Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Wasn't Jets - just checked. Akers was completely covered on 3rd and 4.

And the Rams should have kicked a 55 yard FG on 4th and 4
It was Henderson on the sideline, not Akers. I know the play, can't remember the opponent.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
If I am McVay I tell Stanford to not change anything. This is who he is.

I am not certain if it is a risk taking issue. He seems to make poor reads at times. A lot like Goff.

Is he two first round picks better than Goff? I am not certain.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I am not certain if it is a risk taking issue. He seems to make poor reads at times. A lot like Goff.

It's the pressures mostly right now I think. McVay needs to accept that with this QB/OL combo he doesn't have an ability to throw-throw-throw because protections break down too quickly at times and Stafford puts up dumbass throws when that happens.

He can still take shots and all just be more careful on doing it situationally. We have a good offense it's just not secure on deep drops without that run action.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the pressures mostly right now I think. McVay needs to accept that with this QB/OL combo he doesn't have an ability to throw-throw-throw because protections break down too quickly at times and Stafford puts up dumbass throws when that happens.

He can still take shots and all just be more careful on doing it situationally. We have a good offense it's just not secure on deep drops without that run action.
He wasn't pressured on either INT. The guy falls in love with the deep ball and forces INTs. He had Van wide open. He had Kupp breaking open. And he still forced it into triple coverage. He made up for it in the end, but I don't know how you get through to him on taking what the defense is giving.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He wasn't pressured on either INT. The guy falls in love with the deep ball and forces INTs. He had Van wide open. He had Kupp breaking open. And he still forced it into triple coverage. He made up for it in the end, but I don't know how you get through to him on taking what the defense is giving.
If you look at his recent run of INTs pressure is a consistent factor. It does not excuse him nor did I say that. But it's been a problem.

And sure let's disagree.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I think in some ways, the days of being a Detroit Lion and having to force passes and make ill advised throws to try and make something happen are what we see sometimes. Hopefully a full off-season will get those things out of his head.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
It's clear that Stafford can light it up when he's on, but he's streaky and my question is whether he can run the gauntlet of trying to win 4 straight games against playoff teams to get the Lombardi? 6 turnovers in two games is not good by any measure. Had Lamar Jackson been playing, I wonder how this one would have turned out?

The defense bailed us out but against the better teams, that's going to be a tall order.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If you look at his recent run of INTs pressure is a consistent factor. It does not excuse him nor did I say that. But it's been a problem.

And sure let's disagree.
I'm going to have to disagree as well.
The pick-6s against the Titans, Packers and Ravens were all just bad reads and throws.

I just went back and looked at all three and, I'm sorry, those were all Stafford.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Actually it's not. He's never been Aaron Rodgers careful about avoiding turnovers but this is the most interceptions he's thrown in eight seasons. Following up one interception by throwing another - that's not typical Matt Stafford.
He's got the most pick-6s in the NFL among active QBs by an appreciable margin and this is the second time in his career he's thrown 4 pick-6s in a season.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's clear that Stafford can light it up when he's on, but he's streaky and my question is whether he can run the gauntlet of trying to win 4 straight games against playoff teams to get the Lombardi? 6 turnovers in two games is not good by any measure. Had Lamar Jackson been playing, I wonder how this one would have turned out?

The defense bailed us out but against the better teams, that's going to be a tall order.
Jackson was sucking before his injury. There have been numerous times in the last 4 games when I thought the backup looked better.

jacktheripper85

Starter

The difference between Stafford and Goff is that if Stafford throws 2 or 3 picks he usually has 2 or 3 TD passes and we are still in the game. With Goff if he had 2 or 3 picks/fumbles he would also have 0 TD passes and the game was over by the 4th quarter.

Goff just doesn’t have the talent that Stafford has to make up for his mistakes.

tempests

Hall of Fame
This is his tenth season with more than 10 ints. He's got 13 this season, which is tied for 4th most in his career.

This is very much who he is.
15 interceptions. The most since 2013.

No, it's not who he is. But this is a pointless argument.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
15 interceptions. The most since 2013.

No, it's not who he is. But this is a pointless argument.
Oh, I'm sorry.
And I miscounted.. that's still only his 4th most... and this would be in 16 games.

How you can suggest that "it's not who he is" when, clearly, he's done this kind of thing multiple times, is something I can't wrap my head around.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Oh, I'm sorry.
And I miscounted.. that's still only his 4th most... and this would be in 16 games.

How you can suggest that "it's not who he is" when, clearly, he's done this kind of thing multiple times, is something I can't wrap my head around.
He threw more than 10 interceptions every year in first half of his career but for the last 4 (or 5, I just closed the tab and I'm not looking out up again) years he's thrown 10, with the exception of a half year when he the 5 and one year he threw 11. It would appear that around 4-5 years ago he started limiting himself to 10 interceptions per year. This is a departure from that new norm.

He has a clear trend of an improvement in the recent past.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He threw more than 10 interceptions every year in first half of his career but for the last 4 (or 5, I just closed the tab and I'm not looking out up again) years he's thrown 10, with the exception of a half year when he the 5 and one year he threw 11. It would appear that around 4-5 years ago he started limiting himself to 10 interceptions per year. This is a departure from that new norm.

He has a clear trend of an improvement in the recent past.

Sure.
He's grown.
But he's done this before and throws picks at a decent and has thrown more in seasons in his career. Wanna call it regression? Sure!
Saying it isn't who he is? Well, no.. he's show it is part of who he is as a QB.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Sure.
He's grown.
But he's done this before and throws picks at a decent and has thrown more in seasons in his career. Wanna call it regression? Sure!
Saying it isn't who he is? Well, no.. he's show it is part of who he is as a QB.
Meh. You're arguing about definitions of terms now. We agreed to the core of the matter and you want to argue about what to label it. Have fun.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Meh. You're arguing about definitions of terms now. We agreed to the core of the matter and you want to argue about what to label it. Have fun.

Whatever.
He's well within the range of who he's been in his career.
And his pick 6s are a recurring theme.

It doesn't mean he's damned to failure and can't win. It means he's a guy who does this.