TE Temarrick Hemingway Looking to Make An Impact

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Returning-from-Injury-Hemingway-Looking-to-Make-Impact/4dc37519-7ae9-4350-9b29-9c3bf0f19984

Returning from Injury, Hemingway Looking to Make Impact
Myles Simmons

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcsE8D5ZXZE

He knew it was bad as soon as it happened.

Early in the second quarter of last year’s third preseason contest against the Chargers, Rams tight end Temarrick Hemingway lined up between right tackle Rob Havenstein and tight end Tyler HIgbee for an inside handoff to running back Malcolm Brown. Though Brown’s run went nine yards, it also would end up costing Hemingway his season.

With Hemingeway engaged in a block at the line of scrimmage with defensive end Melvin Ingram, defensive tackle Damion Square dove right into the back of the Ram’s left leg.

Hemingway said he heard a crack. Then he had one thought.

“I was just hoping it wasn’t a career-ending injury,” Hemingway told therams.com this week.

As we know now, his hope was realized. Hemingway did suffer a broken fibula that prematurely ended his 2017 season. He has, however, been a full participant in Los Angeles OTAs.

“I still have things that I have to work on with the leg, of course. I still feel a couple of things,” he admits.

But going through a serious injury that forced him to simply watch the Rams’ successful 2017 season unfold gave him a renewed appreciation for the game.

“It’s like — you don’t really think about how important football is to you until you’re taken out of it, unfortunately, like I was,” Hemingway said.

And it wasn’t all negative. Hemingway noted he appreciates the perspective he gained from watching things both from the sideline and on television — even as he wished he could contribute to Los Angeles’ eventual division title.

“I couldn’t be anything but happy for the guys because they put in the work and I was just happy to be a part of it — being there with them, giving them my insight on things I see from the sideline, or on TV,” Hemingway said. “So it wasn’t necessarily a bad thing that I sat out, because I got to see things from a different perspective. So I’m just pretty fortunate that I got that chance to sit back and watch from another perspective.”

Now that he’s back, Hemingway is ready to compete and contribute at tight end for the offense. Head coach Sean McVay started with Hemingway’s size — he’s listed at 6-foot-5 and 251 pounds — as one of the reasons the South Carolina State product may make an impact for L.A. in 2018.

“When you just look at Temarrick, he’s what they’re supposed to look like — great size, great length,” McVay said. “I think he can truly play that wide position, but he’s also athletic enough to be able to move around in kind of that ‘F’ role that we identify on our offense.

“But I think he’s able to play in-line, he can reach ‘Sam’ linebackers, he can protect in some of the play actions and different things, but then he’s also a viable receiving option,” McVay continued. “So I think in an ideal world he is your wide tight end, but that’s not exclusive to him being able to move around just based on the athleticism. And so far he’s demonstrated that.”

For his part, Hemingway said he feels he fits in well with the position group and the offense. And he’d like to help take the Rams’ TEs to the next level in the upcoming season.

“I would take that as another opportunity to do that, because I bring both aspects to the game,” Hemingway said. “I’m a blocking tight end, and I can receive as well. So just bringing that versatility to the game, giving the defense two things to defend.”

And even though they’re all technically going head-to-head for roster spots, Hemingeway said he feels he has a good rapport with the entire tight ends group.

“I love those guys. We’re all competing here, but we’re all helping each other get better as well because we’re all going to contribute. So the better we are as a group, the better we’ll be as an offense.”

While the offseason program has gone well for Hemingway, the tight end said there’s still plenty of progress to be made before the team disperses until training camp begins in late July.

“Mentally, I want to be 100 percent correct on everything. I don’t want any mental mistakes,” Hemingway said. “And I want to get my job done efficiently.”

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm pretty sure he can block better and catch better than higbee. That puts him in the running for the #1 guy.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
eh, I don't see anything that jumps off the page when i look at him. But who knows! right? This will be the year he will make an impact or wont. If i had to put money on a TE it would be Higbee, he had the case of the dropski's last year in traffic but he constantly got open and made himself useful to this team. I think he takes off this year, he has all the tools.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm pretty sure he can block better and catch better than higbee. That puts him in the running for the #1 guy.

Criticize Higbee all you want for his drops but he was a damned good blocker by seasons end.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Criticize Higbee all you want for his drops but he was a damned good blocker by seasons end.

Betting on Higbee to be the best TE on the roster, have a feeling those drops will turn into catches and he is by far the best blocking TE on the roster.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Everett is by far the best athlete but higbee has improved as a blocker.

Higbee made a few bad drops but he also had a few nice grabs.

There is enough snaps for all 3 of them to make a significant impact. I wouldn't be surprised to see Everett at play at WR

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The best thing that Temmarick Hemingway has going for him is that is a Carolina man.

Just like Todd Gurley and Torry Holt.
Roman Gabriel, Jim Youngblood, James Worthy, Michael Jordan.

We only crank out the best around here.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I can't get past his inability to make a catch with a defender on him. It contaminates any feelings i have towards him as a solid te.

Ram65

Legend
It's good competition for all of them.

Higbee good blocker
Everett underrated blocker
Hemingway unknown blocker

If Hemingway can get up to speed the Rams will be able to rotate three TEs and keep them fresh. Both Higbee and Everett will turn the corner. Remember Higbee's college video? He is a big dude that has gotten stronger. He can use a little better luck on those tough contested catches. Everett sounds ready by stating his head was spinning last year learning the Rams offense while still having his college offense in his head. Hemingway has some catching up to do but, has the drive to compete. He also has the talent and size to be part of the TE rotation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcQeMGsOQM

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Hemingway has a ton of upside IMO. He can block better than you think. It was a small sample size, but he got some real good push in short yardage running situations in preseason action before the injury. His quickness and agility are almost as good as Everett, but he's a bigger and longer guy. I think he could do damage in 2 TE sets. With everyone else drawing attention, I could see him winning match ups on LBs and Safeties.
Hopefully he's healthy for camp so he has the best chance possible of competing. That's all you can hope for.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The guy hasn't even had a chance to perform yet.
I'm going to hold my opinion until he's actually had a chance to perform.

Before the season's over he could end up being the number one tight end for all we know.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't get past his inability to make a catch with a defender on him. It contaminates any feelings i have towards him as a solid te.

And the other TE on the team can't make that block on the edge that springs Gurley for 40 yards instead of whiffing and he gets hit in the back field. Each player makes plays for the team. Some are just subtle, I get he dropped passes but he made some good catches as well and made some great blocks.