both Higbee and Everett made 2-3 more plays each and everyone''s evaluation would have been much different. I think this year they make those plays and more. My perspective is they are close to performing as expected (year two in the system) and yours seems to be they are far away. Time will tell.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Assumed facts that have no evidentiary basis;
Higbee has a reputation for dropping passes.

Higbee cannot catch in traffic.

Higbee drops passes because of fear.

Higbee is not a good blocker.

Posters thought that Temarrick Hemingway would be the starter.

Coaches will start replacing players because of lack of production.

I personally see it as these are 2nd and 3rd year players in a complex offense that were not used a whole lot in the passing game because it is a complex offense.

McVay knows what he's doing and will incorporate them more this season.
IMO.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Everett caught 16 of 32 targets 50%
Higbee caught 25 of 45 targets 55.6%

Rams fans say Higbee can’t catch but Everett can, Everett also fumbled. They’re a young group and tight ends usually take a year or two to develop. Add in Carrier and the tight end group combined had fewer targets than Gurley and Kupp. There’s no reason for all this panic, let the guys develop!

proof that people see what they want to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It comes down to expectations and perspective. We don't know exactly what McVay's expectations were for the TEs last year. We don't know what McVay's evaluation was for them last year either.

Of course it comes down to perspective, given how opinions are what we do here.

As to knowing what McVay's expectations are, we'll have to agree to disagree. Put in some tape of Washington's offense under Sean. That's the kind of mix I believe he wants to have, and why he took Everette in his first draft as Rams head coach. The TE position was his baby before he became an OC, the position is not only near and dear to his heart, but it's also one that was centric to the success of the offense his roots are steeped in. There is absolutely zero chance he was happy with the production the position provided last year. No chance.

Looking ahead to this year, both Higs & Everett have a great opportunity. World class positional coaching, and an offense that is capable and willing to set them up to be superstars if they play up to snuff. It's possible both make huge strides in year two under this staff. But at this point I am just keeping my expectations realistic. Hemingway might face real competition this year with McElroy. Everette is only going into year two, granted, but if he can't make significant strides the TE position could still see some fresh blood brought in for competition. Higs also has a chance still, but this being year three he's nearing that point where he is what he is.

I don't think I'm being overly negative or anything, just trying to be realistic. I do believe Everette could be a monster in this offense still, for the record. But he's got a ways to go man.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh and ironically enough...

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...s-gerald-everett-sean-mcvay-otas-news-update/

Sean McVay says Gerald Everett has 'stood out' in OTAs
Cameron DaSilva

The Los Angeles Rams didn’t get a ton out of their tight ends last season with Tyler Higbee and Gerald Everett only catching a combined 41 passes. On an offense that featured so many playmakers, it’s easy to see how the tight ends might get a bit lost in the shuffle.

That’s not to say Sean McVay will phase tight ends out of the offense, of course. While he was with the Redskins, that was one of the most important positions with the likes of Vernon Davis and Jordan Reed playing at an extremely high level.

Entering Year 2 in Los Angeles, McVay is excited about the group of players he has at tight end, namely Everett.

“We’ve got a deep receiving group, but I also think we’ve got a deep tight end group,” McVay said this week. “Shane [Waldron] has done a great job developing those guys. Gerald Everett’s been one of the guys that’s stood out really throughout the offseason program so far in terms of getting better. You see the overall athleticism, he’s getting better with the attention to detail.”

Transitioning from college to the pros at tight end is one of the most difficult positions to do that at, which is why many players don’t have immediate success. Everett made the most of his opportunities as a rookie with a whopping 15.3 yards per catch, but he only had 16 receptions.

Tyler Higbee was the primary tight end for McVay, but expect to see them on the field plenty next season. The same goes for Temarrick Hemingway, who missed all of 2017 with a broken leg.

“Tyler Higbee came back, kind of hitting his stride where he left off and I thought he got better being an all-purpose player for us where he’s able to play on first, second and third down and be productive both in the run and pass game,” McVay said. “Getting Temarrick Heming way off of that injury, he looks healthy. So, it’s a good group and we expect those guys to continue to push each other.”

Hemingway is a particularly intriguing player. At 6-foot-5, 244 pounds, he has the sheer size and length to be a No. 1 tight end both as a receiver and blocker. McVay didn’t get a chance to use him at all in the regular season last year, but he expanded on his potential role this week.

