Starting to think we need to make a move or do something about our DE situation if we want a chance of repeating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I’ve said, more than once, that this team will have to find different ways to generate pressure.. and I’m hopeful the secondary will be better. ILBs should be much better.

Could the Rams have won the SB last year without him? With the other losses they had on D? It would’ve been tough.

He was a difference maker in the playoffs.

There are a few players that could’ve had a similar impact… Ramsey and Kupp are probably the best comps.

Stafford & Donald are another tier, imo.

You are going to have to make up for a significant loss on D by losing him. Can they? It’s possible, but they’re gonna need several guys to step up.
That's fine.

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, it's a different defense. Gone are Von Miller, DWill and SJD (also Obo Okronkwo and Troy Reeder but the impact of those 2 losses should be minimal). New faces include Bobby Wagner, Troy Hill and the draft picks. Plus Greg Gaines starting for a full season. Ernest Jones and Robert Rochell in their 2nd year. Travin Howard and Nick Scott who both emerged towards the end of the year.

I am not trying to minimize the HOF player Von Miller has been. I'm just trying not to over emphasize the impact he had. Because though he is a HOF player.....and he did help the Rams, particularly in the postseason......I think he's an older, lesser version of the guy named Von Miller. And he'll be a year older this season. We just see it differently, that's all.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
That's fine.

At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, it's a different defense. Gone are Von Miller, DWill and SJD (also Obo Okronkwo and Troy Reeder but the impact of those 2 losses should be minimal). New faces include Bobby Wagner, Troy Hill and the draft picks. Plus Greg Gaines starting for a full season. Ernest Jones and Robert Rochell in their 2nd year. Travin Howard and Nick Scott who both emerged towards the end of the year.

I am not trying to minimize the HOF player Von Miller has been. I'm just trying not to over emphasize the impact he had. Because though he is a HOF player.....and he did help the Rams, particularly in the postseason......I think he's an older, lesser version of the guy named Von Miller. And he'll be a year older this season. We just see it differently, that's all.

I don’t think that’s unreasonable, when it comes to expectations for Miller.

That being said.. when the subject is about whether they need help? What is returning and what has come in would seem to be a significant step back with what the Rams won the Super Bowl with.

Does it mean they’re screwed? No. Because the roster isn’t finished.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I don’t think that’s unreasonable, when it comes to expectations for Miller.

That being said.. when the subject is about whether they need help? What is returning and what has come in would seem to be a significant step back with what the Rams won the Super Bowl with.

Does it mean they’re screwed? No. Because the roster isn’t finished.
Lost: Von Miller
Signed: Bobby Wagner

Lost: Darious Williams
Traded for: Troy Hill

Lost: Sebastian Jospeh-Day
Emerged: Greg Gaines

Lost: Obo Okronkwo
Lost: Troy Reeder

Developments?

Chris Garrett
Terrell Lewis
Robert Rochell

Does it really feel like "a significant step backwards"? I guess if you consider losing VM was losing a HOFer who was going to be a huge contributor at 33 and ignored the Wagner acquisition. I happen to believe it's a wash. Possibly an improvement.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Lost: Von Miller
Signed: Bobby Wagner

Lost: Darious Williams
Traded for: Troy Hill

Lost: Sebastian Jospeh-Day
Emerged: Greg Gaines

Lost: Obo Okronkwo
Lost: Troy Reeder

Developments?

Chris Garrett
Terrell Lewis
Robert Rochell

Does it really feel like "a significant step backwards"? I guess if you consider losing VM was losing a HOFer who was going to be a huge contributor at 33 and ignored the Wagner acquisition. I happen to believe it's a wash. Possibly an improvement.
A step backward from what it was in playoffs, 100%.

Can it get to a place where it’s, overall, as effective? Sure.

