Stafford concerns have come full circle after the Vikings game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Q729

Legend
Too much pressure trying to live up to his "Saviour" designation.

It's the pressures mostly right now I think. McVay needs to accept that with this QB/OL combo he doesn't have an ability to throw-throw-throw because protections break down too quickly at times and Stafford puts up dumbass throws when that happens.

He can still take shots and all just be more careful on doing it situationally. We have a good offense it's just not secure on deep drops without that run action.

May I ask you a question Merlin (or Grand Wizard..whatever you prefer)? Why does a supposed Genius like McVay go into empty sets in the red zone on 1st and 10? Why are we giving them that edge of knowing its a pass? I am starting to think that McVay is trying to pad Staffords stats wherever he can and is risking turnovers for no good reason. Do you agree?

Psycho_X

Legend
Interceptions don't bother me, Stafford will throw them because he's a gunslinger. He just needs to stop with the pick 6s. Yes those have been worse than Goff's turnovers. But on the other hand Stafford will likely finish the season with 40 touchdowns, give or take one, which Goff barely sniffed only once in 2018 with 32... usually ending in the low 20s. So the production is far greater under Stafford on the other side too. It's a troubling thing but it hasn't kept us from winning yet (generally speaking). He'll have to be a little bit smarter come playoff time though. I can't blame playcalling because usually there's a dude open somewhere and he just forces something. But I would certainly like to see less empty backfields when we're that close to our endzone.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Stafford on the other side too. It's a troubling thing but it hasn't kept us from winning yet (generally speaking). He'll have to be a little bit smarter come playoff time though. I can't blame

This is what currently scares me as I re-watch that horrible pick 6 from today.
Will he?
Will Stafford be a little bit smarter come playoffs? I think that's what worries a lot of us.

FYI, I prefer Stafford over Goff for sure.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
May I ask you a question Merlin (or Grand Wizard..whatever you prefer)? Why does a supposed Genius like McVay go into empty sets in the red zone on 1st and 10? Why are we giving them that edge of knowing its a pass? I am starting to think that McVay is trying to pad Staffords stats wherever he can and is risking turnovers for no good reason. Do you agree?
I think he likes to throw in the redzone. He has a shitty history too of redzone performance, through several different teams calling the offense. I don't think it's about Stafford, but who knows really.

I also think we don't have a great set of tools for redzone passing. Kupp's great anywhere. But the rest of these guys aren't great options. Odell I think is going to be enormously important for that reason. But yes I think he does that too much. Basically he thinks he's got the advantage but IMO the protections are not as good as he thinks and his QB has not handled pressure well.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Interceptions don't bother me, Stafford will throw them because he's a gunslinger. He just needs to stop with the pick 6s. Yes those have been worse than Goff's turnovers. But on the other hand Stafford will likely finish the season with 40 touchdowns, give or take one, which Goff barely sniffed only once in 2018 with 32... usually ending in the low 20s. So the production is far greater under Stafford on the other side too. It's a troubling thing but it hasn't kept us from winning yet (generally speaking). He'll have to be a little bit smarter come playoff time though. I can't blame playcalling because usually there's a dude open somewhere and he just forces something. But I would certainly like to see less empty backfields when we're that close to our endzone.

Non-sarcastic question..
What does "gunslinger" mean to you?

So you know that I'm not trying to play some kind of word game trap... I think it's a QB who has the confidence to take shots in high-risk, high reward situations.
Stafford's ints are not that, this season, from what I've seen. He's much more hot and cold and when he's cold can make some hard to believe bad decisions.
When he's hot, he does stuff like he did against Az last time and it's beautiful.

That's not what I call a "gunslinger".. that's just inconsistent, to me.

MachS

Hall of Fame
What does "gun slinger" mean to you
I agree he's a gunslinger in the context that he thinks his arm is all time NFL elite. He wont hesitate to make any and every throw and try things that other QBs wont or shouldn't try. That will lead to bad turnovers. Does he make mental mistakes or bad throw INTs too? Of course he does. If you listen to his press conference today, talking about trying to QB a game winning drive late in the 4th quarter, that will tell you everything you need to know about him. The dude thinks he can beat anyone with his arm. Is he right? Maybe..maybe not.. but that's the confidence he brings.

That's not what I call a "gunslinger".. that's just inconsistent, to me.

The fact that the guy has literally doubled the passing TD production from Goff in 2019 and 2020 should tell you all you need to know. Goff was turning the ball over even more, but had half the TDs. I think he needs to improve, but at least were never out of a game. And it's not like he's been turning the ball over like this the entire season. The first 10 or so games he was excellent, so that shows he can improve and get back to the form where he's protecting it better. Because I agree he will need to protect it better for us to win the big games in the playoffs.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Stafford throws picks, and worse, he throws pick-sixes. Also, this is pretty much the first time he hasn't had to do it all himself, all game, all season long. Now I know, someone will point out this season or that, in which Detroit had a decent D, or a great wideout, etc. Fact of the matter is, he's NEVER had this good a team and coach. Never.
OTOH...watch him on that last drive. Boom boom boom, touchdown. Did you ever feel like Goff was gonna do that? DID he ever do it?? If we are close in the 4th, we have a guy that go can win it. So, we have a puncher's chance. If we get 3 touchdown, no interception Matt against GB, we win. If we get 2 td, 2 int and a pick-six Matt, we lose.