“When you just look at Temarrick, he’s what they’re supposed to look like,” McVay said. “Great size, great length. He can truly play that Y position, but he’s also athletic enough to move around in kind of that ‘F’ role we identify on our offense. But I think he’s able to play inline, he can reach Sam linebackers, he can protect in some of the play-actions and different things. But then he’s also a viable receiving option, so I think in an ideal world, he is your Y tight end, but that’s not exclusive to him being able to move around just based on the athleticism, and so far he’s demonstrated that.”

It has yet to be determined how much each player will see the field in 2018, but one thing is clear: McVay really likes this tight end group. There’s good variety with each guy’s size, athleticism and blocking ability, which gives McVay plenty of options.

Ram65

Legend
script>
There is absolutely zero chance he was happy with the production the position provided last year. No chance.

“Tyler Higbee came back, kind of hitting his stride where he left off and I thought he got better being an all-purpose player for us where he’s able to play on first, second and third down and be productive both in the run and pass game,” McVay said.

In McVay's own words..This is how he sees Higbee. I think McVay was happy about some things Higbee and Everett did last year. Certainly not everything but some things.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I don't think I'm being overly negative or anything, just trying to be realistic. I do believe Everette could be a monster in this offense still, for the record. But he's got a ways to go man.

“We’ve got a deep receiving group, but I also think we’ve got a deep tight end group,” McVay said this week. “Shane [Waldron] has done a great job developing those guys. Gerald Everett’s been one of the guys that’s stood out really throughout the offseason program so far in terms of getting better. You see the overall athleticism, he’s getting better with the attention to detail.”

Looks like Everett is ready to take that enormous leap.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Of course it comes down to perspective, given how opinions are what we do here.

As to knowing what McVay's expectations are, we'll have to agree to disagree. Put in some tape of Washington's offense under Sean. That's the kind of mix I believe he wants to have, and why he took Everette in his first draft as Rams head coach. The TE position was his baby before he became an OC, the position is not only near and dear to his heart, but it's also one that was centric to the success of the offense his roots are steeped in. There is absolutely zero chance he was happy with the production the position provided last year. No chance.

Looking ahead to this year, both Higs & Everett have a great opportunity. World class positional coaching, and an offense that is capable and willing to set them up to be superstars if they play up to snuff. It's possible both make huge strides in year two under this staff. But at this point I am just keeping my expectations realistic. Hemingway might face real competition this year with McElroy. Everette is only going into year two, granted, but if he can't make significant strides the TE position could still see some fresh blood brought in for competition. Higs also has a chance still, but this being year three he's nearing that point where he is what he is.

I think the position group as a whole has the most room for improvement on O and possibly the entire team. But with a very young QB in his first year with a new O and the TEs learning this O, I think it is hard to know what to expect out of them this season.

I think there will be more emphasis on that group this season as well as some more deep passes with the addition of Cooks. But it is hard to look at the NFL's #1 offense in its first year together and say that there was a lot more opportunity to go around. Hell - we didn't even have a 1,000 yard receiver in all that. I'm thinking that bugged McVay as well. I don't think they balked on Sammy and then signed Cooks because they were happy with the production there either. I don't think he wanted a decoy to stretch the field. I think he wanted a RECEIVER to stretch the field.

Now with that receiver in place, this offense looks to be even more balanced. It is going to be very difficult for defenses to let Cooks streak down the sideline even with help coming over the top. Our TEs will probably have more open looks as I think teams tried to take McVay's known leanings away from him. With him still coaching the #1 offense, what do they take away from him now? Cooks over the top? Gurley out of the backfield? Kupp all over the field? The combination of Cooks and Woods streaking down the field? If they pick any one of those poisons, it should open up the TE. And McVay tends to like to get the ball to two TEs. That should - as you said - give them a great opportunity.

All that said, if the TE role with this team is to keep Goff upright and block downfield and the result is still a great offense? I'm ok with that and McVay may very well be also. So many times you heard that Sammy's impact was more than just catches and yards. The same can be said of the TE group.

I know about McVay's history with the group but I also have become a bit jaded to the role of the TE with our team as I don't recall ever really having one make a huge impact throughout a season.