But, where we are now, that position and the ability to get pressure rushing 4 is significantly downgraded from what it was in the postseason.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Comparable. I'll explain. Miller is the much better player. And Fowler was the much younger player. But Fowler looked the best he ever looked in the NFL next to Donald. Not just rushing the passer but his overall play. Miller was older when he played next to Donald but he looked better (younger) than he had in 3 seasons. As far as the postseason is concerned, Miller was fantastic, which is why the Rams got him in the first place. Great players raise their level of play when it's needed most (playoffs). And yet Dante Fowler made the play of the postseason for the 2018 Rams when he got to Brees to create the OT interception.
I agree with much of what you have written there; and a fair amount from the other posts on this thread.

Strongly disagree with the 'comparable' assessment.

Glad you mentioned the Fowler pressure and hit on Brees that forced the Johnson interception in OT.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

But, where we are now, that position and the ability to get pressure rushing 4 is significantly downgraded from what it was in the postseason.
Fortunately, right now isn't the start of the season. We've still got 14 weeks until that time. And after that, another 18 weeks before the 2022 postseason. So there's time to figure it out. A whole lotta time. I'm more concerned with the secondary than I am the pass rush.

We've had 153 sacks the last 3 years and Miller had 5 of them. 290 QB hits and VM had 8 of them. 232 TFL and he had 12 of them. We had 46 Int the last 3 years and 7 of them were after Von Miller joined the Rams. I think we'll manage okay without Miller. But of course, now that Buffalo has him, they probably take the next step. And the next step for them is winning the conference championship.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I agree with much of what you have written there; and a fair amount from the other posts on this thread.

Strongly disagree with the 'comparable' assessment.

Glad you mentioned the Fowler pressure and hit on Brees that forced the Johnson interception in OT.
Okay, so Miller was a little better than Fowler for the Rams.

Fowler played 24 games with the Rams. He had 13.5 sacks, 20 TFL, 21 QBH. In his other 67 games elsewhere, he had 21.5 sacks, 24 TFL and 38 QBH. He played much, much better with the Rams (& Donald).

Miller played 8 games with the Rams. One third the number Fowler played. He had 5 sacks (15 if he played 24G....a + 1.5 over DF), 12 TFL (36 if he played 24G.....a + 16 over DF) and 8 QBH (24 if he played 24G............a + 3 over DF).

So yeah, Miller was better. "Comparable" was incorrect. Your belief is "far more dominant". I can't cosign that. How about just "better"?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Terrell Lewis returns to Los Angeles Rams’ plans​

Published: May. 31, 2022/By Mark Inabinett | minabinett@al.com
1654011229652.png

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The difference between Reeder and Wagner is greater than the difference between Hollins and Miller.

Go back and watch the highlights against the Niners and just watch Reeder. Now imagine Wagner instead.

Also, we blitzed 26% of the time anyways to get AD a one on one - we will likely do that more next year. Jones showed to be a really good blitzer.

With Hollins starting, we were near the top in the league in sacks.

With Wagner in the fold, teams should be in more 3rd and longs in general which will help the pass rush.

To me we will feel Von's loss in the playoffs - but it could be offset by Wagner. And during the regular season, our defense is going to be a lot better.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The difference between Reeder and Wagner is greater than the difference between Hollins and Miller.

Go back and watch the highlights against the Niners and just watch Reeder. Now imagine Wagner instead.

Also, we blitzed 26% of the time anyways to get AD a one on one - we will likely do that more next year. Jones showed to be a really good blitzer.

With Hollins starting, we were near the top in the league in sacks.

With Wagner in the fold, teams should be in more 3rd and longs in general which will help the pass rush.

To me we will feel Von's loss in the playoffs - but it could be offset by Wagner. And during the regular season, our defense is going to be a lot better.
Good stuff.

I think I mentioned earlier that the D could be better. I'm not a "doom and gloom" guy about the D next season. They do not have anyone on the roster who can come close to what Von gave them in the playoffs. That's just a fact. Edge rusher is the most important position on defense.. (unless you can end up with an absolute freak of nature like Aaron Donald who can destroy games on the inside) .. just look at where the money goes on defenses around the league and you'll see that as a fact.