TexasRam

Legend
Mcvay was livid with Stafford after that deep interception into triple coverage while Jefferson and Kupp were wide open for huge gains.

Unless you are in complete denial it's clear both Staffords decision making and accuracy are huge problems.

He is still a super talented QB with a huge arm and when he is on he might be able to take out a team like Green Bay.

But can he string 3 straight playoff wins together where he plays like he did against Arizona?

I don't know man. The way he consistently misses open targets makes you wonder.

The ball security is now a massive concern.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I agree he's a gunslinger in the context that he thinks his arm is all time NFL elite. He wont hesitate to make any and every throw and try things that other QBs wont or shouldn't try. That will lead to bad turnovers. Does he make mental mistakes or bad throw INTs too? Of course he does. If you listen to his press conference today, talking about trying to QB a game winning drive late in the 4th quarter, that will tell you everything you need to know about him. The dude thinks he can beat anyone with his arm. Is he right? Maybe..maybe not.. but that's the confidence he brings.

The fact that the guy has literally doubled the passing TD production from Goff in 2019 and 2020 should tell you all you need to know. Goff was turning the ball over even more, but had half the TDs. I think he needs to improve, but at least were never out of a game. And it's not like he's been turning the ball over like this the entire season. The first 10 or so games he was excellent, so that shows he can improve and get back to the form where he's protecting it better. Because I agree he will need to protect it better for us to win the big games in the playoffs.
You're having two different conversations.
So, you and I definitely have different definitions of what a "gunslinger" is and I pretty clearly defined mine. Taking a chance on a risky throw that could result in a big payoff. I've seen multiple ints from him this year, including the three pick-6s that were his fault, that were just bad reads and throws in situations where the downside was really high and the upside was minimal.

The fact that he's doubled Goff's production is very much noted.. but.. again.. his ints haven't been high risk high reward throws.. .they've just been bad. They haven't been forced throws into coverage at the goal line.. they've just been bad throws and reads.

Anyway.. love that he had the intestinal and mental fortitude to come back from those errors.
In the playoffs, it's not likely other teams will allow you to be in the position to do that.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Cmon Stafford is point shaving. He's been betting on Ram games all season. #NoBiggie

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I DVR'd the game and only saw the last drive. Good job by Stafford getting us in the end zone,

But without a pick six and another INT, wouldn't we have been putting nails in the coffin on that last drive?
Yes, that's true. I referring specifically to the last drive. Of course he shouldn't have those blunders, but adversity happens and it's how you overcome it when the game is on the line.

RamsOfCastamere

It's definitely an upgrade in that aspect.
But... no, it doesn't make it worth it. That was abysmal. That game should've been a cakewalk.
The Jets almost beat the Bucs today and GB only beat the Ravens by 1 pt as well. You can't assume every game should be a cakewalk.
I'm not excusing the recent pick sixes, he has to clean those up. But we wouldn't have the 2nd best record in the NFL and control of the two seed without him as well.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Goff had Gurley, who took a good portion of the td's.

RamsOfCastamere

Goff very rarely threw an interception or fumbled the ball in the 4th qtr. before 4th down. I don't really consider an interception on 4th down to be a turnover. That is trying to make a play when no one is open and if you don't complete the pass the other team gets it anyway.

So if you are talking about his turnovers in the 1st half when they had a lead or had a chance to take the lead then yes you are right

Now - did he make comebacks the last two years - no something always got messed up

He either had a lead and the defense blew it or the receivers dropped key passes in the 4th quarter (and we got rid of two of the biggest culprits - Reynolds and Everett).

He definitely could have played better in those games especially in the first half so I am glad we got Stafford but turning it over on game winning drives was something Goff didn't do.
I'm referring to game-winning situations, the final offensive possession or two.

In the Superbowl, he throw that INT at the end of the game.

Against the Bucs in 2019, Goff fumbled the ball when we had a chance to tie with just over 1 min left on the clock.

There were other situations similar to this where we gave up the ball during a chance for a game winning drive.

If we need 1 more possession to tie or win the game, I'm more optimistic that we can score with Stafford than with Goff. I'm sure others feel the same way too.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Yes, that's true. I referring specifically to the last drive. Of course he shouldn't have those blunders, but adversity happens and it's how you overcome it when the game is on the line.
Adversity happens 3 time zones away from home, in a loud, hostile environment.

Someone pointed out that he was 14-14 in the second half.

Overcame it pretty well.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Jets almost beat the Bucs today and GB only beat the Ravens by 1 pt as well. You can't assume every game should be a cakewalk.
I'm not excusing the recent pick sixes, he has to clean those up. But we wouldn't have the 2nd best record in the NFL and control of the two seed without him as well.
He had 3 very preventable TO's today that all resulted in points or lack of points.

If not for a solid effort on D (Stafford essentially scored the Ravens only TD)... against a somewhat challenged offense, there would not have been any late game heroics.

We were fortunate this wasn't a playoff game against a good offense....and the fact that the Raven secondary is still sub par since losing both starting CBs.