All in all - I'm not sure that THIS offense needs or will rely on the TE production as much as McVay did in WA. I think it will increase production but maybe not by as much as many think.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Sean McVay says Gerald Everett has 'stood out' in OTAs

Transitioning from college to the pros at tight end is one of the most difficult positions.

one thing is clear: McVay really likes this tight end group. There’s good variety with each guy’s size, athleticism and blocking ability, which gives McVay plenty of options.
This is all from Cameron DaSilva, a respected journalist.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Now with that receiver in place, this offense looks to be even more balanced. It is going to be very difficult for defenses to let Cooks streak down the sideline even with help coming over the top. Our TEs will probably have more open looks as I think teams tried to take McVay's known leanings away from him. With him still coaching the #1 offense, what do they take away from him now? Cooks over the top? Gurley out of the backfield? Kupp all over the field? The combination of Cooks and Woods streaking down the field? If they pick any one of those poisons, it should open up the TE. And McVay tends to like to get the ball to two TEs. That should - as you said - give them a great opportunity.

Pretty much agree with all you said there. McVay isn't Fisher. He has extremely high expectations and he's not going to come out and blast dudes in the media but make no mistake that dude ain't gonna settle and yes Cooks is a good example of that.

One other thing though, is that if Everette can actually be a matchup problem for McVay next year on top of Cooks' addition, we might see 500+ yards added to Goff's passing total. Could see him get up to around that 4500 yard range if all goes well.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
One other thing though, is that if Everette can actually be a matchup problem for McVay next year on top of Cooks' addition, we might see 500+ yards added to Goff's passing total. Could see him get up to around that 4500 yard range if all goes well.
Yeah - I'm expecting an additional 500 yards passing and looking at the TEs for much of that increase. The rest will probably be taken by Cooks with a distinct possibility they cut down a bit on Gurley's targets to keep him fresh and ready to re-unleash that in the playoffs.

I fully expect McVay to change things up this season by adding plays and looks. I can't help but think that a fair amount of that will involve the TE group and it makes sense that Everette will get more targets while maybe Higbee is that more all around TE that gets a few more touches but is more involved in blocking schemes. They can do that without tipping off the defense as defenses still can't rule out Higbee as a big target especially in a check down role if the pocket breaks down or where he stays in to block and then peels off. I think Everette will probably be targeted more on seam, wheel, post routes and the like because he can get behind LBs while Higbeast gets more of his yards on things like sneak and stop routes. I guess we'll see how it plays out but I don't think either one of them has hit their ceiling. If Hemmingway can come in and make some plays, that is a pretty decent group.

Ram65

Legend

Boy that is fun to think about!

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
And the other TE on the team can't make that block on the edge that springs Gurley for 40 yards instead of whiffing and he gets hit in the back field. Each player makes plays for the team. Some are just subtle, I get he dropped passes but he made some good catches as well and made some great blocks.

Yep, I think McVay primarily valued Higbee's blocking ability because that Jordan Reed role was actually taken over--and well exceeded--by Gurley. I think this might be another indication of the flexibility genius of McVay. He noticed early on Gurley could catch and run.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep, I think McVay primarily valued Higbee's blocking ability because that Jordan Reed role was actually taken over--and well exceeded--by Gurley. I think this might be another indication of the flexibility genius of McVay. He noticed early on Gurley could catch and run.
People fail to acknowledge that we threw the ball 100 times less last year than McVay's offenses in Washington averaged. Sorry but there are going to be spots with less production when that happens. And a large portion of that production came from us running the ball 75 more times. Having young unproven tight ends learning the offense McVay ended up running the ball more. It's not the end of the world that our young guys caught fewer passes and were targeted less, it's how our coach ran the offense.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

As great as Gurley is there is really no substitute for having a TE who can beat matchups in the passing game in the WCO. If McVay can get these guys going, even just get one of them going, that element will be the difference in scoring 13 points against Atlanta at home in the playoffs or being that offense that you really can't shut down.

Rams have great matchups at wideout. RB same. Gurley did carry some of that load, but IMO if they can raise the bar at TE it is going to make this offense just about unstoppable.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
People fail to acknowledge that we threw the ball 100 times less last year than McVay's offenses in Washington averaged. Sorry but there are going to be spots with less production when that happens. And a large portion of that production came from us running the ball 75 more times. Having young unproven tight ends learning the offense McVay ended up running the ball more. It's not the end of the world that our young guys caught fewer passes and were targeted less, it's how our coach ran the offense.
Pretty much. It’s how he ran the 2017 Rams offense.

Let’s all keep in mind also that it wasn’t just the players’ 1st year in a new system. McVay was learning the personnel - both coaches and players - throughout last season. Hell... he was learning himself and his OWN system last year. He was a first year HC having never been one even in college. That is a lot of figurin’ out to do.

I’m really interested to see just how this team and offense differs from the first year. I am of the opinion that the TE group will play a bigger role but it's still really hard to say. And hopefully coaches of other teams are as curious.