Rushing the QB with 4 will be tougher for the Rams without him.

The Rams actually lead the league in sacks for a week before they got Von.

My hopes hinge on what you alluded to with more 3rd and longs... AND a good chance that the secondary will be appreciably better than last season. But if the secondary doesn't take a step forward, it could be tough without that kind of heath coming from the edge that Von brought.

And, again... the roster isn't finished. I think they'll end up adding an edge at some point. It's what they do.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Having Wagner calling the defense over a 2nd yr deep safety Jordan Fuller is one serious sizeable difference too.

The more I ponder on Wagner being the leader of this Championship Defense the more enthusiastic I become.....I become less concerned over the other bookend combo of Floyd/?

Wagner has LB'ers like Jones, Howard & Floyd at his disposal feels good to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I can agree with this but either way our defense is going to be much different this year. More sound vs the run for sure. I can't wait to see what Wagner can add to this unit. He might have a lot of impact just in terms of its mentality snap to snap which by itself can result in better numbers.

But basically the season rests on the secondary. Because regardless they're gonna have to cover better than they did last season, and not just talking corners.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having Wagner calling the defense over a 2nd yr deep safety Jordan Fuller is one serious sizeable difference too.

The more I ponder on Wagner being the leader of this Championship Defense the more enthusiastic I become.....I become less concerned over the other bookend combo of Floyd/?

Wagner has LB'ers like Jones, Howard & Floyd at his disposal feels good to me.
It's crazy how much better this ILB room is going to be this year. Adding Wagner and also Jones going into year two and learning tricks of the trade from him. Howard gets hurt but he's great depth. And I expect Hummel will round out the unit as fourth on that depth chart, his film shows a guy who should fit nicely. He's got good range and isn't shy with contact.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Here were the edge rushers for the Rams 2020 #1 NFL defense (sacks/TFL/QBH).

Leonard Floyd (10.5 / 11 / 19)
Samson Ebukam (4.5 / 3 / 7)
Justin Hollins (3 / 3 / 5)
Terrell Lewis (2 / 2 / 4)
Obo Okoronkwo (1 / 1 / 3)
Jachai Polite ( 1 / 1 / 1)

#2 in sacks
#1 in passing yards allowed
#1 overall defense

Plus we have 2 youngsters (Garrett and Hardy) to push those 3 guys remaining from the 2020 defensive roster.

Here's the plan (maybe).......
Play solid defense vs the run
Score 30+ PPG on offense
Pressure the opposing QB

I know if we had Von Miller, it would be a slam dunk to run it back. We may excel anyway without him only to lose to he and his Buffalo Bills in the SB.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Terrell Lewis Has Confidence In Current Outside Linebackers Group​

Published on05/31/2022

AUTHOR​

Matt Peralta

Even though the Los Angeles Rams will be returning most of the core from its Super Bowl LVI roster, there is a perception that they could use more help at outside linebacker.

Von Miller, a key part of their championship run, left the Rams in free agency for the Buffalo Bills and left a sizable hole on the opposite side of Leonard Floyd. However, the Rams decided not to address the position in the draft or free agency and are instead riding with the players currently on the team.

One name to watch out for is Terrell Lewis, who has been participating in voluntary workouts during the offseason. Lewis acknowledged Miller took the group to new heights, but is appreciative of the Rams’ confidence in who they still have, via Stu Jackson of TheRams.com:
“I think it just gives us the same confidence we kind of had going into the season last year,” Lewis told theRams.com after Monday’s OTA practice. “We knew last year we had the same group, so it really just was like, ‘Ok, they trust that we’ll get to the same point with the same mob that we had. We started out with 7-1 with this same group. They ultimately know who they have in their room and feel confident like, ‘Ok, we can do well with this group.’ Von was a great addition, it only took us to a higher level.”
Los Angeles has shown the propensity to grow and develop their own players so they can handle larger responsibilities on the field, and it looks like they are doing the same with their linebacker core. Last year, many people called for them to invest more in their offensive line but that unit would go on to be one of the best ones in the NFL.

