Stafford and those 2 first-rounders - worth it?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I said it then and I still think it’s true. If you believed in Goff, the trade made no sense. If you were ready to move on from Goff, it made all the sense in the world.

We have a window with Donald and Ramsey. You don’t spend that window looking for a QB or developing a rookie if you can grab a top 5-10 guy in his prime.

I agree. I thought Goff was good, but it looked like he regressed after the super bowl loss.

Stafford clearly has a better command of McVay's offense but we've seen at times the bad Stafford (Tennessee, Green Bay and the first whiners game). We can't afford slows starts so I hope he's on. I think it helps if we can run the ball because it will keep the defense from only playing the pass.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Lol, dopey is being kind. Clueless is more accurate, including myself.
I will say in my defense, i've openly stated here that i'm not much of a QB evaluator in terms of college prospects. Furthermore, once i began to actually really pay attention and look at Stafford following the trade i was FULLY on board
To be fair there were a lot of people on this board thinking the same way, and most came around after watching film or seeing him in the preseason. Many wanted to keep Goff because we saw what he could be in 2018, or trading the two 1st rounders, Stafford's age, etc. etc. But a lot of the hardline pro-Goff crowd that are relatively rational and objective football fans eventually saw the difference in their game. I would say there are only a few people left that still don't like this trade and would prefer Goff. A slim few.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd prefer it if you linked it in here. The other pre trade thread has already been bumped by someone and re-activated to the front page.

Crap, sorry, it was me. I necro'd the thread.

What's funny and demonstrates I have no memory is that I quoted the same post... once after the trade giving myself the jam and then a year later...same post... giving myself even more of the jam...LOL.

Let's just say that ROD as a whole failed the test in that thread...LOL. almost none of us got anything right... it's kinda funny to read through it knowing what we know now hahahaha.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well he is very unlikely to get a 120 passer rating vs SF. This one should bring him back to earth a bit. :laugh4:

I'm not selling Stafford short anymore!!! Dude is on an historic run in the playoffs and I'm riding it!!!

MachS

Hall of Fame
Kudos to @MachS i know we had a...disagreement (lol) recently but man he looked like to be the only one that nailed it.

I swear that day was one of those "recall exactly what you were doing" type moments. I was settling in watching a long ass Bollywood movie, and then got the push notification. Needless to say I have no idea what happened in that movie. I was pretty salty with the way the season ended, but thankfully looking back i was confident in the move. And well, here we are in January not caring about draft picks haha.
No worries bro it's all love. I've had more heated arguments here over the years lol, we're just all passionate Rams fans. And while I would say there were a fair amount that weren't happy with the trade, there were some that liked it, and a lot of people were probably somewhere in the middle.
But yea I told ya'll mofos! :laugh4:. Now its time for him to get us to and WIN the SB.

1643089802685.png

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Just reread most of the 149 page thread after the trade.

We've come a long way, baby!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For my part, been consistent from the moment the trade went down. I do not care about first round picks when we can get a player like this.

Good read, this:

Pretty much everything has played out how I thought it would so far. I had NFCCG as the minimum goal. The only thing I didn't see is still struggling with the Niners.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The current draft pick value of the Rams first rounder is 600. The number one overall pick is valued at 3000. Two late second rounders add up to 600.

WHERE those first round picks matter. Indy's pick for Wentz is valued at 1000... so, some perspective.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I've made plenty of mistakes trying to predict what will happen to our Rams... but so far, I've been vindicated in my instinct to trust that McVay and Snead are smart and capable and know what the F they're doing. I was one of the few posters who did NOT trash the Stafford trade. (And yeah, I was ready to move on from Goff at the time of the trade.)

Most of the "hot takes" were really pretty awful in that initial Stafford trade thread.

Yet another reminder to appreciate McVay, IMHO. Yeah he occasionally makes mistakes, but he's usually right. Big time.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
This year it was absolutely a great move.

Next year we will see.

At that point the capital will have been cashed in and we will see what we have.

I sure wish we could have had a Stafford when he was first drafted. He was my guy back then. True leader we seemed to not be able to obtain.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I agree. I thought Goff was good, but it looked like he regressed after the super bowl loss.

"Regressed" has been the general thinking term here. Goff was stifled when defenses began choking the middle. He couldn't adjust his game to how McVay wanted him to run this offense so they dealt him.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Seems like Staff's always got a stick mark or three on that helmet too man. And that one btw is a good one.
I’m impressed of your use of “stick mark” Lol, I remember banging my helmet in the locker room, obviously Stafford acquired his somewhere around mid field

Bravo

TexasRam

Legend
No one ever questioned Stafford has talent. The football world has always questioned his consistency.

I hope to God he can stay consistent for two more games and justify the trade. If we see the inconsistent Stafford show up there isn’t one NFL talking head that will not question the trade.

Beating a flailing Cardinals team and a Tampa team with a beat up Oline and two Pro Bowl WR’s was expected.

Beating the Niners in a Championship game and winning a Super Bow is where Stafford justifies the trade.

A lot of pre ejaculation going on here :laugh1:let’s save that load until we are up in that thing.

Last edited:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
No one ever questioned Stafford has talent. The football world has always questioned his consistency.

I hope to God he can stay consistent for two more games and justify the trade. If we see the inconsistent Stafford show up there isn’t one NFL talking head that will not question the trade.

Beating a flailing Cardinals team and a Tampa team with a beat up Oline and two Pro Bowl WR’s was expected.

Beating the Niners in a Championship game and winning a Super Bow is where Stafford justifies the trade.

A lot of pre ejaculation going on here :laugh1:let’s save that load until we are up in that thing.
I don't see it that way at all, anymore.

His performance against Tampa was a game-winning difference. I don't know why you mentioned their oline problems.. Stafford wasn't playing them. What he was playing against was a healthy Tampa D for the first time all season. Stafford's performance at the end of the game will go down as one of the most incredible moments in Rams playoff history.

His performance made this year's first rounder traded for him drop in value.

He was worth it.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I don't see it that way at all, anymore.

His performance against Tampa was a game-winning difference. I don't know why you mentioned their oline problems.. Stafford wasn't playing them. What he was playing against was a healthy Tampa D for the first time all season. Stafford's performance at the end of the game will go down as one of the most incredible moments in Rams playoff history.

His performance made this year's first rounder traded for him drop in value.

He was worth it.
This 1000 times. Stafford played against one of the top defensive teams in the NFL. Thdy had all hands on deck ready to go, no excuses. The same D that propelled them to a SB last season and Stafford's play was great. He did his job and won us that game when teammates decided to fumble it away.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I'm sure McVay is breathing easier now that his ROD doubters are finally onboard with the Stafford move.

Status
Not open for further replies.