Should players like Lewis step up and be impactful opposite of Floyd, L.A. will be in great shape to defend their crown.

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure I can agree with this but either way our defense is going to be much different this year. More sound vs the run for sure. I can't wait to see what Wagner can add to this unit. He might have a lot of impact just in terms of its mentality snap to snap which by itself can result in better numbers.

But basically the season rests on the secondary. Because regardless they're gonna have to cover better than they did last season, and not just talking corners.

Wagner was 2nd team all pro

Reeder was one of the worst ILBs in the league

Hollins was an average starter

Von was nowhere close to 2nd team all pro

?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

?
Do you honestly think Von's play is up for debate here. His ass was coasting hard prior to joining this staff and none of his 2021 Denver film really shows who he was with us, which was a force of nature off that edge in both phases. He changed this defense during that run.

So nobody we have on the roster is going to equal him. Period. Knowing that, what Les and Sean have tried to do is capitalize on Wagner being available by boosting the run defense and reloading the secondary.

The run defense should be excellent. Thus the pass defense is going to determine our season. If this secondary can improve, then they might be able to overall still field a good defense. But those dudes are going to have to cover this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

?
Okay points,just not a fair break down.? Saying that Reeder I’m a fan of. SJD69 & Reeder will do good with the Chargers.

Von Miller & Bobby Wagner ? The NFL valued Von Miller money wise much more than Bobby Wagner.

Reeder won’t even start at MLB & will play special teams which none of the other players will.

Hollins was looking good last season at training camp & was a starter.He got moved around after he came back healthy & Von was starting.He should have a breakout season.

Bobby Wagner will be calling the plays & an extension of Raheem Morris.:His value should make a big difference at MLB for The Rams.

IMO Wagner will make the DB group better because it separates them from the front 7(6) ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I believe we here in ROD all observed ER Floyd last season having issues with his lower leg/Ankle.

His play was generally good but LF he was much better in 2020. Let's hope that whatever the issue was in that area has been repaired, and well-healed for the beginning of TC.

Veterans LF & BW working next to each other in that LB'er lineup is going to make it hard on those teams running to the right. I certainly looking forward to seeing him playing at his best this season.

Cameron DaSilva June 2, 2022
1654179736381.png

Leonard Floyd popped up on the Rams’ injury report a few times last season with an ankle issue, but he didn’t miss a single game. He played all 17 regular-season contests and was on the field for all four playoff games.

What most people didn’t know is just how severe the injury was. Floyd revealed on Wednesday that he had offseason surgery on his right ankle to repair the issue that he played through all year.

“I’m taking my time, coming back from a surgery. I’m looking forward to being back next week, doing a whole lot more,” he said. “I pretty much played the whole season, I had injured it in camp last year. Yeah, I battled through the whole season and got it cleaned up and I’ll be good to go this season.”

Floyd was still very productive for the Rams, recording 9.5 sacks and 18 QB hits. He likely would’ve put up even better numbers if he was fully healthy, which is why he’s looking forward to being back at 100% this season.

There were days last year when he could barely walk after practice.

“It’s a tough injury,” he said. “There was days after practice, I wouldn’t really be able to walk around the house. But you got to sacrifice if you want to win. We probably wouldn’t have gotten the Super Bowl if I didn’t play. So it’s part of the sacrifice and I’m glad I did it.”

Floyd has been a great addition to the Rams defense the last two years, recording 20 sacks, 37 QB hits, 18 tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles. His 20 sacks and two forced fumbles are more than he had in four seasons with the Bears.

Last edited: